PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the install, joystick, or pilot?

greycloak48015
10-31-2005, 06:30 AM
I've been spending more time learning how to fly in PF+AEP+IL2 and lately I have noticed the following problem.
I have been trying to go through the basic maneuvers for the IL2 demonstrated in the IL2 Intro Track. When I try to do a loop, I get the speed up to about 400-420 km/h before starting and then gently pull back on the stick. When the stick gets to full deflection the plane starts to shake like it is about to stall even though my speed is around 320 km/h. If I keep the stick at full deflection the plane does stall and if I let up on the stick a little my speed bleeds off so fast that I'm down to less than 200 km/h before I'm at the top of the loop!
I used to be able to do this maneuver before without a problem so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
I have completely un-installed and re-installed the game following LEBillfish's instructions. I have set all of my axis to 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100.
This is starting to get a little frustrating since everytime I do a loop I end up in a stall. I should also mention that I have the same problem when flying the P-38 as well (those are the two planes I have been flying lately, haven't tried it with others).
Another problem I have with the P-38 is if I start off at 1000 ft and go into a 10-15% (below the horizon) dive and I try to level off around 400 ft the elevator doesn't seem to respond and I end up as a crater. My speed is around 500 km/h and I haven't tried the airbrake so I have chalked that up to pilot error but I thought I would throw that out there in case it isn't.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

greycloak48015
10-31-2005, 06:30 AM
I've been spending more time learning how to fly in PF+AEP+IL2 and lately I have noticed the following problem.
I have been trying to go through the basic maneuvers for the IL2 demonstrated in the IL2 Intro Track. When I try to do a loop, I get the speed up to about 400-420 km/h before starting and then gently pull back on the stick. When the stick gets to full deflection the plane starts to shake like it is about to stall even though my speed is around 320 km/h. If I keep the stick at full deflection the plane does stall and if I let up on the stick a little my speed bleeds off so fast that I'm down to less than 200 km/h before I'm at the top of the loop!
I used to be able to do this maneuver before without a problem so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
I have completely un-installed and re-installed the game following LEBillfish's instructions. I have set all of my axis to 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100.
This is starting to get a little frustrating since everytime I do a loop I end up in a stall. I should also mention that I have the same problem when flying the P-38 as well (those are the two planes I have been flying lately, haven't tried it with others).
Another problem I have with the P-38 is if I start off at 1000 ft and go into a 10-15% (below the horizon) dive and I try to level off around 400 ft the elevator doesn't seem to respond and I end up as a crater. My speed is around 500 km/h and I haven't tried the airbrake so I have chalked that up to pilot error but I thought I would throw that out there in case it isn't.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Iron_Hand1
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Have you added any filtering to your settings yet? we had these problems when 4.01 came out, and it turned out to be too much stick sensitivity.
4.02 came out and it restarted again, reloaded 4.02 and added filtering and it went away again.
Mainly in Corsair on our end.

S~

Tully__
11-01-2005, 12:33 AM
The IL2 is more difficult to loop than in the past, but not impossible. It should stall if you apply full stick deflection, stall is not a function of speed. A stall occurs when the angle of attack of the wing exceeds the angle at which it will continue flying. Stall speed is simply the speed at which this occurs as you slow down while trying to maintain level flight at constant altitude. As speed decreases you need to increase angle of attack to maintain lift. At the point where required angle of attack reaches critical angle, you've found stall speed.

The P-38 should loop fine provided you don't yank it too much in at the start of the loop. If you do pull too hard at the start you'll wash off speed really quickly.

The last thing looks like pilot error as I have no problem pulling up in the P-38 at that speed, even in the J model.

greycloak48015
11-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't added filtering but based on the responses it just sounds like I'm using a honey baked ham to control the stick. I will have to get used to the sensitivity.

Tully, do you deploy the airbrake to get the elevator to respond or can you level off without it? I will try again tonight with and without and see what my results are.

Secondly, as it must be apparent from the nature of my questions that I am a beginning novice, does anyone have any links to missions/tracks that I could use to start learning how to fly in IL2? Or any thing at all that is kind of a step-by-step process to learning how to fly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

AVGWarhawk
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Sounds to me like the P-38 is compressing on you in a dive. It long haunted the P-38 until they installed dive brakes. Use those and she will pull out of a dive for you. Also help you turn tighter. I have my joy stick set up like this:

40 40 40 40 40 46 50 55 60 65 70.
The critcal part are the 40 setting on the first 5 slots in pitch, yaw and roll. The rest are whatevery feels right.

Tully__
11-02-2005, 12:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tully, do you deploy the airbrake to get the elevator to respond or can you level off without it? I will try again tonight with and without and see what my results are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No airbrake in the J model, didn't use trim either. Just a gentle pull on the stick until it pulled out.