PDA

View Full Version : Not the meaning of life, but the bombsight

jugent
03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
I dont understand why the "haircross" of the bomber-sight disapears?

Furthermore, why the bombs automatically drops when you set the increase bombsight altitude and toggle bombsight mode is on.

Does it behave this way because its how it was done during the WWII?

If not I dont understand why UBI-soft invested so much time in this detail,when there are so many other things to correct.

jugent
03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
I dont understand why the "haircross" of the bomber-sight disapears?

Furthermore, why the bombs automatically drops when you set the increase bombsight altitude and toggle bombsight mode is on.

Does it behave this way because its how it was done during the WWII?

If not I dont understand why UBI-soft invested so much time in this detail,when there are so many other things to correct.

Tooz_69GIAP
03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
These are features of the real bombsite.

The site disappears when you bank your aircraft more than 3 degrees to prot or starboard from the horizontal. It then takes about 30 seconds to reset the bombsite when you level out again.

The bombs automatically drop because when you hit bombsite automation, what that means is that the bombsite assumes the target you want to hit is where your crosshairs were last pointed, and so the site is calculating the best time to drop your bombs based on the speed and altitude information you inputted before you hit the automation key. When the aircraft reaches the correct point where the bombs will hit the target your crossharis were pointed at, then the bombs are dropped automatically.

You can turn this feature off by hitting the bombsite automation key again to stop the release of the bombs.

p1ngu666
03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
i dont know if its just me, i got really good awhile ago, now im missing afairbit. also does the bombsite not "track" well for some ppl, u haveto keep adusting your speed, even tho u havent changed the speed of the plane?

stathem
03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Yes Pingu, rgr that.

I also noticed on the MTonline map the other day, I was bombing from 10,000' and the TAS should have been 240mph, but it would only track properly with the bombsight velocity set to 200(ie the IAS). Does the Med have different air? (quicker overheat) Has anyone else had that experience?

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
The bombsight is controlled by a set of Gyroscopes. Banking the aicraft with more then 4 degree's will disrupt the gyroscopes and they need time to recover.

Bombsight automation was invented to increase accuracy of the bombrelease. Like when your aircraft shakes because of the AAA explosions around it, it is very hard for the bombardier to release the bombs on time. There are probably many more reasons why automated bombsight is more accurate then manual release.

If you need a good level-bombing guide that explains all the basic and advanced features of the bombsight and level bombing, I would recommend the Level bombing guide by AWL spinner. He made some training video's on how to operate the bombsight. There are some practice missions so you can try it yourself. THere is also an extensive 12 page document enclosed wich covers all the theory about bombsights. You can download it at http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/b25_lbg.htm

Happy flying!

p.s. This guide is meant for the B-25 but, the same basic rules applies for the HE-111.

AWL_Spinner
03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
stathem - if you were flying the B25 the sight is operating (as best we can guess) in TAS knots not TAS mph as you'd expect given the instrumentation and display. This seems to be a bug and you'll always have to use a lower-than-true TAS in mph or compensate for knots (c.10-15% less).

p1ngu666
03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
spinner, do u haveto constantly adust the speed to keep the target in the crosshairs?
i find im using 210, but as i get closer to the target im constantly fiddling with speed, despite my actual speed having not changed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
this often means i miss now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

btw, on he111 tutorial vid, thats now entirely off if u watch it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

stathem
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks Spinner, that explains a lot, I always thought it was mph, and have had to use lower values. The speed in the Med had to be particularly low though.

I'll recalc the speed and fly it in knots in the future

Joe-90
03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
The B25 is a beauty!

The bombsite works, but there is a knack to it because, as spinner says, the TAS is bugged and you have to lower it by about 10% (well I fly at 10,000ft, IAS 218, TAS 260, set bombsight to 250 and drop 3 pairs of 500lbs)

Here's a video I made about level bombing (kindly hosted by Dart):

http://www.darts-page.com/movies/B25_Training_Video_for_IL2.zip

As for the map, yep, the temperature does affect it. Same as on a winter map, since the gauge works on air pressure. So be careful on any winter or desert missions!

THough, after much practice, it would appear that most B25 sorties require low level bombing. Exciting, but a shame not to get using the norden sight too much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
03-23-2005, 09:48 PM
I just did some flying in the B-25, and this time when inputting the TAS I used the KIAS value from the speedbar to calculate the airspeed using the Bombsite Table 2 utility (indispensible for Level bombing IMHO) instead of MPH. It worked - my drops were far more accurate, and there was far less need to adjust the crosshairs.

Weird bug, but then, it's weird that we have to use a Loefte site on a B-25!!!

ClnlSandersLite
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Check the tables in my sig. It has a table for the b-25.

stathem
03-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Thanks for all the info chaps.

Maybe I'll be able to get that pig in the pickle barrel more often now.

jugent
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
No wonder why most of the bombs missed.