PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the plane steady. Trim?

WizardKing78
03-31-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm relatively new to the game. One of the biggest problems I encounter is trying to keep the plane steady.

Regardless of which plane I fly, it always seems to pull slightly to the left; this is despite maximum rudder and aileron trims to the right (Ctrl+X & Ctrl+RIGHT ARROW). This makes it extremely difficult to hold the plane steady, particularly when approaching for an attack.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Incidentally, I'm using a basic set-up; keyboard + joystick. The joystick has a throttle slider and rudder axis.

... And no, I'm not going to spend any money on more gizmos. At least not yet.

AnaK774
03-31-2008, 05:00 AM
What planetype?

Not all have adjustable trims for all controls,

4 example 109's have only elevator trim, wich means that you have to step on ball on most speeds to keep plane flying "on trim"

SeaFireLIV
03-31-2008, 05:10 AM
Yep,and planes like the I16 don`t have any rudder trim. Needs constant handling. But I love the realism.

M_Gunz
03-31-2008, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by WizardKing78:
I'm relatively new to the game. One of the biggest problems I encounter is trying to keep the plane steady.

Regardless of which plane I fly, it always seems to pull slightly to the left; this is despite maximum rudder and aileron trims to the right (Ctrl+X & Ctrl+RIGHT ARROW). This makes it extremely difficult to hold the plane steady, particularly when approaching for an attack.

Incidentally, I'm using a basic set-up; keyboard + joystick. The joystick has a throttle slider and rudder axis.

You shouldn't need to do that. What plane is very important and what speeds too, slow and
nose high is going to add some effects like p-factor that add yaw.

You need to fly it without trim and get level with the ball centered manually, say from a
QMB airstart with no enemies so you have time to do that. Start high enough to dive a bit
as the start speed will be low. Usually I only need some rudder. Center the ball and see
how she flies then, that should tell you trim for your speed -- which will change with speed.

funkster319
03-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Firstly use something like "IL2 Wingman" (Mission4today.com will have it, i think). This little program lets you find all the details for any IL2 plane and what trims are present)

Secondly I presume you know that trim is progressively applied ie. The longer you hold the button the more trim etc.

Thirdly "Trimming" needs to be applied constantly as "trim" is only fixed at the speed at which it is set. So it's useful for long steady level flight ie. climbs to mission height etc. However if your in combat "trimming" takes on a whole new role. For tips on applying combat trim see Klingmeister vids again. Don't get me wrong it's all the same thing but it's application differs somewhat IMO.

Finally, I'm not sure what stick you have but I would suggest configuring the HAT or a some sort of button configuration on your stick to adjust Elevator/ Rudder Trim. Much easier than having to find keys constantly.

Hope it helps

M_Gunz
03-31-2008, 06:11 AM
He might want to check calibration too, I shoulda thunka that earlier!
My ex-stick, a POS-Logitech gave me the same kinds of problems before I trashed the bastage.

midgie
03-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Firstly use something like "IL2 Wingman" (Mission4today.com will have it, i think). This little program lets you find all the details for any IL2 plane and what trims are present)

IL2 Wingman doesn't have trim details.

A quick rule of thumb is:

USA planes have all three trims.
British + Russian have elevator and rudder
German have just elevator

or for a more complete list check this post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4961081824?r=4131082824#4131082824)

Monterey13
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
When you calibrate your stick, make sure it snaps back to center when you let go of it. The red and green squares should be on top of each other. If not, you may have to adjust the deadzone settings in game to make up for it.

WizardKing78
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
My joystick is calibrated just fine. When I snap the joystick back, the red square can't be seen. It appears to be working fine.

Earlier today I flew a spitfire for the first time and I was able to trim it so that it flew in a straight line. Why can't I do the same with a 109? Sure, it only has elevator trim, but there must be something I can do to stop it pulling to the left constantly?

FoolTrottel
03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Why can't I do the same with a 109? Sure, it only has elevator trim, but there must be something I can do to stop it pulling to the left constantly?
Add in some rudder ... or find the sweet spot in speed (70% throttle or so?) where it is trimmed to neutral, rudder wise...

buzzsaw1939
03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WizardKing78:

You shouldn't need to do that. What plane is very important and what speeds too, slow and
nose high is going to add some effects like p-factor that add yaw.

You need to fly it without trim and get level with the ball centered manually, say from a
QMB airstart with no enemies so you have time to do that. Start high enough to dive a bit
as the start speed will be low. Usually I only need some rudder. Center the ball and see
how she flies then, that should tell you trim for your speed -- which will change with speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice... combat is not a good place to figure out how to fly!

LEXX_Luthor
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
FoolTrottel::
Add in some rudder ... or find the sweet spot in speed (70% throttle or so?) where it is trimmed to neutral, rudder wise...
Yeps. Cruise speed. When I played the sim, I liked the I-16, so I practiced flying in cruise mode and maintained airspeed that allowed almost complete hands off flying -- climb too, not just level flight. Since most of the time is spent in cruise and not TEH DOGFIGHT, flying at the designed trim speed helps alot.

M_Gunz
03-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by WizardKing78:
My joystick is calibrated just fine. When I snap the joystick back, the red square can't be seen. It appears to be working fine.

Earlier today I flew a spitfire for the first time and I was able to trim it so that it flew in a straight line. Why can't I do the same with a 109? Sure, it only has elevator trim, but there must be something I can do to stop it pulling to the left constantly?

Yeah, step on right rudder. I'm not making up that Galland and the 190 fliers joked that Erich
Hartmann walked in circles. It's because his one leg was stronger from holding rudder at speed.

WizardKing78
04-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Since starting this thread I've been experimenting with the Yak-9 and it's absolutely true that the plane can be held steady - hands off - at slower speeds. I'm not sure what speed you would term 'cruise speed' but I found that at 50% throttle, and with a little rudder+aileron trim, the plane flew in a straight line. Only occasionally did I have to touch the stick to make adjustments.

M_Gunz
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Below the design speed the plane will pull one way and above it pulls the opposite.
Also at 50% power you want to run reduced rpms, try 50-60%.