PDA

View Full Version : New rig for bob, which motherboard an graphic card?

CyberWings
02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Hello everyone,

In a few days I'll be traveling to the United Status for a short vacations and I thought this would be a good opportunity to buy new components for a new computer. I was thinking to build a complete new rig for ARMA and of course SOW: BOB http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif .
Which are the new state of the art graphic cards in these days? (I´m thinking in the future using dual graphic cards)
What motherboard would you recommend me?.
The main idea would be to buy only the moterboard or the graphic card, U$S 600 is the total amount of electronics that I can introduce in my country without paying taxes, (40 % taxes!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif )
Then I would buy the rest of the components at home.

Choctaw111
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, could you postpone your vacation? The future of PCs is always changing, for the better. Oleg has stated many times to wait until BoB is released until getting a new system for it. Many people have asked this same question countless times in the past, and the answer is ALWAYS the same. Wait for BoB. Sure, you can build a very fast machine now, and it will probably be able to handle BoB ok, but waiting is your best option. In Oleg's own words, he said that if your PC can play Il2 on maximum settings now, you may be able to play BoB in minimum to medium settings. If that's OK to you than go ahead a build a new PC now. I am waiting.

Chris0382
02-18-2008, 12:31 PM
To start get a good full size ATX motherboard that supports SLI or cross fire. I have a feeling you will need 2 GPU's boards to run BOB good.

I have a feeling BOB is going to cause a flood of used GPU and CPU's on the market.

Xiolablu3
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
DOnt bother upgrading 'for BOB', upgrade because you need it now, or you dont.

If you want a high end machine get a Core2Duo dual Core, arounda 6750 or E6800. Possibly better if you can afford it.

if you want a mid range system, then either a E6300/E6400 or AMD 5000+ system. The AMD is a bit faster out of the box, but the Intel chip is SUPPOSED to overclock a bit better. (My 4200+ AMD has no problems reaching over 5000+ speeds, so Im not sure about OCing really, its a bit of a gamble)

As for Gfx cards, the 7900GS can be had for bargain prices right now if you shop around, also ATI X1950. The 8800GT is a great card to buy right now if you are buying new. Next gen cards are about to come out also.

Its hard to say exactly what you should buy without knowing your exact budget.

If it was me, I would upgrade your motherboard/CPU and Gfx card to something mid-range now, then think about it again when BOB SOW comes out.

If you have avery slow system right now, then its worth doinga cheap mid range upgrade right now so you can play current and near future games on nice settings.

I recently bought a AMD 4200+ X2, Asus A8N deluxe SLI and a 7900GS all off EBAY for 125 total. I used my existing PC3200 memory. This was a nice cheap upgrade to keep my PC playing all the new games.

WHat is your current system, and what country do you live in??

Chris0382
02-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I forgot to mention the 9600GT's just hit the shelves (I saw one at BestBuy for $229). Its looking pretty good according to this review

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1293/10/page_10_benchmarks_crysis/index.html

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-19-2008, 05:55 AM
CPU - Intel Core2duo E6600 and up

GPU - Nvidia 8800GT or GTS (both G92)

As has already been stated, I'd suggest getting a good motherboard that supports SLI and quad processors to provide a decent upgrade path. You may want to make sure it supports PCIE 2.0 (like in the X48 chipset). PCIE 2.0 isn't too big a deal right now, but is the new standard and in a few more months may be a bigger issue.

TB

space_bandit
02-19-2008, 06:32 PM
The E8400 is very quick very over clockable and very cool and cost what my E6300 did last year. you will need a FSB1333 compatible mother board like the X38/X48 chipsets or nforce 780.

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Right now, the best 'bang for the buck' in vid cards appears to be the ATI 3870 X2. It goes head to head with the 8800 Ultra, and is close to $200.00 cheaper.

MrBlueSky1960
02-21-2008, 05:53 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif One thing I've found out is if you want to get more ram at any time, you will be restricted to only 3.5GB's max if your using the 32bit Windows OS... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

If you need any more (Say for Video Editing... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif)it would be better to use the 64bit from the start as you can't at the moment upgrade to 64bit if your rig is running a 32bit OS... This goes for both Windows XP & Vista OS

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:
Right now, the best 'bang for the buck' in vid cards appears to be the ATI 3870 X2. It goes head to head with the 8800 Ultra, and is close to $200.00 cheaper.

My 8800GTS 512 goes head to head with an Ultra under most circumstances and is almost $150 cheaper than the 3870 X2!

Here's a link to newegg showing the card I just bought for $316 a week ago is going for $289 with a 30 MIR! That's a steal:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814130325

Blottogg
02-21-2008, 05:07 PM
A recent motherboard death has got me thinking about a new system too. For now I've got a replacement board, but I hadn't realized how far behind the times my socket 939, SLI, NForce 4 chipset board had become. The only replacement I could find was from Jetway, who I've never heard of, though it seems to be behaving well.

Two questions areas that have come up in my searching are:

1) Has anyone gotten any experience with the new NVidia 780 chipset? Reviews on NewEgg seem favorable, and it supports PCIe 2.0 that TB mentioned. In a related question, does anyone know what exactly PCIe 2.0 brings to the table? The new 8800GT cards are 2.0, but I haven't seen anything listing the advantages, or any problems running them in an older PCIe "1.0" mobo.

2) 64 bit versus 32 bit OS? Vista or XP? Has the 64 bit driver situation become any better? Thinking towards "future-proofing" my next computer as much as possible, 64 bit seems to be the way to go. More memory addresses remove the 3.5GB ceiling, and allow more file addresses on the hard drive, if I understand correctly (anyone who's ever poked around inside MatManager's LONG list of files will breath a sigh of relief at that news.) Vista seems to be more future-proof too, as sooner or later DX10 will become the standard. But from what I'm reading, it's still not a "must have" one year after its debut, and 64 bit Vista seems to eat more RAM even as it provides addresses for more, relegating it to the status of expensive, high-tech space heater. Or is it actually not that bad a trade-off?

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-21-2008, 10:47 PM
For the OS...64bit all the way.

OR, you could use HyperOS 2008 like I do, and have a mix of 32 and 64 bit systems.

If it wasn't for the fact that my wife has an old geneology program that she refuses to give up, I'd be 64 bit exclusively. It was a WIN98 application, and just barely runs on XP, but she likes it, and "If momma ain't happy..ain't NOBODY happy" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

As it is, I have 2x32bit, and 4x64bit installs of XP. I find the 64bit version to be MUCH more stable than the 32, and driver support is a non-issue.

WOLFMondo
02-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Another vote for XP64.

If you get it OEM its also probably the cheapest of the better M$ OS's.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Blottogg:
...does anyone know what exactly PCIe 2.0 brings to the table? The new 8800GT cards are 2.0, but I haven't seen anything listing the advantages, or any problems running them in an older PCIe "1.0" mobo.

The only real advantage is wider bandwidth over 1.0 cards and mobos. That's really a moot point right now since PCIE 1.0 bandwidth has yet to be saturated. The only thing 2.0 will give you is some future-proofing and an upgrade path that will take advantage of it.

Regarding using a 2.0 compliant card in a 1.0-only mobo...they're backwards compatible. I run a new 8800GTS 512 in a PCIE 1.0 mobo and it's a screamer.

Monterey13
02-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Choctaw, I think your system will smoke BoB. People are playing BoB up waaaaay too much as going to need an uber system to run. Yours should play it with everything on high with no problems, just wait and see.

There are too many "oh, we gotta have the best of everything to be able to run these things" people out there.

I saw the same thing when I was racing motocross. Some people always had to have all of the latest equipment and the prettiest graphics kits. I can't count the number of those people I smoked with my '93 RM 250, and at the last, I was against 2004 models.

Don't believe all the hype.

Blottogg
02-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks TB, that's what I thought.

The motherboard that is currently occupying my "fantasy PC" (kind of like the fantasy football pools I could never get interested in) is the MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813130158). It's got the 780i chipset, 2x16 PCIe 2.0 slots for SLI, and I've had good luck with MSI in the past. They're not as tweakable as ASUS, but tend to be more user friendly, as long as you're not going for the last possible fps with bleeding edge overclocking. It's also got a heat-pipe cooling solution for the NB. Since I've had a NB fan wear out and randomly overheat the chipset, I like being able to remove as many moving parts from the system as possible. I like Lian-Li cases, which are inverted (PSU on the bottom.) I've read some comments about not putting heat pipe mobo's in inverted cases, but the more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Whether the heat pipe is between the PSU and the graphics cards, or the graphics cards and the PSU, shouldn't affect cooling. Conduction cooling doesn't care about gravity like convection does. Case airflow would be the biggest impact on cooling, and the Lian-Li is well ventilated.

The MSI also seems to have a clear area around the CPU for after-market heatsinks. Several others I've read about have a line of capacitors up against the CPU socket, which has given some users problems with non-stock heatsinks. This board isn't DDR3 compatible, but reading the problems folks are having with the boards that are, this may be a future-proofing aspect that isn't quite ready for prime-time.

The rest of my "fantasy PC" team for the moment consists of:

- XP Pro 64 bit. OldBuzzard and WOLFMondo like it, and a quick check shows that NVidia, Creative, and Symantec have compatible drivers/AV software.

- 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2 memory. the PC2 8500 (1066) sticks are reasonably priced, though the 780i chipset BIOS/drivers still seem to need some work to get the memory to run at rated speeds (one comment was to run the 1066 at 1000 for a 2:3 ratio with the 1333 FSB, and that seems to be the fastest folks have gotten the memory to reliably run with this chipset, short of going to much more expensive Dominator PC2 9136.

- 2 x BFG Tech BFGE88512GTOCE GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI. I've done SLI for my last 2 computers, but truth be told, I'm losing faith in the concept. The cost of these two cards is about the same as a bleeding edge 8800GTX, and the performance is probably within a few percent (I've got to check Tom's for a performance comparison though), but with the GTX, I wouldn't have to limit myself to SLI compatible mobo's and PSU's. I also wouldn't have to mess with the SLI configuring stuff, making the inevitable troubleshooting easier (which DVI to I plug in to? Enable SLI in the NVidia software, then reboot. AFR or SFR? etc.) I'm finally coming to realize that SLI is really only for bleeding edge systems. The old "buy one now, then buy another when you want to upgrade" yarn has a couple problems, namely future compatability and availability. If you buy an SLI mobo/PSU, then you're probably paying more for capability you can't use 'till you upgrade, and if you don't, you've got to pay for those new components when you do upgrade, in addition to finding another one of your graphics cards, which may have already been overcome by something more than twice as fast that you could more simply (and cheaply) upgrade to.

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz dual-core, provided supply ever catches up with demand. The mobo choice also allows an upgrade path to quad-core. For now and the near future though, more than two cores are just not going to be used, unless you're into heavy video editing, SETI or protein-folding. Ideally, the OS would be the traffic cop, parcelling out work to whatever cores were there, without apps having to be specifically written to use them, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

- WD Caviar HD's (320 GB and 750 GB). I used to swear by Seagate, but these days I'm swearing at them. The Seagate purchase of Maxtor seems to have gone the same way the Daimler-Chrysler merger went, with Maxtor/Chrysler putting the "k" in "quality" for their parent companies. After Windows Explorer went stupid for me, I backed up my system to an USB Seagate drive, checked the bit-sum and folder count to make sure everything copied, and re-installed Windows. Then the recovery HD partition on the Seagate died. Now I'm looking at big bucks for data recovery, after thinking I did everything right. It's probably just luck of the draw, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth nonetheless.

- Silverstone OP1000 ATX PSU. Though with my comments about SLI, I could save some money by just getting a non-SLI PSU and mobo, and just a single GPU.

That's where my thinking has taken me so far, feel free to discuss/shoot me down. I'm not smart enough on Intel x38 chipsets to discuss them much, but they appear to be an option for the ATi/Crossfire upgrade path. AMD doesn't seem to be an option for the near future, though I'll keep an eye peeled to the Phenom processor developments.

Sorry for the long post, but I've got time on my hands, and pretending to buy computer stuff is a lot cheaper than actually buying it.