PDA

View Full Version : If it's "Desmond's Game" how will they make it work?

UnstableMan
12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
What I mean is how will it even resemble Assassins Creed in terms of gameplay? How do you think they could make it work?

If you are playing as Desmond what weapons would you have? Would the guards be replaced with police? Will Desmond renovate New York (Or whatever city he's in.)

I highly doubt if Desmond kills civilians in a street in new york police will take out swords and sticks to aprehend you. What means of transportation would you have? Car? Train? Ziplines going from skyscraper to skyscraper would be pretty awesome. Having the hookblade back would be welcomed because we are going to need as much speed as possible to climb modern day cities.

What armour would you have? If any? The only thing I could think of is bullet proof vests or riot armor but thats not very assassins esque. I very much doubt that Ubisoft would allow us to use actual guns as that would butcher it but a sword may not be practical if our enemies will have actual firearms.

I could picture Desmond having a pocket knife or a tazer or something but not a sword as that just wouldn't be practical. If this will be Desmond's game how on earth will they pull it off and still have something that resembles AC?

Sorry that this post has been a big mess of ideas but this has been brewing in my head for so long and now that this next game looks like it will be Desmond's I wanted to bring this to light with others.

What do you think would be some good modern day counterparts to what we are accustomed to?

Dagio12
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I just cant picture an entire desmond game. At least, not in the same sense as what we have been getting with the ancestors. I don't think you can literally take what we are doing as ancestors, and just move that over to modern times ( at least when it comes to a modern day city)... It just wouldn't work... well, it might, but it would be very silly at best. The things that happen and things we did during our ancestors time seem a little more acceptable for those time periods then modern times. The 1100's and 1500's were quite a bit different from today, and i dont think you can just take what we have been doing as ancestors and work it into today's society. At least not in the middle of New York or any big city setting.

If I had to make guesses on what the gameplay would be like for Desmond, I would guess it would be more exploratory type of gameplay (beginning of Brotherhood... etc.) Maybe a little combat kind of like the beginning of AC2, things of that nature. Probably more linear in nature. More platforming, exploring, puzzle solving.

I just dont picture us running wild in New York city, openning up businesses, climbing up skyscrapers and doing leaps of faith into hot dog vendors.

Grandmaster_Z
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM
desmond is a conduit

VexedRelic
12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
It's really all about the game-play mechanics. In the first AC game it was all about how you approached the assassination, some having multiple ways to solve them. Assassins Creed 2 on the other hand had more of a combat and army direction where Enzio wasn't a trained assassin, whose work was sloppy compared to Altair.

Desmond in a full story game could be about approach and assassination rather than getting your sword out and swing it wildy.

It's already been hinted, suggest or whatever that Desmond will use a shock blade, which I guess will shock/stun guards from shooting you a point blank range, besides that Desmond will most likely have hidden blades and a gun with a silencer or possibly a stun gun if the game is more stealthy in nature.

Il_Divo
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by SF2themax:
I just cant picture an entire desmond game. At least, not in the same sense as what we have been getting with the ancestors. I don't think you can literally take what we are doing as ancestors, and just move that over to modern times ( at least when it comes to a modern day city)... It just wouldn't work... well, it might, but it would be very silly at best. The things that happen and things we did during our ancestors time seem a little more acceptable for those time periods then modern times. The 1100's and 1500's were quite a bit different from today, and i dont think you can just take what we have been doing as ancestors and work it into today's society. At least not in the middle of New York or any big city setting.

If I had to make guesses on what the gameplay would be like for Desmond, I would guess it would be more exploratory type of gameplay (beginning of Brotherhood... etc.) Maybe a little combat kind of like the beginning of AC2, things of that nature. Probably more linear in nature. More platforming, exploring, puzzle solving.

I just dont picture us running wild in New York city, openning up businesses, climbing up skyscrapers and doing leaps of faith into hot dog vendors.

I think this is the problem as well.

How would fans accept an AC game with no swords/little melee combat? Anyone who's grown accustomed to the gameplay probably wouldn't approve.

On the other hand, what if Ubisoft shoehorned in some attempt at including swords into a modern setting? That might come off as equally stupid.

It's a very dangerous tightrope they're currently walking.

dxsxhxcx
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
IMO is impossible to make an entire game about Desmond with the gameplay similar to what we have with his ancestors without turning the game into something similar to Splinter Cell, what wouldn't be that bad since I like Splinter Cell, but I don't know if I want this for an AC game...

RangerRico
12-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Whether the next game is all Desmond or another ancestor, eventually a modern AC game will come. The question is, in a world dominated by ranged guns and such, what kind of weapons are there to replace the old ones while still keeping the same AC hack-n-slash combat style.

For thrown weapons, I think they should still keep trowing knives, but add tomahawks and shurikens as options. tomahawks would have the most lethal, but the smallest ammo capacity, knives having the middle, and shurikens having the least lethality, but most ammo. But in this category, I'd like to see some no lethal tactical weapons, like pepper spray

For the hidden gun and cross bow, I think they could split those into large and small ranged weapons the way there's the short and long melee weapons. They would also have stats like the melee weapons which could be lethality, accuracy, ammo capacity, aim speed, reload speed, and noise level. So in for example, You could have, in the hand held slot, you could have an uzi or something which would have lower lethality, lower accuracy, high ammo capacity, very fast aim speed, very fast reload speed, and louder noise level; you could also have at the same time in the large gun spot maybe a sniper, with high lethality, high accuracy, low ammo capacity, low aim speed, low reload speed, and quiet noise level. But this is one example, you could also have a pistol and a shot gun, or an LMG.

But for the melee weapons, the choices are somewhat limited while staying realistic since they've mostly become out dated. While they've added a bunch of fancy gadgets and guns, the blade is still the soul of the AC fighting system. They could have folding and fixed blade knives, hammers, hatchets, even kitchen knives as a short blade, but it would feel a little awkward to bring back and fighting with some giant medieval sword against a guy with a baton or an M16.
However what they could do if the do the gun idea is attach different bayonets to the large guns.
But there are other things that can be used as melee weapons such as different sludge hammers, crowbars, batons, fire axes, pick axes, night sticks, or even a riot shield (which could be an enemy class). In some of the modern deadliest warrior episodes, they've used a spade, a machete, a grappling hook, brass knuckles, a bat, a garrote, and even nunchucks.
Another easy fix would be to move the location to some place where melee weapons are more commonly used by law enforcement, this game does't have to be in New York city, I think that would actually be almost impossible because it's mostly sky scrappers.

One thing they could also do is add martial arts where if you tap the buttons in a certain order, it will do a combo. Not like some crazy mortal kombat combo, but since most armed forces know some type of hand-to-hand fight tactics, it seems like a reasonable addition. Maybe some like, kick their face to make them stagger for a few seconds, steal their weapon, vault over them, flip them over your shoulder onto their back, snap their arm, I don't know, stuff like that.

Another addition they could add would be a retractable blade that sticks out of the front of your shoes like the Joker's in The Dark Knight. You could use them to climb faster, in melee combat, and for 4 person assassinations instead of 2 like in the past.

joaomuas
12-01-2011, 03:37 PM
It's simple: guards have guns, you don't. A way to survive? Social STEALTH.

RangerRico
12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by joaomuas11:

The thing about this though is you've had guns in the past, even in AC1 so Ubi isn't against range weapons, and why would you deprive yourself of reasonable technology.

albertwesker22
12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by joaomuas11:

AC is all about freedom of approach. You play with your style. You can be stealthy, or you can go all out action man. A modern setting with guns would kill that.

UnstableMan
12-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Another thing to consider is how on earth would you navigate buildings and such. If it is in a city with skyscrapers (which I hope it is if were going modern) it would take a very long time to get to certain places.

Maybe the hookblade could shoot out and grapple to things so you could travel spiderman style (that may be way too over the top though.) Honestly I think that's why they took out horses and put in lines. To slowly lean us towards that method of travel.

If it is in AC3 it would need to be improved considerably. Maybe a nexus of lines throughout a city and asyour zipping through Desmond could flip off one line and hook on to another while in the air. Think of how enthralling that would be especially if your hundreds of stories up with streets far below you.

And now that I think about it, it is modern times. The assassins's may have all sorts of new tech and such. I think something along the lines of Batman Arkham City would be awesome. Im not saying it has to be simmilarbut useing it as a reference point in terms of travel.

E-Zekiel
12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I suggest those who think a modern day Assassin's Creed would be impossible try out Arkham City.

Batman essentially melees his foes, many of which have guns. It's all about stealth, getting the drop, and sometimes using gadgets to remove guns from being a factor.

dxsxhxcx
12-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
I suggest those who think a modern day Assassin's Creed would be impossible try out Arkham City.

Batman essentially melees his foes, many of which have guns. It's all about stealth, getting the drop, and sometimes using gadgets to remove guns from being a factor.

Batman is a well known hero in his universe, while Desmond is just a normal person in the eyes of the common people, how these people would react once they saw a person climbing a building or fighting (and killing) random people in the middle of the street?! With all the technology they have in the modern days (cell phones, cameras on the street, etc), Desmond would be on TV in no time, it would be almost impossible for him to walk around in a city after that...

kriegerdesgottes
12-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

Batman is a well known hero in his universe, while Desmond is just a normal person in the eyes of the common people, how these people would react once they saw a person climbing a building or fighting (and killing) random people in the middle of the street?! With all the technology they have in the modern days (cell phones, cameras on the street, etc), Desmond would be on TV in no time, it would be almost impossible for him to walk around in a city after that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also let's face it, Batman is an amazing game but it's not quite realistic. They take serious liberties with reality in that game to make it fun and in that universe it's fine and cool but you can't take such liberties with an AC game and have people not complain about it.

E-Zekiel
12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

Batman is a well known hero in his universe, while Desmond is just a normal person in the eyes of the common people, how these people would react once they saw a person climbing a building or fighting (and killing) random people in the middle of the street?! With all the technology they have in the modern days (cell phones, cameras on the street, etc), Desmond would be on TV in no time, it would be almost impossible for him to walk around in a city after that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...You did see that I mentioned stealth in my post?

How is the stealth aspect unrealistic?

dxsxhxcx
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:

...You did see that I mentioned stealth in my post?

How is the stealth aspect unrealistic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you mentioned stealth, but IMO the ability to free roam would suffer in a modern day setting, we wouldn't have much freedom like we have with his ancestors, the problem isn't the combat, but the free roam, or you would like to not be able to climb buildings whenever you want like you do with Ezio/Altair, IMO it would be weird if we would be able to do this with the people in the streets (and the police) not reacting to that and acting like if that was normal...

raven11d
12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
there will never be an AC game 100% based on the present time.

at the end of ACR .. that's hardly a city where they are, they are in the middle of nowhere. sure, there will be some Desmond play in ACR but probably platform and puzzle to get in the temple like desmond did in monterigionni and rome but they will not make him run around a big city, climbing skyscrapers and what not. desmond will need to sync with a new ancestor in order to get in the temple, maybe he'll need to find a specific PoE to get into it or something.

AC is all about the history, exploring ancient cities and the things that happened in that period.

albertwesker22
12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by raven11d:
there will never be an AC game 100% based on the present time.

at the end of ACR .. that's hardly a city where they are, they are in the middle of nowhere. sure, there will be some Desmond play in ACR but probably platform and puzzle to get in the temple like desmond did in monterigionni and rome but they will not make him run around a big city, climbing skyscrapers and what not. desmond will need to sync with a new ancestor in order to get in the temple, maybe he'll need to find a specific PoE to get into it or something.

AC is all about the history, exploring ancient cities and the things that happened in that period.

Well history is their playground http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lurker178
12-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I think the problem with a full Desmond game is that he only has a mouth to get things done back in his time before Abstergo launches their satellite. I can see Desmond reliving the life of another ancestor in the next game, though that hypothetical ancestor may not get as much time as Ezio Auditoire. Hopefully, if this turns out to be the case, the missions that have you playing as this ancestor could be set during the American or French Revolution. Afterall, they did hint a connection to that time period at the end of Brotherhood. Of course, I can also see this possible ancestor being down-played, considering the fact that they'll need to focus more on the modern time storyline in the next game since it's going to be the one to end Desmond's story.

Agentbarto
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
They could always pull a Eureka Season 4 Episode 1 (when it comes to justifying the combat system)

RangerRico
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe what they could do is do a bunch of linear missions like with the Altiar stuff in ACR for Desmond in the new game, then go back into the Animus for non-linear gameplay. The reason for reliving his ancestor could be that the modern assassins cant get into the temple, but his ancestor knows how.

albertwesker22
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by RangerRico:
Maybe what they could do is do a bunch of linear missions like with the Altiar stuff in ACR for Desmond in the new game, then go back into the Animus for non-linear gameplay. The reason for reliving his ancestor could be that the modern assassins cant get into the temple, but his ancestor knows how.

That is a good idea and probably very likely.

AnthonyA85
12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Well, as for combat, i think if they followed Uncharted 3's approach, they could make it VERY realistic and fluid

I've watched some vids on youtube of the melee in UC3, and to be honest, it looks ALOT more relaistic and fluid than any of the AC games, and i've never actually played any of the UC series.

And I hope to god that the Desmond sequences in the game are NOT linear, and that we can free-roam as him, for longer than 10 minutes at a time.

goclo822
12-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RangerRico:
Yeah I think that is likely what will happen. Even though it would be cool to do all the stuff you can do with the ancestors with Desmond in the real world, it would be odd to do so, so I think this would work the best. However I want way more gameplay for Desmond then we had for Altair.

Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
And I hope to god that the Desmond sequences in the game are NOT linear, and that we can free-roam as him, for longer than 10 minutes at a time.
THIS!

MajorMinus
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by go_clo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RangerRico:
Yeah I think that is likely what will happen. Even though it would be cool to do all the stuff you can do with the ancestors with Desmond in the real world, it would be odd to do so, so I think this would work the best. However I want way more gameplay for Desmond then we had for Altair.

THIS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
*picturing it* Free roam as Desmond with modern assassin gear around a city.

Animuses
12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Batons, batons, and more batons!

max170892
12-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Exactly it all has to do with game mechanics, they keep adding new ones and incorporating new ones with the times of the game. of course there will be no comparison between the ancient times and modern times when it comes to just running around killing people, but do you really think we won't see any skyscraper climbing, i can totally see Desmond freaking at someone mentioning the idea for a situation over a radio where he most climb the outside of the building from half way up to get around the high level security, would make sense, there are buildings like this is real life where you can't get off at certain levels let alone have the elevator even go to those levels without a special code, or card clearance. There would of course be guns, and i think they'll have a bit of batman in this in a sense in the fact a few shots from a gun your far more likely to die then someone throwing knives or arrows at you. so they'll be a emphasis on keeping yourself alive because this time your actually a person not a memory.

They'll probably put a emphasis on disguises as well. There so many things i can see them involve its ridiculous, like i can see them adding tools for the modern day that are based on the tech of the pieces of Eden, like i call one idea of mine a "bite of Eden", a name i do not care if ubisoft steals from me, which is a small golden apple cuff link you can create one of those solid hologram versions of yourself for escape, distraction, as an additional person to fight with you when there is a huge number of guys.

and maybe get information from people with the wave of your hand, and it would make sense since the pieces of Eden have a control over the weak minded, or at least i know the apple does, they never show in the 2nd or brotherhood if the staff can control people, just make some flash of light which knocks people out or something. I keep wondering if they will be able to incorporate Desmond's modern crusade with this whole 2012 thing but i doubt they can do it fast enough, the most likely thing is their either waiting for 2012 to pass so they can say Desmond's the reason we survived. Ha Ha (sarcasm).or they aren't gonna have Desmond as the main character in a modern assassins creed. i think Desmond's role is to possibly save the world but probably by helping the Templars to find the pieces of Eden and rule the world as their secretly tracking you or are always right on your trail, or they know your the descendant of Adam and that by pretending to let you escape they know you'd be more apt to do what they said if you didn't know the orders were from them. i think the final futuristic assassins creed will be a son of the head of abstergo, the head of the world.

he will learn about the ways of his ancestors, keep asking questions his father and others won't like to hear, and he'll be forced to study and work harder at it in his mansion full of Templar memorabilia and some of the best pieces of Templar history. i think the assassins will become completely deleted from history, but due to Templar glory, the son of the head of the world, will stumble in his fathers room, find Desmond's hidden blade, a trophy of when the Templars finally defeated the assassins and took full control of the world. their in the blade will be traces of blood from Lucy, the descendant of Eve, and the person who helped the descendant of Adam, Desmond, become an ultimate assassin. she will know everything Desmond knows and more, including how to get rid of the reality overlap which happens to Desmond in the second game. I believe this futuristic world will be set in the relatively far off future when all the characters of the first few assassins have all already died of old age.

This way going around killing people won't seem as weird in a completely different world then it would have in modern times, or at least for some reason the developers at ubisoft think this, that people won't want to kill modern day snakes, because what better way to emphasize people being blind in modern times. It will be a time when the Templars have taken full on 1984 style dictatorship that no one but those in the highest ranks of the Templar would be smart enough to know how people are really treated. which is why the son of the Templar, you, will decide to right the wrongs of your ancestors and save the species in the name of Monerva, as other wise the Templar world would just advance to the same point as the old ones and they will die out. I'm assuming at this point things such as the animus have been broken down to their technologies for reproduction and advancement, which i can see many high ranking Templar ancestors having personal access to the "Eden" technologies.

I'm thinking chipped animus readers in people to help streamline human memory to a computerized system, but will allow one to read DNA for memories and the like but more instantaneous since they have gotten through all the limitations of the animus over the time they've had control. Giving the son of the Templar all the information, and allowing him over a bit of time see and understand everything that has happened as if he was there, but like first few days after, maybe seconds, not weeks or years to analyze it. My main reasoning behind this idea that the Templars must first win to lose is the fact that, one, the developers don't want to set in to semi modern times due to "moral" issues per say,two, it would explain why Monerva had you stab Lucy with no reason why, to transfer the blood to the hidden blade. Of course there are many things i could be wrong with, but still i can see many of them being right.

But also it could be completely wrong in reasoning if they give a reason for stabbing her being she later betrays you or something to open you up and make you help her find the pieces of Eden for the Templars, but at the same time i can see what i said being right as the old ones probably don't have the power to see the future, but they can make a plan thousands of years in the making to work out in the proper way, just look at the whole Desmond hears the message from Monerva through Ezio thing. but then again how would she know your name was Desmond, i tried to argue that its why she called you the prophet, but it would also make sense it was said to get you to the church where you hear the message, since you were after the guy who thought he was the prophet and that was where he needed to go as the prophet, the church to open the vault. Again with the games its all game mechanics, and i can see them making several more games to create more game mechanics and introduce new ones people can get used to like with assassins creed 2 bringing you into brotherhood with knowing all the mechanics of the one before it its easier to move into the new mechanics because the vast number of mechanics from before become second memory, maybe its a animus reference. So i can see them releasing a game in world war 2 as an assassin, to bring gun mechanics into the game, but like the modern day thing apparently they don't want to do world war 2 because there is still enough secrets about it they probably don't want to poke the hornets nest, like bringing public the fact the main German fighter needed American patented oil to run so millions were sent both ways and per-longing the war just meant good business, and how the major banks had the hands in the pockets of leaders all over the world.

dxsxhxcx
12-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Well, as for combat, i think if they followed Uncharted 3's approach, they could make it VERY realistic and fluid

I've watched some vids on youtube of the melee in UC3, and to be honest, it looks ALOT more relaistic and fluid than any of the AC games, and i've never actually played any of the UC series.

and NO 1st person this time!!! :P

SweetsMachineGun
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
In the encyclopedia I saw a concept for a modern hidden blade that was combined with an electrical charge to give opponents a shock. I think a lot of the weapons could be translated in this fashion for Desmond's use.

inf1nity07
12-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I don't think guns will be an issue because Abstergo uses batons...

santeusanioj
12-04-2011, 03:25 AM
If you talk to Rebecca outside the Animus in Brotherhood, Desmond will ask if she's ever used the Animus herself. She tells him that she once relived the memories of a Prussian soldier and, essentially, that she found it boring because it was all guns.

