PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy planes in full real servers, your thoughts?

sukebeboy
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
The server I usually play on was down last night, so I jumped into the DarkSkies server. The first map that came up was a mid-war Eastern Front map and was quite enjoyable. I had a blast trundling along in my IL-2 with my trusty wingmen, praying that'd we'd be able to slip in under the FW 190s and do some damage.

The guys I was playing with were also fairly new to the server but we all agreed that it was a good map with a good mix of planes and was fairly balanced.

Shame then that the next map that loaded was a late war western front map. A quick look at the user list showed that nearly everyone on blue grabbed a Do-335. Am I the only one who hates seeing these things?

Personally, I'd prefer never to see any of the fantasy planes on any server, but if they have to have them, then I wish there was a way to implement plane limits, like no more than 5 per map or something.

Cajun76
06-08-2006, 08:35 PM
You mean hordes of Do-335's and 25lbs Spittoons didn't battle for supremacy of the universe 60+ years ago?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

JG53Frankyboy
06-08-2006, 08:45 PM
imagine Jet servers after VVS'46 release http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hashmark13
06-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey, I am with the OAC, which owns and runs the DarkSkies server..

I understand that most people play this game because of the "realism aspect"..
We run our server with planes sets that are at least attempting to be fun and unique, which compromises realism as far as what planes were used.

And one thing, about the performance and fairness of the Do-335, it performs about like the P-38L in speed, whilst turning is far less in comparison. So, all those people on blue choosing the Do-335 could easily have been taken by the opposing team's P-38L's and Spit25's.

I know that wasn't one of your gripes, but I just think it's funny everyone chose the Dornier, while there were much better planes to choose from.

Von_Rat
06-09-2006, 12:31 AM
i like to fly so called "fantasy planes" once in awhile, though i perfer the term "what if" planes.

but some people i guess feel that since its not their particular cup of tea, they'd perfer that no servers to allow them.

sounds rather self centered to me.

sukebeboy
06-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Von_Rat:
i like to fly so called "fantasy planes" once in awhile, though i perfer the term "what if" planes.

but some people i guess feel that since its not their particular cup of tea, they'd perfer that no servers to allow them.

Ouch! Valid criticism though. I guess my "beef", if that's what you want to call it, is with the limitations of the online servers. I'd like to see some sort of rarity system with certain types of planes limited, just so it's not always the same force mix of Spits, 190s, 109s Do-335s, P-47s and a sprinkling of P-38s, Tempests, and Ju-88s. Know what I mean? Perhaps a rak or vote based system. Who knows?

rnzoli
06-09-2006, 01:41 AM
I think there are already DF controller scripts available, which can limit the number of certain plan types in the mission, so what you ask for can be done by the server admins.

You are certainly not alone in hating those things, but since they are modelled in the game, it would be a waste to not to try them.
They do provide a new challange, and bring some refreshment to the boring matchups. I often wonder whether the "hate" towards those planes originate from the "hate" towards changing a successful fighting style.

IMO "full real" means the full difficulty settings, not necessarily meaning fully historic planesets, these are 2 different things.

Von_Rat
06-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by sukebeboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:

Ouch! Valid criticism though. I guess my "beef", if that's what you want to call it, is with the limitations of the online servers. I'd like to see some sort of rarity system with certain types of planes limited, just so it's not always the same force mix of Spits, 190s, 109s Do-335s, P-47s and a sprinkling of P-38s, Tempests, and Ju-88s. Know what I mean? Perhaps a rak or vote based system. Who knows? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a rareity system would be one way.

or just a occasional map with them allowed. if your going what if, you might as well allow as many as people want to fly them, since its not historical anyway.

Badsight.
06-09-2006, 01:53 AM
whoever says :

the Do-335 isnt fun is a liar

same with the Bf-Z - you cannot help but have fun flying those planes

FluffyDucks
06-09-2006, 02:31 AM
The anteater was NOT a fantasy plane, it was OPERATIONAL in the late war months.

Xiolablu3
06-09-2006, 04:10 AM
I like having hte odd different plane thrown in.

On the Ukded2 server I play on, they often throw in a 'different' plane like the Me262 or I185 as a bonus plane if your team wins the previous map.

A great idea I think and it adds variety and something to aim for by winning the map.

I remember one map (I don think its used anymore) If reds won the previous map then they captured a Focke Wulf factory and had FW190D's for the red side http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Great fun.

It adds variety to the maps to have 'bonus' planes.

Hashmark13
06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Xiolablu3, I don't even know if that's possible in a dogfight server, and even if it was, you'd need Icons on to not shoot the idiot in a german plane on your (red) team.

Anyway, I love to hear so many people like the new matchups. Flying the 109 sucks.

rnzoli
06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
yes, it's possible, and the correct national markings on the plane also helps, not just the icons

Xiolablu3
06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Hashmark13:
Xiolablu3, I don't even know if that's possible in a dogfight server, and even if it was, you'd need Icons on to not shoot the idiot in a german plane on your (red) team.

Anyway, I love to hear so many people like the new matchups. Flying the 109 sucks.

USSR markings?

I think the server had friendly icons so that you knew it was enemy.

Platypus_1.JaVA
06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I wish the Me-262 was more available on servers. It did see quite some action in the war. This aircraft is superior and did not have a real dangerous opponent in the skies. This makes us believe that it is actually indestructable. Wich is not the case. You have to be real carefull, flying with the me-262. Be gentle with the engines, aiming needs to be spot-on and speed is life above all. Below 450 or 500 km/h, it is helpless. That's why I think it is a realistic aircraft, at least in online servers. It is the perfect aircraft for my kind of flying anyways. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But then again, having some fun with biplanes once in a while is also very good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Viper2005_
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I think that balance is more important than historical accuracy in dogfight servers.

Brain32
06-09-2006, 05:58 PM
I remember one map (I don think its used anymore) If reds won the previous map then they captured a Focke Wulf factory and had FW190D's for the red side
To tell you the truth I would rather see them flying P80 as a reward, mixing planes is one thing I really don't like, but I see how watching an average Spit pilot trying to fly a Dora can be fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I think that balance is more important than historical accuracy in dogfight servers.
Agree 100%

ImpStarDuece
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by FluffyDucks:
The anteater was NOT a fantasy plane, it was OPERATIONAL in the late war months.

Ya, but so were the He-162, Me-262, Me-163, Spitfire Mk 21, P-47M, P-47N, and F4U-4 but we don't have much chance of seeing them on 'realistic' servers either, the Aixs birds because of percieved play imbalance and the Allied birds because they simply aren't in the game.

Hell, the deHavilland Hornet F.1 was produced and flown in similar numbers in a roughly similar time period to the Do-335. Two of the first 5 production machines were delivered to Boscombe Down for trials in February 1945. If the RAF had been as desperate as the LuftWaffe, you can bet they would of seen service. However, put it in a Westfront 1945 scenario and the label 'fantasy' is going to be very quickly applied t

Xiolablu3
06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Brain32:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I remember one map (I don think its used anymore) If reds won the previous map then they captured a Focke Wulf factory and had FW190D's for the red side
To tell you the truth I would rather see them flying P80 as a reward, mixing planes is one thing I really don't like, but I see how watching an average Spit pilot trying to fly a Dora can be fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Agree 100% </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 200%, although its nice to have both as far as will allow.

But a map is useless if eveyone wants to fly one side because it has the best planes.

I think this is most evident in early war East front maps. Yak1,Lagg3 series, IL2 vs 109E or even 109F2/F4. Very hard for red sometimes. They cannot rely on dogfighting, they must go straight for the ground targets.

Jumoschlong
06-10-2006, 01:44 PM
My thought is you should start your own server and incorprate all of your aynal fantasies into it's settings and planeset, then you can join it and have fun playing with yourself...

Jumo*******

skycaptain_1
06-10-2006, 02:06 PM
quote:

"My thought is you should start your own server and incorprate all of your aynal fantasies into it's settings and planeset, then you can join it and have fun playing with yourself...

Jumo*******"

Lol thats funny http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Actually I understand your point sukebeboy.But firstly Hashmark13 mentioned that his server was not totally about realism, it was also about enjoyment and for Darkskies that means trying plane sets that have 'fantasy' planes...I don't see what the problem is if its a balanced plane set??!! This game has a broad fan base and the plane sets on servers show that.