PDA

View Full Version : AI and the weather

morriem
05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Does anyone have a clue how the developers set up the weather? Does it randomly change to random parameters? Are the parameters influenced by the player settings?

The reason I ask is that since I set storm condition (rough water) to 10mps or greater, the AI seems to have biased the randomly generated weather conditions to worse than before I modified the storm condition. I know that the weather in the north atlantic was rough much of the time, but not 95% of the time.
For my first patrol, Sept of 1939, had all but two days (between convoys) of 13 mps or above wind conditions, in fact 22 days of 15mps wind.
October was just slightly better, 18 days of 15mps or higher, 26 days of double digit wind figures. This is just not realistic, as there were many days of decent weather in the atlantic, interspersed with storms. For a game that emphasises realism, I find their weather model a serious disappointment. Also, medium and heavy fog seems prevalent at higher wind speeds, almost never at the lower ones, contrary to normal meterological statistics.

Finally, I'm a little miffed because twice, as I turned to approach convoys that were several hours away, the winds suddenly {?) picked up, so as to nullify an attempted deck gun attack.

Consequently, in a two month period, I was only able to approach one convoy with an outside windspeed under 10mps. This did not occur before I modified the storm settings. The wind would pick up to 7 or 8 mps, just enough to nullify a deck gun attack with the unmodified settings.....Hmmm can anyone help here with some information on the weather models...thanks

morriem
05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Does anyone have a clue how the developers set up the weather? Does it randomly change to random parameters? Are the parameters influenced by the player settings?

The reason I ask is that since I set storm condition (rough water) to 10mps or greater, the AI seems to have biased the randomly generated weather conditions to worse than before I modified the storm condition. I know that the weather in the north atlantic was rough much of the time, but not 95% of the time.
For my first patrol, Sept of 1939, had all but two days (between convoys) of 13 mps or above wind conditions, in fact 22 days of 15mps wind.
October was just slightly better, 18 days of 15mps or higher, 26 days of double digit wind figures. This is just not realistic, as there were many days of decent weather in the atlantic, interspersed with storms. For a game that emphasises realism, I find their weather model a serious disappointment. Also, medium and heavy fog seems prevalent at higher wind speeds, almost never at the lower ones, contrary to normal meterological statistics.

Finally, I'm a little miffed because twice, as I turned to approach convoys that were several hours away, the winds suddenly {?) picked up, so as to nullify an attempted deck gun attack.

Consequently, in a two month period, I was only able to approach one convoy with an outside windspeed under 10mps. This did not occur before I modified the storm settings. The wind would pick up to 7 or 8 mps, just enough to nullify a deck gun attack with the unmodified settings.....Hmmm can anyone help here with some information on the weather models...thanks

rls669
05-27-2006, 03:03 PM
It's just bad luck, the game doesn't base the weather on your custom deck gun settings.