PDA

View Full Version : Voice commands; what works for me.

kiddknapp59
02-04-2005, 05:06 PM
With the recent release of another choice in voice command software I thought I might relate my experience, what has worked and what hasn€t.
I have been using Shoot version 1.6.4. When I first tried it I had some problems that are similar to problems some people have with other voice command software. It seems that the first few commands worked fine, and then the following commands wouldn€t work at all, or the lag in response time was several minutes. This was my experience using the default profile for IL2 that came with Shoot. It would also fly through the communications menus so fast I couldn€t really tell if the correct command was being given. I needed a solution that was SIMPLE and that would give me visual confirmation that what I was saying was what was triggering the correct command.
The main problem stems from the multi-syllabic commands, such as €œWing attack tanks€. There are three words in that command which means three possible mistakes in recognition by the speech recognition program. The command €œWing attack tanks€ triggers a macro, a string of key commands. Also a potential hang up.
This is what I did. I made a simple profile with about a dozen commands. If I say €œradio€ I get the communications menu (the tab key). One word, one key command. Less to mess up. From there it is all numbers. If I say €œone€ I get the wingman commands, €œsix€ brings up the ground attack menu, €œone€ tells my wingman to attack at will, and so on. I did have to go in and make sure that the number keys are no longer associated with throttle settings in case I was misunderstood at some point when the communications menu is not active. I didn€t want my throttle being cut accidentally. I also have a command for the map. If I say €œmap€, I get the map. And that is it. No other commands, no long phrases, no macros. It doesn€t do much for immersion, but it makes a huge difference in how effective I can be as a flight leader and pilot. I can shout out commands now while in a 90 degree bank coming back around on my target and never take my hands off the throttle and stick. And I can see which menu I am calling up as I say the next number. If there is a misunderstanding I say €œzero€ and it goes back one menu.
I have a button on my stick that toggles Shoot on and off, so I can swear at the autopilot when I want to without bringing up the map or menus.
It€s simple, and it works all the time every time, and the same concepts would work with any voice command program. .
And the exact same profile works in Strike Fighters and Wings Over Vietnam.

kiddknapp59
02-04-2005, 05:06 PM
With the recent release of another choice in voice command software I thought I might relate my experience, what has worked and what hasn€t.
I have been using Shoot version 1.6.4. When I first tried it I had some problems that are similar to problems some people have with other voice command software. It seems that the first few commands worked fine, and then the following commands wouldn€t work at all, or the lag in response time was several minutes. This was my experience using the default profile for IL2 that came with Shoot. It would also fly through the communications menus so fast I couldn€t really tell if the correct command was being given. I needed a solution that was SIMPLE and that would give me visual confirmation that what I was saying was what was triggering the correct command.
The main problem stems from the multi-syllabic commands, such as €œWing attack tanks€. There are three words in that command which means three possible mistakes in recognition by the speech recognition program. The command €œWing attack tanks€ triggers a macro, a string of key commands. Also a potential hang up.
This is what I did. I made a simple profile with about a dozen commands. If I say €œradio€ I get the communications menu (the tab key). One word, one key command. Less to mess up. From there it is all numbers. If I say €œone€ I get the wingman commands, €œsix€ brings up the ground attack menu, €œone€ tells my wingman to attack at will, and so on. I did have to go in and make sure that the number keys are no longer associated with throttle settings in case I was misunderstood at some point when the communications menu is not active. I didn€t want my throttle being cut accidentally. I also have a command for the map. If I say €œmap€, I get the map. And that is it. No other commands, no long phrases, no macros. It doesn€t do much for immersion, but it makes a huge difference in how effective I can be as a flight leader and pilot. I can shout out commands now while in a 90 degree bank coming back around on my target and never take my hands off the throttle and stick. And I can see which menu I am calling up as I say the next number. If there is a misunderstanding I say €œzero€ and it goes back one menu.
I have a button on my stick that toggles Shoot on and off, so I can swear at the autopilot when I want to without bringing up the map or menus.
It€s simple, and it works all the time every time, and the same concepts would work with any voice command program. .
And the exact same profile works in Strike Fighters and Wings Over Vietnam.

woofiedog
02-04-2005, 10:08 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gifThanks for the info! I'll be making some changes to my profile.
Thanks

Bearcat99
02-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Be that as it may be....... support the community and try VAC. I like it better than SHOOT...... and I can say "Wingman cover me...." and he does... I thouight of a simpler profile to use.. if the more immersive one failed.. but so far it hasnt......... IMO VAC is better than SHOOT.. it is easier for the novice to use and it works. Very well. I dont know who made SHOOT..... but I know that Shift_E has been a member of this community for a while now and he worked hard to create this and he had this sim in mind when he did it. Of course you and anyone else who reads this thread can do what they want.... me... I find that VAC is great. I dont have to simplify the profile.. but the same thought occured to me as well. I just changed the duration of the keystrokes from the original profile created by Dastardly... where he had his at 10 I put mine at 100 ms.. Works like a champ for me.

kiddknapp59
02-04-2005, 11:15 PM
If it helps, he has my moral support and I appreciate his effort. If it works, don€t fix it. I have a working solution. If I switch to VAC I€ll have to remake the same profile. Seeing how it uses the same voice recognition software I don€t think the interface is going to change my life. I had commands backing up on me; it happens. That is why I made my own little profile. It never fails, it never lags. I may have to repeat a command now and then, but it is pretty infrequent. Had VAC been released before I started looking at voice command software I would probably be using it. My point in posting was to give an example of a profile that can be used with either program and will work every single time. Voice recognition is not very advanced at this point. It makes mistakes, it gets confused. That isn€t a problem with my solution. One word, one command.

