PDA

View Full Version : "come with me" VS "Bellum" My comparison

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I think its safe to say that these two movies are the top 2 movies to ever come out of this community.

Now...

Soundtrack: "Bellum" for sure. Much more powerfull then P-whatever's rip off. Plus the add SFX are GREAT. How I wish the game had SFX like that!

Storyline: Again this goes to "Bellum".

Camera Work: Hands down "Come With Me". I have never seen shots like that before, and didnt even know some of them were possible. The movie looks a bit "cleaner" too. I think the effects in "Bellum" are a little over done.

Overall: To hard to say really, I love both of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Both are great movies, way beyond anything I would ever be able to do. Its a pleasure to be into a game with a community of people that can do stuff like that! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BRAVO BRAVO!!

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I think its safe to say that these two movies are the top 2 movies to ever come out of this community.

Now...

Soundtrack: "Bellum" for sure. Much more powerfull then P-whatever's rip off. Plus the add SFX are GREAT. How I wish the game had SFX like that!

Camera Work: Hands down "Come With Me". I have never seen shots like that before, and didnt even know some of them were possible. The movie looks a bit "cleaner" too. I think the effects in "Bellum" are a little over done.

Overall: To hard to say really, I love both of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Both are great movies, way beyond anything I would ever be able to do. Its a pleasure to be into a game with a community of people that can do stuff like that! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BRAVO BRAVO!!

3.JG51_BigBear
03-13-2005, 09:47 PM
They're both excellent films but "Retribution" by Scragbat is still my all time favorite.

VW-IceFire
03-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Not from this community, but Superior Fighters done with LOMAC is up there with the best that I've seen.

I can't remember if I've seen Bellum but Come With Me was really well done cinematically. What was an extra bonus was that the guy knew howto do the pacing...shots were short and intensive. We don't get these sequences that take forever to play out.

96th_Nightshifter
03-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Okay I have seen "come with me" and it is fantastic, anyone got a link for the "Bellum" flik and or "Retribution"?

HotelBushranger
03-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Go to www.netwings.org (http://www.netwings.org) and go to the movies page. I've seen both Bellum and Come With Me. I saw Bellum first, and was pretty blown away, like I was with Come With Me. Storyline goes to Bellum, and the music which is fantastic, genuinely brings it closer to you, i.e. creates emotion, get the bad guy, don't die etc. Cinemetography.....I'd say Come With Me juuuuust, mainly because of the short sharp action shots, as compared to Bellums tad longer more developing camera views, both which are great I reckon. Bellum wins by far in the SFX department, I was so stoked with the sounds ,wish we had them in PF!!!

In the end, my vote goes to Bellum. A more enjoyable and story-telling movie.

Bateleur
03-14-2005, 02:42 AM
Any particular reason why you guys are not even considering "I Promise (http://downloads.meyeuniverse.com/movies/IPromiseDIVX512.zip)" as a contender in the virtual movies dept. I personally think it superior to both "Bellum" and "Come with me" in all aspects. Truly something to behold IMHO.

Just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LeadSpitter_
03-14-2005, 04:20 AM
bw had a much better story so did alot of other videos but the video quality of come with me no video compairs to it and camera angles, I promise was good as well but the video quality was not very good same with the other videos with good story lines.

CHN DOF did a excellent movie as well yaks and russian p40s vs 109s and 190s if anyone remembers which was excellent and very high quality video.

I

Flying_Nutcase
03-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Both really well done. Come With Me is plenty good enough, as someone else mentioned, to be PF's promo vid. Really superb.

And let's not forget Gutted's "Legend" - my all time favorite, but a different kettle of fish, still available at Netwings.

310th Falcon
03-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Gutted's Classic:"Legend" (http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcd.cgi?az=redirect&link_id=000001551&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.netwings.org%2Ffiles%2Ffb_v ideos%2FLegend_-_the_bf109%2FLegend_the_bf109.zip)

ST_Pawnee Classic "Bellum" (http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcd.cgi?az=redirect&link_id=000001752&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.netwings.org%2Ffiles%2Ffb_v ideos%2FBellum%2FBellum.zip)

Scagbat's Classic "Retribution" (http://www.scragbat.co.uk/il2/il2movies/retribution.zip)

All are outstanding Movies http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Best Regards

LordOliver
03-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Excellent movies all.. I am just happy there are so many talented folks who take the time to do such works. They need to know it is greatly appreciated.

I really got into the story line of "I Promise". I got a chill watching the part with the Bf110 crashing to earth with the pilot and gunner yelling in panic. A definite must see.

Also "V1" The bombing sequence of the Tirpitz was incredible.

Kvarium
03-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I saw Come with me, I promise and Bellum in that order.

I was amazed by the visual quality of Come with me and I rather like the song.

I promise definatly gave me chills, reminded me of my grandfather and how much these people sacrificed. I visited the privateletters.net web site afterwards, it's a great tribute.

Bellum was good but I didn't get into it as much as the other two and I'm not sure why. You can tell a lot of work went into it but I didn't like the color retouch, everything looked like candy.

My vote would be for I promise.

K.

Fliegeroffizier
03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
All three are excellent movies...

I especially like "Come to Me" because of its unique style/techniques....

"Bellum" is also excellent, and has its own unique style (the intensified/saturated Colors, for example)...

"I Promise"...definitely one of the very best Emotionally moving Plots, and unique SFX...

However, I don't agree that "Bellum" specifically ranks with "Come to Me" as The Top Two, as suggested by the first poster in this thread. In fact, there are at least a half dozen other movies(not yet mentioned in this thread) that would be competitive for being recognized as The Best and/or Second Best.....

By the way, Many/Most of the best movies aren't even hosted at Netwings...so if that is the major source of movies to be compared, the results will be skewed...

DIRTY-MAC
03-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I must admit that "Come with me" is the best I have seen up to date.

PF_Coastie
03-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I have always liked "Requiem" better than Bellum. I would like to see a remake of bellum that is done on a better system with some AA and perfect water.

310th Falcon
03-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Coastie writes
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would like to see a remake of bellum that is done on a better system with some AA and perfect water.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ST_Pawnee as we speak is starting work on a sequel to Bellum...called Bellum 2.

Can't wait to see what ST_Pawnee has in-store for us...should be awesome!!

Best Regards

Philipscdrw
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I've seen 'Come with me' so far, it was excellently excellent. I loved the soundtrack, the cinematography, the way the cinematography matched the soundtrack. The first section of the film (up to the stage when they start attacking Dauntli) was absolutely incredible - it was very good after that, but not as good as the first minute or so.

RC_kedik
03-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Before had created 'come with me' I saw just few movies...

Just downloaded Bellum & I promise... It is VERY good ones!!! My deep RESPECT to authors! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
Seen nothing like those since 'Requium' (sorry if I miss some other good movies).
Thanks for links.

Jambock__01
03-15-2005, 07:34 AM
IMHO and respect to the others, there is no comparison possible with "Come with me". Its an absolutly outstanding film, with new standards and scenes i never saw before.

All others are merely kill scenes i can see every day when i play this game.

"Come with me" have a superb edition! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Luftkillier
03-15-2005, 07:51 AM
There at least a dozen or so classics that set the stage for the movies mentioned(Sacrifice, Prophecy, Stranger etc...) the list goes on. It is really great to see so many guys getting into the great movies the movie making community has been making for the past three years. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif The community has a wide variety of movie types and techniques to fit just about everyone tastes. The best is still in the eye of the beholder. S~

Aeronautico
03-15-2005, 08:41 AM
There are many great or even excellent movies around (I don't see "V1", "Salvation" or "Four Horsemen" mentioned here, but they're good ones!), but only two really stand out of the crowd: "Requiem" and "Come with Me".

Not to be compared though, 'cause the former is very primitive in means and scope (dates back to the days when original IL-2 movie making was in its inphancy), while the latter is a way more sophisticated product.

joeap
03-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Well, I really love "Come with me" but have to add while I have not seen "Bellum", and enjoyed "Requiem", "Purple Heart Alley" as well as "I Promise" got to me. Why? Because both tolsd stories and pics of real people. "Purple Heart Alley" told a real story, and the last sequence hit me as I realised these people who lived through the war (military or civilians) are leaving us.

-HH-Dubbo
03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Apples and oranges.

"Come with me" is a rock video, and well done at that (Could be compared to "Legend")

Bellum is a short film, also well done. Neither is comparible with the other though.

Skarphol
03-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I agree, its kind of apples and oranges.

"Bellum" tells a story, and has emphases on storyline, personal aspect and fantastic sounds.

"Come with me" is a fantastic rockvideo! Beats the musicvideo to Top Gun soundtrack "Dangerzone" in my opinion. The use of cameraangles in "Come.." is the best I've seen in any of these movies, and as I watched it for maybe the 6th time it amazed me how many small clips of video has been put together for that movie? The timing with video and music is immaculate, and the start of the video when the camera moves inside the Zero is really great!

Skarphol

-HH-Dubbo
03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Actually my favourite shots in that video are the flybys past the aircraft carriers with the Wildcats on the deck. Sweet, sweet stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tom1502_158
03-15-2005, 05:29 PM
So far I have only seen "come with me", this is the first time I have been on this forum, I have a few of my own videos online at the 79vRAF Hangar (http://www.freewebs.com/79vrafscreenshots), they aren't in the same league as those though,

_79_OD_

ddelarosa
03-15-2005, 11:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGeneral_D:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? There is no story in "Bellum". None whatsoever.

What makes a story a story is a THEME, or central idea. Otherwise it is just a report (it only relates information).

In "Bellum":
P-38 pilot leads attack against Zeroes.
In retribution, Japanese make suprise attack on P-38 base.
Lead P-38 pilot leads scramble to intercept attacking Zeroes and gets shot down in the process.

It is like watching a weather or traffic report. It gives informtaion about an isolated incident, but no themes or ideas. It may have a plot, but a plot does not a story make, only a theme.

"Come with me" uses an isolated incident (two Zeroes take on the entire island of Midway by themselves, effectively committing suicide) to convey an idea. The idea is that it is futile to stop a war and all you can do is accept it once it has started.

Like a forest fire, war can't be stopped, only contained. But that means sacrificing parts of the forest to let the fire run its course. War requires sacrifice to let it run its course. Even the sacrifice of your own life. Like a fire, war consumes all, and leaves only a barren vacuum in its wake, to be filled only by the wind.

So the theme of "Come with me":
Once we accept the futility of stopping war, only then can we fully appreciate the need to PREVENT a war.

Watching "Bellum" one is only left with the question - "War. Ok. So what about it?"

RedSpar
03-15-2005, 11:56 PM
"Requim" is still the best to me. It's one of the few videos that pulls your hearstrings an makes you feel the victory and loss from war.

When the "spirits" of the FW190s peel away at the end it nearly put a tear to my eye the first time I watched it.

"I Promise" is a close second for the same reasons.

"Come with me" is a technically very good and well edited music video. Just lacks much emotional impact and a story. So if you judge it for what it is, it is excellent. It's the difference between watching the movie Pearl Harbor and Tora, Tora, Tora. One is pretty to look at and the other is something you relish in all the little details and nuances of the story.

Carnage2681
03-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I also think Superior Fighters from Lomac is the best video out there, maybe i like the soundtrack so much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Badsight.
03-16-2005, 04:38 AM
the movie i liked the most that was made from a Combat Flight simultor , is " Stay out of the Clouds "

made from Lomac footage

HotelBushranger
03-16-2005, 04:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Huh? There is no story in "Bellum". None whatsoever.

What makes a story a story is a THEME, or central idea. Otherwise it is just a report (it only relates information).

In "Bellum":
Lead P-38 pilot leads scramble to intercept attacking Zeroes and gets shot down in the process.

It is like watching a weather or traffic report. It gives informtaion about an isolated incident, but no themes or ideas. It may have a plot, but a plot does not a story make, only a theme.

"Come with me" uses an isolated incident (two Zeroes take on the entire island of Midway by themselves, effectively committing suicide) to convey an idea. The idea is that it is futile to stop a war and all you can do is accept it once it has started.

Like a forest fire, war can't be stopped, only contained. But that means sacrificing parts of the forest to let the fire run its course. War requires sacrifice to let it run its course. Even the sacrifice of your own life. Like a fire, war consumes all, and leaves only a barren vacuum in its wake, to be filled only by the wind.

So the theme of "Come with me":
Once we accept the futility of stopping war, only then can we fully appreciate the need to PREVENT a war.

Watching "Bellum" one is only left with the question - "War. Ok. So what about it?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, there are a lot of things I doubt in that post, no offence to the poster.

"What makes a story a story is a THEME, or central idea. Otherwise it is just a report (it only relates information).

In "Bellum":
Lead P-38 pilot leads scramble to intercept attacking Zeroes and gets shot down in the process."

The same thing could be said for Come With Me. Two Japanese pilots attacking Midway.
In retaliation, a carrier force of Wildcats gets sent after them.
After a breif battle, the Zeros are shot down.

Merely a report.

"to convey an idea."

"Like a forest fire, war can't be stopped, only contained. But that means sacrificing parts of the forest to let the fire run it......."

Again, the same thing could be said for Bellum. In the opening sequence, the relationship between the two pilots is developed, as they work together to shoot down enemies. The scene at the Japanese airbase conveys a feeling of the traditional Japanese Samurai, of the Warrior, which is reinforced by the music. Then, shots showing the US airbase at peace, which is broken by the engines of the Zeros as they dive down and strafe the aircraft. A lone P-38 pilot tries to scramble, but is unsuccessful, losing his life in the process. This shows the sacrafice shown in wartime, as it is probably obvious to the pilot he would not survive, against a squadron of Zeros, yet up he goes Again, when the two Ace P-38 pilots take off, and one is shot down before he is able to get off the ground, the other goes on, instead of landing and seeing how is mate is doing. This is conveying the idea of, whilst it is good to have mates, when they are killed, you have to "go on without them" to use the old cliche.
The next scene really portays an idea of vengence, of avenging your mates death, and you see him subsequently shooting down many Zeros, including the one that killed his mate. He is then chased himself by Zeros, which, after a short period of action music, is replaced by a tone of peacefulness, of accepting the fate that a soldier in war time will most likely have.

The ending shot is one of isolation, with the one plume of smoke rising into the air.

Sorry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, thats my english teacher talking inside my head.

IMO, Come With Me is just an enjoyable music track partnered with well shot and well timed sequences, which I'm not saying is bad, but to me really doesnt do anything.

ddelarosa
03-16-2005, 08:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotelBushranger:

Hmmm, there are a lot of things I doubt in that post, no offence to the poster.

Again, the same thing could be said for Bellum. In the opening sequence, the relationship between the two pilots is developed, as they work together to shoot down enemies.

DUH. Pilots had to work together to succeed in combat. That is a fact, not an idea. Tell me something I don't know.

The scene at the Japanese airbase conveys a feeling of the traditional Japanese Samurai, of the Warrior, which is reinforced by the music.

DUH. A fact, not an idea. It is a Japanese base, hence the Japanese music.

Then, shots showing the US airbase at peace, which is broken by the engines of the Zeros as they dive down and strafe the aircraft.

DUH. A fact, not an idea. It wouldn't be a suprise attack if the base was not at peace.

A lone P-38 pilot tries to scramble, but is unsuccessful, losing his life in the process. This shows the sacrafice shown in wartime, as it is probably obvious to the pilot he would not survive, against a squadron of Zeros, yet up he goes.
DUH. A fact, not an idea. Pilots die in combat.

Again, when the two Ace P-38 pilots take off, and one is shot down before he is able to get off the ground, the other goes on, instead of landing and seeing how is mate is doing. This is conveying the idea of, whilst it is good to have mates, when they are killed, you have to "go on without them" to use the old cliche.

DUH. A fact, not an idea. Pilots could not shirk their duties just because they no longer felt like it.

The next scene really portays an idea of vengence, of avenging your mates death, and you see him subsequently shooting down many Zeros, including the one that killed his mate.

DUH. A fact, not an idea. In the heat of the moment, the loss of a close friend can cause vengeful anger.

He is then chased himself by Zeros, which, after a short period of action music, is replaced by a tone of peacefulness, of accepting the fate that a soldier in war time will most likely have.The ending shot is one of isolation, with the one plume of smoke rising into the air.

DUH. A fact, not an idea. Battles end eventually.

Sorry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, thats my english teacher talking inside my head.
Nice try, but please stop with your attempt at "understanding". You are making your English teacher look bad.

IMO, Come With Me is just an enjoyable music track partnered with well shot and well timed sequences, which I'm not saying is bad, but to me really doesnt do anything.
You must have no heart, imagination or soul to get nothing from "Come With Me". Watching "Bellum" is like reading an encyclopedia.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

flatlander5
03-16-2005, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH-Dubbo:
Apples and oranges.

"Come with me" is a rock video, and well done at that (Could be compared to "Legend")

Bellum is a short film, also well done. Neither is comparible with the other though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. A rock video and a docu-drama are not comparable. Both are examples of excellence in IL2-based movie making.

I was inspired to try to figure out how it they were done. Winproducer and VirtualDub together can do most of the effects.... how if only I had some creativity.... and a week with nothing to do....sigh.

HelSqnProtos
03-16-2005, 10:27 AM
S~!

"I Promise" is still the best of all time. It has not yet been beat. I saw all of the movies mentioned and while "come with me" was ok, it didn't come close to being in the same league as "I Promise" As many people have correctly pointed out "come with me" is a rap/rock video. Not a movie about simming in my opinion. "Bellum" has it way over "come with me" for that very reason.

Props to all these fine film makers.

-HH-Dubbo
03-16-2005, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelSqnProtos:
S~!

"I Promise" is still the best of all time. It has not yet been beat. I saw all of the movies mentioned and while "come with me" was ok, it didn't come close to being in the same league as "I Promise" As many people have correctly pointed out "come with me" is a rap/rock video. Not a movie about simming in my opinion. "Bellum" has it way over "come with me" for that very reason.

Props to all these fine film makers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can "Bellum" have it way over "Come With Me"? It's like saying that the latest BMW motorcycle has it way over the HUMVEE. How? For what? Sure they'll both get you to work but you can't compare the two so why do it?

Different aspects of the videos can be compared but only in a general sense (like the parkability of the aforementioned vehicles.)

How is either one a "movie about simming" BTW? Actually how is any video done by the community here ever been a "movie about simming"?

And just because you like something doesn't necessarily make it good. I liked the A-team and CHiPs growing up....doesn't make 'em good TV today nor back then.

BTW I liked "The Promise" as much as the next guy and while I appreciate the skill and effort put into production, it was a bit syrupy and heavy-handed don't you think? "Requiem" was a hell of a lot more subtle

ddelarosa
03-16-2005, 02:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelSqnProtos:
S~!

Props to all these fine film makers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Bellum" has nothing over "Come With Me". To think so indicates a severe lack of cognitive thought and comprehension abilities.

Bellum is typical FB/PF movie-making, i.e., it is merely pornographic. What "story" there is serves only as a plot device or excuse to show gratuitous close-ups of aircraft in action. Just the way porno movies are not usually considered "stories". They serve only to show beautiful female bodies in "action". The viewer can observe every pore, freckle, hill, valley, nook and cranny in "loving" detail. "Bellum" shows every rivet, strut and panel in loving detail. Porno provides a vicarious experience to the sexually frustrated. You can be the stud that gets to be in some beauty's "cockpit". Bellum and movies of its ilk allow frustated pilots and Walter Mitty wannabe's to get in the cockpit of some beautiful aircraft. Such movies are for people who get hot and bothered when up close and personal to warbirds in combat.

Movies like Bellum serve to titallate, not to express an idea or emotion. "Come with me" is expressive and therefore can be considered art.

"I promise" is exploitative like "Bellum". Not in the porno sense, but it is so saccharine and maudlin that it is too obvious. You know exactly what it is trying to accomplish.

"Bellum" and "I promise" are entertainment. They give you what you expect. True art opens your mind and gives you what you may not have expected.

DINGHAO
03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
^ Interesting critique.

My compliments to all film makers, regardless.

Kill Bill vs. Million Dollar Baby vs. Ikuru

Different flavors for different tastes and different moods.

Skarphol
03-18-2005, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddelarosa:
Bellum is typical FB/PF movie-making, i.e., it is merely pornographic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I was one of the pilots in "Bellum" this makes me a porn-actor, something I would never have expected to be at an age of 35!

Skarphol

310th Falcon
03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
ddelarosa writes:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bellum is typical FB/PF movie-making, i.e., it is merely pornographic. What "story" there is serves only as a plot device or excuse to show gratuitous close-ups of aircraft in action. Just the way porno movies are not usually considered "stories". They serve only to show beautiful female bodies in "action". The viewer can observe every pore, freckle, hill, valley, nook and cranny in "loving" detail. "Bellum" shows every rivet, strut and panel in loving detail. Porno provides a vicarious experience to the sexually frustrated. You can be the stud that gets to be in some beauty's "cockpit". Bellum and movies of its ilk allow frustated pilots and Walter Mitty wannabe's to get in the cockpit of some beautiful aircraft. Such movies are for people who get hot and bothered when up close and personal to warbirds in combat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif You been watching too many Porn movies... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Best Regards

sc1949
03-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Anyone have a link to "Requiem", tried a search, but failed. Thanks.

sc1949
03-19-2005, 04:49 AM
anyone have a link for "Requiem"? Tried searching, but no go. Thanks

Fliegeroffizier
03-19-2005, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by plumps_:
Requiem download page <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please DO NOT provide Direct links to internal files/pages at my WEBsite! It is impolite to do so. If folks want to see a movie at my site, I would like them to enter thru the front door(see my sigblock below)

I request that you immediately delete the link in your post.

plumps_
03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Deleted the posting although I don't understand your reasoning. I'm glad about every visitor to my own websites, no matter where he enters. You even have provided the necessary links to find the main page and reload the frame set. (On my own frame pages I use JavaScript to load the navigation frame if visitors enter a subpage via search engine.)

As a web surfer I don't like to be patronized by websites that force me to download X pages and X MB of flash movies before I get to the content I wanted to see. That's what I consider impolite.

Anyway I'd recommend you to add a note to your site that specifies in which way people may or may not link to it.

310th Falcon
03-20-2005, 05:47 AM
S! sc1949

Click Here (http://www.nr.no/~pab/IL2%20movies/REQUIEM_705k.wmv) for Requiem

Enjoy

Best Regards

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-20-2005, 07:22 AM
I still remember "requiem". It hasn't been removed from my harddrive since it first came out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HotelBushranger
03-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Just watched requiem, not too bad lol

Fliegeroffizier
03-20-2005, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by plumps_:
Deleted the posting although I don't understand your reasoning...
As a web surfer I don't like to be patronized by websites that force me to download X pages...before I get to the content I wanted to see. That's what I consider impolite... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for deleting the link. We disagree on what is polite or appropriate...

...and, to be honest, I don't get your point about being "patronized"

Mirriam-Webster Dictionary:
Patronize : to adopt an air of condescension toward; to treat haughtily or coolly

Oxford Dictionary:
Patronize: to speak to or behave towards someone as if they are stupid or unimportant

HelSqnProtos
03-20-2005, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddelarosa:

"Bellum" has nothing over "Come With Me". To think so indicates a severe lack of cognitive thought and comprehension abilities.

Bellum is typical FB/PF movie-making, i.e., it is merely pornographic. What "story" there is serves only as a plot device or excuse to show gratuitous close-ups of aircraft in action. Just the way porno movies are not usually considered "stories". They serve only to show beautiful female bodies in "action". The viewer can observe every pore, freckle, hill, valley, nook and cranny in "loving" detail. "Bellum" shows every rivet, strut and panel in loving detail. Porno provides a vicarious experience to the sexually frustrated. You can be the stud that gets to be in some beauty's "cockpit". Bellum and movies of its ilk allow frustated pilots and Walter Mitty wannabe's to get in the cockpit of some beautiful aircraft. Such movies are for people who get hot and bothered when up close and personal to warbirds in combat.

Movies like Bellum serve to titallate, not to express an idea or emotion. "Come with me" is expressive and therefore can be considered art.

"I promise" is exploitative like "Bellum". Not in the porno sense, but it is so saccharine and maudlin that it is too obvious. You know exactly what it is trying to accomplish.

"Bellum" and "I promise" are entertainment. They give you what you expect. True art opens your mind and gives you what you may not have expected. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you taking your medication or what????? THE DOCTOR TOLD YOU TAKE IT EVERY DAY FOR IT TO BE EFFECTIVE. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

plumps_
03-20-2005, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliegeroffizier:
...and, to be honest, I don't get your point about being "patronized"

Mirriam-Webster Dictionary:
Patronize : to adopt an air of condescension toward; to treat haughtily or coolly

Oxford Dictionary:
Patronize: to speak to or behave towards someone as if they are stupid or unimportant <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not a native English speaker so it may happen now and again that I don't find the adequate word in my dictionary. What I meant is something like "to annoy someone by imposing one's will on him".

BTW. did you note my own signature with the deeplinks to the specific pages people might be looking for? And don't you wonder why sc1949 didn't find "Requiem" even though there's a link to your site in this thread?

But this discussion is off topic here and shouldn't overshadow the brilliant movie "Come with me" (yes it's better than "Bellum" ... How can you compare a movie to "Come with me" that starts with a view of the ugly layered forest ...)

So consider this as another Bump.

Fliegeroffizier
03-20-2005, 08:35 PM
....I'm not a native English speaker so it may happen now and again that I don't find the adequate word in my dictionary. What I meant is something like "to annoy someone by imposing one's will on him".

... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there must be a language problem.

YOU come to MY Site while you are "surfing the web"; at my Site I offer a LOT of interesting multimedia 'stuff' of interest to you; and then You Claim that it is I who is somehow "ANNOYING" YOU and "imposing my Will upon you"???!!!!!!!!????!!!!
I humbly suggest that you might possibly benefit from some therapy, my friend...seriously...!!!

Good luck...

I'm now out of this thread...

sc1949
03-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks 310th Falcon, I ended up finding it. Whoa!!! Who's the music by?, I've been playing Perry como's version ingame for ages, but that blew me away.

plumps_
03-21-2005, 01:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliegeroffizier:
....I'm not a native English speaker so it may happen now and again that I don't find the adequate word in my dictionary. What I meant is something like "to annoy someone by imposing one's will on him".

... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there must be a language problem.

YOU come to MY Site while you are "surfing the web"; at my Site I offer a LOT of interesting multimedia 'stuff' of interest to you; and then You Claim that it is _I_ who is somehow "_ANNOYING_" _YOU_ and "_imposing my Will upon you_"???!!!!!!!!????!!!!
I humbly suggest that you might possibly benefit from some therapy, my friend...seriously...!!!

Good luck...

I'm now out of this thread... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I was just talking about some principles of website usability. It may be your intention to offer a lot of multimedia stuff but in (e.g.) sc1949's case you obviously failed as there is someone else who does the same thing but does it in a more user friendly way. That's the way things work on the internet.

Maybe if you calm down you'll understand that there's something to learn for you.

ddelarosa
03-21-2005, 09:29 PM

"Bellum" and "I promise" are entertainment. They give you what you expect. True art opens your mind and gives you what you may not have expected. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you taking your medication or what????? THE DOCTOR TOLD YOU TAKE IT EVERY DAY FOR IT TO BE EFFECTIVE. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I know why they call this place the UbiZOO over at SimHQ. Because of some of the "people" who inhabit it.

AFJ_Locust
03-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Link to Come with me ?

310th Falcon
03-21-2005, 11:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now I know why they call this place the UbiZOO over at SimHQ. Because of some of the "people" who inhabit it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Gr7_Bizu-RO
03-22-2005, 03:43 AM
...now here,s my quick humble attempt.It,s a musical v.clip, nothing more. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifMotorhead-Ace of spades. Fell free to trash it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

http://www.netwings.org/files/fb_videos/AceofSpades/AoSFinal.zip.zip

Fliegeroffizier
03-22-2005, 04:00 PM
...Maybe if you calm down you'll understand that there's something to learn for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right...and, with all due resepct, I would suggest that maybe you'll finally say Thanks for the fact that you got the movie at my site...you Never Once did that, you know...

...and finally, again with all due respect, why not now be true to yourself and your expressed opinions(only you will know for sure if you cheat) and don't bother going again to the Site any more since you don't like its design which so dramatically offends you......I'm sure you'll find Plenty of other places to get your movies.

Remember, don't cheat, now...stick to your principles, avoid the annoyance, and certainly do not let yourself be further "patronized". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

plumps_
03-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I downloaded "Come with me" from the Red Clones website and "Requiem" has been on my harddrive for a long time (got it at a LAN party).

I guess you should ask people to say thanks to the Swiss tax payers as (according to the URL) it's a Swiss university server the bandwidth of which you've been getting for free.

I was trying to help someone to find the "Requiem" video, which seemed to be no problem until you dropped in with an objection I still don't understand, and now you're asking me to say thank you ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Fliegeroffizier
03-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's somewthing very interestiong, from YOUR site!!!

You say there:
2003/2004 Rainer Lück.
Please don't copy these missions to offer them for download on other web sites. Link to this page instead:
&lt;a href="http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/missionen-en.html"&gt;Missions for Forgotten Battles&lt;/a&gt;

My, my, my....So..you want people to go to YOUR Missionspage of your Site, rather than having folks post a direct link to a mission contained therein!!!!!!

But when i ask you to do teh same by not posting a direct link to a Movie on MY site, you claim that you just don't understand why i should ask you not to do so...Unbelievable!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

plumps_
03-22-2005, 05:13 PM
So you actually didn't look at all at the link you wanted me to delete?

I was not linking to the file itself but to the download page -- that's exactly what I'm asking people to do with my missions.

As I've written above I had even checked if your main page can be reached from that subpage. Still you were asking me to delete the link...

Spinnetti
03-22-2005, 07:54 PM
These are great, but I think requiem is certainly worth a look.

Fliegeroffizier
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
So you actually didn't look at all at the link you wanted me to delete?

I was not linking to the file itself but to the download page -- that's exactly what I'm asking people to do with my missions.

As I've written above I had even checked if your main page can be reached from that subpage. Still you were asking me to delete the link... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this is getting absurd and VERY Boring...

You can do whatever You like with Your site, I could care less...it's really not that great.

As to my site, I don't want people like you posting links to internal sections, pages, movies, sound files, jpg's or any other Elements of my site. I built the Site over a number of years, and folks are welcome to come to it and find what they specifically want or they might discover new surprises. It wasn't meant for people like you to pick and choose what they want to dip into, and pass around, like you are browsing some smorgasbord...

You can send people to my Site or not...that's up to you...but, as I have politely asked, do it the correct way by posting a link to the homepage.

By the way, this has been previously addressed on this forum and, if the search function here worked, I could direct you to the thread(s) where it was a Moderator who requested the deletion of posts containing certain direct-links into folders/files at a/my site.

Now...this thread is hereafter yours..enjoy it. Debate the issue with yourself. It's been giving me a headache http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

HotelBushranger
03-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Nice site, got lots of cool stuff. Gets annoying in the movies section when the two parts from the movie (Big Blue World or something, in someones sig) keeps replaying when you go back to the page http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif