PDA

View Full Version : Best System economically?

Haukeye
10-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, with the new update my system is running it fine (except having to run my GForce6800 in DirectX, but that's another story). I have an AMD Athlon 3500 with the Gforce and 1 gig of 3200 ddr. The problem is some of my friends are running slower cpu's with the same video card and getting slide show performance with the new IL2 patch. My question, what's the minimum system requirements, i.e., cheapest, in order to get the newest patch running smoothly?
I'm sure there are many here who'd like to know.
Thanks in advance.

Haukeye

Chuck_Older
10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
What version are your friends running, exactly?

Amnio
10-11-2005, 02:03 AM
You might want to point your friends to the IL-2 Setup Explained (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/6651075613/p/1) thread as the videosettings you run at has a great deal to say in what performance you get. Also the Pacific Fighters Tip and Tweaks (Post Patch) (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4501076732) thread contains some good information on both increasing performance and getting the most out of your card.

AlGroover
10-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Those setup specs make a big difference. I'm getting in game framerates of 25-30 with a 2.4P4 and a Ti4200 card with settings on 'high' and 'excellent'. Your friends' video cards are probably worth more than my whole computer.

Jumoschwanz
10-11-2005, 05:10 AM
What speed does the AMD 3500cpu run at? It is a 64-bit cpu. I have a 32-bit AMD xp3200 that runs at 2200mhz by default. The performance of the AMD 64-bit cpu does not seem to be any higher than the 32-bit Athlons at running 32-bit software when they are running at the same speed.

My motherboard is an Nforce2, I have a gig of KIngston ram, and I have the AGP version of the ATI x850xt.
I don't know what version of the nvidia 6800 you have, I know there is more than one. And I know that it is not as good a card as I have. Running DirectX instead of openGL has to be hurting you too.
I started a thread in the PF forum titled "Running 1200X1600res in perfect mode for less$" or something like that, it deals with how to run high settings smoothly for the least amount of dollars.

YOur rig seems up to the task except for your video card problems. Maybe some older drivers would let you run openGL? If you don't get that sorted out you will never get the most out of the system.
It seems there are always posts about problems with nvidia cards running this sim. The last nvidia card I bought was a GF3ti500, I am begining to think that was the last good card they made! Their latest offering looks good, but it is big bucks and my MB is AGP so I cannot use it.

IF your rig is AGP, with an ati9800pro you should be able to run 1200x1600 on Excellent with your rig. When I went from a 9800pro to the x850xt, I could run 1200x1600 in perfect mode smoothly with my old AGP/32-bit rig!

There is an awful lot of guys who invested big bucks in 64-bit rigs with SLI motherboards who cannot run the settings I do, I feel sorry for them. Taken in by mass marketing and consumerism.

The best system for the money right now would be an AMD xp2600M on an Nforce2 motherboard with a 400fsb, a gig of ram and the AGP ATI9800pro video card. This processor will run at 2200mhz easy, and this rig will run 1200x1600 at excellent setting very easily. If you pop for the AGP version of the x850xt, you would have the same rig as I do and you will be running the same high resolution in perfect mode with the new clouds to boot. This processor, MB and ram can be had for around $300, even with the x850xt video card and a SATA HD the cost of this tower would only be in the $800 range, maybe cheaper, and it will kick the A S S of almost any rig but the very latest and most expensive, and even then if any rig, no matter what the cost is set-up by someone who is incompetent, it may not run for SH it!

Jumoschwanz

Lucius_Esox
10-11-2005, 05:37 AM
Something is not right if your m8's getting slide shows. My sys is considerably "slower" than yours but I get 32 fps avg in the Black Death track in perfect mode.

XP2800, 9800 pro 128, gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo, s/blaster live 5.1, 768 pc2700. OS XP pro (sp2), direct x9.0c, 5.6 cats, up to date mobo and sound card drivers. This is at stock speeds for everything, and I am running 4.01 (at the moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Kurfurst__
10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Huh? I am running the most recent patch with a rather old and humble amd1600+, and have absolutely no problems with framerate... Il-2 is written in an excellent manner! online is different, but afaik the speed loss there is more to be blamed on your friends internet connection.

jimDG
10-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Haukeye:
Ok, with the new update my system is running it fine (except having to run my GForce6800 in DirectX, but that's another story). I have an AMD Athlon 3500 with the Gforce and 1 gig of 3200 ddr. The problem is some of my friends are running slower cpu's with the same video card and getting slide show performance with the new IL2 patch. My question, what's the minimum system requirements, i.e., cheapest, in order to get the newest patch running smoothly?
I'm sure there are many here who'd like to know.
Thanks in advance.

Haukeye

What's best economicaly is to not touch a PC for 3 years - then always play more than 3 years old games on a 2 years old hardware.
This ensures you'll play cheap games on a cheap hardware at max settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (and the games will actually _work_ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I used to do this for quite a while - but then I got rich and decided to buy top-notch hardware. So now I'm playing stuttering buggy games on very expensive hardware, on medium settings...and enjoy those games considerably less than I enjoyed Wolfenstein 3D http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Haukeye
10-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks to all who've posted here, I'm going to send the thread to my friend and he'll be happy.
I've a feeling he's got his install and patches screwed up. On a side note I went from a 9800Pro to the 6800 because of issues with the 9800Pro! I guess the grass always looks greener from the other side, eh? That's what I like about the IL2 community, you've all been extremely helpful, it's appreciated!!!
SALUTE!!!!

Haukeye

Haukeye
10-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
What version are your friends running, exactly?

It's actually one friend who's having problems. He just installed 401m on his system and claims it's unflyable even in single mode.
He's said it's almost a slide show, that he's getting little arrows in place of bullets, etc.
From the responses I've seen I'm sure he's got his install screwed up. I've emailed him this thread so he can read the posts for himself, far too much info for me to remember. Thanks for the help, it's appreciated!

Haukeye

Haukeye
10-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
What speed does the AMD 3500cpu run at? It is a 64-bit cpu. I have a 32-bit AMD xp3200 that runs at 2200mhz by default. The performance of the AMD 64-bit cpu does not seem to be any higher than the 32-bit Athlons at running 32-bit software when they are running at the same speed.

My motherboard is an Nforce2, I have a gig of KIngston ram, and I have the AGP version of the ATI x850xt.
I don't know what version of the nvidia 6800 you have, I know there is more than one. And I know that it is not as good a card as I have. Running DirectX instead of openGL has to be hurting you too.
I started a thread in the PF forum titled "Running 1200X1600res in perfect mode for less$" or something like that, it deals with how to run high settings smoothly for the least amount of dollars.

YOur rig seems up to the task except for your video card problems. Maybe some older drivers would let you run openGL? If you don't get that sorted out you will never get the most out of the system.
It seems there are always posts about problems with nvidia cards running this sim. The last nvidia card I bought was a GF3ti500, I am begining to think that was the last good card they made! Their latest offering looks good, but it is big bucks and my MB is AGP so I cannot use it.

IF your rig is AGP, with an ati9800pro you should be able to run 1200x1600 on Excellent with your rig. When I went from a 9800pro to the x850xt, I could run 1200x1600 in perfect mode smoothly with my old AGP/32-bit rig!

There is an awful lot of guys who invested big bucks in 64-bit rigs with SLI motherboards who cannot run the settings I do, I feel sorry for them. Taken in by mass marketing and consumerism.

The best system for the money right now would be an AMD xp2600M on an Nforce2 motherboard with a 400fsb, a gig of ram and the AGP ATI9800pro video card. This processor will run at 2200mhz easy, and this rig will run 1200x1600 at excellent setting very easily. If you pop for the AGP version of the x850xt, you would have the same rig as I do and you will be running the same high resolution in perfect mode with the new clouds to boot. This processor, MB and ram can be had for around $300, even with the x850xt video card and a SATA HD the cost of this tower would only be in the $800 range, maybe cheaper, and it will kick the A S S of almost any rig but the very latest and most expensive, and even then if any rig, no matter what the cost is set-up by someone who is incompetent, it may not run for SH it!

Jumoschwanz

Thanks Jumo, but where were you BEFORE I upgraded my rig??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I do appreciate your response, it's appreciated!!!

Haukeye

DaimonSyrius
10-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Haukeye:
[He's said it's almost a slide show, that he's getting little arrows in place of bullets, etc.

The arrows issue is due to one particular setting in the conf.ini file (in the main IL-2 folder). Tell your friend to find this line in the [game] section of conf.ini:

[game]
Arcade=1

and change that to Arcade=0

(Note: the arrows are useful once in a while to check things like gunnery, damage, etc.)

Since your friend is having other performance problems, my guess is that other settings are not optimal in his conf.ini. The links for tips posted above by Amnio should help.

If there are more than a few settings that seem wrong, a reinstall from scratch may be considered. Before doing that, I would suggest trying a shorter alternative:

-Make a copy of conf.ini and keep it as a backup, just in case.
-Run the setup utility (il2setup.exe) in the same folder before starting the game.
-Check each of the tabs in that utility (Driver, Video, etc.), see that the options are correct there, particularly the video card selection.

This will reset conf.ini with (hopefully) correct settings, maybe not the best for performance, but it can be then tweaked as needed (look at the tips links again).

Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

S.

Iron_Hand1
10-12-2005, 08:34 AM

The big difference there is the Bus speed. While the CPU's may run at the same megahertz the bus speed that the CPU's use to communicate with the other components shows an incredible difference.
For example, The Athlon 64 has two external buses. One to access to the RAM memory, and the other to access the chipset. This second bus is called HyperTransport. Theoretically this architecture is better, since there is only an external bus in the other processors, which is used to communicate with the chipset (the north bridge circuit), which is responsible for the communication both with the RAM memory and with the other circuits of the computer. In theory, the Athlon 64 can communicate with the memory and with the other circuits of the computer at the same time, something impossible in the other processors, for there is only one communication way.

Another advantage of the HyperTransport is that it has a path for the transmission of data and another one for its reception. In the traditional architecture used by the other processors, a single path is used both for the transmission and for the reception of data. In theory, the Athlon 64 can transmit and receive data to the chipset at the same time.

The HyperTransport bus works at 3,200 MB/s in each direction (as it was explained, this bus uses one transmission path independent from the reception path) and that is why it is listed as being a 6,400 MB/s bus, which is not true and is one of the main misunderstandings published in the market. In brief, it is as if we said that a highway has a speed limit of 130 MPH just because there is a speed limit of 65 MPH in each direction.

This bus works at 800 MHz, transferring two 16-bit data per clock pulse, reaching a performance as if working at 1,600 MHz.

Now I'm not talking about SLI, compared to your set up that's apples to oranges, But,
I would say that even though both CPU's run at the same speed that this makes for a huge difference, and if folks with those processors/mobo combos can't run as well as you are, they haven't learned all the tweaking secrets yet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S~