PDA

View Full Version : .ntrk files coming up 'null'...

xxcurarexx
01-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Why are most of the .ntrk files I record during offline campaigns displaying the 'null' message when I try to load and watch them? Online recordings work fine...

xxcurarexx
01-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Why are most of the .ntrk files I record during offline campaigns displaying the 'null' message when I try to load and watch them? Online recordings work fine...

pourshot
01-29-2005, 07:09 PM
If you made them before you installed the last patch then they wont work only TRK files survive patching IIRC.

tsisqua
01-29-2005, 07:18 PM
No, no, no . . .

I get the same thing now, when trying to replay some .ntrk's, so the author is confirming a problem that I have been having.

<span class="ev_code_RED">MISSION LOADING FAILED: NULL</span>

Tsisqua

xxcurarexx
01-29-2005, 07:58 PM
right, tsisqua. As in I play a campaign, record a .ntrk, quit campaign to play the track immediately and it doesn't work.

WWSensei
01-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I get this too and it's been happening since 3.01. I believe it is tied to certain events being logged incorrectly. For instance, if I fly and SBD3 and record the flight, dropping no bombs, the ntrk is fine. If I bomb a target during the flight I get the null error. It's a bug.

Hiriyu
01-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Possibly related... Recently (sometime after 3.04m installation) some of my new offline tracks have begun to playback incorrectly - seems that the input logging is being corrupted/de-synched somehow. Same routine as above: fly and complete mission, record .ntrk, exit to main menu and play track. I have not experienced a "null" load however.

The corruption is very noticable though - one particular mission, though damaged, I managed to fly back to my carrier and make a decent landing. In the recorded track, my plane was shown doing vertical loops until shot to pieces and plunged flaming into the sea.

Alternatively, could this possibly be a local hardware issue having to do with device polling rates or somesuch?

alfa_fsb
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I have the same problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif .. anybody a fix ???

Kuna15
11-04-2005, 06:28 PM
I didn't checked all that has been said, but in my experience I never get error massage if I press "stop recording" before I exit the mission. I experience the same thing as you are if I press only "start recording" and exit the mission without pressing "stop recording". Then every time my .nrtk is bad file.

So guys that may be solution for you too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Tully__
11-04-2005, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pourshot:
If you made them before you installed the last patch then they wont work only TRK files survive patching IIRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Other way around. The .ntrk files should be independant of version, it's the .trk files that are version dependant.

Tully__
11-04-2005, 06:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hiriyu:
Possibly related... Recently (sometime after 3.04m installation) some of my new offline tracks have begun to playback incorrectly - seems that the input logging is being corrupted/de-synched somehow. Same routine as above: fly and complete mission, record .ntrk, exit to main menu and play track. I have not experienced a "null" load however.

The corruption is very noticable though - one particular mission, though damaged, I managed to fly back to my carrier and make a decent landing. In the recorded track, my plane was shown doing vertical loops until shot to pieces and plunged flaming into the sea.

Alternatively, could this possibly be a local hardware issue having to do with device polling rates or somesuch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

.ntrk files record the mission as a record of location/velocity/attitude/damage state of all objects in the mission. The .trk files work differently. The .trk files contain only the start conditions (the mission file) and a record of player control inputs during the mission. When you play back .trk files the computer literally re-flieds the mission using the original player control inputs.

Anything that upsets the timing of the control input recording or playback will result in a different outcome, as applying a control input early or late changes all events that occur later in theplayback. Factors known to affect control timing in this type of track file:

1. Use of pause or time compression during recording (and possible during playback also).
2. Use of graphics or sound settings that cause lot's of stutter in either recording or playback
3. Not enough RAM for the map/mission combination, causing the system to make use of the page file frequently.
4. In some cases, use of manual view control during playback.

Basically, anything that causes system pauses is likely to upset timing, particularly system pauses during playback.

Be aware that the so called "online recording" works just as well offline as on. You may prefer to assign a key to the keyboard "Start/stop quick recording" control for use instead of the .trk file recording.

alfa_fsb
11-04-2005, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kuna15:
I didn't checked all that has been said, but in my experience I never get error massage if I press "stop recording" before I exit the mission. I experience the same thing as you are if I press only "start recording" and exit the mission without pressing "stop recording". Then every time my .nrtk is bad file.

So guys that may be solution for you too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope i start &gt; stop every time ( i did the above a couple of times but i learned the lesson)

major_setback
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Tip: always try to record in the right format.

If you can't do this play the track back as soon as possible after playing:

Do this without adjusting any settings, and with external views off, time compression off etc., and re-record it in the right format DURING playback by pressing the assigned key (this is mapped in 'controls') for 'quick start/save track'.

I have set the 'Q' key for this.

TAGERT.
11-04-2005, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pourshot:
If you made them before you installed the last patch then they wont work only TRK files survive patching IIRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You got that 180 out, the ntrk is good between different versions, the trk files are not.

