PDA

View Full Version : The future of the Stand_Alone Pacific Fighters server on HL

Osirisx9
01-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Osirisx9
01-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Slingn
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I think most people that only have PF, and become interested enough in the sim to fly online regualarly, will eventually get the gold pack so they can enjoy the whole game.

VOL_Mountain
01-26-2005, 04:00 PM
If you wish to host a PF stand alone server you will find more pilots at Ubi than HL.

FoolTrottel
01-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Find a way to promote it even more!

(Maybe jump into post from PF users?
Not a truly nice thing to do.... but it might help, and for now, you might help ppl getting online.
Interested people will eventually get the merged one, but I think it would be nice for PFilots to find an online server in HL... and get stimulated to become pIL2ots!

(I did not vote, as I have merged version, but I guess I would join your PF server, if PF was all I got!)
As for resources, recent developments have shown there's hardly any need for more resources in HL as sometimes(!) it's getting the full 980-attention! (Unless you want them resources be put in use somewhere else all together ;-)

You state 'every night'. Please be aware, this is a global thing... your night could me my working day....

Crash_Moses
01-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Just posted this on another thread. Figured I'd bump this one as well......

I think that there are plenty of people who would enjoy a standalone PF server (myself included). I did a quick search on the Hyperlobby forums and found this (plus a few others):

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1187&highlight=pacific+fighters

I think the two main reasons why the standalone PF servers aren't doing well on HL are:

1. HL is dominated by servers running the merged install. Players running just PF are either on UBI or connecting to standalone servers via IP. Since they never visit HL they don't know the standalone servers exist. Just gotta get the word out.

2. The players who visit HL are running the merged install. In order for them to join a PF standalone server they need to A) keep the standalone version installed on their PC along with the merged install (not sure how many do this. I do.) and B) rename the standalone PF executable to il2fb.exe and point the HL software to a different directory (disconnect from HL but don't close it. Choose the CONNECT / SELECT GAME menu. Select Forgotten Battles. Press CTL + SHF and click connect. When the Correct Installation Path window pops up, enter the path and location of the executable, select save and then connect).

I don't know about y'all but the above would be a royal pain in the butt to switch back and forth between the two games for someone who wanted to play both types of servers.

There aren't a lot of the merged install servers on HL running the PTO (at least not at full real) and I, for one, would probably spend most of my time on one if there were enough players to make it fun. I betcha there are a lot of other folks out there who would do the same.

Sooooooo.......I see a couple of solutions. Either wait until HL supports Pacific Fighters standalone or start a massive ad campaign to draw attention to the standalone servers on HL. Or both. Both sounds good.

So there.

S!

CM

Yimmy
01-27-2005, 08:13 AM
At the moment, I have PF and AEP.
I got PF first at Christmas, then saw AEP in a shop, got that - then when I got home I ordered IL2 over the internet. Now Amazon tell me it wont arive until 6-12th Feb!

So, yes, I would (and do) use your dedicated PF server!
The problem is, as you know, that it is constantly empty. This is while at UBI, there are normally 30-80 people online in the PF standalone room - but all (well, expect a few) of the servers are rubbish...

My suggestion would be to make a room in the UBI PF Standalone area - the name of the room being your IP address - so you dont actually have to launch the game, just set up the room.

Supr
01-27-2005, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yimmy:
At the moment, I have PF and AEP.
I got PF first at Christmas, then saw AEP in a shop, got that - then when I got home I ordered IL2 over the internet. Now Amazon tell me it wont arive until 6-12th Feb!

So, yes, I would (and do) use your dedicated PF server!
The problem is, as you know, that it is constantly empty. This is while at UBI, there are normally 30-80 people online in the PF standalone room - but all (well, expect a few) of the servers are rubbish...

My suggestion would be to make a room in the UBI PF Standalone area - the name of the room being your IP address - so you dont actually have to launch the game, just set up the room. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But do you have FB? The original IL2 noes not go into the mix. (At least not in the merged install mix) It is FB/AEP/PF

Yimmy
01-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, its the FB version I am waiting for.

CrazyMarlin_PR
01-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Myself and 4-5 of my squadmates use this server as often as we can. You've seen us in there a couple of times.

