PDA

View Full Version : For those with graphics/systems issues....

GR142-Pipper
11-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Fellow flyers:

I wanted to mention something to be aware of if you're encountering system and/or graphics problems. I was about to purchase an entirely new system (mine's 3 years old) because stuttery graphics and generally slow performance were starting to occur. Turns out I didn't need to.

As is generally well known, higher performance graphics cards and systems can run VERY HOT and this heat increases when computationally demanding applications are run (like IL-2). This is what was happening with my system. After increasing my PC's ventilation as well as blowing out the dust from the CPU/motherboard and fans, everything started to behave normally again and continued to do so.

Overheating is an issue that can be easily overlooked as a problem cause. If you're having difficulty, take a look at how much cooling your system has. The fix could be as simple as a adding an additional inexpensive fan or two. It's not a cure-all by any means but it is something that should be looked at before considering major component replacement. You may not need to replace anything at all.

GR142-Pipper

neural_dream
11-24-2005, 04:08 PM
When I cleaned my CPU fan, temperature dropped from 92 to 47 Celcius http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif.

DrHerb
11-24-2005, 04:20 PM
scrap the compressed air, a good paintbrush is the best to clean out cpu / gpu heatsink fins (just make sure theres no old paint on it)