PDA

View Full Version : Problems with IL 2 Sturmovik

sboro51
05-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I just got the Ultimate Flight Collection for my birthday which included IL 2 Sturmovik. To say i am frustrated is an understatement.

I am using a Saiteck AV8R-01 joystick, when i start a game and the plane starts to taxi down the runway it starts move to the right before i even tough the joystick..i can't get it to move straight down the run way..i twisted the stick to use the rudder got it to stay some on the runway but then when i try to take off the wings bank to the right and i crash before getting off the ground

Not sure if my joystick is no good but i am not enjoying the game like i thought i would. So not sure what i can do to fix this.

Thanks

na85
05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
The aircraft naturally turn to the side due to engine torque. You have to use the rudder to keep it centered as you roll for take off.

Make sure you give yourself a long enough roll to get up to speed. Don't pull back on the stick until you hit 180km/h or so, and then pull back gently on the stick. If you ram it backwards you'll stall as you come off.

RedToo
05-05-2010, 01:53 PM
This is correct. As na85 said. If you can lock the tailwheel it helps (some planes allow this - assign a key). Don't forget to unlock the tailwheel before landing.

Redtoo.

Ba5tard5word
05-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Well there's a few things.

a) if you're in a plane with a tailwheel, make sure you lock the tailwheel, it will keep you more centered as you move forward and stop you from veering to the side as much. Basically your propeller torque is causing your plane to veer in one direction or another, depending on the direction of the prop.

b) however even with the tail wheel locked you'll still veer a bit, so you need to use your rudder well to keep straight. Also you can tap your wheel brakes a bit while using the rudder and it will help you move in the direction you want a bit faster than just using rudder, kind of like using brakes in a turn while driving I guess, though it requires some practice to avoid flipping over or breaking your landing gear.

c) it might be best to turn off some of the difficulty settings until you are more used to takeoffs and landings. I believe turning off torques, wind/turbulence, and spins/stalls will prevent any forces that make your plane veer around when taking off or landing. Then once you get familiar with takeoffs and rudder usage you can turn these settings back on and get used to them.

blairgowrie
05-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the Forum sboro51.

There are lots of versions of Il2. Which one did you get in the Ultimate Flight Collection? You can tell which version it is from the first splash screen that appears.

What aircraft are you trying to fly? Some have right torque and some left. The P38 has none because each prop rotates in an opposite direction to the other. Also, are you slammimg the throttle full open right from the get go. Apply it gently and gradually until you have enough speed to activate the rudder.

Xiolablu3
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Possibly your stick is not working correctly, or it may be that you are a beginner to flight.

Keep your plane straight on the ground by using your rudder, then pull of the ground *gently*

If you pull up too fast the plane will stall and crash as you dont have enough speed to climb that fast.

Climbing in WW2 planes is a gentle process after take off. They dont have enough power to climb at a steep angle, and especially not when just taken off and at lowish speeds around 200-230kph.

SO lets repeat that. Throttle up slowly, keep the plane straight by using the rudder. Pull up gently and keep climbing slowly until you pick up speed.

Come back and tell us how you get on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh and hi all! My first post since a break of a month or so!

sboro51
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I have version 1.2 of IL2 Sturmovik. I am fling a single mission, the plane is a IL2-N1

I locked the tail wheel and the plan still moves all over the runway. Seems like when i twist the stick for rudder control it turns sharply either let of right. It is hard to control. As i pick up speed and the tail lifts off the ground the plane seems to go a little straighter.

When I pull back on the stick the wings still tend to dip and sometimes i crash, other times i actually take off. But once in the air i can;t seem to gain any altitude and the slightest movement of the stick an i seem to bank steeply in either direction and end up crashing.

I assume this will take a lot of practice to get right, but seems i have to constantly move he stick to stay level and it seems to be overly sensitive.

I also toned down the difficulty as suggested but i can't really see much of a difference.