I run a squad from another, much older flight sim(Predators (http://www.predatorsquad.com)). I am trying to get as many of my guys into PF as I can, as our game has been dying a slow death for a couple of years. Here is the main issue with may of them: the game we play is one of the few sims that has a setup where two teams play one another and the onjective is to bomb the other teams side before they kill yours. We fight squad vs squad games this way, tournies, etc. We have yet to find another sim that does this. Your PF server, with its victory conditions is configured in just such a manner. Dedicated servers set up this way are exactly what we are looking for.

Unfortunately, the guys in our squad are jet-sim guys, so getting them into a WW2 sim is difficult. So, many of them are not going to have the merged set-up. I don't even have it, as I played IL-2 and enjoyed it, but the planesets did not thrill me the way PF does. I don't plan on playing merged because oneof thr things I disliked about Aces High was planes flying against one another that never would have met in history. I'm not really interested in flying a F6F against a FW-190(yes, I know the RAF used them briefly in the Atlantic, and it could have happened...but not an every day match up).

I have tried several times heading into the ubi lobby and selling your server trying to get people into it. Perhaps the problem is that most of the PF stand alone crowd are not really interested in objective style games...just dogfighting... It would be nice if there was a middle ground somewhere, between the "merged" and the stand-alone guys who want to play in servers with victory conditions, etc...

VF51_Flatspin
01-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Won't be on the standalone, but some in my squad are with me and want to see a PTO merged server.

Osirisx9
01-27-2005, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyMarlin_PR:
Myself and 4-5 of my squadmates use this server as often as we can. You've seen us in there a couple of times.

I run a squad from another, much older flight sim(http://www.predatorsquad.com). I am trying to get as many of my guys into PF as I can, as our game has been dying a slow death for a couple of years. Here is the main issue with may of them: the game we play is one of the few sims that has a setup where two teams play one another and the onjective is to bomb the other teams side before they kill yours. We fight squad vs squad games this way, tournies, etc. We have yet to find another sim that does this. Your PF server, with its victory conditions is configured in just such a manner. Dedicated servers set up this way are exactly what we are looking for.

Unfortunately, the guys in our squad are jet-sim guys, so getting them into a WW2 sim is difficult. So, many of them are not going to have the merged set-up. I don't even have it, as I played IL-2 and enjoyed it, but the planesets did not thrill me the way PF does. I don't plan on playing merged because oneof thr things I disliked about Aces High was planes flying against one another that never would have met in history. I'm not really interested in flying a F6F against a FW-190(yes, I know the RAF used them briefly in the Atlantic, and it could have happened...but not an every day match up).

I have tried several times heading into the ubi lobby and selling your server trying to get people into it. Perhaps the problem is that most of the PF stand alone crowd are not really interested in objective style games...just dogfighting... It would be nice if there was a middle ground somewhere, between the "merged" and the stand-alone guys who want to play in servers with victory conditions, etc... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warbirds of Prey is changing the server over to the merged version. It should be up and running by 2morrow but it will still be a pacific based server. This arrangement will give us more tools to work with when we are building missions. We currenlty have one mission "The Battle of the Coral Sea" on our Full Real full real server that will make it onto this server plus another 10-15 additional missions that will make it onto the server within the following week. All the missions are going to have objectives other than just trying to blow each other out of the sky. And most of the the missions will feature the classic matchup between the F4f-4 wildcat and Zero A6m-21.This a very balance and historical matchup. If you use the correct tactics niether aircraft will be able to dominate over the other and the fight will usually be determined by the pilot and not the machine. We will also include missions featuring the late modeled aircraft for the occassional change of pace. Just like the stand_alone server this server will also have limited icons enabled.

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

Yimmy
01-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Sounds good Osirisx - when I get my merged install set up I will be there - and probably an unhealthy amount at that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like the idea of the early F4 against the early Zero too... I much prefer the aircraft of early-mid war to all the latter boom-and zoom stuff.
Dont forget the odd land airfields with Tommahawks and Ki43's mind!

fluup
01-28-2005, 01:12 AM
I will not fly on HL, the interface of HL sucks IMO when you're looking for Standalone servers.

Host it on Ubi.com and people wil (ubi.)com(e), like me for instance

HotelBushranger
01-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I'll fly. Just had some connectiong problems lately, but as long as others come, I'm there! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif