PDA

View Full Version : Trim Setting Indications

DRB_Hookech0
12-30-2004, 12:45 PM
This has most likely come up before but with me at work...I dont have time to look. Here goes.

Oleg (I feel like I'm writing to Santa), Is it possable to get some sort of indication of trim settings. Like when you drop flaps you get "Flaps - Combat" etc... on the right side of the screen. With the new FM in 3.03, using the right trim I think is vital to carrier ops now. In the past we have been able to get away with many things while taking off of a carrier but now.....we need to set the plane up correctly inorder to use this new FM. I have a copy of the F4U-1 flight manual. In it, they list the correct trim settings for T.O. and Landing etc..

Our problem (ok, my problem) is that I have no idea what a click in the game = degrees. I can look down (via IRTracker2) and see the knobs/wheels moving but I have no clue if they are calabreated to show anything other than movement.

I've taken a few flight lessons and one thing the IP said over and over again was "Attatude, speed, trim" over and over. The way trim acts now...with the delay...you end up chasing it all over. Yes I know there were problems in IL2 with trim sliders (god I just had a RBJ flashback) and their use for bat turns but now that we are getting to the ragged edge of realistic FM on a PC, then trim becomes that much more important. Can we get a setting in the diffaculty screen to have normal real world trim or the delayed trim?

When I was in HS my dad took me out to Boeing here in Wichita, where he worked and took me up in a full motion B52H sim. It was amazing, felt very real. One of the things I really remember (other than me flying into the back of a KC135 while tanking) was that my dad was spinning that huge trim wheel (elevators IIRC) back and forth. He said proper trim is as important as any other aspect of flight.

I'm not here asking for any gee wiz shinny new toys, just some indication of our current trim settings and a way to get rid of the lag induced during the early trimslidder bat wing days.

DRB_Hookech0
12-30-2004, 12:45 PM
This has most likely come up before but with me at work...I dont have time to look. Here goes.

Oleg (I feel like I'm writing to Santa), Is it possable to get some sort of indication of trim settings. Like when you drop flaps you get "Flaps - Combat" etc... on the right side of the screen. With the new FM in 3.03, using the right trim I think is vital to carrier ops now. In the past we have been able to get away with many things while taking off of a carrier but now.....we need to set the plane up correctly inorder to use this new FM. I have a copy of the F4U-1 flight manual. In it, they list the correct trim settings for T.O. and Landing etc..

Our problem (ok, my problem) is that I have no idea what a click in the game = degrees. I can look down (via IRTracker2) and see the knobs/wheels moving but I have no clue if they are calabreated to show anything other than movement.

I've taken a few flight lessons and one thing the IP said over and over again was "Attatude, speed, trim" over and over. The way trim acts now...with the delay...you end up chasing it all over. Yes I know there were problems in IL2 with trim sliders (god I just had a RBJ flashback) and their use for bat turns but now that we are getting to the ragged edge of realistic FM on a PC, then trim becomes that much more important. Can we get a setting in the diffaculty screen to have normal real world trim or the delayed trim?

When I was in HS my dad took me out to Boeing here in Wichita, where he worked and took me up in a full motion B52H sim. It was amazing, felt very real. One of the things I really remember (other than me flying into the back of a KC135 while tanking) was that my dad was spinning that huge trim wheel (elevators IIRC) back and forth. He said proper trim is as important as any other aspect of flight.

I'm not here asking for any gee wiz shinny new toys, just some indication of our current trim settings and a way to get rid of the lag induced during the early trimslidder bat wing days.

DRB_Hookech0
12-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Yikes...the masses are speachless....this might be a first

chaikanut
12-31-2004, 02:36 AM
I have mentioned this before, about a week ago. I wanted an indicator of pitch trim to help with my gunnery during combat manoevers and when the speed changes. If trim is not correct, the aircraft is either nonresponsive or jumps up and either way you cant follow the target. I hope this is implemented in a following patch.

chaikanut
12-31-2004, 05:16 AM
BUMP!

TX-EcoDragon
12-31-2004, 05:25 AM
Generally you trim by feel once in flight, the trim position indicator is usually used for anticipating configuration changes. In piston aircraft this is generally only before takeoff where a demarcation indicates the takeoff position. I don't think that some visual indications of trim position would be hard to include if the trim wheel sthemselves where fully animated, but in all honesty the way the FM is in the sim trim is not quite as important as it is in the real world.

WWMaxGunz
12-31-2004, 06:10 AM
How often you trim depends on a lot because I know a good many pilots who trim with
every change in flight that's going to be held much. I've been told the attitude,
speed, trim thing very often. I had that repeated by a WWII bomber pilot many times,
and they would also work the prop blades pitch for efficiency and killing contrails
as well... managing is the name of the game for big multi's. There is also what Bud
Anderson wrote about trim which he stated exactly he did constantly even during
dogfights, with recollection including trimming while in a fight for his life and
how it's just an automatic thing like keeping a car radio tuned while driving.

What I don't get in the sim and cannot is the feel of stick force changing as I dial
the bloody trim. I have asked for and been answered that there will be no change but
wth, I would really like to see just one key for trim that I hit when I feel the plane
needs trimming. No magic, just the trim moves to wherever I have the stick when I hit
that key and I can ease off the stick which is a bit closer to the forces easing up.

Consider that it would be impossible to preset the trim all the way for the still usable
"bat turns" exploit that the delay has not put an end to since you'd have to pitch up
to put the trim in motion and pitch up hard to go for full trim... leave the delay and
see that hole closed then take out the insta-neutral-trim key and see if things online
don't change. Well I guess you could preset trim before takeoff easier and better that
way as long as you started with a plane always in neutral trim condition.

GreyBeast
12-31-2004, 10:48 AM
ka-BUMP!

chaikanut
01-01-2005, 06:37 AM
I'll bump this again before it sinks in the mud.

Willey
01-01-2005, 08:00 AM
http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/bump-smile.gif

GreyBeast
01-01-2005, 10:32 AM
ka-BUMP-again!

chaikanut
01-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Could someone tell me how to link separate threads in a post? I intend to link this to the ask oleg sticky. Or otherwise can someone do this himself?

Bearcat99
01-05-2005, 08:01 AM
In the meantime why not get an X45 stick and map trim to one of the sliders....? There is a detent on the slider so you will always know where neutral is. Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/x45digjoyand1.html) to see if you can get a refurbed one for $39. This sim SCREAMS for a HOTAS setup. If you have a FFB stick.. no problem.. just add the X45 and use the X45 stick as a button bay.

DRB_Hookech0
01-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Bearcat, I have a CH FS+PP+PT, at some point in the future I'll add a TQ but I figured it was cheaper for me to ask if we can get some sort of indication of trim

Bearcat99
01-05-2005, 09:14 AM
rgr....... it would be nice.... an addition to the speedbar.

DRB_Hookech0
01-05-2005, 10:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
"an addition to the speedbar" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking along the lines of how the power settings work. You adjust and they fade away over time. I'd like to see the same thing for trim, just so you know how far from Zero you are in each direction. I guess this would be a "Dynamic Trim Display"....or something