PDA

View Full Version : Suggested improvement to Aircraft Selection Interface

d165w3ll
02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
There are http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif a huge number of planes in this wonderful simulation. So many, in fact, that it's become quite a palaver to work through the list to choose what you want for the current mission.

Might it be possible to tweak the drop-down list into a combination of three or four drop-downs? One might then initially select - or skip through - by larger categories.

Click on "Manufacturer"
Dropdown list of manufacturers appears e.g.
"Messerschmidt"
"Mitsubishi"
"Yakolev"
"etc ..."

Click on e.g. "Messerschmidt"
The following drop-down now populates with models built by that manufacturer. For example:
"Bf109"
"Bf110"
"Me210"
"Me410" (I wish!)
"etc ..."

Click on "Bf109"
At this point, the currently 18 (!!!) models of Bf109 appear in the next drop-down selection box.

This structure would massively simplify and speed up model selection - especially for Quick Missions (which is what I generally do).

A "Country" drop-down might head the list before "Manufacturer" too, but this might bring unwelcome complications regarding loaned (or captured) aircraft.

Even if this is too late now for inclusion in Pacific fighters, BoB would benefit from this sort of stepped drop-down selection box system.

Thanks for looking at this.

And a very big thank-you for the remarkable 4.03 add-on.

d165w3ll
02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
There are http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif a huge number of planes in this wonderful simulation. So many, in fact, that it's become quite a palaver to work through the list to choose what you want for the current mission.

Might it be possible to tweak the drop-down list into a combination of three or four drop-downs? One might then initially select - or skip through - by larger categories.

Click on "Manufacturer"
Dropdown list of manufacturers appears e.g.
"Messerschmidt"
"Mitsubishi"
"Yakolev"
"etc ..."

Click on e.g. "Messerschmidt"
The following drop-down now populates with models built by that manufacturer. For example:
"Bf109"
"Bf110"
"Me210"
"Me410" (I wish!)
"etc ..."

Click on "Bf109"
At this point, the currently 18 (!!!) models of Bf109 appear in the next drop-down selection box.

This structure would massively simplify and speed up model selection - especially for Quick Missions (which is what I generally do).

A "Country" drop-down might head the list before "Manufacturer" too, but this might bring unwelcome complications regarding loaned (or captured) aircraft.

Even if this is too late now for inclusion in Pacific fighters, BoB would benefit from this sort of stepped drop-down selection box system.

Thanks for looking at this.

And a very big thank-you for the remarkable 4.03 add-on.

nicolas10
02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Would be pretty nice to have filters if you want, but not necessary. Ie if you don't select them you have the whole list as you have now.

Philipscdrw
02-16-2006, 05:41 AM
A (hopefully) simple solution to making the QMB easier to use would be to set the default aircraft to an aircraft that's halfway through the plane-list, instead of at the top. So instead of the default selection being the A-20G, it would be the A6M2 - that way, you only need to move through up to half the list to get to any aircraft.

rr9
02-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Philipscdrw:
Or it could remember all the selections you made on the QMB screen the last time you used it.

Jetbuff
02-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Or, you could save the QMB scenario and load it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

On a more serious note, I like the idea of filtering options though I wouldn't expect them before BOB.