PDA

View Full Version : the first patrol of U3

demigod151
11-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Erich Berghardt was not the smallest man in the Kriegsmarine, nor was he your typical U-Boat Commander. He had a conscience, and he had integrity that was second to none. He didn???t like why the War started, he didn???t like how it started, and he didn???t like who started it.

Erich was a tall man, with wavy/curlyish hair, he had blue eyes like the sea and was quite a nice looking man. His face had yet to be battered by the sprays and remorseless onslaughts of the sea. Currently he sat across the table from his girlfriend Val Krupa. Erich was now 25, and had been introduced to Val by his sister, she convinced Val to go out with Erich and thus and unlikely romance was born, one that was sure to last.

1939 ??? Erich and Val sat alone together at the table; it was the night before Erich went out on patrol for the very first time in U3 a Type IIA U-Boat. It was also his first command. Erich had done extraordinarily well in training before the war started; he scored well and already had some renown in the Flotilla. Val was a nurse she should have been working tonight, but she was able to get the night off before Erich went out to sea. Things were tense between them.

???Alright Val, what is it? You have had a face like a storm all night, what is the problem???? Erich asked finally forgetting he was a proper a gentleman.

She looked at him puzzled almost amused even.

???How can you ask me that? You are sailing out tomorrow morning early, in that U-Boat, heading who knows where in the North Sea, and you are wondering what the problem is?!??? She breathed heavy. ???Erich, the truth is, I don???t like this Erich, you know that the U-Boat is probably the most dangerous boat to serve on, and after the first war, Britain and her allies will be prepared for the threats!???

Erich smiled slightly,

???You worry too much he said.??? With a slight false grin on his face, albeit a very convincing one. In the back of his mind, Erich knew, he knew what she was saying was right. The British were no slouches when it came to the seas, Germany was in for a fight.

???I worry too much???? She repeated, ???Well you will have to forgive me for caring.???

She got up and left the table walking off in a huff somewhat, Val was 3 or 4 years younger than Erich and she could be very emotional. He got up and went after her. Val was outside having a cigarette, no doubt feeling a little stressed by the whole affair. Erich caught a smell and immediately wanted one too, he had been trying to stop before he went out on patrol tomorrow so he had to stay strong this time and to his credit, he did.

???Val, I want you to listen to me, I know I will be fine, this patrol will be ok. I may even sink some enemy ships too, I need for you to believe in me, if I know that, then nothing will stop me getting home to you when I have completed my orders.??? He said softly and caringly.

???How can you know that though Erich, I???m frightened, its just??? My Grandfather on my mothers side was in the Great War on a U-Boat, and it was sunk and he was lost.??? She said with tears forming in her eyes, ignoring it she took another drag from her cigarette and blew the smoke downwards in an arc as her head sunk.

Erich put his arms round her.

???Trust me, I will come home to you Val.??? He said firmly and with plenty of assurance.

???How can you know, how can any of us know for sure whats going to happen?????? Val said sadly.

She threw her cigarette away after taking one final drag and walked off. Erich???s mind chased back about 9 years when he was a teenager, he remembered the old woman and the lake and what happened to her, he was out, he was going fishing, he was trying to catch some fish because of the depression with the Wall St Crash, and his mother and father had no food, it was his way of trying to help. It was a lovely day, the air was fresh, the wind was just right and the sun was overhead. The lake glistened in the sunshine. Erich cast out his rod and leaned back, thinking about how it had come to this. He relaxed and was being lulled to sleep almost by the sound of the birds singing overhead.

Something interrupted his lull though, sounds of fierce splashing, THE ROD!! For a moment he thought it was a fish, no, it was something much much worse. A sight that chilled him. There was a woman, must have been similar age to his grandmother in the lake splashing and squirming. What???s going on!? He thought, he called to her, she was squirming and wriggling and shouting. Then she stopped struggling, and began to slip under. Erich gazed in horror at the sight he saw. It all came down to this for the big young man, did he risk it and maybe botch it up, or do nothing? His warrior spirit took hold of him and Erich charged round the lake nearer to where she was, and then he surged in without question.

Erich swam out and took hold of the now motionless woman and then dragged her behind him to the shore by her shirt collar. Erich was not trained to life save, he was frightened and making it up as he went. He pulled her out and looked at her, he was confused, frightened and at the same time exhilarated he had got this woman to safety, he shook her slightly to wake her up she looked up at him, and then looked at the lake where she had fell in off the small pier. She then looked back at Erich and told him ???You didn???t let me die in the water, so neither will you young man??? neither will you???

Erich stared at Val as she walked off the words ???neither will you??? were ringing in his head and gut feeling that somehow, he knew the old woman was right. After that day he never saw her again, never heard of her again, but since then, any fear he had of water was long since gone, it made him sure of himself.

Erich went to Val???s apartment nearby, she opened the door before she could say anything Erich charged in, and covered her mouth with his hand.

???I love you Val, and I will return to you, I promise you, and give you my word.???

Erich then shut the door as they both kissed each other.

U3 getting ready for its first patrol in base configuration.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/SH3/U3a.jpg

U3 stood in the dock, ready to leave. All crew were aboard making final preparations for departure. Erich Berghardt stood on the conning tower surveying before him the open sea, then he ordered all hands on deck for something he was going to shoot from the hip, ???the speech???

Before long all hands were lining the deck behind the conning tower, Erich stood upon the conning tower looking at them. They waited for him to talk. He took a second to compose himself.

???Right, I???m going to make this as brief and informative as I can.??? He said sternly. ???this is the one and only speech I am expecting to give the rest is all up to you. We set out of here today, we are at war, I expect every man to do his best, and to keep his mind on the job. We are all in this together, so I don???t need for anybody to be thinking about girlfriends or family or friends or anybody else. We keep our minds on the job at hand, sinking enemy ships where we find them. We work well together we will be fine we??????

Erich paused, seeing one of the crew laughing it seemed.

???Is something amusing you sailor???? He asked directly. The sailor kept quiet, Erich became more aggressive in his tone. ???Let me just explain this in terms you can all understand, this is not an exercise or a practice run before the real thing, this is it, war! Our lives are all riding on this, one of you makes a mistake because you are too busy thinking about home, could be the difference between life and death, if any one man botches up, if we fail, we are fish food!???

The men stared all youthful exuberance beat out of them by that remark, Erich wanted to break them before he set out, not really standard practice, but he needed for them to take it all serious.

???That is the end of speech, all men to departure stations!???

The crew was alive with activity for a moment, as the boat engaged slow ahead and U3 began to move out of the dock, Berghardt stood on the bridge staring at the crowd as they began sailing by, despite what he said, he was thinking about Val and how he was leaving her behind so upset, the crowds were not gathering to give U3 a send off. Erich happened to glance to the side, and noticed a few nurses in uniform there, he snatched up the binoculars that were hanging around his neck.

There she was, with her friends from the hospital stood right at the front, Val, Erich waved to her after spotting her and she waved back. As Val watched U1 move past she quietly stared up at the sky and said ???I love you Erich??? U3 headed out to sea. On her first patrol under Erich Berghardt and a very green crew.

Report:

From ??? Erich Berghardt
To ??? Naval Operations Office: Wilhelmshaven
U-Boat ??? U3 type IIA

Patrol Start Date ??? 9/1/1939
Patrol End Date ??? 9/9/1939

Completed patrol with no enemy engagement at all. Sighted squadron of enemy planes on 9/5/1939, dived to 30 meters to escape, remained submerged for 4 hours, surfacing when dark. U-Boat functioned without serious error. Crew performed well. Weather on voyage was dreadful, high winds and raging seas forced us to submerge periodically in order to enable watch rests. Chief reports strange whining sound from port side Diesel when run at low revs, unable to find fault, recommend examination by mechanics prior to next patrol.

Recommendation for Patrol 2, area nearer to British coastline, intercept shipping prior to docking. Also request fitting of Flak cannon to U-Boat for protection when attacked in shallow waters.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/SH3/Pat1.jpg

End of report.

(apologies for the lack of pictures, I will do better in my next report. Hope this is ok for a first effort.)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

demigod151
11-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Erich Berghardt was not the smallest man in the Kriegsmarine, nor was he your typical U-Boat Commander. He had a conscience, and he had integrity that was second to none. He didn???t like why the War started, he didn???t like how it started, and he didn???t like who started it.

Erich was a tall man, with wavy/curlyish hair, he had blue eyes like the sea and was quite a nice looking man. His face had yet to be battered by the sprays and remorseless onslaughts of the sea. Currently he sat across the table from his girlfriend Val Krupa. Erich was now 25, and had been introduced to Val by his sister, she convinced Val to go out with Erich and thus and unlikely romance was born, one that was sure to last.

1939 ??? Erich and Val sat alone together at the table; it was the night before Erich went out on patrol for the very first time in U3 a Type IIA U-Boat. It was also his first command. Erich had done extraordinarily well in training before the war started; he scored well and already had some renown in the Flotilla. Val was a nurse she should have been working tonight, but she was able to get the night off before Erich went out to sea. Things were tense between them.

???Alright Val, what is it? You have had a face like a storm all night, what is the problem???? Erich asked finally forgetting he was a proper a gentleman.

She looked at him puzzled almost amused even.

???How can you ask me that? You are sailing out tomorrow morning early, in that U-Boat, heading who knows where in the North Sea, and you are wondering what the problem is?!??? She breathed heavy. ???Erich, the truth is, I don???t like this Erich, you know that the U-Boat is probably the most dangerous boat to serve on, and after the first war, Britain and her allies will be prepared for the threats!???

Erich smiled slightly,

???You worry too much he said.??? With a slight false grin on his face, albeit a very convincing one. In the back of his mind, Erich knew, he knew what she was saying was right. The British were no slouches when it came to the seas, Germany was in for a fight.

???I worry too much???? She repeated, ???Well you will have to forgive me for caring.???

She got up and left the table walking off in a huff somewhat, Val was 3 or 4 years younger than Erich and she could be very emotional. He got up and went after her. Val was outside having a cigarette, no doubt feeling a little stressed by the whole affair. Erich caught a smell and immediately wanted one too, he had been trying to stop before he went out on patrol tomorrow so he had to stay strong this time and to his credit, he did.

???Val, I want you to listen to me, I know I will be fine, this patrol will be ok. I may even sink some enemy ships too, I need for you to believe in me, if I know that, then nothing will stop me getting home to you when I have completed my orders.??? He said softly and caringly.

???How can you know that though Erich, I???m frightened, its just??? My Grandfather on my mothers side was in the Great War on a U-Boat, and it was sunk and he was lost.??? She said with tears forming in her eyes, ignoring it she took another drag from her cigarette and blew the smoke downwards in an arc as her head sunk.

Erich put his arms round her.

???Trust me, I will come home to you Val.??? He said firmly and with plenty of assurance.

???How can you know, how can any of us know for sure whats going to happen?????? Val said sadly.

She threw her cigarette away after taking one final drag and walked off. Erich???s mind chased back about 9 years when he was a teenager, he remembered the old woman and the lake and what happened to her, he was out, he was going fishing, he was trying to catch some fish because of the depression with the Wall St Crash, and his mother and father had no food, it was his way of trying to help. It was a lovely day, the air was fresh, the wind was just right and the sun was overhead. The lake glistened in the sunshine. Erich cast out his rod and leaned back, thinking about how it had come to this. He relaxed and was being lulled to sleep almost by the sound of the birds singing overhead.

Something interrupted his lull though, sounds of fierce splashing, THE ROD!! For a moment he thought it was a fish, no, it was something much much worse. A sight that chilled him. There was a woman, must have been similar age to his grandmother in the lake splashing and squirming. What???s going on!? He thought, he called to her, she was squirming and wriggling and shouting. Then she stopped struggling, and began to slip under. Erich gazed in horror at the sight he saw. It all came down to this for the big young man, did he risk it and maybe botch it up, or do nothing? His warrior spirit took hold of him and Erich charged round the lake nearer to where she was, and then he surged in without question.

Erich swam out and took hold of the now motionless woman and then dragged her behind him to the shore by her shirt collar. Erich was not trained to life save, he was frightened and making it up as he went. He pulled her out and looked at her, he was confused, frightened and at the same time exhilarated he had got this woman to safety, he shook her slightly to wake her up she looked up at him, and then looked at the lake where she had fell in off the small pier. She then looked back at Erich and told him ???You didn???t let me die in the water, so neither will you young man??? neither will you???

Erich stared at Val as she walked off the words ???neither will you??? were ringing in his head and gut feeling that somehow, he knew the old woman was right. After that day he never saw her again, never heard of her again, but since then, any fear he had of water was long since gone, it made him sure of himself.

Erich went to Val???s apartment nearby, she opened the door before she could say anything Erich charged in, and covered her mouth with his hand.

???I love you Val, and I will return to you, I promise you, and give you my word.???

Erich then shut the door as they both kissed each other.

U3 getting ready for its first patrol in base configuration.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/SH3/U3a.jpg

U3 stood in the dock, ready to leave. All crew were aboard making final preparations for departure. Erich Berghardt stood on the conning tower surveying before him the open sea, then he ordered all hands on deck for something he was going to shoot from the hip, ???the speech???

Before long all hands were lining the deck behind the conning tower, Erich stood upon the conning tower looking at them. They waited for him to talk. He took a second to compose himself.

???Right, I???m going to make this as brief and informative as I can.??? He said sternly. ???this is the one and only speech I am expecting to give the rest is all up to you. We set out of here today, we are at war, I expect every man to do his best, and to keep his mind on the job. We are all in this together, so I don???t need for anybody to be thinking about girlfriends or family or friends or anybody else. We keep our minds on the job at hand, sinking enemy ships where we find them. We work well together we will be fine we??????

Erich paused, seeing one of the crew laughing it seemed.

???Is something amusing you sailor???? He asked directly. The sailor kept quiet, Erich became more aggressive in his tone. ???Let me just explain this in terms you can all understand, this is not an exercise or a practice run before the real thing, this is it, war! Our lives are all riding on this, one of you makes a mistake because you are too busy thinking about home, could be the difference between life and death, if any one man botches up, if we fail, we are fish food!???

The men stared all youthful exuberance beat out of them by that remark, Erich wanted to break them before he set out, not really standard practice, but he needed for them to take it all serious.

???That is the end of speech, all men to departure stations!???

The crew was alive with activity for a moment, as the boat engaged slow ahead and U3 began to move out of the dock, Berghardt stood on the bridge staring at the crowd as they began sailing by, despite what he said, he was thinking about Val and how he was leaving her behind so upset, the crowds were not gathering to give U3 a send off. Erich happened to glance to the side, and noticed a few nurses in uniform there, he snatched up the binoculars that were hanging around his neck.

There she was, with her friends from the hospital stood right at the front, Val, Erich waved to her after spotting her and she waved back. As Val watched U1 move past she quietly stared up at the sky and said ???I love you Erich??? U3 headed out to sea. On her first patrol under Erich Berghardt and a very green crew.

Report:

From ??? Erich Berghardt
To ??? Naval Operations Office: Wilhelmshaven
U-Boat ??? U3 type IIA

Patrol Start Date ??? 9/1/1939
Patrol End Date ??? 9/9/1939

Completed patrol with no enemy engagement at all. Sighted squadron of enemy planes on 9/5/1939, dived to 30 meters to escape, remained submerged for 4 hours, surfacing when dark. U-Boat functioned without serious error. Crew performed well. Weather on voyage was dreadful, high winds and raging seas forced us to submerge periodically in order to enable watch rests. Chief reports strange whining sound from port side Diesel when run at low revs, unable to find fault, recommend examination by mechanics prior to next patrol.

Recommendation for Patrol 2, area nearer to British coastline, intercept shipping prior to docking. Also request fitting of Flak cannon to U-Boat for protection when attacked in shallow waters.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/SH3/Pat1.jpg

End of report.

(apologies for the lack of pictures, I will do better in my next report. Hope this is ok for a first effort.)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Bootsmann0815
11-12-2006, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by demigod151:

Recommendation for Patrol 2, area nearer to British coastline, intercept shipping prior to docking.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't leave it too late; allow at least 20km distance from port or you might end up like in Michiel-88's recent thread, seeing the approaching target disappear in front of his eyes. Ships that you encounter at sea going from point to point (which includes almost all merchants) rather than in a search pattern are getting deleted on last waypoint, which is usually a few kilometers outside the destination port. You cannot see ships coming from the open sea actually docking. Those that do are part of the harbour traffic which the supermods have. Repeat: it's pointless to try and follow a ship into a port, it will get deleted (either disappear or run aground) right under your nose.

By the way, very entertaining patrol report, despite the lack of sinkings. That's an achievement in itself - perhaps considfer entering the short story competition? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Use the vertical!

demigod151
11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Im just about ready to start out on my last Patrol in my trusty U