PDA

View Full Version : Landing Problems

Peterturn
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
How do I stop once I have landed several times i've gone right off the end of the carrier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Thanks in advance for any help.

Peterturn
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
How do I stop once I have landed several times i've gone right off the end of the carrier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Thanks in advance for any help.

The_Great_Stonk
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
try lowering your arrestor hook...

youll have to assign the command to a key in the controls menu.

neil_1821
04-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
Heres a little secret that might help http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
If you are going off the end i presume you either arn't deploying your hook or just can't snag it. If you havn't deployed your hook then go into options and assign a button to it. This will deploy something that looks like a massive fishing hook. The tricck then is to land with your tail first so that it snags onto a rope.
If you have deployed your hook then watch the tutorial video, this should give you some pointers. Being fairely new to this myself it takes me a few attempts at landing and i can also land in the drink http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
Hope it helps

Duncan_Doenitz
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Okay, this may be all wrong (and suggestions from better fliers are welcome of course) but offline, here's what works for me:

It would probably be more realistic to add full flaps just before touching down, but I do it early in the approach. One less thing to worry about during the last critical seconds, and no sudden changes in flight performance. Wheels and hook down early too, at 250kph. This all helps to slow down to a landing speed, just above stall speed which may be around 160kph or less depending on the plane. (I got in the habit of using the metric readings in earlier versions of the game.)

Make sure your supercharger is at Stage I and 100% prop, 100% fuel mix, critical for a go-around.

Then trim up as high as the trim setting will go, to get the hook low and relieve control pressure, giving a better feel for the minor corrections.

I don't use the cockpit aid built in for spotting the landing. It did help me though during early practice attempts. It is more fun to "watch" the landing. You even see the sparks from the hook on the deck. But that's my personal choice. Your mileage may vary.

The hook on the Seafire seems to hang lower, it is a good stable practice plane. And the "early birds" handle slow flight better too. Some of them will safely land with braking if you miss the cables. In "real life" you should probably be on the throttle at touchdown, but in the game I chop it.

The cockpit should be open (so you can escape quickly) but I find it more important to be prepared to turn left or right if you are going into the water in front of the carrier in a botched landing. It keeps you alive, you don't get run over by the carrier.

Dunc (or, in some landings, "Dunk")

Peterturn
04-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Peterturn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Latico
04-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Make sure you are flying a plane that ws designed for carrier ops. Not all planes have arrester hooks

Patch_whiner
04-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Things I have learned about landing on carriers (mostly in Zeke).
1. Never be in a hurry
2. Some tailhooks are quite small, have a look at the aircraft
from outside to see how substantial it is. If its small (like
on a Zeke) the tail will need to go down firmly to the carrier deck
3. Use the gunsight to aim past the end of the carrier and try to keep it there
4. Come in slow, slightly before the carrier fills your view quickly reduce throttle
while pulling back on stick.
5. Be careful to avoid hitting the curved (from the side) section at the beginning
of the carrier, because then you'll be launched into the air and miss the wires
completely before you crash into the carrier.

Practice first in clear weather then in poor weather until you can make 5 landings (one after another) without any problems. Now you are ready for a campaign on a carrier.

PW

kutyaxxon
04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
another stupid ideas,but it s helped me.if u cannot make the hook into that rope,raise the flaps in the final moments before touchdown,and give more angle of attack.helps a lot if u fly a short-hooked plane.

Asgeir_Strips
04-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Carrier Landings is EASY, I Made it with a Spit (Seafire) and Corsair on my first try the day i bougbt the game. As long as you make a Curved approach from the left hand side of the ship (turning left the whole time until right before touchdown) you cant go wrong! That way, you can see the deck the whole time until you land.

Did i mentioned that i always use the full cockpit view?
Landing aids (except for the Fresnel lens that they sue nowadays) is for n00bs! :lol:

NietzscheMadMan
04-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm a real pilot in real life (or this fantastic simulation that occurs between the times I'm playing PF as it is known to many) and much to my suprise, most of the airplanes in the game are modeled accurately as far as basic aerodynamics go.

When you are on approach do extend your flaps, gear, and hook first thing. If you need to lose a little airspeed first, use long, sweeping S turns.

But here is the clencher that I was suprised to see when I first noticed it: Slow flight is modeled beautifully!

Basically, on approach you want to control your speed with pitch and descent speed with throttle. If you are dropping too fast, add a little power and do the opposite if you need to descend. If you are getting slow, lower the nose and kick in a little power. This will give you added speed without a huge altitude penalty.

In real life this one took me a while to grasp but you have to understand it before you can fly properly.

It's counter-intuitive but remember:

Pitch = Airspeed
Altitude = Throttle.