PDA

View Full Version : how many times has it been said...

Eagle1_Division
08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
1 thing I noticed, I make it so im flying a "unflyable" aircraft in the FMB and it says:"Select plane has no cockpit" how about making it so that u can fly planes w/ low-rez cockpits, i dont care if the gauges are a bunch of blurs in the TBM-3 or Kate, i just want to fly them!

Another idea is just to copy and paste the gauges from other aircraft to the unflyable ones and make them flyable? it should be so increadibly easy...

Oddly enough, when theres a discussion on flying the Kate and TBM-3/Avenger thats been going on sence the game was realesed and ubi soft promised to make them flyable, y is it they add the hardly-mentioned aircrfat and not the 1's that pop up so often?

and last but not least y encode all the files, modding makes some of the great games soo much better like BF42 and BF2. Modding is a GREAT asset, so y encode all the files

Does maddox and oleg even care? it just seems so odd...

im probolly sounding really critical and mean but these are things that have been bugging my for quiet awhile and i just want to know.

Its alerady a great game, but the point of forums, or 1 of the main points, is to find the downside and make a game better.

steve_v
08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
The engine for this sim was released almost 5 years ago, and will be completed with release of the last three add-ons. It is you, not "maddox", that needs to get up to speed.

VW-IceFire
08-31-2006, 05:24 PM
What you don't understand is that Oleg is a perfectionist. More than most I think realize or comprehend. When he does a WWII plane...the cockpit or exterior...little matters to him except for the fact that the plane is done properly in the way it matches the blueprints to an exacting amount. My gripes are that the markings, particularly on more recently added aircraft, are less acturate than I want them to be, but the aircraft themselves are done to exacting precision.

Oleg doesn't go halfway on much of anything unless he really has to but he definately does not do half cockpits, or blurry textures, or virtual cockpits, or anything of that sort. The thing is done all the way or not at all.

I don't necessarily agree with how that plays out...I think we've missed on some opportunities and some aircraft have been missed that should have been first in the sim...but I respect the philosophy.

Finally...the files are encrypted and encoded not because Oleg doesn't want the community to have fun...but to protect the community. Online cheating in games like CFS2 and CFS3 made multiplayer a horrid experience. He hates cheaters and so do many of us...the reason IL2 multiplay is so powerful and has lasted so long is because the game is well protected. Not perfectly but well.

I remember when I first saw cheating in an online game. I was playing a game of Battlezone...the remake. I went in a game and one guy was cheating away and had this huge base in under a minute that he should never have been able to build. The match was over...he won...everyone else in the game lost...and it was no longer fun.

That experience taught me that I'd rather sacrifice some ability in the game to be able to play a game free from that sort of garbage. IL-2's done that well.

As I understand it...Storm of War goes both ways. The game is well protected but offers a sandbox mode where you can modify and add all sorts of things from objects to maps to planes. If I understood the comments correctly...the best work would become part of the game later on.

I think thats an awesome incentive and we'll see how it goes.

-HH-Quazi
08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Very well stated m8!

VF2_Sarge
08-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
What you don't understand is that Oleg is a perfectionist. More than most I think realize or comprehend. When he does a WWII plane...the cockpit or exterior...little matters to him except for the fact that the plane is done properly in the way it matches the blueprints to an exacting amount. My gripes are that the markings, particularly on more recently added aircraft, are less acturate than I want them to be, but the aircraft themselves are done to exacting precision.

Icefire...I agree with everything you said but this above.

You don't you think that there is just a little over or under modeling in the game?

And if Oleg is the perfectionist like you claim he is...what's up with the AI activity? I understand that it is hard to say what a human would do, and having AI is even harder to replicate it..but come on.

Don't you think your pumping that ball up just a little to much?

Eagle1_Division
08-31-2006, 08:14 PM
thx, I like knowing but I still find it odd that planes that ppl seldom mentioned are made flyable when we are still to see the often mentioned "carrier-based torpedo bombers" in the meantime I think i'll just c if I can get off the deck in a A-20 or G4M then land w/ gear up, bc theres that famus strike the hornet made w/ either B-25's or A-20's I think it was B-25's but thats unrealistic... and I never meant it very criticly, im just still waiting for those torpedo bombers I fantasize about flying... though it might get a little erritating flying slow and low, the formula to get shot down (the A-20 at least is big and has armor, same w/ G4M Betty and B-25) though i'd still like to fly 1, or get lost in the burmuda triangle while flying a Dauntless (; but i do have to admit, ive played games where ppl cheat and it sux, its like they're cheating to do good at a game to componsate for how bad they are at life... -I HATE Spawncampers on BF42, BF2-

BTW- how do u get those little words above ur avatar?

EDIT-hes a perfectionest, im a i-dont-know-what, i either post a very large amount, or none at all

Eagle1_Division
08-31-2006, 09:07 PM
OHHH YA! I FRIGGIN DID IT! I took off of a carrier in a A-20G w/ a torpedo, the trick is to set fuel to 25%! EDIT: I always thought flaps made it worse about getting in the air faster, but apparently the drag helped somehow...

I landed twice, but the plane went to the right and crashed into the control tower, one time I exploded and another time I forgot to get rid of my torpedo and exploded on the back of the carrier and sank it (;

EDIT: OHH YEAH!!! I FRIGGIN DID IT AGAIN! I LANDED ON THE CARRIER!!! (: http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif but of course i made my engines "inoperable" i forgot to turn them off (:

Tooz_69GIAP
08-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Eagle1_Division:
OHHH YA! I FRIGGIN DID IT! I took off of a carrier in a A-20G w/ a torpedo, the trick is to set fuel to 25%! EDIT: I always thought flaps made it worse about getting in the air faster, but apparently the drag helped somehow...

I landed twice, but the plane went to the right and crashed into the control tower, one time I exploded and another time I forgot to get rid of my torpedo and exploded on the back of the carrier and sank it (;

EDIT: OHH YEAH!!! I FRIGGIN DID IT AGAIN! I LANDED ON THE CARRIER!!! (: http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif but of course i made my engines "inoperable" i forgot to turn them off (:

Fantastic that you are trying different stuff with carriers! My squad regularly uses carriers with IL-2Ts, B-25s, A-20s, Beaufighters, and lots of other stuff.

Have you tried taking a G4M1-11 Betty off a stationary carrier with a torpedo? Believe it or not, take off speed is achieved at 90kmh IAS!!!! I was astounded. 50% fuel, rads fully open, landing flaps, full power, a little positive elevator trim (just a little), and let her go! She'll jump off the deck! Just keep a steady hand, and you'll be fine!

Also, if you're landing odd aircraft on the deck, a wee trick is to use prop pitch to aid you in controlling your speed on appraoch. That's how I managed to first land the Beaufighter and A-20 on the deck.

Tully__
09-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Eagle1_Division:
1 thing I noticed, I make it so im flying a "unflyable" aircraft in the FMB and it says:"Select plane has no cockpit" how about making it so that u can fly planes w/ low-rez cockpits, i dont care if the gauges are a bunch of blurs in the TBM-3 or Kate, i just want to fly them!

Another idea is just to copy and paste the gauges from other aircraft to the unflyable ones and make them flyable? it should be so increadibly easy...

Oddly enough, when theres a discussion on flying the Kate and TBM-3/Avenger thats been going on sence the game was realesed and ubi soft promised to make them flyable, y is it they add the hardly-mentioned aircrfat and not the 1's that pop up so often? There are legal issues surrounding some aircraft that we've been instructed not to discuss here. The information is around if you want to make some use of the search function, but no further discussion will be permitted.

and last but not least y encode all the files, modding makes some of the great games soo much better like BF42 and BF2. Modding is a GREAT asset, so y encode all the files

Does maddox and oleg even care? it just seems so odd... The encryption is deliberate. Many online game communities have suffered a great deal of unrest and disorderly conduct as a result of open code being exploited to manufacture cheats and a number of games that were supposed to provide a realistic experience promptly ceased to be anything like realistic when user made weapons/vehicles/aircraft made their way into the game with outrageously unrealistic performance. 1C:Maddox made a conscious decision to forgo the flexibility of open code and encrypt their software, choosing instead to provide support from the development team to add user made models into the game engine if the 3D models were up to their standards. Some of the aircraft you've expressed a desire for have been modelled, but the results were poor quality and they were consequently rejected.

Eagle1_Division
09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Your Squadren? Anyhow I'd like to involved by the sound of this stuff, this is a very nice forum. and u said u take off from carriers in the IL-2T? I have a Kate skin for the IL-2 if u want it, not that I know how to make it downloadable, u'd just have to save image as (; Funny thing is, only after i made the skin i realized i had used the green camo for the val, not the kate. Heres an idea: u can take off from a carrier in a HE-111 if done well, (i think, not that ive tried) they can carry 2 torpedoes, might even sink a cruiser (: As for taking off in a G4M1-11, i dont use much in the way of radiator and all that stuff, im mostly a novice... though i DO play it on realistic accept for external view, though im not much good at shooting down much... simple thing is the radiator has 8 positions, thats alot to remember for all of the stunts and stuff, i just use flaps, airbrake, throttle, mix, and all my weapons. I dont even angle the props, its a simple fact of the limitation of the numbers on the keyboard, theres a lot of commmands, lol. wouldn't be a simulater w/out them.

and tully, just so u know when i said "does maddox care that much? it seems so odd" i meant the planes that weren't often requested when the Kate and TBM have gotten old, and im afraid to ask, but which paragraph do u mean by legal Issues? though i do c y they would encrypt the files, good idea and bad, but i'd say the sandbox idea for BoB is probolly the best, ive heard some preatty good stuff about that game.

BTW: Do u mean landed on the deck w/ gear down? now THATS just unrealistic.(might be able to if the carrier is headed at flank and u've got a perferably loaded B-25, though u'll explode if u hit the deck too hard w/ bombs)Though it would be preatty nice if the planes had arresting hooks. BTW: it was eiser getting off the deck in a A-20 w/ a torpedo then getting off the deck in a SBD w/ a 1600 lber.

Eagle1_Division
09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Im not alone!:

Originally posted by Lodovik:
Proposition for handling flyable AC in future sims:

-Current sims have AC divided into flyable and AI controlled ones. People are allways demanding more and more flyables no matter how many a sim allready includes.
This is all well in keeping with historical completeness, but places enourmous amount of work for dev team and or third party modellers.

-One way of working around the problem with minumum amount of work would be to make a rudimentary proto-cockpit for all the AC in the sim, thus making them all flyable.

-Such a cockpit would only include the barest neccessary details, such as gunsights and canopy bars. It would not contain litlle or no textures and the instrumentation would be generic and the same for all the planes using the proto-pit. Such generic pits would not need to be pretty or historically accurate, but functional. Their purpose would be to enable the AC to be flyable.

-Multi crewed AC could have rudimentary gunnery and bombardier positions with generic bomb sights etc (Such a situation can be seen in FB/PF family allrwady to some extent).

-The result would be that when released, the sim would have two sets of AC awailable: The finished, "quality" AC and the ones with rudimentary pits waiting for the finishing touches.
All could be used in mission building, however, wich would be a significant benefit for historical mission building, movie makers and museum presentations. Any DF server could still decide not to use any unfinished AC models if they so wished, ofcourse.

-An even simpler method would be to enable all the planes to be flyable from the "No Cockpit", or Arcade mode.

-For such an approach to be possible I think the sim AI must use the same flight and damage models as human players.

-They called me mad at the forum, but history shall prove my genius... This Treasure was in the Maddox suggestion forum! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif I Aprrove of this QUOTE

Xiolablu3
09-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I was playing a game of Battlezone...the remake.

That game was frickin AWESOME mate!

The sesuel BZ2 was even better. Wonderful graphics for the time, they blew me away. It was like plying Command and Conquer with pilotable tanks and stuff. It was SO ahead of its time.

I wish they would make Battlezone 3. Imagine how great that would be nowadays http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Eagle1_Division
09-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Do u mean Battlezone: Rise of the black dogs? thats for computer too! (: loved that game.