PDA

View Full Version : Online Server for Noobs

oldtimer1946
06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Can anyone suggest a server for a noob, and not very good pilot, to get experience of online flying. I'm enthusiastic but a bit slow and don't want to embarass myself or irritate others too much while i am learning. I am an oldtimer and I have only just discovered computer gaming - all this is very new and a bit daunting!

Oldtimer

dbillo
06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
UKdedicated 1 has Icons on, NO cockpit,Externals enabled, padlock on - All else realistic.

UKded2 has Friendly Icons only, Cockpit always on, Externals enabled, padlock on. - All else realistic

Those two have scripted missions where there is some kind of objective to be completed.

334th server is also a good learning server if you are just beginning, however, I think it is more pure dogfight, without map objectives.

Depending on your location (time zone), I'd like to invite you to fly with our squadron whenever you can. We have our own private dedicated server, and we also fly coops. Our missions are quite simple, objective base, teamwork sort of thing. I'll PM you with the info.

DmdSeeker
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
There's no such thing!

Servers tend to be graded as "hard" or "easy" according to the difficulty settings they impose - but both types have their experts and beginners.

You could try an "easy" server and be flattend by the local "experts" quicker than flying on a "hard" server.

It's a better approach to first decide the difficulty options YOU like; and just fly.

However good you get, you're still going to die, and however much you suck, if you get onto the server's Team speak (most good servers also run a team speak server) and play towards the side's goals you'll be welcomed.

oldtimer1946
06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys.

I don't mind being shot down and all, i just don't want to irritate others with my noobness(!). Put it down to courtesy or whatever - this is all new to me but i want to learn without irritating others.

oldtimer

SithSpeeder
06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
There's no such thing!

Servers tend to be graded as "hard" or "easy" according to the difficulty settings they impose - but both types have their experts and beginners.

You could try an "easy" server and be flattend by the local "experts" quicker than flying on a "hard" server.

It's a better approach to first decide the difficulty options YOU like; and just fly.

However good you get, you're still going to die, and however much you suck, if you get onto the server's Team speak (most good servers also run a team speak server) and play towards the side's goals you'll be welcomed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif (exactly what he said)

i want to learn without irritating others. Communications software (typically a program called Teamspeak) is indispensable with learning the ins-and-outs quickly. Find a server with an active Teamspeak and feel free to ask questions. You will need at the minimum a microphone as well as speakers, but preferred setup is a headset with a microphone.

Also, upon joining an online server, most good ones clearly lay out the server rules (e.g. no vulching, or no shoulder shooting, or no teamkills, etc.).

You are going to encounter very helpful, patient folks. You are going to encounter people calling you noob in a deragatory way (don't take it personally). Befriend the mature ones http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif and you'll have a blast at this.

And welcome aboard!

* _54th_Speeder *

rnzoli
06-13-2007, 12:20 PM
If you have some experience with offline missions, I would also recommend any of the cooperative servers. Out of peak times, you can fly relaxed, at your pace, with 1-3 other players (+AI of course). You can also learn by re-playing missions if needed and trying different tactics or different planes for the same scenario.

The co-operative nature of the misisons usually also means that the players are co-operative as well.

Whirlin_merlin
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Oldtimer, I would say it's about who you fly with not where you fly.

Install teamspeak and come into one of our severs (Ukdedicated 1,2 or 3) depending on which set of 'options' you prefer. Normally there will be plenty of 'old timers' around who will take you under their wing.

When I started the online thing I found TS really helped. As did Xiola who helped initiate me into the world of the B and Z (if only I remembered his advice more often).

Seriously on our servers we avoid the noob word (excpt in self mocking) and I for one ([BFs]Whirlin normally on UKdedi 2) would enjoy flying a few sorties with you. Not that I'm that good mind.

Old_Canuck
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:

Install teamspeak and come into one of our severs (Ukdedicated 1,2 or 3) depending on which set of 'options' you prefer. Normally there will be plenty of 'old timers' around who will take you under their wing.

When I started the online thing I found TS really helped. As did Xiola who helped initiate me into the world of the B and Z (if only I remembered his advice more often).

Seriously on our servers we avoid the noob word (excpt in self mocking) and I for one ([BFs]Whirlin normally on UKdedi 2) would enjoy flying a few sorties with you. Not that I'm that good mind.

All good advice above http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif especially the "it's who you fly with" part. You'll learn a lot faster if you get on Teamspeak with a group of mature pilots. If you're making an effort towards the team goals you'll find them to be most helpful. If you see Old_Canuck on Hyperlobby and you want some practise taking off and landing on carriers or land, type me a message and I'll be happy to throw up a dogfight map designed for that purpose.

general_kalle
06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
i cant only agree about uk1 and 2.
those are good servers but i would say uk1 as you have Wonder view or however they call it.
you can turn cocpit off.

read the briefing, Grap a bomber and hook up with someone.
just ask if anyone wanna fly a raid with ya?

Xiolablu3
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Glad I helped you out Whirlin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:

All good advice above http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif especially the "it's who you fly with" part. You'll learn a lot faster if you get on Teamspeak with a group of mature pilots. If you're making an effort towards the team goals you'll find them to be most helpful. If you see Old_Canuck on Hyperlobby and you want some practise taking off and landing on carriers or land, type me a message and I'll be happy to throw up a dogfight map designed for that purpose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OldCanuck, I have seen you on UKded2 before flying bombers, but when I tryed to chat to you and asked if you wanted cover, you didnt reply.

Can you see more than one line of chat in the chat bar? I have mine set to 6 lines so I dont miss messages.

Freelancer-1
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by oldtimer1946:
Can anyone suggest a server for a noob, and not very good pilot, to get experience of online flying. I'm enthusiastic but a bit slow and don't want to embarass myself or irritate others too much while i am learning. I am an oldtimer and I have only just discovered computer gaming - all this is very new and a bit daunting!

Oldtimer

Check out the Squadron forum.

Best place to be learning is in co-ops with a bunch of friendly squad mates. Not on some D/F server where everyone is out for themselves (with a few notable exceptions).

I would suggest popping an email off to the Danger Dogz. A great group to fly with http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

willyvic
06-13-2007, 02:06 PM

Oldtimer

You've gotten quite of bit of good advice so far. Please allow me to add some clarification.

1. Most online folks fly at hyperlobby. Here is the site for downloading the software. http://hyperfighter.sk/ You want the Hyperlobby client file. Please rest assured that it in no way compromises your system. And here are the help files to assist you in setting it up. http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

2. Warclouds is a server available that hosts good maps, good plane sets, and great spirit. Most online there are patient and will bend over backwards to help out a new flyer. You can visit sparx's warclouds site at http://www.war-clouds.com/

3. For some Frequently Asked Questions about this game please visit Mission 4 Today at http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=8

4. The most important thing I can recommend is to relax, take some time to familiarize yourself with the ins and outs, and to remember that in the end it is only a game.

Welcome aboard oldtimer!

WV

CarpeNoctem43
06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Great info in this thread.

I would like to add that no matter what your difficulty preferences are, find a server that has a few to several players on it. These servers will tend to be more relaxed as you have less bogeys to worry about. Somewhere about 8 players will be good.

In an environment such as this, people will be more able to offer tips and assistance as they too have less to worry about.

Make sure you get Team Speak as communications are paramount to online flying.

willyvic
06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Ah, forgot the teamspeak link.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads

I recommend using the 2.0.32.60 file.

WV

BaronUnderpants
06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys.

I don't mind being shot down and all, i just don't want to irritate others with my noobness(!). Put it down to courtesy or whatever - this is all new to me but i want to learn without irritating others.

oldtimer

I wouldnt worry to much about irritating others, if they call u a noob they aint worth responding to anyhow.....so dont worry.

If u use chat or teamspeak and point out that u are a "noob" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif there will be more than one whos happy to help u wichever server u choose.

A good idea however would be to try out a server without objectives to start with...like 334:th, since the difficoulty levels isnt your first priority as i understand it. Much less at stake so to speak. Easier to learn the basics without having to worrie about what tank to destroy and where the hell it is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crazyivan1970
06-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Full switch servers are actually safer for new commers then open pit, externals, etc. If i were you i`d go somewhere where minimap path is available and maybe short friendly icons - everything else is full switch. Navigation takes time to get use to. Just my 02c

Taylortony
06-13-2007, 04:00 PM
I am an oldtimer and I have only just discovered computer gaming - all this is very new and a bit daunting!

Oldtimer

But your life and experience is just about to get a whole load better.......... you will find it immersive and it will teach you more about PC's as well......daunting it may be, but give it a while and you will be wondering why you never tried it before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Zeus-cat
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't mind being shot down and all, i just don't want to irritate others with my noobness(!).

I don't think any pilot (real or virtual) minds an easy kill!

Old_Canuck
06-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Glad I helped you out Whirlin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:

All good advice above http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif especially the "it's who you fly with" part. You'll learn a lot faster if you get on Teamspeak with a group of mature pilots. If you're making an effort towards the team goals you'll find them to be most helpful. If you see Old_Canuck on Hyperlobby and you want some practise taking off and landing on carriers or land, type me a message and I'll be happy to throw up a dogfight map designed for that purpose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OldCanuck, I have seen you on UKded2 before flying bombers, but when I tryed to chat to you and asked if you wanted cover, you didnt reply.

Can you see more than one line of chat in the chat bar? I have mine set to 6 lines so I dont miss messages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Xiolablu3 -- sorry I missed your chat message. Yes I do tend to have it set at 3 lines or less and also tend to miss a lot of messages. Last night on Warclouds (after a head on duel) the opponent sent this message: "good shot" and I didn't see it until this morning when reviewing the track ... Old_Canuck making a kill is a rare event so I wanted to watch it again and again lol. Don't mean to be rude not responding to messages. Especially when it comes from a chivalrous opponent. One excuse is the Teamspeak chatter. It tends to demand a bit of concentration when you're with a good team calling out contacts, headings, grid locations etc. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Like mentioned above there is not really a such thing as "noob server". No matter the settings you will find disadvantages for the newbie pilot.

"The arcade server"
This usually describes a server then allows cockpit turned off, icons on, externals on. Here you will have arrows pointing the way to enemy and friend. So that will help you from killing friendlies. But you will not be able to hide. Experienced pilots will find and kill you quickly. It depends on what your looking for. These type of servers are more or less shoot'em ups and may remind you for a FPS game. Usually they have same planes on each side and sometimes every single plane in the game. Rarely are they Axis vs Allies.

"Full Real or Full difficulty"
I will include the external on servers such as UK-Dedicated 2. The external on servers sometimes have icons sometimes not. I believe the popular ones on HL have at least friendly icons. So once again you shouldnt shoot too many friendlies. You usually have your minimap in these servers so navigation is easy. Usually its Axis vs Allied and have objectives.

And then you have your real full difficulty. These will have cockpit locked, no icons at all, no minimap or speedbar, no externals. Here you could possibly hide but unlikely. Many think this is easy to do but its really not the case unless you fly off the map. Experienced pilots can spot and ID targets from a very far distance. You will have to learn to visually identify aircraft and markings. You will most likely die for quite some time and have no idea where it came from, much like real combat in WW2. These servers almost always have missions and are scripted. You will need to know how to navigate as well using your map and headings. These servers can be extremely frustrating for the novice pilot and even for the not so novice pilot. But in my honest opinion the most rewarding. And one step closer to how it actually was. If you want to try your hand at this I highly recommend Zekes vs Wildcats or Spits vs 109s or Winds of War (has minimap).

Most importantly find a server that has helpful pilots and stay away from the ones that have the abusive and insulting ones. A good server will get you up and running more quickly. Bottom line is up to you, do want to fly it as a arcade game or a combat simulator. The choose is yours and yours alone and dont let anyone tell you different. Its your fun not theirs. When your ready and if you so desire look for a squad that best suits your personality. One that dont have 20 members or more I would suggest so you can get more one on one time and shorten the learning curve. There are many good ones to choose from.

Enjoy the game and please stick with it through the frustrating times the rewards are worth it. Best advice I can give. Welcome aboard.

S!

LStarosta
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Hey man, I hate to break it to you, but your sig sucks. If you're gonna rip on Big Blue, you could've spelled it right.

oldtimer1946
06-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Apologies. No offence meant - sig removed immediately.

Oldtimer

Whirlin_merlin
06-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Put it back, it's a quality quote.

Don't let young Skywalker put you off I suspect he's just pulling your chain. If he's not it's only 'cos he didn't really get it.

Crash_Moses
06-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Yes...don't let that young'un intimidate you.

airforceairforceairforceairforceairforceairforceai rforceairforceairforceairforceairforceairforce
airforceairforceairforceairforceairforceairforceai rforceairforceairforceairforceairforceairforce

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

raaaid
06-14-2007, 08:02 AM
i think the reason for the non existance of noob servers are basstards like me who would enter newbee servers with 10 years experience and shoot down 5 planes per minute while evry body would yell cheaaater

Xiolablu3
06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by raaaid:
i think the reason for the non existance of noob servers are basstards like me who would enter newbee servers with 10 years experience and shoot down 5 planes per minute while evry body would yell cheaaater

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

oldtimer1946
06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
quote:

Put it back, it's a quality quote.

Don't know about quality, but I did think it was sort of amusing. The stock answer has already been posted elsewhere -
..the Army Officer sends his men to war. The Naval Officer goes with his men to war. The RAF Officer goes to war and leaves his men at home..

Oldtimer

LStarosta
06-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

I am quite honored that the word "intimidate" was used in reference to me and my 6'1 172 lb frame. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As far as your spelling skills, that only says things about the Marine Corps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

DooDaH2007
06-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm not going to read the whole threat, so I don't know if the following was mentioned...

In my experiance learning this sim, the WarClouds server was the best tool, combined with actually beeing on the warclouds teamspeak to fly with the people there...
They kept me alive long enough to learn and answered all my questions patiently...

Crash_Moses
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

I am quite honored that the word "intimidate" was used in reference to me and my 6'1 172 lb frame. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As far as your spelling skills, that only says things about the Marine Corps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's marinecorps to you, mister... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif