PDA

View Full Version : Failure to Start (CTD)

Ishmael_Herman
07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
I just purchased Pacific Fighters. After installation, I imediately patched it with the 3.* patch and then the 4.* patch (stand alone). I restarted my PC and started the game.

It didn't work.

My resolution changed and I briefly saw a title screen but then everything went CTD.

I am running WinXP with NVIDIA titanium with the second-to-latest drivers (the latest drivers are said to be problematic).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a fix or a diagnosis?

ISHMAEL

Ishmael_Herman
07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
I just purchased Pacific Fighters. After installation, I imediately patched it with the 3.* patch and then the 4.* patch (stand alone). I restarted my PC and started the game.

It didn't work.

My resolution changed and I briefly saw a title screen but then everything went CTD.

I am running WinXP with NVIDIA titanium with the second-to-latest drivers (the latest drivers are said to be problematic).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a fix or a diagnosis?

ISHMAEL

Zeus-cat
07-31-2005, 04:45 PM
From Steve_v in the User Fixes that may help others thread on the tech support forum:

"rts.dll download

It seems that in some cases the file is not being transferred over from the cd correctly and the file shows up as 0kb. The rts.dll file should be 882kb.

To resolve this problem, please download the attached 'rts.dll' file and save it in the main Forgotten Battles folder (C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles) as well as the ubi.com folder (C:\Program Files\ubi.com).

rts.dll"

You may have to go over there to getthe link.

Zeus-cat

steve_v
07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Odds are you've patched incorrectly. Its always best to do a QMB after installation and each patch. At this point, its impossible to tell where the problem is occuring. If it is patching, reapplying the correct patches in the correct sequence will correct your install.

Patching sequence and more at airwarfare
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm

Ishmael_Herman
07-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.

I've now discovered that the problem occurs with the 3.04 patch. On initial install, the game runs fine. Perfect even. Then, when I patch it with 3.04 (the first patch I've applied), it breaks.

I'm reading the patching instructions you have provided now. Thank you very much!

steve_v
07-31-2005, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ishmael_Herman:
Then, when I patch it with 3.04 (the first patch I've applied), it breaks.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Definitely the problem. Should be 3.03, 100mb first, then 4.01, 100mb second.

Ishmael_Herman
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey yeah! Thanks! I just figured it out myself :-)

I fund the 3.03 patch, then did the 3.04 and finally the 4.01. Everything is working fantastic now.

I was an old-veteran Red Baron 3D player years ago and helped organize some revolutionary online wars. I am very much looking forward to joining a Squadron and getting back into the online gaming scene. It seems it will have to wait until I get the AEP so I can create a merged product like the majority of the hard core IL2 players.