PDA

View Full Version : Joys Of the PC

UKBadger
03-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Ahhhhh the challenge of the successful PC linkup.

I'm really not the brightest match in the box when it comes to PC tech stuff and getting "1946" to run on my antiquated rig has been quite a challenge for my hard pressed gray matter. (With a little help here at the forum)

Although I've now flown with each of my friends individually, our fledgling squadron of three has even now yet to make it off the ground all at the same time in a proper co-op mission. A situation which I'm really hoping will change tomorrow when we try yet again.

The first breakthrough was my discovery of "Hyperlobby". This effectively brought to an end our collective head scratching over the fact that the "in game" multi-player setup screens seemed to do.... well pretty much nothing really.

But it wasn't plain sailing, oh no. We could join other peoples games, but couldn't host out own. Enter "community help forum" and it's advise on "Port Forwarding". Too much for this Badger to take on board I'm afraid, but happily within the scope of my two squad mates, both of whom built their own PC'S. (Flash Buggers!)

Also for some reason "Hyperlobby" had the strange habit of causing a disk error on my system (only mine) which said that I was using a copy of "1946" and should take it out and use the original instead.

A little tricky to do obviously considering that I never had a copied disk in the first place! But restarting seemed to resolve this issue when (with annoying frequency)it occurred. Unfortunately, Hyperlobby's insistence on a complete restart of the game at every failure, meant an increased probability of seeing the message more often! (Erm.. did that make sense to anyone?)

Then somebody suggested we try "All Seeing Eye" and sure enough for whatever reason it cut the error message down hugely. (Though it didn't eliminate it completely.)

ASE's architecture was more complicated to get to grips with and we spent most of last weeks session trying to add each other to our friends lists and see the server which our host was creating! But eventually we were ready to rock and roll and with no time left for our long awaited co-op mission, we settled for a quick dogfight instead.

Well this Sunday the battle lines are finally drawn and we are ready to take to the virtual skies for our co-op debut....... or are we!!?

Meeting up with the host mid week for a quick test ("belt and braces" dontcha know.) I have now discovered with horror, that while I can link up with him for Dogfight action, we I can't link for a co-op!! (Oh for goodness sake!!)

Our other squadmate has no such issue, it seems it's only me.

Quickly switching to "Hyperlobby" I find that I have no such problems joining the co-op... but of course am then subject to the fickle whim of that odd disk error.

Until last year I hadn't had a PC for a long while after my old one died and it's funny but I really didn't realize how much "console gaming" was spoiling me (for all its lack of variety and depth)in the department of multi-player linkups.

I'd quite forgotten all the hair pulling, the nail biting.. the general running and screaming, which goes hand in hand with trying to make PC's play nice together. But now I'm beginning to remember..oh yes.

I still have a little patience left. I've dug deep into my reserves (so very deep) and pulled out a little of the old bulldog spirit. Connection problems? We will fight them on the beaches!!!!

But how much longer can I last out? Beset at every turn by niggles and hassles and with the sweeeet sweeet voice of my 360 calling out to me. "Come plaaaay with meeeeee, I'm cheap and eeeasy, but I love you longtime!"

Meanwhile our seemingly impossible mission continues. Will we ever fly a co-op mission as a Squadron? Only time will tell my friends, only time will tell.

Badger

general_kalle
03-22-2008, 04:19 AM
sounds like you hard drive could do with a reformation (is that the correkt word?)

Hyper lobby is far better than All Seeing Eye, at least that's my opinion so i'd rather try to fix you computer

do you have any pc problems elsewhere or is it only HL?

UKBadger
03-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks General http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm just telling the tale around the campfire here, rather than looking for solutions. I've put a couple of posts in "community help" hoping for crumbs of wisdom.

All the same I'm sure you're right about it being a problem on my system. I inherited it second hand from a good friend who built it himself (not one of my squad mates funnily enough)and ever since it's had it's ... little eccentricities.

Being a tech dunce I of course have no way to remedy them, short of an expensive trip to a PC repair shop and so instead I have learned to live with and love all its little squeaks and crackles.

But you're not the first person to suggest "defragging" (I'm guessing that's what you meant)and strangely enough while poking around the "Start" button the other day I saw the option to do that! So I think I might give that a whirl.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Badger

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome (back) to the precarious world of PC-gaming. Since it's a hobby of mine, I rather enjoy some of the linear troubleshooting that a successful online venture may entail.

I'll give it some thought and repost.

Worf101
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
"Welcome back to the fight, this time I know our side will win."

Hope to see you in the "unfriendly skies" some night.

Da Worfster

UKBadger
03-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome chaps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In fact our latest attempt at a co-op debut never happened in the end. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif But for once it had nothig to do with anybodies technical specs and hopefully it'll happen next Sunday instead.

Badger

Skarphol
03-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Badger, your story is som similar to what I have experienced! And I feel that I am slightly more technical-minded than you seem to be. At least I put together my own computers.

I remember a few years ago when I was first trying to join a coop through Hyperlobby.

We had fruitlessly tried to connect for more than an hour, and I was just sitting like a bag of potatoes staring into the screen.

My wife asked: "What are you doing?".
"I'm playing with my squadmates on the net".
"You haven't moved a muscle for the last 40 minutes!"
"I know. We are connecting!"
"Is it fun to fly togehter on the net?"
"Yes"
"It doesn't seem like fun"
"It is. I guess. I'll give it another 30 minutes. If we haven't managed to hook up by then, I'll go to bed."

Oh.. those were the days..
Now, I seldom fly online, the hack took care of that..

Skarphol

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Skarphol:
My wife asked: "What are you doing?".
"I'm playing with my squadmates on the net".
"You haven't moved a muscle for the last 40 minutes!"
"I know. We are connecting!"
"Is it fun to fly togehter on the net?"
"Yes"
"It doesn't seem like fun"
"It is. I guess. I'll give it another 30 minutes. If we haven't managed to hook up by then, I'll go to bed."

Skarphol

LMFAO! that's some funny stuff right there...only because I've experienced almost the exact same conversation.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
My scenario is usually like this:
Me: "I'm gonna go fly for awhile."
Her: "Ok, don't stay on too long."
Me: "Ok."
Me: *check forums for any news*, *check to see if any squad m8's are on*, *get on TS, HL, etc.*, *chat with the guys for a minute*, *try to figure out which server we want to fly on*, *start to load a server*, *pick a base*, *pick an AC*, *start my engine*, *take off*, *spot a target*
Her: "Are you done flying in there, I need some help in the kitchen!"
Me: "(@#%#$&*#%!), Coming honey!"

ffb
03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
well at least she loves you enough to call you Honey!.....it can't be all bad then.. http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

My main hot computer is in my wife's and my digital photo studio in our small town here in thailand ....it is pretty quiet most of the time...in the last three years business has dropped....most people who can afford a digicam have got one....and all the teenagers have something on their phone to take pix too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

so i have plenty of time to surf and play il2.....my wife sits in another part of the studio on her computer (my 2nd best which was replaced by this one)

up until I got this new one three months ago, I used to be quite active on HL and ran a few co-ops...but since I got the new one I haven't been able to get my port forwarding done so cannot host....and my wife has discovered the joy of on-line gaming too....and plays CABAL day and night.....so I can never get any bandwidth

still....as an active member of the mod community i don't mind so much

cmirko
03-26-2008, 04:07 AM
hi UkBadger,

since there are a few COOP_ded servers at HL and ASE i think you will not have too many problems joining one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

click on my sig for more instructions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

btw, IP of 102nd_COOP_ded is 161.53.204.25 -> you can join with that ip directly from il2 multi player screen