PDA

View Full Version : Sooo Tired Of Timed Action Sequences in AC2...

Flora-Steel
12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry Ubisoft but I've reached a point where I'm really depressed and tired of all the timed action sequences in this game. I've finished all but the last tomb successfully but now it's 'here we go again'. I'm going to see if I can just take the main course and finish the game and forget about all the other crap now. I'm not even going to bother finishing up the feathers and treasures which are easy but time consuming. I hate what this game has developed into for me. These challenges ruin the story for me and that ruins the game. I've dropped my 360 rating down from 4 stars to 2 stars. Thanks a lot...

Need to edit in that I think the main reason I am having so much trouble with timed action sequences in this game is because imo the jumping mechanics just doesn't work well often enough and I'm repeating things over and over again trying to get the jumps right. It's been easy enough to figure out where to go during a parkour and it has been fun when Ezio is successful at it but to often he hangs from a platform instead of standing on it or jumps off at 45 degrees into the water instead of jumping straight to a ledge, etc. etc. etc. This has really screwed me so many times during Races that that was the first event I gave up on. Giving up on the last tomb is really really disappointing...

I am 'exactly' annoyed at the 'timed action sequences' wherever they occur in the game when I cannot control Ezio easily enough to avoid having to play a sequence over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... and over again. Get it?

EzioAssassin51
12-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Ouch... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Dachande_
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
How very dramatic. Im on my third play through at the moment and though there are faults to be found,im still loving it and cant stop playing.

edit: That doesnt mean the game is broken though,it just means that you are finding it difficult..thats not enough reason to condemn Ubisoft and give the game such a thrashing.

thekyle0
12-18-2009, 07:49 PM
There's a reason your rating drops. It's supposed to reflect how good you are at the game. If your rating is bad, then you're bad at the game. It's a direct relationship.

Flora-Steel
12-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Dachande_:
How very dramatic. Im on my third play through at the moment and though there are faults to be found,im still loving it and cant stop playing.

edit: That doesnt mean the game is broken though,it just means that you are finding it difficult..thats not enough reason to condemn Ubisoft and give the game such a thrashing. The hell it doesn't! If nothing else it makes me feel better.

Flora-Steel
12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by thekyle0:
There's a reason your rating drops. It's supposed to reflect how good you are at the game. If your rating is bad, then you're bad at the game. It's a direct relationship. I manually dropped the rating because I am tired of all the timed action sequences that I am so poor at. Better jumping mechanics in the game would help. Maybe after I finish the game I'll raise it to three stars.

Dachande_
12-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I have to admit the whole Rating thing is news to me since i dont have XBL..im waiting for the PC version and bought the 360 version because i couldnt wait =) Either way,with regards to the OP,rating or not,condemning the game because it is proving difficult isnt very reasonable.

Flora-Steel
12-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Dachande_:
I have to admit the whole Rating thing is news to me since i dont have XBL..im waiting for the PC version and bought the 360 version because i couldnt wait =) Either way,with regards to the OP,rating or not,condemning the game because it is proving difficult isnt very reasonable. I'm not condeming the game. I'm expressing my frustration in the difficult timed action sequences. Two stars is my rating, not yours. It's my opinion, not yours. You don't have to reply...

Iskander_Estel
12-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Flora-Steel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dachande_:
I have to admit the whole Rating thing is news to me since i dont have XBL..im waiting for the PC version and bought the 360 version because i couldnt wait =) Either way,with regards to the OP,rating or not,condemning the game because it is proving difficult isnt very reasonable. I'm not condeming the game. I'm expressing my frustration in the difficult timed action sequences. Two stars is my rating, not yours. It's my opinion, not yours. You don't have to reply... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well the guy is right

the parkour mechanics are poor and Ezio make a lot of stupid things when you're in a hurry
but even so you have to adapt to the game errors and use them to complete you're goals.

But if something don't like you, don't do it then.

Dachande_
12-18-2009, 08:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dachande_:
I have to admit the whole Rating thing is news to me since i dont have XBL..im waiting for the PC version and bought the 360 version because i couldnt wait =) Either way,with regards to the OP,rating or not,condemning the game because it is proving difficult isnt very reasonable. I'm not condeming the game. I'm expressing my frustration in the difficult timed action sequences. Two stars is my rating, not yours. It's my opinion, not yours. You don't have to reply... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im not trying to be antagonistic,im genuinley interested in why your having such problems with the game,you seem to me to be a person that has at least some affinity for AC and you seem let down by the difficulty your having with certain parts of the gameplay..ie,your not a troll^^ lol Perhaps i was hasty in using words like "condemning" but you must admit that your original post is rather passionate,but subtle =) I have had loads of truly irritating moments in AC2 aswell,especially during timed races and such..there should be an achievement for jumping to your death lol Either way,its just sad to see that your forming a negative opinion of a great game over some difficulty problems..stick with it and you will be rewarded..a bit cliched i know lol but true^^

Dachande_
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Iskander_Estel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flora-Steel:

well the guy is right

the parkour mechanics are poor and Ezio make a lot of stupid things when you're in a hurry
but even so you have to adapt to the game errors and use them to complete you're goals.

But if something don't like you, don't do it then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt call the Parkour mechanics poor to be honest,i disagree there,you just need to pay attention..it isnt Ezio that makes the stupid mistakes..its the player controlling him..id hate AC2 if it was just a matter of going High Profile and auto-scaling an entire city with no thought whatsoever.

I personally think that most of the mistakes that happen during parkour incidences are due to the camera,if your running towards a climbable object with the camera directly behind you and you need to jump left,most players will just mash the joystick foward because thats the direction you are running..which will result in some horrible,jarring mistake that interrupts the flow of things lol However if you go and attempt that same run again,and this time use the joystick to actually direct your jump..it will work^^ Im glad AC2 works this way,otherwise it would just be Spider-man land.

Bampire
12-18-2009, 08:45 PM
As annoying as they can be, they're apart of the game. Many people love these and many people don't.

This is what happens when you play an action-adventure game. Most of these game genre's have timed sequences.

senile old coot
12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
the sequences are supposed to ''challenge the player'' and by the sounds of it you are evidently challenged by them. challenges ftw!

as for the parkour mechanics...well everything Dachande said tbh.

POSEIDON87
12-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I actually understand where the OP is coming from... Not saying I share his opinion with the game and the developers.

And I'm not saying I had trouble with the TAS 'Times Action Sequences'. Actually, It never took me more then 3 tries on certain TAS's to complete it.

What you have to do is study them, look around, even if the TAS is over and you haven't completed it, study your environments, practice. Plan out, study and practice some more.

That's what I did. It took some time, and yes, I got frustrated sometimes but I never gave up.

You shouldn't expect an easy game. AC2 is driven by the story, and it's single player gameplay. It won't give you an easy mode. It is meant to challenge the player.

And I read how you say Ezio makes some errors, or jumps in the wrong direction. When in fact my friend, YOU are the one at fault, cause YOU are controlling Ezio, not Ezio, why that would be absurd, a game character playing himself... mmm.

You have to practice more, understand where how and when to press that jump button. It's all about timing, precision and speed. Hard to master, but rewarding once done.

Flora-Steel
12-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Okay...the camera angle is part of the challenge too sometimes... In this case my greatest difficulty is wall running with a jump to the right or left at the peak of the run. With several of them in the sequence one usually fails where Ezio jumps back and sometimes back far enough that he lands in the water. Sometimes he just has to try the jump again and again. But by then you are out of time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyway, you'll all be happy to note that after a little dinner, which really helped because I was hungry...and playing out the sequence several times more...I got through it successfully and Ezio has Altair's nice set of armor at last. The game is definitely starting to come to its end. I moved my rating back up to three stars too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you for being helpful and generally tolerant of my dislike of TAS.

POSEIDON87
12-19-2009, 03:10 AM
Okay...the camera angle is part of the challenge too sometimes... In this case my greatest difficulty is wall running with a jump to the right or left at the peak of the run. With several of them in the sequence one usually fails where Ezio jumps back and sometimes back far enough that he lands in the water. Sometimes he just has to try the jump again and again. But by then you are out of time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyway, you'll all be happy to note that after a little dinner, which really helped because I was hungry...and playing out the sequence several times more...I got through it successfully and Ezio has Altair's nice set of armor at last. The game is definitely starting to come to its end. I moved my rating back up to three stars too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you for being helpful and generally tolerant of my dislike of TAS.

Yayyy, I know which Tomb you are talking about... the cavelike surrounding with stone columns and such surrounded by water... Yeahhh that was definitely the most difficult tomb sequence for me.

Fenro
12-19-2009, 03:17 AM
urgh.. you cant be searious...
Games are way to easy nowdays anyway, its hard to find a game that challenges you enough.

I never had a problem with AC2´s timed action seaquences i always though that they perhaps where "way to forgiving" as you could miss few jumps and still make it in time.

also i dont know about Xbox´s control scheme or how responsive it is, "even though i always hear this rambling how much superior controller Xbox has" but i have absolutely no problems timing or leading my jumps dirrections with my PS3 controller.

C_Seerden
12-19-2009, 03:41 AM
The 'parkour' elements of the game aren't perfect, that's true. When you don't do something right, Ezio falls and you have to climb all the way up again. I've come to a point where I almost never fall anymore, the faulty mechanics have improved my skills, which I really like. I think everyone just has his own preferences. :\

PlagueDoctor357
12-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, well if your good you don't fall anyway.

Honestly, the only problem with these games is they don't teach you good enough.

First off, when parkouring do NOT always hold the sprint button down.

When you come to the jump you want, press the button instead and aim the L stick in the direction you want to go.

The jumping mechanics on this game are actually SUPER precise when you know how to use em right.

Only hold it when you have a long straight away of planks or something.

Dachande_
12-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:

Honestly, the only problem with these games is they don't teach you good enough.

When you come to the jump you want, press the button instead and aim the L stick in the direction you want to go.

The jumping mechanics on this game are actually SUPER precise when you know how to use em right.

Well said,i agree =) Thats one of the biggest mistakes you can make in AC 1 or 2 when it comes to free running,holding down the sprint button and just expecting Altair/Ezio to flawlessly scale everything. The end result being all the aformentioned difficulties people sometimes have with the parkour.

Also,grats to the OP for clearing the final tomb,nice going =)

Kugeo
12-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:

This is true. I had difficulty in this tomb as well, but I practiced on the sidewall. My main problem as it turned out was that I was holding the right trigger down. It takes a finely tuned skill to let it go, tap the stick to the right (or left) then press jump. All this is a split second. Some people come by this naturally, but I had to learn it.