PDA

View Full Version : New to IL2 Series, just got PF

BurnerGPL
04-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Hello All! I'm new to the scene. A group in my clan runs PF so I got it on eBay this week and have been having a blast with it online. Being new, I have some questions.

1. My clan runs a server that is on version 4.02 only and for some reason they opted to stay on that version. However I also would like to join in with others online from time to time. Do I have to reinstall every time I update a patch? Meaning is there an alternate way to reinstalling PF to go back and forth between version 4.04 and 4.02?

2. Maybe I don't have all the literature since I picked the game up off second hand but is there somewhere I missed on the CD or install folder, or maybe a place online, that I can get information on specific aircraft? IE: stall speeds, approach speeds, etc.

3. The first day with PF I broke my old sidewinder stick and picked up a Logitech extreme stick. I'm trying to understand how to tweak it a bit. It seems my control motions are extreme, especially on carrier landings. I have to really concentrate when moving the stick to make very very small adjustments to try and maintain a stable approach. If I can drop down that sensitivity or just somehow not make the motions so jerky I think I can really improve my flight control experience. It just seems like I have the aircraft bouncing around too much when I fly.

Thats all for now... I'll continue reading this forum to find out more must knows...

Thanks!

FoolTrottel
04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi, and Welcome here!

You can easily use multiple versions of the game, here's two different ways to do that:
- Copy the current installation of 4.02 to a folder named <Pf 4.02> or something to your liking. Then patch 4.03 and 4.04 onto that folder. Create a shortcut to the .exe file and you have 4.02 ánd 4.04....
- Or patch 4.02 with 4.03 and 4.04 to get to 4.04, apply patch 4.02 when you want to go back to 4.02. And so on... back and forth... (Should work, I never tried this though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif )

(If you've got plenty of disk space, the first method is preferable, in my opinion...)

EDIT: Look Neural_Dream's Aircraft & Cockpit Reference Guide (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2/il2_essential_files.htm#001) to learn about specific aircraft.

Read Tully's guide on sticks (http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm) on the backgrounds of sticks and sensitivities...
Maybe you can use the tool in my sig to experiment with different sensitivities ...

(Wait for others for more tips & info...)

Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Maple_Tiger
04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
You could try ajusting the in game stick settings.

Click on Hardware, Input, and ajust the roll and pitch.

The default is:

10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100.

mayby try something like:

35 37 40 45 50 57 67 77 90 100. This should make it a little smoother.

You could also set the dead zone to 1 or 2.

Welome abaord!

Tully__
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Bobbling about is something that was a bit of a problem with v4.02, but messing with stick settings can help. In addition to senstivity adjustment, try adding a fair amount of filtering for each axis. It will slow down aicraft response a bit but also make your inputs less jerky.

Maple_Tiger
04-07-2006, 01:34 AM
No what?

I fogrot to add about trim. Some aircraft, most alied planes, can be trimmed.

For exmaple, I have Elevator trim mapped to my Fighterstick, Aileron trim mapped to my left and right arrow keys, and Rudder trim mapped to my Z and X keys.

I usualy add positive Elivator trim and rudder right trim before take off.

R988z
04-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Is that the logitech extreme 3d force feedback? if so it's just a **** stick, I had numerous problems with it and so have many other people from what I gather, get something better. I got a logitech attack 3 and it is miles better for control in comparison, you lose out on rudder control and it's not as nice in your hand but the extra control is definately worth it.

BurnerGPL
04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the bits of info, very much a great help. I am using the Extreme 3d pro, not the forcefeeback, was never into that for some reason. I know the trick of trim and set that up as one of the first things on my sticks (SHIFTED secondary commands) buttons. I fly real life small single engines as a hobby, so trim is your friend.

The stick has been helped with changing the input levels. Thanks for that, made a difference and I also have two folders running now with 4.04 and 4.02 versions. Very sweet indeed.

Now I just need to learn how to fight, hehehe... Getting wooped. heheh

Chuck_Older
04-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey, a GPL fan http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

"Now I just need to learn how to fight, hehehe... Getting wooped. heheh"

First, you need to learn to fly. GPL's learning curve is steeper but no less vital than this sim's. You cannot just hop into a plane and be competitive with somebody who's got 100 or 200 hours stick time in one plane. Just like GPL, you need to pay some dues, but it's worth it

BurnerGPL
04-07-2006, 09:59 AM
OK, I'll bite. Whats your version of GPL? For me its my real names initials.

I understand about paying the dues! I feel pretty good about flying these planes right now and am getting better daily. I do wish I had more accurate information on things like the speeds Vs (stall w/o flaps) Vso (Stall w/ flaps) Vfe, Best glide speed, and the like for the planes I like to fly.

Not even sure if the game is detailed enough to have different speeds for different planes or if its all pretty much the same.

Makes a difference when you know your speeds during bombing runs, carrier landings, etc.

The ingame tuturial has given me enough though to do it and have fun.

Chuck_Older
04-07-2006, 10:09 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Grand Prix Legends

Bandini and Hulme, Gurney and Ginther, Stewart and Amon, Clark and Brabham, Hill and Surtees! It's the 1967 Grand Prix season simulated, the last year before aerodynamics (and seatbelts!) and corporate sponsorship being plastered all over the cars, and the real return of 3.0L GP racing, it was called "Grand Prix's return to power". Teeny little light weight cars on rock hard tires with 3.0L engines going just shy of 200mph (Gurney saw rpms equating to 197mph at Spa in '67), with no downforce to aid traction, with 400 hp engines topping out over 10,000 rpm!

DocD1960
04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I thought the same thing Chuck, I'm a simracing nut myself, been running mostly the Papy NASCAR series the past ten years. Got GPL years ago and found if you could get decent with it the rest was cake, lol. I'm new to this flying thing and find it challenging, frustrating and addictive all at the same time.
S!

MrMojok
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Chuck, I am a die-hard F1 nutcase.

I've been playing EA sport's "F1 Challenge 1999-2002 Season" for a couple of years, and have read a lot about GPL for a while. It sounds incredibly difficult. How long did it take you to become proficient? What wheel do you use?

Chuck_Older
04-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Chuck, I am a die-hard F1 nutcase.

I've been playing EA sport's "F1 Challenge 1999-2002 Season" for a couple of years, and have read a lot about GPL for a while. It sounds incredibly difficult. How long did it take you to become proficient? What wheel do you use?

It took about a month, driving an hour or so a day. Naturally I drove more the better I got http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif With no aero and no G forces, it's hard to get the hang of it at first

I use crummy wheels. The best one for me was the Sidewinded non-FFB, but it wore out in like 4 months, I was very unhappy with it's durability. I use a second-hand MS Sidewinder wheel now, it's ugly, it's just plain old hard plastic, but the pedals are sperate, it has paddles for shifting and six button on the wheel hub, so it does the job well enough

It's not F1, but I bought GT Legends by SimBin and it is GREAT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

triad773
04-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey I bought GTL about a month ago and just got it working right on my machine. Ended up buying a NASCAR wheel & pedals because of the price ($30 USD). The pedals STINK-ola: are there ANY decent pedals out there? The ones I have are akin to toys. At least with the 'vibrating' force feedback on the NASCAR one I could pretend it's bad power steering http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Let alone one with a clutch pedal- now that'd be great too.

But yeah I just my first race over the weekend. A real rush: but not as deep or great as IL-2 (of course)

Triad