PDA

View Full Version : Voice tracks are missing something...



Choctaw111
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
A lot of the vioce tracks sound so mundane and so boring. They are missing the sounds of urgency of warfare. If you check the voice tracks most of the time the pilots are being shot down and it sounds like they are not even worried about it. The only good tracks that I have heard are from the Germans. When they are being shot at or on fire they are actually screaming about it like they are about to die. That is real. Flying for the Germans and listening to your comrades as they scream in terror is very immersive and realistic. How many people like flying for a particular country and your wingman is in trouble but it sounds like he doesn't have a care in the world. WE NEED MORE SCREAMING AND YELLING FOR THE TRACKS WHERE A PILOT IS IN SOME KIND OF TROUBLE!!!! Has anyone else noticed this? I have never seen a post about this before. I had meant to post this a long time ago but always forget. Well this time I was flying and it came to my mind so I stopped and came here to post this. Overall the voice tracks need to sound like there is some form of excitement either in the terror of being shot down or the exuberance of getting a kill.

hobnail
12-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Play an Australian career http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kuna15
12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
When I think about them they are good (generally speaking); bad point is that I am used to them.
Anyhow RAF voice packs are the best for me. I feel all vp should look a bit like RAF ones (squeeking&distortions etc. in background).

Maverick_MW
12-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Thats just the British stiff upper-lip for you. What what!!

Choctaw111
12-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Hobnail:
Play an Australian career http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have never played for Australia before. You are right. There is some good chatter in there. I would still have to say that the German chatter is the best. It just seems that there is more feeling and emotion there. The Aussies have some good tones to theirs as well. In fact I am going to fly some Australian missions now just to hear the chatter.

tomtheyak
12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
You'd be surprised how some people react in high stress situations.

Johnny Johson gives a couple of examples in his book Wing Leader; on one occasion when bounced by 190s one Spitfire plummets flaming to the sea, it's occupant(instead of trying to escape) screaming and cursing his squadron mates for letting him die.
At the other end of the spectrum someone on a mission is clearly heard to say something along the lines of "This is it chaps. Someone look after my dog."

I feel that some of the radio calls are quite realistic - you do hear the frustration as someone cries out "get this b*stard off me!" during an offline dogfight and cries of "aaaargh!" as someone is hit.

Personally I feel the German ones are perhaps a little overly theatrical, but then I havent flown with any WW2 vet German flyers and can't say whether its right or wrong! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The one thing that cheeses me off is someone calling out "I'm hit!" or "I'm bailing out!" the instant that they pile into the deck! Thats some zen sh*t right there! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Bearcat99
12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
You shoulsd have heard some of the English ones from IL2...... "This....is..... three... get....him.....of...me...."

MonkeyHero
12-22-2005, 11:24 PM
What about the US bomber pilots of questionable sexual orientation? They're the absolute worst I've heard so far from this game.

lowfighter
12-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
When they are being shot at or on fire they are actually screaming about it like they are about to die. That is real.

If the same pilot (actor) would use randomly let's say 10 variants of screaming I would agree. But hearing the same scream all the time it makes the thing actually look irreal and a fake! So I prefer something more moderate and as already mentioned not that theatrical (tomtheyak), and my vote is for the English and Russian pack (perhaps the russian pilots sound a bit too cool blooded overall) in this respect. I like the Australian pack too, if this one was just a little more temperate IMHO it would beat all the other official packs. About the sexual uncertainty of some US voices, sad but true joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Yes, if someone would attempt another US voice pack, I would be very happy!

Dimensionaut_
12-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Or try the Dutch speechpack (it came with 4.01) that has some effect too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And the replacement gunner (Indonesian) really goes mad at some points.

But actually recording it is quite hard.

Say "Here red three, HELP ME!" is made out of two wav-files

The Here Red Three is used for every call, so you have to find an average for 'dry' and exiting calls for that part.
And mixing a dry "here red three" with a very excited "Help me!" gives a silly effect.

Recording a speechpack is quite some work.
You need to do it carefully and that takes hours per actor.
Unfortunately there are not many wav's in the game to make a lot of variation for panic calls.

Let's hope we will get more chance of variation in BoB.

lowfighter
12-23-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Serval_1JaVA:

Unfortunately there are not many wav's in the game to make a lot of variation for panic calls.

Let's hope we will get more chance of variation in BoB.

Serval I noticed that some .wavs have variants, e.g. the "hell" for actor 1 has hell.wav, hell1.wav, hell2.wav, hell3.wav, and these are randomly heard in game. I'm wondering how high this index (1, 2 3,...) could go such that we hear say hell44.wav. Furthermore there are wavs which have no variant for example "my guns are empty.wav". Suppose I record another wav and call it "my guns are empty1.wav". Will I hear it in game? If the answer is yes then we have the tools to enrich the packs! What do you think?

Dimensionaut_
12-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Only 2 ot 3 variants are used. You can make as many as you want, but not all are used.

The wav's used for Russian and German are also a little different. Since early in the custom speechpacks someone merged the two of them, many speechpacks do have a few more variations then actually used.
So, recording more danm and hell variants will not create more variation.

All you can do is make sure that each actor uses as much variation as possible.
And then that for the same wav (actors 6 to 9 are largely the same, apart from some callsigns) each actor says different things.
So for help me.wav one should say "Help me" another "help" and the third "I need help".
That is something I would improve to the Dutch speechpack if we were to record one again.

But with thinking of those variations you must also be aware that there are various variations for texts that actually mean the same and that the name of the wav file is so much different that they are listed far apart when you look in the dorectory sorted by filename.

There are scripts that can help you. I'll look them up as well as the noise files.

lowfighter
12-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Serval_1JaVA:
Only 2 ot 3 variants are used. You can make as many as you want, but not all are used.

The wav's used for Russian and German are also a little different. Since early in the custom speechpacks someone merged the two of them, many speechpacks do have a few more variations then actually used.
So, recording more danm and hell variants will not create more variation.

All you can do is make sure that each actor uses as much variation as possible.
And then that for the same wav (actors 6 to 9 are largely the same, apart from some callsigns) each actor says different things.
So for help me.wav one should say "Help me" another "help" and the third "I need help".
That is something I would improve to the Dutch speechpack if we were to record one again.

But with thinking of those variations you must also be aware that there are various variations for texts that actually mean the same and that the name of the wav file is so much different that they are listed far apart when you look in the dorectory sorted by filename.

There are scripts that can help you. I'll look them up as well as the noise files.

Thanks for clarification and files!

Aero_Shodanjo
12-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Serval_1JaVA:
Or try the Dutch speechpack (it came with 4.01) that has some effect too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
And the replacement gunner (Indonesian) really goes mad at some points.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif are you sure?

Monty_Thrud
12-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Does anyone know where i can get an Italian speech pack from?

LEBillfish
12-23-2005, 10:21 AM
You must admit though........The best announcement is when anyone....of any side gets shot down.....The second they become a smoking hole the base controller angrilly announces;

"Number X, return to base immediately!"
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

lowfighter
12-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
You must admit though........The best announcement is when anyone....of any side gets shot down.....The second they become a smoking hole the base controller angrilly announces;

"Number X, return to base immediately!"
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

An equally nice one is: I crash and die together with my il2 gunner and 5 seconds after I hear him admonishing me (probably from paradise) "What are you doing???!!!"

Kuna15
12-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey @ lowfighter try to pull some negative Gs on Sturmo and rear gunner will complain... "Dmn What are you doing?!?". I wish I can reply to him, "that is precisely why you are a gunner and not pilot. You can't handle it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif".

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lowfighter
12-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Kuna15:
Hey @ lowfighter try to pull some negative Gs on Sturmo and rear gunner will complain... "Dmn What are you doing?!?". I wish I can reply to him, "that is precisely why you are a gunner and not pilot. You can't handle it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif".

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've silenced this "what are you doing" of my gunner forever: I went to the speech patch identified the offending sound file and renamed it, actually I'm thinking of putting it back but with the folowing message: "very good lowfighter, impressive flying" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Aaron_GT
12-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I was one of the voice actors for the RAF pack and a previous poster has the correct idea. One of the problems is that a voice snippet played in the game is made from many smaller ones that are recorded so "This is Red Three" (or whatever) has to match up in general tone with whatever follows which might be something innocoupus direction, or announcing you are going down in flames. Some voice actors managed to inject more fear into the latter and yet still get it to match up with the first half than I could manage so I went for a more measured delivery across the board, which also has the effect of giving variety in reactions between voice actors. It's not perfect by any means, though, but sadly Martin Jarvis was not available from what I understand http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.