PDA

View Full Version : Installing the 4.09 beta

rodhittle
03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I am a bit confused with installing the 4.09 beta.

This is what I have noticed:
three completely new files (not including readme files):
fb_3do19.SFS
fb_3do20.SFS
fb_maps15.SFS

REPLACING FILES
files.SFS
il2_core.dll
il2_coreP4.dll
il2setup.ini
mg_snd.ini
mg_snd_snd.dll

Then one REPLACING folder PaintSchemes that in turn has two subfolders.

I believe that if I wanted to be able to go back to my current set up I would need to make a backup folder containing those files that would be replaced and remember to remove the added files.

On the PaintSchemes folder I think I could just rename the original to something like PaintSchemesORG
and then if I wanted to reverse back I could rename the 4.09 version to
PaintScheme409
And then rename back the ORG version.

I put all the readme-s in a separate folder and did NOT place them in the main IL2 folder.

I understand there is somekind of switcher program to make this all easier than manually doing this. If so, where is it?

I tried all this and the game never comes up.

FoolTrottel
03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Welcome here!

If so, where is it?
There are several, Mission4Today has this switcher (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3305)

Good Luck!

crucislancer
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
There are several, Mission4Today has this switcher (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3305)

Good Luck!

If you are going to use this switcher, you might have to do a little bit of editing to the batch files if you installed the game in a non standard location.

Put the switcher files (2 folders and two .bat files, IIRC) into your IL-2 directory, keeping the shortcuts handy so you can switch as needed.

If you installed IL-2 1946 in the default location, then that's all you need to do. If not, then the two batch files that came with the switcher need to be edited. Right click and hit edit, then replace all instances of the default IL-2 path with your current IL-2 path. For instance, I believe the default path is

C:\ProgramFiles\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

Or something close to that. You would need to replace all the lines that have this to whatever the current path is to your game, for example:

C:\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

That's where my game folder is. Do this for both batch files, then either make new shortcuts or edit the old ones so they have the proper path.

When you click on the shortcut, you should see a DOS window briefly open and a couple of files are getting copied. Fire up the game and check the version number.

It's a little bit of work, but it's worth it to have 4.09 available if you need it for campaigns, and 4.08 if you need it for online.

Lastly, make sure that you install the 4.09 patch first, then the 4.09 skins patch, and then get the switcher up and running.

I hope all that helps.

rodhittle
03-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Crucislancer,
thanks for the info on editing the batch files because my location is different than standard, I skip the 'programfiles\ubisort\'.

I made the mistake of not installing the 409 patch. Infact still have not done it because I don't understand what I should be doing with the 409 patch. When I extracted the zip there was/is not executatble and I don't know that there should be. No one seems to tell me.

I am fine with just adding the completely new files to right under my IL2 folder. But I am not comfortable putting in the replacement files.

Again, here are the completely new files:
fb_3do19.SFS
fb_3do20.SFS
fb_maps15.SFS

Again, here are the files from the expanded zip that would replace files I already have.

files.SFS
il2_core.dll
il2_coreP4.dll
il2setup.ini
mg_snd.ini
mg_snd_snd.dll

Then one REPLACING folder PaintSchemes that in turn has two subfolders.

==============
I was guessing that I would make a copy of the old files and put them folder 'il2_ver08'
and in the folder 'il2_ver09b1' I would put the new replacing files plus the brand new files.

I would think the PaintSchemes folders would go under each folder according to the version.

HELP

crucislancer
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I understand that it's a little un-nerving to let the patch overwrite your files. You want to be able to back out of it completely if you don't like the patch or it blows your install, right?

IIRC, the patch does not include a new .exe.

I think the best thing to do in your case is backup the files that are overwritten in a separate place, but not in those switcher folders. If you find that you need to remove 4.09 for some reason, then it should be quite easy to load your backup files and you should be good to go. But, I haven't tried that so I can't guarantee it will work.

After you back up those files, unzip the 4.09 patch into your IL-2 root directory. Just let it overwrite. Then, do the same with the 4.09 Skins patch. Put in the switcher files like I explained above, and it's done.

I hope that works for you.

rodhittle
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
OK, crucislancer. I must assume that even then the new files overright the 4.08 versions that the switcher somehow sets things right when I use the switch to switch back to 4.08.

It there any clue when you bring up the game that you are on the 4.09 ?

And a special thanks crucislancer, you are the only one to directly answer my question on three forums.

crucislancer
03-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by rodhittle:
OK, crucislancer. I must assume that even then the new files overright the 4.08 versions that the switcher somehow sets things right when I use the switch to switch back to 4.08.

That is correct. However, the switcher only copies a couple of files that are needed to switch the versions. In other words, it doesn't move all of those files in and out every time, just a couple core files that tell the game what version to use.

It there any clue when you bring up the game that you are on the 4.09 ?

Yes, a couple of clues, the first of which is when the game loads, the load screen has the current version and percentage of the core game loading in the bottom left hand corner. If 4.09 is active, it will say "v4.09b1m". If 4.08 is active, then it will be "v4.08m". Also, there are maps in 4.09 that are unavailable in 4.08. Go to the Full Mission Builder and load a map, and if you see Slovakia there at the top of the list, you are in 4.09.

And a special thanks crucislancer, you are the only one to directly answer my question on three forums.

My pleasure! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif