PDA

View Full Version : IL2-46 download from direct2drive does not require the CD/DVD

mortoma
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I am not in violation of forum rules by informing people that the downloaded version of IL-2 1946 does not require any CD/DVD in the drive to play. If you wish to have the game with no need ( legally ) to have a disk in the drive, you might wish to look into purchasing the game from www.direct2drive.com (http://www.direct2drive.com). The game runs fine, is already patched to 4.08m and it includes everything the boxed version has except for the bonus DVD. The bonus DVD does not have anything for the game, like planes or maps anyway. It was only $19.95US, they are giving it away almost.

This is a perfectly legal way to get the game and not have to have a disk in drive. Since I am not talking about illegal files or activites and such, I can post this.

TAW_Oilburner
10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
FYI if you see it the US DVD doesn't require the disk to be in the drive either. I *think* the European one does though..not sure.

Divine-Wind
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Well duh, of course it doesn't require a CD/DVD. If it did it wouldn't make sense to have a download. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

mortoma
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Really? When I first bought the DVD set I tried to get it to run on Win98 but could not get it to run due to the "Starforce" ( I think that's what they called it ) copy protection. This was when everybody was first getting the game and they were all screaming about it. And you did have to have it in the drive, that's what the software was doing, checking for the disk. It also caused a decided loss in performance too for people who were able to get it running. Another problem it was causing was ( for some ) it made it difficult if not impossible to install the game in the first place, since it did not like many recording/burning drives on the market.

So I don't know how you can say our version here in the US doesn't need the disk when it was mostly folks here in the US screaming about it.

mortoma
10-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Well duh, of course it doesn't require a CD/DVD. If it did it wouldn't make sense to have a download. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Doh!! And I have not even had anything to drink tonight either.....Oh well, I guess everyone can have a brain flatulence.

fabianfred
10-15-2007, 06:23 PM
the european version DVD had to be in for copyprevention purposes
the 'no-cd crack' isn't actually a crack.....its just that the US/download and european il2.exe are different

if you had a US friend send you the il2fb.exe from his install to you in europe and you replaced the standard one with that....BINGO

he's not cracking anything...and nor are you

mortoma
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by fabianfred:
the european version DVD had to be in for copyprevention purposes
the 'no-cd crack' isn't actually a crack.....its just that the US/download and european il2.exe are different

if you had a US friend send you the il2fb.exe from his install to you in europe and you replaced the standard one with that....BINGO

he's not cracking anything...and nor are you Well they must have changed things and started making later editions for the US that did not need the disk. But at first you did in fact need the disk. My copy that I bought when it first came out does need the disk. Maybe the first slew of copies that came to the US were euro versions?? Actually mine says it's made in Australia!!! And to this day it need the disk. But it would never run with it either!! My new DL'd version runs fine.

Skycat_2
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
The first versions that came to the US were imported from Europe. GoGamer.com and other vendors facilitated that.

The US didn't get its own 'domestic' release until three months later. Many of us had assumed that UbiSoft was intentionally freezing out the US market as a punishment or something, and thought we had no choice except to buy import copies. Then March or April came around and Bingo! all of a sudden 1946 appeared at Wal-Mart and Circuit City.

I heard rumors that there was a 'No-DVD' hack (yes, hack) available long before the US version was released. I'm sure this was just an unsubstantiated myth based on wishful thinking and elevated gossip though.

BaldieJr
10-15-2007, 10:54 PM
FYI:

i coughed up 20 bones. i'm tinkering with linux (ick gross yuk) and wine. since my dvd has securom i can't install so maybe this will work.

i hate throwing away 20. curiosity is expensive.

BaldieJr
10-16-2007, 02:36 PM
before anyone rushes out to try linux+wine+il246 from direct2drive please take warning:

direct2drive is using key authentication of a type unknown to me. i made progress this morning. still not complete though.

mortoma
10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
The key authentication should not affect anything. Once you've authenticated, it all should be over. Copy should be clean with no burner drive detection software. Should not need it, since a downloadable copy negates CD or DVD drive usage anyway.

mortoma
10-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh and uh Baldie, once you have installed, make a back up on DVD but don't back up the install files you downloaded. Instead back up the extracted files in your 'IL-2 Stumovik 1946' folder to DVD. From then on just install but copying the files over. You will never have to authenticate again that way.

BaldieJr
10-16-2007, 07:39 PM
yeah the problem is getting the key entered. it wants internet explorer to be installed. its pretty damned annoying to get this far and be stopped by something so ridiculous as a browser.