BillSwagger
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
It took me a bit of time to get take offs down also. It is a matter of practice and getting use to the way the game responds to your controller inputs. When i first started playing this game i thought my stick was too sensitive. Try adjusting your stick settings. As a beginner i used a high filter setting until i got more comfortable with the game and began to tune it down to where i use no filters.

I've also thought it was best to stay away from twist sticks because they tend to make finite movements in rudder a bit more difficult over long intervals, such as in take offs. If you practice it might not make much a difference.

Bill

na85
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by sboro51:
Thanks for the quick responses. I have version 1.2 of IL2 Sturmovik. I am fling a single mission, the plane is a IL2-N1

I locked the tail wheel and the plan still moves all over the runway. Seems like when i twist the stick for rudder control it turns sharply either let of right. It is hard to control. As i pick up speed and the tail lifts off the ground the plane seems to go a little straighter.

When I pull back on the stick the wings still tend to dip and sometimes i crash, other times i actually take off. But once in the air i can;t seem to gain any altitude and the slightest movement of the stick an i seem to bank steeply in either direction and end up crashing.

I assume this will take a lot of practice to get right, but seems i have to constantly move he stick to stay level and it seems to be overly sensitive.

I also toned down the difficulty as suggested but i can't really see much of a difference.

Once you get in the air, quickly raise your gear and then level out the aircraft above tree height. Keep it level until your speed increases to the 300km/h range.

If your wings dip and you are at low speed, use the RUDDER to correct, not the ailerons. Also for the first little while, make sure your take off with the default loadout, since strapping rockets and bombs to your aircraft make it heavier and harder for the novice pilot to get in the air.

-------------------

The original version of il-2 sturmovik is quite old now. It's still a great game but everyone is playing IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 now. I suggest you purchase that. It comes with

IL-2: Forgotten Battles
Aces expansion pack
Pacific Fighters
Pe-2 Peshka
Sturmoviks over Manchuria

All on one DVD and will allow you to play online with hundreds of people every night.

1946 can be found for $10 US at most computer stores or via Steam.

Zeus-cat
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
There are lots of versions of Il2. Which one did you get in the Ultimate Flight Collection? You can tell which version it is from the first splash screen that appears.

I agree that IL-2 1946 is the game you really need. If you get it or if you have Pacific Fighters in the Ultimate Flight Pack you can download my training campaign (see below). It trains you how to take off and land o n grass and then on aircraft carriers.

Sorry, but the campaign will not work in Il-2 1.2.

horseback
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM
What those other guys all said.

I should also point out that the original Il-2 Sturmovik had a much more demanding Flight Model than the current versions of Il-2 '46.

The reason one wing dips as you lift off is torque (it is an all-purpose demon--the wings want to go the opposite direction of the prop). You just have to be ready for it.

One thing that can make it easier for you is to fiddle with your stick sensitivities in order to dampen the strength of your rudder and control responses in general. The lower the sensitivity, the less control input is felt and it becomes easier to control the aircraft.

Otherwise you have to be super dooper smooth and careful when you move your stick, and that's hard, especially for a beginner.

cheers

horseback

M_Gunz
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
You don't want to learn 1.2 really well if you intend to get 1946 (bargain bin price) since the things you have
to do with rudder is different between the two, and we know which is newer and more detailed. You can train
yourself into habits that may not be easy to change/break!

At different stages in the development from IL2 v1.0 (and the demo before the release) in 2001 and 1946 v4.09m now
there were things noticed and changed. IIRC up to some point in FB:Aces you had to hold the stick off to the side
to keep your bank angle. Doing that IRL should keep the plane rolling. Later on there was a very interesting thread
about how you couldn't stall out and hold the plane straight, it always spun one way or the other. With 1946 both
were fixed prior and the stick handing changed for the better. Oh yeah, and about every patch added maps and planes
which 1946 has them all and the ability to use mods, just watch out there's rules to what can be told -here- about
mods. I can post the word 'mod' but not where to find them at least not on the public board.

sboro51
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I do have Pacific fighters and have installed it as well and patched it to version 4.04. Having same problems with it.

Been awhile since i had a flight sim, don't remember Falcon 3.0 being this hard to get started in.

Another problem i am having is when the joystick is centered the plan still will bank to the right. Not sure how to fix the joystick problem.

Another thing, i have the brakes is showing to use the B key but when i press it there is no response on the screen like i get for the keys for flaps, landing gear etc. I may try a different keyboard and see if that helps with that.

WTE_Galway
05-05-2010, 06:39 PM
na85 has it right one habit you need to acquire very early is use rudder to pick up a dropped wing at low speed not stick.

For example if you have just lifted off and your aircraft rolls left and the left wing drops the natural tendency is to apply right stick. This is wrong (both in game and real life) and will stall the dropped wing making the problem even worse. The correct procedure is to correct with right rudder.

One other thing to check is the weather. Heavy weather can make takeoff very difficult.

na85
05-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by sboro51:
Another problem i am having is when the joystick is centered the plan still will bank to the right. Not sure how to fix the joystick problem. That's not a problem, that's a feature. The aircraft do that because of the torque of the engine as I mentioned earlier. You can make sure it's not a joystick problem by going into the calibration screen in windows and making sure when you release the stick all the inputs are centered.

Another thing, i have the brakes is showing to use the B key but when i press it there is no response on the screen like i get for the keys for flaps, landing gear etc. I may try a different keyboard and see if that helps with that. Brakes don't put a notice on screen. Press and hold your brake button and you should notice the effect, particularly if you're taxiing at high speed you will see the aircraft nose down violently and even tip over if you don't let go of the brakes.

M_Gunz
05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Sboro, S!

Originally posted by na85:
Once you get in the air, quickly raise your gear and then level out the aircraft above tree height. Keep it level until your speed increases to the 300km/h range.

Especially since what was shown in the Ground Effect thread.

video: not exactly a WWII fighter but...
Watch this guy on the go-arounds, barely any power and not slowing down or dropping. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4JnyphGQM&feature=PlayList&p=4E664EBB6BCFF910&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=65)

Swivet
05-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Yep, engine torque is one reason..Try throttling up slowly while gently tapping your breaks or leave tailwheel locked. Once you've gained enough speed to where you see dust coming from tires you will be able to keep it straight easier. Rudder and brake gently to keep yourself in center of runway..Just dont use too much break or you'll "noseover" and scratch that shiny new prop your groundcrew just polished. Takes a lil practice, but we all have horror stories.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

p-11.cAce
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
One of the best things you can do is to go to your local library and get this:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14290000/14292571.JPG

na85
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Also have a look at this link:

http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/ (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/)

It's an online book called "In Pursuit" and is a good starting point if you're new to flight sims.

mortoma
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Pretty good advice but I don't know how remembering to unlock the tail wheel before landing is so important. If you land perfectly straight with the runway, it matters not one iota. If you land a little crooked still no big deal as you can unlock it on the roll out. Just make sure you are ready to correct with the rudder when you unlock it though.

Oh BTW, did anybody think that maybe he hasn't actually calibrated his joystick?? It's easy to see how a beginner would not know that he/she has to calibrate it. Possibly thinking it's supposed to work correctly straight out of the box.

na85
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Oh BTW, did anybody think that maybe he hasn't actually calibrated his joystick??

Originally posted by na85:
You can make sure it's not a joystick problem by going into the calibration screen in windows and making sure when you release the stick all the inputs are centered.

sboro51
05-09-2010, 05:57 PM
I had calibrated my joystick. I installed Pacific Fighters and used the suggestions i got about locking the rear wheel and brake for take off. Also used the rudder to level the wings after take off and have got off the ground now several times with no crashes.

SO now i just need to practice more with it.

Thanks for all the suffestions