PDA

View Full Version : ch pro pedals USB

nearmiss
01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Yow! I took'em back.

The pedals seemed rugged enough, but I could'nt get use to the hard spot in the center/middle travel position and the complete sloppy feel from high to low positions.

I know...these are supposed to be the best pedals, but to be honest they just did'nt feel real enough. Now...I talking about being applied to IL2 series aircraft, not the post korean war Jet type aircraft.

I thought I'd just put up a thread and maybe get some feedback on other options.

My twist handle rudder on the MSFT FF2 is working out fine, but it is gamer world (to be honest).

nearmiss
01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Yow! I took'em back.

The pedals seemed rugged enough, but I could'nt get use to the hard spot in the center/middle travel position and the complete sloppy feel from high to low positions.

I know...these are supposed to be the best pedals, but to be honest they just did'nt feel real enough. Now...I talking about being applied to IL2 series aircraft, not the post korean war Jet type aircraft.

I thought I'd just put up a thread and maybe get some feedback on other options.

My twist handle rudder on the MSFT FF2 is working out fine, but it is gamer world (to be honest).

ElAurens
01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I love my CH pedals. Totally bullet proof.
I could never go back to a twist stick. They did take some getting used to, but now they feel like an old comfortable pair of gloves....

Petrosky
01-10-2005, 04:47 PM
took me 6 weeks to adjust to them but would not give them up. now seems like very good rudder control to me, maybe you needed some software for them so you could fine tune to your tastes.

EJGr.Ost_chamel
01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
http://home.t-online.de/home/d-hofmann/homeeng.htm

That is where you get the best pedals for flight sims. Google for "simped review" or similar - I think they have only received outstanding reviews.

nearmiss
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm Ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif with other users being happy with them.

I read alot of good information before I bought them, but I wasn't as impressed as others seem to be.

Regardless, I guess you might say I'm fishing to find a better setup. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I also thought they were noisy.

marcocomparato
01-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Im pretty impressed with the SIMPED products. I have a few questions:

has anyone bought them in the US? do they ship here? Sorry to ask, but how much is 270 Uero in UncleSam dollars?

I read a review of these pedals that described an almost force-feedback effect, is it FFB as we know it in the west? (think i had to babelfish the article)

whats the one to have? the F-16 models? they in anyway superior to the Brakes model beside appearance? These would be used both for IL2 combat and also VFR/IFR small single-engine aircraft simulation as well. which would one suggest can fill both roles well (will be swapping out my X52 for IL2 to my C&H yoke wheel for FS sim - need the best for both worlds in one set of pedals)

Thanks for the info.

prop-head
01-10-2005, 05:17 PM
I treated myself to the full CH Products HOTAS USB rig (Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals) a few weeks before Christmas. They replaced my VERY ageing, 5+ year-old Thrustmaster FLCS-16 and TQS combo. I'd changed the potentiometers in the stick three (or was it four) times, and had to do some repairs to the worn gimbal mechanism as well.

Notice that I didn't mention the Thrustmaster Pedals? That's 'cause I built my own gameport pedals way back in '93, using only the cable from an extremely laughable, toy-like pedal unit I'd picked up and used for all of about one hour! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

My home-built pedals will last until the Second Coming. Seriously. The heart of the beast is a 3/4-inch diameter steel shaft riding in a pair of pillow block bearings.

The construction is of the up-down "rocker" type, not the more common fore-aft "sliding" type. Joystick-type potentiometers have a 30 degree range of useable rotation on either side of center (60 degree total range). But I didn't want my knees slamming into the underside of my desk, so I added a 3:1 gear pair so that the actual physical travel of the rocker bar is reduced to plus/minus 10 degrees. This allowed me to make the rocker "bar" fairly long, giving a wide spread between the feet, unlike the almost thigh-squeezing posture required by the narrower CH pedals (the TM pedals are wider than the CH unit, but I haven't tried them out).

The rocker "bar" is a shaped piece of 3/4-inch thick plywood, with cutouts for one's feet to poke into. The heels rest on the base board, which in turn is supported on the floor by four stout rubber feet. A pair of compression springs (one on each side) provide suitable resistance as well as positive recentering. Both feet can rest fully on the bar, with just a bit more pressure being provided by one foot or the other to induce the necessary action on the rudder. I'd bet a 300 pound guy could put his full weight on these things.

I had to go with the CH pedals because my own cannot be used with the USB stick/throtttle. However, when the CH pedals begin to wear out, I'll "port over" the electronics, and mine will be then USB compatible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Why not do the conversion now? Well, I thought I might as well give the CH unit a fair shake, even though for a couple of weeks I had to re-educate my feet! Not to mention that I'd spent almost $200 CAD on them! But with the sensitivity adjustment provided within the CH Manager software, I've now pretty well adjusted fully to the new ride. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

But to get back on topic, I do kind of like the CH Pro Pedals, in spite of my bias. The somewhat noticeable "thunk" as one passes the center isn't really that objectionable, and I can't detect any sloppiness in feel or response either. The main thing I have to work at, literally, is not allowing the toe ends of my hooves to relax fully and thus depress the hinged foot rests, especially during take-off and landing rolls when I don't want to apply wheel brakes.

Fliger747
01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
The CH pro (USB) pedals aren't perfect, but the next level of 'goodness' starts to run in the 400 buck and up range. They work pretty well, though the centering is bit notchy. You learn to 'get over it'..... For really fine feel where you need to make 'teensy' corections, one can trim things to the side slightly and work to one side of the notch. Having the aircraft in proper rudder trim is essential if you want to leave it in the centered position most of the time. Perhaps some day I'll take them apart and see if an 'improvememnt' is possible.

TheBug_880Sqn
01-10-2005, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by prop-head:
I had to go with the CH pedals because my own cannot be used with the USB stick/throtttle. However, when the CH pedals begin to wear out, I'll "port over" the electronics, and mine will be then USB compatible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use my gameport Thrustmaster Elite pedals with my USB FighterStick/Pro Throttle setup without any problems. I just had to tie the pedals in tandem with an old joystick(CH Flightstick). Just add a new joystick controller and enable rudder/pedals.

When I upgraded my computer though it did not come with a gameport installed so I bought a Joystick(gameport) to USB converter which also worked just fine.

Sorry for going off topic&lt;S&gt;

Bearcat99
01-10-2005, 07:19 PM
nearmiss you should have kept them. it took me a while to get used to them. How long did you have them?

nearmiss
01-10-2005, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
nearmiss you should have kept them. it took me a while to get used to them. How long did you have them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost 30 days, course I didn't sim but a couple times during the Holidays.

I tried a set of them about a year ago, and thought I'd give'em another shot. I wasn't any better satisfied this year as last.

What I might have to do is just buy a set, leave them in the box until the return period is up. Then I'll have to use'em, that might be the answer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Some of us really need that proverbial kick in the head to get it, eh.

Bearcat99
01-10-2005, 08:02 PM
It took some getting used to for me. It took me a while before I could relaz with them.. but oce I got the hang of them it is now like second nature. I find using a twisty stick totally unnatural....

Tully__
01-11-2005, 12:19 AM
You may find the Simped offerings more natural, the pedals are much further apart I believe.