I think this little aside shows pretty clearly where Ubisoft stands on combat, and that they intend to keep it sword-based. Plus, think about it: the one year they have to develop Desmond's big game is simply not enough time to design a whole new fighting mechanic that would be fun, intuitive, and consistent with a believable modern world. The next AC would have to become Metal Gear or Splinter Cell in order to work in this day and age, and at that point, we should probably just play those instead.

Even from a purely aesthetic point of view, I can't imagine a game set entirely, or even mostly, in a modern setting. The elegance and mystique of ancient places would be completely lost on today's gun-metal gray urban expanses. Also, while Ezio slew women with his charm and Templars with an arsenal of decorative armor and weapons, this feeling of absolute badassery would be lost entirely on Desmond's black sweatshirt and Converse sneakers. Would he eventually put metal inlays in his Gap jeans for added protection?

All that being said, I have absolutely no idea what Ubisoft has in mind for AC3. It looks to be Desmond's time to shine, but that doesn't seem like it would leave the gameplay rooted anywhere that AC belongs. I suppose I can only trust the series that has been so good to me year after year. After all, they probably had to start making plans for a 2012 Desmond game the second AC2 was given a green light.

reddragonhrcro
12-04-2011, 05:23 AM
Well as for the combat and game mechanics it would be a great idea to make it like the first version of SC Conviction.When notirious you would be able to put up your hood so that the suspection meter fills up slower than it would without the hood set up,same could be done for when doing illegal activities so that the notirious meter is filled up in smaller amounts.And eventualy te hiding mechanism to hide under stuff and so on(like seen in the trailer of SCC V1).As eventualy AC is a game not based on gunfighting so eventualy the combat needs to be much improved,as for weapons we will have the standard hidden blade,shock blade(as mentioned by someone to stun enemies),stungun(long range stun),poison blade,poison dart,hookblade(eventualy if the mechanic for faster traveling is going to be used in here),knife(eventualy different types of knifes,daggers and combat kinfes),throwing knifes,compact bowgun(eventualy a compact version of a bowgun that can be hidden in Desmonds bag)and possibly a hidden gun(eventualy a modefied model as the classic one is rather antique and requires special supplys)

dxsxhxcx
12-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by santeusanioj:

I think this little aside shows pretty clearly where Ubisoft stands on combat, and that they intend to keep it sword-based. Plus, think about it: the one year they have to develop Desmond's big game is simply not enough time to design a whole new fighting mechanic that would be fun, intuitive, and consistent with a believable modern world. The next AC would have to become Metal Gear or Splinter Cell in order to work in this day and age, and at that point, we should probably just play those instead.

this, an open world game in the modern days wouldn't work for Assassin's Creed, it would be impossible for Desmond to climb buildings, fight guards and kill main targets in the middle of the street like we do with the ancestors, his face would be on TV in no time, he would probably become the most wanted person in that city in 5 minutes, the notoriety system we have now wouldn't work because people would remember him from TV, and while I like Splinter Cell and Metal Gear, I don't want an AC game in a "controlled space" where everyone are enemies and I can do whatever I want without consequences...

without count with the fact that with all the cameras in the street, Abstergo would find Desmond in 5 minutes once they knew he was in a city and sent an army after him...

that's why I was expecting A LOT from Desmond memories in ACR, it would be an opportunity to see how it would be to be an assassin (even not being an "assassin", killing targets, etc) in the middle of the people during the modern days, I wasn't expecting combat or climbing buildings, maybe a few, depending of the situation of course, but just walk around in part of a modern city as Desmond to trigger some cutscenes, know more about his past and SEE everything would be awesome, sadly, Ubisoft doesn't think the way I do... =/