PDA

View Full Version : 26,600 copes of SH3 sold per USATODAY

pbohart
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/marcsaltzman/200...-13-bargin-bin_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/marcsaltzman/2005-06-13-bargin-bin_x.htm)

legodragonxp
06-14-2005, 06:10 PM
For a game that didn't 'sell well', I had to look around a lot to find a copy and I live in a major city (Minneapolis)
-Lego

Yen Lo
06-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Ill always love my copy!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

RJMurphy
06-14-2005, 06:23 PM
From the above link;

-----------------
Some of the best PC games end up in the bargain bin
Sometimes good computer games fall through the cracks because of weak marketing, too many other titles coming out at the same time or being from a genre that's not the hottest. Success means different things to different companies. LucasArts (http://www.lucasarts.com), for example, says a hit computer game sells between 200,000 and 350,000 units. But not all titles cost the same to make, therefore each has its own break-even point.
---------------------

IMHO SHIII is a work of art.
Anyone wonder why it's not selling more?

U-49
06-14-2005, 06:41 PM
The unfortunate thing is I bet Ubi lost a fair amount of sales with the decision to incorporate StarForce CP into SH3. Personally I have no issues with SF, though there are a lot of gamers who will steer well clear of titles that use it. There's got to be a less controversial CP scheme other than SF that Ubi could use. SF isn't anywhere as bad as the negative wrap it's gotten on the net, but none of that matters if people are convinced otherwise.

I don't know the development cost to get SH3 to market, but 26k copies sold doesn't bode well for SH4 ever seeing the light of day. As an exec at Ubi, I know I'd invest my development dollars elswhere. Hopefully I'm wrong, as I'd love to see this franchise continue.

The_Submariner
06-14-2005, 08:02 PM
I wonder if this total is just for the US or if it includes worldwide sales? A game like this will probably do much better in Europe than the U.S., so I'm hoping this is just U.S. totals...

MikeJW
06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
It's US sales only and it only includes sales through April. So it's basicly sales for SH3s first month and a half if that.

Charlie901
06-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by U-49:
The unfortunate thing is I bet Ubi lost a fair amount of sales with the decision to incorporate StarForce CP into SH3. Personally I have no issues with SF, though there are a lot of gamers who will steer well clear of titles that use it. There's got to be a less controversial CP scheme other than SF that Ubi could use. SF isn't anywhere as bad as the negative wrap it's gotten on the net, but none of that matters if people are convinced otherwise.

I don't know the development cost to get SH3 to market, but 26k copies sold doesn't bode well for SH4 ever seeing the light of day. As an exec at Ubi, I know I'd invest my development dollars elswhere. Hopefully I'm wrong, as I'd love to see this franchise continue.

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), SF, is to be incorporated in every new Ubisoft Game release, so I wouldn't say that it alone would have affected sales, of just this particular game?

Somehow I doubt the Splinter Cell series is going to go bust overnite due to SF incorporation.

CrossWire1969
06-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Firstly, I literally hate starforce being on my system but I am deeply in love SH3, my love for SH3 only just having the edge over my hate for SF, that is the only reason I am playing SH3 today, any lesser game that incorporated SF would not be bought by me.
Example Soldiers heroes of ww2, toca race driver, I would have bought both if they where free of SF.
There are a awful lot of people share my hate for SF, I can't give you number or percentage, but a awful lot. It has to reflect in the sales, if not so much with SH3 then with other less addictive games.

Mylo42
06-15-2005, 12:28 AM
I would only imagine that SHIII sold well in Europe.

MobyGrape
06-15-2005, 01:09 AM
I purchased my sh3..the 1st week it was released..I was surprised that the local game spot only had 1 copy on shelf..seems that If the store had more copies on hand at release time MORE could have sold..I think stores limit stock on Sim releases and only order more when they sell shelf stock..

Grocs
06-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Lets hope it does sell well so that Ubisoft will continue to make expansions etc for it.

I've had it for a month now - still playing it more than any other game (60+ hours) - aside from a few negative issues (not enough variety in radio messages - bugs in 1.3 that should allow sonar reports etc) it is one of the best open-ended games I've played in a long while. I haven't gotten back into a sub sim since Gato and 688 Attack Sub (on the original XT) so it is really great to see a good quality subsim out there.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Karamon.

sdcruz
06-15-2005, 02:02 AM
I think AOD sold over 300 000 copies - so WELL DONE SH3!!!!

Regards

Gbucket
06-15-2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by U-49:
You'd be surprised actually. Ubisoft likes to invest in smaller niche titles (look at our support for the flight sim market) and not always go for the big blockbuster (although they're nice too). Compared to something like FIFA, SH3 sold very little, but for what it is - a very niche title - it sold very, very well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about SH4, I'm sure it'll happen. The support we've seen from you guys for Silent Hunter III makes me think that it's pretty much a certainty.

FI_Macca44
06-15-2005, 02:38 AM
I got my copy thanks to my friend in the Netherlands, soon after the release. Unfortunately I couldn't buy the game in Poland until June, now it is avaliable here and I hope many polish players buy it.It's a wonderfull game, if SH4 is going to be ( I hope they will make it) at least as good as SH3 I'll buy it for sure.

Subsims are a niche genre, I don't know how much copes of Aces of the Deep were sold,but SH3 still has some time. In polish shops there is a lot Sh3s on the shelves.

S!

Mac

WhiteKnight77
06-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by UbiRazz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by U-49:
You'd be surprised actually. Ubisoft likes to invest in smaller niche titles (look at our support for the flight sim market) and not always go for the big blockbuster (although they're nice too).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm, Razz, we won't go into Ubi's handling of certain franchises that were aimed at a particular player (seems they are niche gamers too). Read my John Sonedecker interview to understand what I mean.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Slingn
06-15-2005, 08:40 AM
i think those are US numbers only. I know sales of this game in Germany were outstanding. I wonder if those figures are included?

Gbucket
06-15-2005, 08:47 AM
WhiteKnight77, if you're talking about Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six then even you will have to agree that they're no longer niche titles and are treated as such. Games such at Silent Hunter, Rayman, Pacific Fighters, Lock On, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Myst are all good examples of niche titles that Ubisoft support. Now please stop bringing Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six issues onto this forum, this forum is for Silent Hunter III and I loathe to close threads simple because they're not relevant to the forums but if I have to I will.

Genasa
06-15-2005, 09:15 AM
I work in the MediaMarkt in Brussels, Belgium one of the major game stores. I still remember that the whole stock of 25K+ copies went out in aprox 3 days. good sales that i can tell you, got a raise due to this game.

Faamecanic
06-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Guys.... Keep in mind those sales numbers were compiled in APRIL! So those are just USA sales. Imagine what the numbers will be after 2 more months both in the USA and the WORLD.

Gotta be careful when looking at numbers.....

WhiteKnight77
06-15-2005, 09:29 AM
That's why I didn't go there. I don't want this thread to be locked. I would be more than glad to discuss that on the respective forums.

I was just taken aback by your comments when it doesn't always hold true. What happened to Harpoon 4?

I agree, Ubi does have some great niche titles, but they have turned some games upside down or dropped them altogether.

We here on the SHIII forums are aware that it is a niche game and will not sell vast numbers of games. I had anticipated it's release since I first heard about it. While I can't always play it (I think my OS is fooked, several games give me problems and when going to a different HD with a different OS, games played fine), I do have it.

I do try to keep issues for a particular game in it's games respective forum, but your above comment wasn't made anywhere but here. I found it odd that you made when it isn't completely true.

I know SHII is selling well. There are others who don't come by Ubi forums that have bought it and tell their friends to pick it up. I would be curious to see the sales tally at the end of one year.

VF-17_Jolly
06-15-2005, 12:25 PM
There doesn`t seem to be the marketing of sims(sub or aircraft)
just because it isn`t as popular as say FPS,Platform or driving games (carefully avoiding any names)there is no reason not to promote SHIII like any other you might actually sell more copies
I found it difficult to actually find an advert for this game in any popular gaming magazines it is normaly filled with the sort of cute character/creature games only a seven year old would enjoy( no offence to seven year olds on this forum)

JU88
06-15-2005, 01:10 PM
I bought my copy of SH3 second hand... as i never played a sub sim before and wasnt sure if i would like it. So i guess i didnt contribute to sales figures http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

MikeJW
06-15-2005, 05:07 PM
The game was released in what, mid March? The figures are only through April. 26k copies of a sub sim sold in the US in that short of a time had to be beyond the expectations of Ubi and I've heard it's sold very well in Europe. So I say this doesnt sound too bad for the future.