Dew-Claw
11-04-2005, 10:22 PM
How come some of my online tracks, done in co-oop my machine hosting, skin dl on...does everyones skins show up in the track except mine?
my plane seems to want to fallback to the default skin regardless what I use?
and all views during missions show my skin loaded, so Im not forgetting.

MLudner
11-04-2005, 10:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hiriyu:

Alternatively, could this possibly be a local hardware issue having to do with device polling rates or somesuch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WILDLY incorrectly, you mean. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
I have watched the computer completely reverse the actual out-come of dog fights. I suddenly note that my opponent has slipped off to the side somewhere and I'm flying around, chasing atoms, molecules, or some such God knows what and firing bursts at same while the AI casually flies in behind me, smokes me with ease, and flies off into the sunset. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

This has been going on for some time now.

MLudner
11-04-2005, 10:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:

.ntrk files record the mission as a record of location/velocity/attitude/damage state of all objects in the mission. The .trk files work differently. The .trk files contain only the start conditions (the mission file) and a record of player control inputs during the mission. When you play back .trk files the computer literally re-flieds the mission using the original player control inputs.

Anything that upsets the timing of the control input recording or playback will result in a different outcome, as applying a control input early or late changes all events that occur later in theplayback. Factors known to affect control timing in this type of track file:

1. Use of pause or time compression during recording (and possible during playback also).
2. Use of graphics or sound settings that cause lot's of stutter in either recording or playback
3. Not enough RAM for the map/mission combination, causing the system to make use of the page file frequently.
4. In some cases, use of manual view control during playback.

Basically, anything that causes system pauses is likely to upset timing, particularly system pauses during playback.

Be aware that the so called "online recording" works just as well offline as on. You may prefer to assign a key to the keyboard "Start/stop quick recording" control for use instead of the .trk file recording. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh. So, that basically means it's a bad idea to hit "Save Track" AFTER the flight, I see; because then the computer reinvents what the AI did to suit its own tastes - mine is on acid, I have become convinced. What you said there explains a lot of what I have seen.
Thank you.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Tully__
11-05-2005, 03:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I see; because then the computer reinvents what the AI did to suit its own tastes - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless something has changed in the last patch or two, the AI will react exactly the same every time provided the player aicraft behaves exactly as it did when the mission was recorded. It only takes a small fraction of a second change in control input though to put the AI on a different track through the remainder of the mission, particularly if that delay occurs at the edge of the flight envelope (ie: near stall or max dive speed) or during a change in direction. In more dramatic cases, a tenth second pause early in the mission can result in the player aircraft entering a terminal spin 10-15 minutes later when in the original version it flew smoothly & safely through the whole mission.

Maverick_MW
11-05-2005, 04:06 AM
Well, I don't know about that. After watching the replay saved with "Save Track" I had a totally different thing happen in the replay than what happened in-game.

In one mission one of my wingmen collided with an enemy head-on, but somehow the enemy plane came out with the wing intact, but heavily damaged. Allowing me to shoot it down some minutes later.

However, in the replay, BOTH planes are destroyed in the collision, and later it shows my plane firing wildly into the air, where the damaged plane should be...

Tully__
11-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Your wingmans position depends on how he's reacting to your position. If in the replay your position has already started to be different before the wingman makes his headon pass, his position will also be slightly different resulting in a different outcome in that pass. They react exaclty the same way provided the circumstances are exactly the same. As soon as your aircraft starts deviating by even a tiny margin, the AI responses will also vary and the remainder of the playback is likely to be a total loss in terms of it's usefulness as a record of the original mission.

mortoma
11-05-2005, 07:11 PM
I hit the "save track" button today and when I went to replay it, it was out of sync. My plane
was out of formation and when we got to target
my bomb hit in a different place than it did
originaly when I played the mission. Then
later, I was supposed to shoot down a P-51 in my 190A9, but I ended up far from the enemy and I was shooting nothing but air!!!

alfa_fsb
11-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Welll i playe the tutorial for IL-2 ground attack .. and it never hit one tank with bombs or rockets http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ... i recently installed 4.02m ... and i don`t know if i should delete the game and then reinstall evrething or revert to 3.04m ..

MLudner
11-06-2005, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I see; because then the computer reinvents what the AI did to suit its own tastes - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless something has changed in the last patch or two, the AI will react exactly the same every time provided the player aicraft behaves exactly as it did when the mission was recorded. It only takes a small fraction of a second change in control input though to put the AI on a different track through the remainder of the mission, particularly if that delay occurs at the edge of the flight envelope (ie: near stall or max dive speed) or during a change in direction. In more dramatic cases, a tenth second pause early in the mission can result in the player aircraft entering a terminal spin 10-15 minutes later when in the original version it flew smoothly & safely through the whole mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short form:
The computer is not only on Acid, it's also on Magic Mushrooms. It was licking frogs, too, I'd bet.
I see...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif