PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR beyond 4 Pro

Hoenire
03-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know what the next iteration of TrackIR will be and what improvements there are. I'm wondering as if it was hypothetically possible to get 6DOF working in IL2 it might hypothetically be that the 4 Pro doesn't have enough of a field of view to track properly without the tracking "curve" being too fast for natural movement (well at least it would hypothetically seem that way to hypothetical ol' me).

Hoenire
03-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know what the next iteration of TrackIR will be and what improvements there are. I'm wondering as if it was hypothetically possible to get 6DOF working in IL2 it might hypothetically be that the 4 Pro doesn't have enough of a field of view to track properly without the tracking "curve" being too fast for natural movement (well at least it would hypothetically seem that way to hypothetical ol' me).

Jaws2002
03-22-2008, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoenire:
Does anyone know what the next iteration of TrackIR will be and what improvements there are. I'm wondering as if it was hypothetically possible to get 6DOF working in IL2 it might hypothetically be that the 4 Pro doesn't have enough of a field of view to track properly without the tracking "curve" being too fast for natural movement (well at least it would hypothetically seem that way to hypothetical ol' me). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is nothing wrong with trackIR4 when it comes to 6DOF. it works like a charm in other games.
The movement is just restricted in the IL-2 game code, because the cockpits were not done with this in mind. If you move your POV around in the pit you'll see all kind of unfinished areas.

major_setback
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
There is something i feel is missing.

Maybe I haven't configured it correctly, but I don't think you can alter the amount of angle the virtual head moves relative to your own head. You can alter the speed of the traverse, but not the amount.

I would love to find out I'm wrong, as I can't use my TrackIR very much. I Use varifocal glasses, and anything more than a small amount of movement of my head means I am looking through an 'unfocused' part of the glass, and get headaches.

I want to make a minimum of movement to see behind me, so I can still see the screen ahead of me, rather than at an angle to my head.

I can't see it ever really working well for me though. My glasses only allow a couple of degrees of head movement before blurring occurs.

[I have the latest version of TrackIR].

GAU-8
03-22-2008, 12:13 PM
i thought the speed also included the angle..?

if you lower the "throw" you have to move your head a lot more from side to side, if you raise it up considerable, you move your head less input but with much more in game movement.

i coulda swore thats how it is. maybe i was wrong.

not trying to be a smart arse, think about lasic surgery or something?

buzzsaw1939
03-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Major... I know what your talking about, when I get my next set, I'm going to have them make a pair with the lens's set for the distance of my computer screen, I tried it with a cheap set of cheaters, and it works!

Oh, and you can adjust the throw, I had to with my bifocals, if I can figure out how to do it, I can send you my profile.

major_setback
03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GAU-8:

not trying to be a smart arse, think about lasic surgery or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I can't read that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have thought about it a lot, out of vanity rather than anything else. I'm not sure it works 100% effectively, otherwise I might give it a go.
I heard that you might still need reading glasses if you suffer from the age condition where you can't see near ojects clearly (I forget the name of it), so there seems little point in it.

major_setback
03-22-2008, 02:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
Major... I know what your talking about, when I get my next set, I'm going to have them make a pair with the lens's set for the distance of my computer screen, I tried it with a cheap set of cheaters, and it works!

Oh, and you can adjust the throw, I had to with my bifocals, if I can figure out how to do it, I can send you my profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GOOD IDEA!

WTE_Ibis
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
Major... I know what your talking about, when I get my next set, I'm going to have them make a pair with the lens's set for the distance of my computer screen, I tried it with a cheap set of cheaters, and it works.
----------------------------------------------

I have done that and it works great.
You wont be disappointed.

Lurch1962
03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
It's a long diatribe, but you might find an idea or two in this FreeTrack discussion I started...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5501099346