FI.Snaphoo
02-04-2005, 11:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Be that as it may be....... support the community and try VAC. I like it better than SHOOT...... and I can say "Wingman cover me...." and he does... I thouight of a simpler profile to use.. if the more immersive one failed.. but so far it hasnt......... IMO VAC is better than SHOOT.. it is easier for the novice to use and it works. Very well. I dont know who made SHOOT..... but I know that Shift_E has been a member of this community for a while now and he worked hard to create this and he had this sim in mind when he did it. Of course you and anyone else who reads this thread can do what they want.... me... I find that VAC is great. I dont have to simplify the profile.. but the same thought occured to me as well. I just changed the duration of the keystrokes from the original profile created by Dastardly... where he had his at 10 I put mine at 100 ms.. Works like a champ for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have only used VAC a few times, but I would have to say that so far, it's great. I definitely agree with Bearcat here. It was simple and easy to impliment (with XP). And after a few "training sessions" for the software, it recognizes my voice and I can control an entire squadron (well, four flights of four anyway) without touching the keyboard.

Awesome stuff there! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kiddknapp59
02-04-2005, 11:23 PM
I agree with him as well. However, like I said it is all the same software; only the interface (VAC€s is better) is different. If it works for you, then don€t fix it. But remember, with long vocal commands if the software gets confused once, and you don€t catch it, it will back up on you and it is over for that flight. I had flights where it worked fine all the way through, and I had some where the program backed up and stopped working. Now it never stops working and it never backs up. I wanted 100% reliability and I got it, and it would work with VAC as well.

Bearcat99
02-05-2005, 04:20 AM
I hear ya... if it aint broke dont fix it...... but for those of us who were voice control challenged like moi..... VAC is just the ticket... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I am working on a simplified VAC profile anyway..... the one Dastardly made is immersive but I am working on one like you use.. one that can be used in a DF or CooP server and is almost glitch proof. One of the problems with having two many commands is that normal conversation can trigger something you dont want.... so I also agree with you.... the KISS principle works.

kiddknapp59
02-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Exactly. It isn€t the program I was indorsing, it was the profile. I use mine online as well and it works fine.
One thing I do when flying a ground attack mission before I get to the target is pull up the comms menu, select the flight I want, and then select the ground attack menu and I just leave it there. I toggle the voice comms off until I get to the target. That way, when I get to the objective I say one single word to execute the attack command. If it is an airfield attack for example I can make the decision to attack the flak guns if it turns out there is a AAA farm, or give them the order to attack at will. I can make the call at the last second with a single word based on the situation.

Shift_E
02-05-2005, 09:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kiddknapp59:
Exactly. It isn€t the program I was indorsing, it was the profile. I use mine online as well and it works fine.
One thing I do when flying a ground attack mission before I get to the target is pull up the comms menu, select the flight I want, and then select the ground attack menu and I just leave it there. I toggle the voice comms off until I get to the target. That way, when I get to the objective I say one single word to execute the attack command. If it is an airfield attack for example I can make the decision to attack the flak guns if it turns out there is a AAA farm, or give them the order to attack at will. I can make the call at the last second with a single word based on the situation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That€s a good idea, I have an idea for your profile. You could record some phrases like €œAttacking flak, copy€, €œAttacking tank, copy€, €œAttacking bombers, copy€ then assign those sounds to your each command. That way you€ll get audio feedback that the right command was recognized and the feeling your AI is responding to you. Just a thought.

Bearcat99
02-05-2005, 11:13 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif waitaminnit....... are you saying that command confirmation sounds can be set.....for each command!!??!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Originally posted by kiddknapp59:
One thing I do when flying a ground attack mission before I get to the target is pull up the comms menu, select the flight I want, and then select the ground attack menu and I just leave it there. I toggle the voice comms off until I get to the target. That way, when I get to the objective I say one single word to execute the attack command. If it is an airfield attack for example I can make the decision to attack the flak guns if it turns out there is a AAA farm, or give them the order to attack at will. I can make the call at the last second with a single word based on the situation.

LOL.. kidnap I used to do the same thing when I had to type out commands.... that way I wouldnt have to fiddle with typing and miss my window.... now though with VAC I just have to give the flight with the bombs the commands and it gets done.. I can even tell them over and over.... until they use all thier ordinance.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Shift_E
02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif waitaminnit....... are you saying that command confirmation sounds can be set....._for each command_!!??!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can set a different sound for each action.

Bearcat99
02-05-2005, 11:19 AM
YOU ARE THE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif