PDA

View Full Version : All you need to know about AoB

humjog
08-14-2006, 12:38 PM
First of all, I will start by saying how sorry I am for being too incompetent to post my wonderful picture which explains this topic so thoroughly. Here is how I manage to get AoB. (Estimation is NOT a good method of finding out this measure unless the target is immobile and is not too far away.)

I will count on the reader to be able to do simple functions such as mapping a target http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The only information needed is target€s course. Although there are probably a couple of ways of doing this, and I am sure there is a better way than mine, here is how I do it. Identify ship in ship recognition manual. Take a first reading of distance by aiming your periscope at the target's water line and bla bla bla. Write the distance plus target bearing on a sheet nearby. Then start your stop watch immediately as you will take another reading in 5 minutes. I like to pause the game will doing the mapping as your moving ship will modify numbers. (Certain map functions are not doable when the game is paused, just unpause do whatever you want to do (zoom, unzoom) then pause again) Now map the target ship using your distance and bearing. At this point, if you have not done so yet, plot a course that your estimate will intersect with the enemy. €¦ 4min 50 secs later. Get ready to do the same thing all over again. Be quite careful with precision as your torpedoes follow your numbers.
p.s. I know the p.s. doesn€t go here but if someone has a better way of identifying target€s course please post.

If you did the two reading correctly you have a lot of information on your target. Take out your ruler and click on your first mark and extend it to the second mark and beyond. This is the enemy€s course. Secondly, knowing that a knot is 1.852 km/h and that you know what distance the floating junk of metal managed to sail in five minutes, do the following calculation x(distance sailed in k/m)*12=12x. 12x is the distance he would sail in an hour. Then 12x/1.852 is your targets speed. (round this number off to the nearest whole number.

Now you got the speed and his course. FIRE!!! No just kidding, it€s not over yet. Now comes the €˜€hard part€€. This is the cue for you lazy simmers who don€t want to do too much calculating to stop reading and say to yourself, €˜€What the hell is the weapons officer paid for anyway? So, to find AoB you gotta do the following. 180-(your course(360- your course if over 180)+ bearing at which you see enemy)= z . Then Z €" target course (360 €" target course if target course is over 180) will give you AoB. Your going to have to trust me on this one. Once you have this AoB, but are not ready to fire yet, do the following. 180- (AoB +bearing at which you see target)= a special number. What you can do with this special number is awesome. As long as you and your floating prey stay on the same course, all you have to do to find AoB is special number - bearing at which you see your sexy reward. Cappich?

So that€s all for today, I know it€s not quite simple without the drawing that comes with it but €¦. If anyone tells of a program that allows me to create the drawing I will gladly do it. Any questions or comments? I€ll gladly pretend I€m smart and answer them.

p.s. please ignore this post if a similar one has been created.

humjog
08-14-2006, 12:38 PM
First of all, I will start by saying how sorry I am for being too incompetent to post my wonderful picture which explains this topic so thoroughly. Here is how I manage to get AoB. (Estimation is NOT a good method of finding out this measure unless the target is immobile and is not too far away.)

I will count on the reader to be able to do simple functions such as mapping a target http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The only information needed is target€s course. Although there are probably a couple of ways of doing this, and I am sure there is a better way than mine, here is how I do it. Identify ship in ship recognition manual. Take a first reading of distance by aiming your periscope at the target's water line and bla bla bla. Write the distance plus target bearing on a sheet nearby. Then start your stop watch immediately as you will take another reading in 5 minutes. I like to pause the game will doing the mapping as your moving ship will modify numbers. (Certain map functions are not doable when the game is paused, just unpause do whatever you want to do (zoom, unzoom) then pause again) Now map the target ship using your distance and bearing. At this point, if you have not done so yet, plot a course that your estimate will intersect with the enemy. €¦ 4min 50 secs later. Get ready to do the same thing all over again. Be quite careful with precision as your torpedoes follow your numbers.
p.s. I know the p.s. doesn€t go here but if someone has a better way of identifying target€s course please post.

If you did the two reading correctly you have a lot of information on your target. Take out your ruler and click on your first mark and extend it to the second mark and beyond. This is the enemy€s course. Secondly, knowing that a knot is 1.852 km/h and that you know what distance the floating junk of metal managed to sail in five minutes, do the following calculation x(distance sailed in k/m)*12=12x. 12x is the distance he would sail in an hour. Then 12x/1.852 is your targets speed. (round this number off to the nearest whole number.

Now you got the speed and his course. FIRE!!! No just kidding, it€s not over yet. Now comes the €˜€hard part€€. This is the cue for you lazy simmers who don€t want to do too much calculating to stop reading and say to yourself, €˜€What the hell is the weapons officer paid for anyway? So, to find AoB you gotta do the following. 180-(your course(360- your course if over 180)+ bearing at which you see enemy)= z . Then Z €" target course (360 €" target course if target course is over 180) will give you AoB. Your going to have to trust me on this one. Once you have this AoB, but are not ready to fire yet, do the following. 180- (AoB +bearing at which you see target)= a special number. What you can do with this special number is awesome. As long as you and your floating prey stay on the same course, all you have to do to find AoB is special number - bearing at which you see your sexy reward. Cappich?

So that€s all for today, I know it€s not quite simple without the drawing that comes with it but €¦. If anyone tells of a program that allows me to create the drawing I will gladly do it. Any questions or comments? I€ll gladly pretend I€m smart and answer them.

p.s. please ignore this post if a similar one has been created.

lecek
08-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Lecek's tips.

The best way to find AoB is to pass directly ahead of your target. I usually set it so that when I pass directly ahead of the target my bearing to target is either 270 or 90. Make note of your heading. In rough weather your sub will slowly turn on its own.

Then I back up or move forward to reach a good firing position 400-600 meters away from track. Sometimes I turn 180, whatever it depends on the easiest in the situation.

With this method and some practice you can get so acurate that the masts on the target line up right as the ship passes 0 degrees bearing in any weather. That is a perfect 90 degree shot folks.