PDA

View Full Version : To be or not to be....IXB

Excalibur688
10-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Ok, it is Oct 1940 and im on my second career cause my first Kaptain got caught with his pants down...long story...lol. Anywho I was stationed in Wilhelmshaven for the start of my career and then got transfered to Brest and I was relieved that I got to take my trusty VIIB with me. Well after a few quick patrols and earning a grand total of 9800 renown and having a decked out VIIB, for 1940 that is...I transfered to Lorient to possibly get the IXB. Is she worth it.....I know there is issues about leaving Lorient but I dont mind the trip.....sometimes I enjoy those shoreline cruises and I'll go topside to look around.
Opinions and comments welcomed as always.

Baldricks_Mate
10-05-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm currently in a IXB in 1941. I decided, finally, to do a career in the bigger boats and I'm going to see it through.

I would not say they are better or worse, just different but I personally prefer the VII's.

To each their own...

blastomatic1759
10-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Im still not sure what i prefer , i just got a IXB and im in '41 also , it seems to handle a little slow, i could whip that type VII around in no time. and plus im used to a near instant dive , as to waiting 99 years for the IXB to get under. I do like the IXB torpedos load out of a kabazillion torps, thats kinda nice.but im still getting used to it , i think im gonna keep it and stop doing bonzai charges ,thats kinda why i dont have the last one , U99 is an artificial reef around ireland now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
but the ride out of lorient isnt bad, all you do is get it past the lighthouse , set the course, go break something in the house, get in an argument that it wasnt you, and by the time your done youll be in open water. long live U124

The_Silent_O
10-05-2005, 06:45 AM
I got a IXB in my last career and played it from 42 through early 44. For playability, I'd advise against it.

- You'll be sent on long trips with few convoy encounters (carribean, south atlantic)
- It takes you ages to dive and surface
- You have to maintain a slightly larger crew and you'll have less medals to provide for everyone.
- It doesn't do convoy attacks well (not manueverable, slow to dive away)

With the VIIs you seem to spend just enough time out to be itching to get back into port and you get sent to the convoy lanes more often.

Baldricks_Mate
10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
------------------------------------------------
I got a IXB in my last career and played it from 42 through early 44... With the VIIs you seem to spend just enough time out to be itching to get back into port and you get sent to the convoy lanes more often.

Yeah, thats a pretty slick summary. The IXB has to be worked a lot more to get half the results but you get more torps. I don't mind the challenge even with the frustration added. Makes me "work out" all the more to get the best out of it.

Dominicrigg
10-05-2005, 07:23 AM
I have only used them in the single missions where they are provided and they seem to me to take a lot more damage, though i couldnt be sure. As for diving yes they are slugs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif be carefull about staying on the surface as you will be in trouble if spotted by something with guns.

The loadout is cool but for me is not that great, i impose my own rules to make the game more realistic and one of them is not being able to load outboard torps untill its 5m/s wind or less and i have to stand still for the duration (As they had to in real life). Also if i am caught on the surface and have to run or dive i count those torps in the process of being loaded as lost and dont allow myself to dive for 3 minutes or so (simulating getting everyone back in and the equipment ect.)

May seem strange but im a bit strange http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Baldricks_Mate
10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Quote by Dominicrigg:
i impose my own rules to make the game more realistic and one of them is not being able to load outboard torps untill its 5m/s wind or less and i have to stand still for the duration (As they had to in real life). Also if i am caught on the surface and have to run or dive i count those torps in the process of being loaded as lost and dont allow myself to dive for 3 minutes or so (simulating getting everyone back in and the equipment ect.)

I know this is O.T but funny you should say that...I have a bunch on additional mission orders on paper in a bowl. When I start a patrol I draw one out. It might say "attack all warships" or "only target tankers" or "intercept all fishing vessels, intelligence shows in this grid they carry spies" or "Pass go collect $200"...oopps, wrong game. Now you know where I got it from!

Dominicrigg
10-05-2005, 09:20 AM
lol sounds like a cool idea!

I have often thought about making a little table for the "Request new orders" thing. So i could request new orders, roll 2 dice and then look on the table, and it would say "patrol a grid 4 down from where you are" or "patrol the grid 2 grids to the east". As its annoying when i get a grid where there is no one and i wish i could ask for new orders as they did after 10 days of nothingness.

(and yes i know i could just go where i wanted but again this is not realistic at all lol.)

Excalibur688
10-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Well, we could have someone on here designate themselves as BDU and you could come here and request new orders for a new grid assignment...now THAT would be cool!

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by blastomatic1759:
Long live U124 You Got U-124??? Give it to me!!!

Dominicrigg
10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Excalibur688:
Well, we could have someone on here designate themselves as BDU and you could come here and request new orders for a new grid assignment...now THAT would be cool!

What a wicked idea excalibur! You could send your patrol reports of sinkings to him/her too. But i think it would be a lot of work if there are a few people asking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif lol but very cool, unless we get an evil BDU op "yes excal, patrol grid BF31. Be more aggressive!"

ILikePortillos
10-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I think the IX is worth it. I actually like them all. They all have their strong points. For me, the long range allows you to vistit some really interesting places. What German sailor wouldn't like to be assigned to a Caribbean patrol sector in January?

Now if only they'd send me somewhere OTHER than EK-74.

Excalibur688
10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Well I got her....first patrol grid BE99...I've had longer patrol routes out of Wilhelmshaven in the VIIB....lol. Must be for a good shake down cruise.....lol. I will say one thing she has a fatter butt then my VIIB...and she has to be coaxed down for sure....lol. I think I will like her, it goes along my style of play....wish me luck this is my first career long boat...whew.

Kaleun1961
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
You know, folks, there is an easy way to always get the patrol grid you really want for each patrol. Use SH3 Commander and use its option to set your next patrol grid. I know that you cannot use SH3 Commander's feature until your second patrol and onward, but it is a great program for customizing your career.

Dominic and Baldrick, those are really great ideas you guys have. Like you, Dom, I impose restrictions on my use of the external torpedoes. I think I will adapt your rules to mine. Baldrick's mission bowl is a pretty neat idea as well. I spend a week in my patrol grid. If the weather is too bad or there is o action, I move on to a convoy lane grid and patrol there. This almost always works. I can only recall a handful of patrols in which I did not get at least one convoy report.

So, for you folks who don't like the grids you are assigned while in a 9, try SH3 Commander.

jooo9
10-05-2005, 02:32 PM
I'd prefer the IXC. They have 1 more external torpedo. (!) They can be found in the 10th flotilla in 1941.

EDIT: No you can't. I lied. Its 1942. But still, I'd prefer the IXC.

Gunnersman
10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.-:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blastomatic1759:
Long live U124 You Got U-124??? Give it to me!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you get SH3Commander you can have any hull number you want.

WirMussen
10-05-2005, 04:00 PM
in my first career i used a type IX but got bored with the long patrols to pointless places, i like the north atlantic, not had many patrols in the med.

but as Kaleun1961 says, use SH3 commander to assign your own patrols (but not always AM52, unless you really are Otto Kretschmer). if i do get myself a type IX i will do that, but i plan on holding out for the type XXI.

my advise is not to use one unless you plan on assigning your own patrols, or like LONG patrols.

jooo9
10-05-2005, 04:18 PM
The type XXI isn't worth it, it costs too **** much and the war is almost over by the time you can get it. If you want a XXI you would be better off starting a new career with it so you don't have to wait 5 years.

Mark5001953
10-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Actually, Karl Doenitz preferred the Type VII boats and resisted construction of the Type IX's, for much the same reasons identified in these posts. Very interesting.....

Kaiser_W
10-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Right now I have two campaigns, one with a IX and one with a VII. I prefer the VII due to the agility of it, and the shorter cruises.

Baldricks_Mate
10-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by jooo9:
The type XXI isn't worth it, it costs too **** much and the war is almost over by the time you can get it. If you want a XXI you would be better off starting a new career with it so you don't have to wait 5 years.

Yeah, you've got a point there but the renown doesn't count for anything at the end anyway.

I like to hunt with an XXI and a belly full of acoustics...I like to hunt Allied warships very very much in late '44 and '45...bigger the better...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif It scares them when the hunters become the hunted. I have noticed a confusion about their ASW tactics when it don't go the way of the script.

I love the smell of <STRIKE>napalm</STRIKE> er... burning fuel oil in the morning.

paulhager
10-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Excalibur688:
Ok, it is Oct 1940 and im on my second career cause my first Kaptain got caught with his pants down...long story...lol. Anywho I was stationed in Wilhelmshaven for the start of my career and then got transfered to Brest and I was relieved that I got to take my trusty VIIB with me. Well after a few quick patrols and earning a grand total of 9800 renown and having a decked out VIIB, for 1940 that is...I transfered to Lorient to possibly get the IXB. Is she worth it.....I know there is issues about leaving Lorient but I dont mind the trip.....sometimes I enjoy those shoreline cruises and I'll go topside to look around.
Opinions and comments welcomed as always.

Shouldn't your topic be "IX-B or not IX-B, that is the question?" In any case, until this career, I made it a habit of going to the Type IX. However, I waited for the IX-C. I had some great patrols in the IX - particularly in my last career (I posted several accounts + screen shots from that career on this forum). If you don't mind long patrols then the IX is a good choice. (Note: you could transfer to the Med to avoid long patrols, however, it appears that there are no convoys there.) The large torpedo inventory means you can potentially get more kills per patrol. I also liked the increased firepower to deal with enemy aircraft.

This career I got a VII-C and have stuck with it. I'm up to patrol 21, late August 1942. My goal is to get a VII-C/41. Given the air attacks to which I've been subjected on this patrol, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll make it.

Trydan
10-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I personally prefer the Typ-VII series, regarding the Typ-VII/C as the ultimate.

The only advantage I can see going for the Typ-IX boats is the second stern tube. That allows you to fire two stern shots without a reload, which is advantage. Everything else is worse than the Typ-VII. While you may consider the extra torpedoes as meaning higher tonnages per patrol, those patrols are much longer and so there is no real gain in total tonnage, as you'll be doing far fewer patrols.

blastomatic1759
10-07-2005, 12:00 PM
yup im begining to see the light , those type IX's arent really all that , i was thinking it was gonna be great, a big ole ******ed boat with a bunch of torpedos. you do get some nice boat rides though, cause they send you all around the world. i think im gonna finish this career and then start over and stick with the type VII's . i kinda miss it now.