PDA

View Full Version : Historical Accuracy of COD aircraft skins

Doolittle81
02-13-2011, 01:45 PM
At the 1C forums there is a thread on historical accuracy of SOW:BOB (now COD) skins.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/s...?p=223593#post223593 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=223593#post223593)

I constructively pointed out some errors, or at the very least some odd choices for default skins, with regard to Unit code lettering, both RAF and LW.

I was repeatedly chastised for being unduly and prematurely critical, with the oft repeated comment that all the Screencaptures and videos of 2010 were nothing more than WIP's, 'fillers', and that Historical accuracy was guaranteed in the Release version.

I'll not reiterate the details of aircraft Code lettering here, nor comments on Unit Insignia....those interested can see the 1C thread, above. My last post there, today, comments that in spite of assurances even the most recent posts of Screencaps and even 'official' videos around the web (see the UBI trailer) show the same supposedly merely WIP acft skins...I wonder if the COD release will actually, in fact, have modified/improved/corrected the WIP acft lettering schemes.

Ba5tard5word
02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
That's the kind of thing I don't really care so much about in terms of the developer putting the effort into dealing with--I want them to create the best and most realistic flight engine. Then for realistic skins I expect it will mainly be up to the sim community to create and distribute skins, just like with Il-2. Some of the default skins in Il-2 are uuuuggglyyyy!

FlatSpinMan
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Interesting thread and well worthwhile mentioning it I think. Personally I'd love to be able to add lettering to the wings as the early units and trainers often did. With luck, perhaps the skin templates won't feature so much mirroring so they can at least be added that way, if not via in-game markings.The Spits do look funny.
I wouldn't say you were repeatedly chastised though. For that forum, things were fairly civil, despite disagreement. It does seem rather late in the game to be showing 'placeholders' and "WIP's", I agree, but all we can do is hope.

The suggestion of doing as RoF does and including good user made skins in updates is a great one I think.

RSS-Martin
02-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes that is a point that will be interesting! Especially on the Luftwaffe side, as around BoB units changed and so did the lettering and numbers.
Small example what was at the early period KG255 with the tacticalnumber 54 + became KG51 with the marking 9K +