PDA

View Full Version : Considering Hunde's thread, should I get PF?

meina222
11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi all. I do not post much here, if at all, and have been absent for a while from the IL-2 community. I still do not have PF. I post this msg here because it relates to Hunde's huge 15 page (so far) thread.

My question is - considering the mostly negative reviews relating to the way the physics or flight model or world gravity or whatever it is called (Recon, help me here) i.e. the way the new game feels compared to earlier versions - should I get PF (just do not tell me to buy it simply to support 1C games, hats down to Oleg, Ilya, and their team) or stick with the existing 2.04 servers?

I definitely do not want to buy a sim that takes a step back in terms of 'hardness' and 'realism' of gameplay.

meina222
11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi all. I do not post much here, if at all, and have been absent for a while from the IL-2 community. I still do not have PF. I post this msg here because it relates to Hunde's huge 15 page (so far) thread.

My question is - considering the mostly negative reviews relating to the way the physics or flight model or world gravity or whatever it is called (Recon, help me here) i.e. the way the new game feels compared to earlier versions - should I get PF (just do not tell me to buy it simply to support 1C games, hats down to Oleg, Ilya, and their team) or stick with the existing 2.04 servers?

I definitely do not want to buy a sim that takes a step back in terms of 'hardness' and 'realism' of gameplay.

meina222
11-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Let me clarify a bit.

From the huge 15 page thread I still cannot figure if there is evidence substantiated by tests and tracks that WILL be or ARE being or HAVE been submitted to 1C's engineering and QA teams - i.e. assuming there is a problem (and right now I do not know if such exists since I do not have PF) is something being done about it?

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards, Milan

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2004, 09:21 PM
You should definitely buy it!

While there do appear to be realism problems with some of the new aircraft, overall it seems that the game is very solid in terms of accuracy.

Any problems that are clearly identified with solid references, tracks, and measurements are very likely to get fixed up in a future patch.

Until then, you will get to experience the joy of carrier ops, the thrill of flaming Oscars, the elation of sploding Franks, the rush of detonating Tonys... And you can even blast a bunch of Japanese aircraft out of the sky too!

If you buy the game you will support the continued development of this amazing sim system and you will always have the option of playing PF servers in addition to Aces and FB servers when you get online... By buying the game you will help ensure that you have more choice online, offline, and in the future...

TX-EcoDragon
11-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Certainly. . .

crazyivan1970
11-08-2004, 10:42 PM
without doubt, buy it

Takata_
11-08-2004, 11:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meina222:
Let me clarify a bit.

From the huge 15 page thread I still cannot figure if there is evidence substantiated by tests and tracks that WILL be or ARE being or HAVE been submitted to 1C's engineering and QA teams - i.e. assuming there is a problem (and right now I do not know if such exists since I do not have PF) is something being done about it?

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards, Milan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course there is a problem, many problems in fact: FMs are unfinished, like many other features; on-line game is not worth it, pauses, stutters, boring and unballanced planeset; off-line game is crippled as well with such dumb AI behaviors, tons of bugs and veryyy long flying...

very frustrating.

Takata

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2004, 11:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Takata_:
Of course there is a problem, many problems in fact: FMs are unfinished, like many other features; on-line game is not worth it, pauses, stutters, boring and unballanced planeset; off-line game is crippled as well with such dumb AI behaviors, tons of bugs and veryyy long flying... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

Where to start? There SEEM to be problems with SOME flight models but these issues have yet to be convincingly proven.

Pauses and stutters? I can't speak to this as I don't suffer this problem except when things get really busy ... my current Windows system is quite slow which obviously is the fault in my case. Most of the time though the game runs quite smoothly for me.

Boring and unbalanced planeset? Hmm, you're gonna have to speak to Grumman and Mitsubishi about THAT particular problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If the history doesn't interest you then, eh...

Off-line game crippled? Hmm, mine works.

Tons of bugs? A few, not too many... certainly not uncommon for a dot-oh release.

On line game not worth it? Dumb AI? Well if that's your opinion then you shoudn't buy ANY of the IL2 series as that must be your opinion of FB and Aces as well.

Very long flying? Yeah, I'd say that's a legitimate gripe... Some of the single-play missions involve a fair bit of flying to and from the target. But this is a very fixable problem.

Take Takata's irrational ranting with a grain of salt. He's entitled to dislike the game of course, but the way he phrases some of his reasons is wildly ridiculous.

clint-ruin
11-08-2004, 11:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AgentBif:
Take Takata's irrational ranting with a grain of salt. He's entitled to dislike the game of course, but the way he phrases some of his reasons is wildly ridiculous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BUT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND - IT'S THE WORST THING EVER! CHRISTMAS IS RUINED AND LITTLE BABY JESUS CRIES :&lt;

TX-EcoDragon
11-08-2004, 11:47 PM
This sim is unfinished. . . it has never been "finished" Oleg is here, he reads this stuff, they publish patches and updates, and they continue to improve the sim. There is no other group out there working at such a product in this way, it is clearly a labor of love and I for one have high hopes that this sim will continue to evolve as it always has.

I have AEP and AEP+PF running, that's my take on it anyway.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-09-2004, 12:28 AM
ACKKKK! Didn't see this thread until now!

YES, BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't confuse my concerns about the FM's in PF as a statement not to buy it. I am passionate about the sim because it (FB/AEP/PF) is the best piece of software I have ever owned. If the sim was just ok and I really didn't care I wouldn't bother posting concerns. Yes I have lost interest a bit but that is a result of other things as well (other real world concerns, long time player, joystick problems, etc.). Once I have a break for a bit I am sure I will be back with renewed vigor. This happens from time to time. Also notice that I just suggested a thread to be made as a sticky where people could post their positive experiences to offset some of the negative stuff (but some of this needs to be said/asked IMHO).

So do yourself a favor and buy it, you already know how great the support is. B-25, A-20 are awesome in their own right and are worth the price alone. We have more great stuff on the horizon, and don't forget about planes only available with merged install such as the AI Tempest. Soon there will be more I am sure, and they will be flyable so don't miss out.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi,

If you'd asked me a couple of days after getting PF, I'd have said to only get it if you fly online a lot because:

a. It runs ok online
b. You will have to before long because most servers will change over.
c. Offline campaigns have bugs (fixed, apparently, with the new DGEN) and large amounts of slowdown when lots going on.

I'd still say the same thing now as I've given up with offline campaigns until someone publishes the information I've repeatedly asked for regarding ways to turn down the number of AI/mission distances etc. in the config file.

Other points:
If you're a patriot get it - you can satisfy yourself with torching lots of 'bad guys' very easily http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It's possible that some of the bugs reported are due to dodgy video drivers; I had lots of crashes to desktop but I've also now appear to have eliminated them since moving away from the recommended video drivers.

The new twin engined planes are all excellent in their own right.

Unless you are absolutely desperate, a safe bet would be to wait until the patch comes out and judge the reaction to it from these forums.

Cheers,
Norris

JG5_JaRa
11-09-2004, 06:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AgentBif:
While there do appear to be realism problems with some of the new aircraft, overall it seems that the game is very solid in terms of accuracy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd have to put a very big "IMHO" there as the other thread pointed out the same problems with old planes as well and not only such that it would "appear" to be.
edit for clarification: the fact that there are problems with the "old" planes in PF does not mean that these problems (or at least most of them) were not already there in AEP, PF or even IL2. For discussing these problems, this doesn't make a difference. If you liked AEP and wonder if you'll like PF, it will.

But yes meina222, there's no reason not to buy the game as long as you spend any considerable amount of time playing games with flying stuff. Especially if you're playing online, you would be left in the dust if you wouldn't change to PF (or better AEP+PF) soon. Furthermore, if you are mainly interested in flying bomber operations, the issues discussed in the other thread won't affect you.

Fornixx
11-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Get it fool! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Never allow one impression of someone`s personal view of a game decide your actions.

Always make your own decisions.

Von_Zero
11-09-2004, 07:35 AM
UR STILL HERE???? If you're not back from the store with PF in your hands in the next 30 seconds i'll.... i'll.... i'll...... hmmmm... *lack of inspiration*...I"LL DO SOMETHING (as soon as i can think about anything..) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

joeap
11-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Get it before the whiners cause a patch that will make carrier landings impossible!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kwiatos
11-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Buy it and then play in Fb 2.04 these is only way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Get the sim. There are some flaws like in most software but nothing renders the sim unflyable amnd frankly I dont know what version of PF some of these guys are fling butmine works great. No stutters.. no hiccups.... sure perfect will give me issues with a lot of ships.. for some reason the smoke will definitely hit the frames... but like i said it is notheing that makes the sim unflyable. The FMs are decent and some of the older planes actually have improved FMs IMO. It is more than worth it to me and knowing that it will be improverd.. that any flaws will eventually be corrected males it a easy choice.

MOhz
11-09-2004, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Zero:
If you're not back from the store with PF in your hands in the next 30 seconds i'll.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the next person to ask this question will be shot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif, survivors will be shot again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif !! of course buy it

meina222
11-09-2004, 10:00 AM
OK,THANKS for passionate input, I'm definitely buying the game (I would have done so anyway since I'm curious to see if the negative feedback on FM, physics etc is justified.)

I'm concerned about it since I used to play a lot FB/AEP in dogfight servers, and there is nothing that can make me more disappointed than seeing that planes 'have lost their character' -Although I am not a technical expert (that's why dont ever attempt to post numbers charts etc) I am pretty sure that in reality different planes had very different feel and performance compared to each other (this was very well reflected in the original Il-2 - anyone remember the tutorial about spin recovery in a Bf109 - you cant see this anymore - required 2000m for recovery http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif - now is a lot easier.) and would hate to see the distinctions blurred for whatever reason (e.g. attract more non-hardcore players bc game feels easier.)