PDA

View Full Version : New to game

Brad-M
03-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Gents,

I have installed the game and playing the tutorial and was playing the periscope one and conducting an attack. All my torpedoes hit the target, but bounce off and don't explode. What am I doing wrong? I have a nice solution, ie the small triangle is green. Whats wrong?

Thanks

Brad

U734
03-10-2006, 06:55 PM
1. When using impact pistol torpedoes (TDC screen right top "I/M" dial) you should try to attack from angles close to 90 degrees;
2. Depth shouldn't be too much because ships' hulls tend to be more rounded there - try setting 2-3 meters;

I had the same problem when I began playing and then I just swithed to magnetic pistols - just keep in mind that if you do that you'll have to check targets' draft (in the recognition manual) and set torpedo depth setting 1-2 meters more than that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

good luck

T-III
03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi, I am pretty sure what you are doing wrong. You said that the torps were just bouncing off of the enemy's hull. This is probably because the angle of the torp impact is too great for the impact trigger. The best solution to your problem, and how I set almost all of my shots is to

1. try to position your sub as close to 90 off the bow of your target
2. after identifing the type of ship, click on the name of the ship in your target notepad this opens up the recognition manual
3. find the depth of the "draft" this is important
4. go to the TDC screen and set the running depth of the torp, 1 to 2 meteres lower than the draft -- also make sure that you have the magnetic detonator selected.

By setting the depth lower than the draft, the torp will go under the keel of the enemy and explode usuing the magnetic sensor. The impact will fail if the torp hits the object at a extreme angle, eg. the rounded part of the keel.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-10-2006, 06:59 PM
First off, Welcome aboard Herr Kaleun!

There are a lot of factors that comes into play when trying to successfully conduct torpedo attacks.

You must make sure that your AOB (Angle on Bow) is 90 degrees +/- 5 degrees if your are using the Impact pistol. Otherwise you run the risk of torpedo failure because this game models the torpedoes to their historical values.

If you see that your target is either less than 80 degrees AOB or greater than 100 degrees AOB, then there's a different approach. Try to set your torpedo depth to .5 to 2m deeper than the keel of your target and use the Magnetic pistol.

Brad-M
03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks U734 for the reply so quickly. I thought the targeting was automatically done by the weapons officer?

Brad

T-III
03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
oops, i didnt see you reply as i was typing u734. we said almost the same thing.

T-III
03-10-2006, 07:02 PM
if you have magnetic selected, the impact detenator will still work, right u734.

U734
03-10-2006, 07:04 PM
That's right

P.S. welcome Brad

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Brad-M:
Thanks U734 for the reply so quickly. I thought the targeting was automatically done by the weapons officer?

Brad

The WO is a tool to use if you are using the Manual Targeting feature in your realism settings. It's kinda like cheating, but it comes in handy if you need to "Snapshot" a target and don't have time to manually input the solution.

Brad-M
03-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Looks like I have a lot to learn. I love the U-Boat. I am in the Canadian Navy and I am a sonar chief on the west coast. Thanks for all the help guys.

Take her deep!

Brad

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Brad-M:
Looks like I have a lot to learn. I love the U-Boat. I am in the Canadian Navy and I am a sonar chief on the west coast. Thanks for all the help guys.

Take her deep!

Brad

Well, anyone who serves in a Navy is a shipmate of mine.

I was an Aviation Ordnanceman First Class of the US Navy from 1993-2005. I was injured in Operation Enduring Freedom and had to be medically discharged from service.

I was a West Coast Sailor too!

Brad-M
03-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury, hope it wasn't too serious. I sailed along your ships during Gulf War I. The floating mine scared the **** out of me back then.

Brad

Tyler3791966
03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey guys, I am new to this game also. I was wondering if all the torpedoes have the magnetic detonator option? In the TDC during a training mission I tried to set it to impact only and when I went back to the TDC it was back to the M on the pistol selector dial thing. I still can't get better than an average on the last training mission, I have a hard time on that one. Thanks for any replies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Tyler3791966:
Hey guys, I am new to this game also. I was wondering if all the torpedoes have the magnetic detonator option? In the TDC during a training mission I tried to set it to impact only and when I went back to the TDC it was back to the M on the pistol selector dial thing. I still can't get better than an average on the last training mission, I have a hard time on that one. Thanks for any replies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

... and Welcome Aboard to you too!

Did you fire the torpedo after you selected your settings?

When a new torpedo is loaded the default setting will be Magnetic pistol with 4m running depth.

Unless you tinker with the settings while the torpedo is being loaded into the tube, the settings will not change.

Brad-M
03-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Well guys, after working some more with the depth setting, Success! Thanks for the help. Now watch out Skimmers! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Happy Hunting!

Brad

T-III
03-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Here is what I thought was a very helpful site, its a community manual (click on the yellow flower for the main menu) tells you alot about the game. Link to Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Torpedoes)
Check it out for more info, esp. on FaT torps and other aspects of the game, again click the flower for more info.