PDA

View Full Version : FSAutoStart greatly improves frame-rates!

major_setback
10-29-2005, 08:22 AM
This in in response to a thread showing how many (lots) of processes are going on in the background whilst you happily sim...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m...251060173#1251060173 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/1251060173/r/1251060173#1251060173)

Try 'FSAutoStart'.
FSAutoStart is FREE !!!!!

DOWNLOAD from the authors site:

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

From the readme:

'Version 1.1 (Build 11)
Written by Ken Salter

Description:

FSAutoStart allows the user the ability to automatically shutdown services and programs to provide as much resources to running today€s most demanding applications. It also provides the ability to launch selected programs before the application is launched. Lastly, it can automatically restart those programs and services previously shutdown, thus bringing the computer back to its original state. It also adds some performance enhancing options like Defragment Memory.'

The first time you run it it takes a while for the game to start up. This is because it forces the 'Idle Task' function to run (XPs version of 'scandisc'? which only usually runs when the computer is idle). This delay can also happen when it's beeen a while scince 'idle task' last ran.

I run it first once, and then again after 2 minutes in the sim (I exit the game and then run it once more). This frees up lots more memory (according to the FSAutoStart stats). Running it the second time around goes about ten time quicker than the first run.

There is a guide to tell you which programs/processes you can saftely shut down (and this briefly tells you what they do aswell).

I always shut down my internet connection, firewall, and anti-virus manually before running FSAutoStart. This seems to give less problems with it hanging (this happens occasionally!). I re-start everything before going online of course!

Everything you have shut down re-starts on exiting the sim (provided you ticked the 'stop and re-start' option next to the listed process).

If it does 'hang' or fail to work in any way YOU ONLY HAVE TO RE-START YOUR COMPUTER AND YOUR OLD SETTINGS WILL BE RESTORED. ie. there is always an easy escape!

All the above is however from my own personal experience of the utility - I have never had a problem with it - others may have found it less satifactory.

Once set up: Three mouse clicks will shut down masses of uneccessary processes/programs (50 at my own last count) and launch your sim.

Note: the memory defrag' works wonders!

Feathered_IV
10-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Sounds great. Thankyou for sharing this.

Out of curiosity, what level of improvement can we expect and what sort of improvement do you experience personally?

major_setback
10-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Sounds great. Thankyou for sharing this.

Out of curiosity, what level of improvement can we expect and what sort of improvement do you experience personally?

This is difficult to answer. The utility shows how much memory is available both before and after running it, however exactly what type of memory this refers to I'm unsure of.

I just quickly started it up and shut down, and got a reading of 135 MB ('Free physical memory at start'). This is before shutting down any utilities.

Normally when I run it though:

After shutting down internet/firewall/antivrus AND after running AD-Aware (pop-up cleaner etc) I have about 200MB free BEFORE starting FS AutoStart (this is according to FSAutoStart). This inceases to around 400MB free space after running it twice (the most I have gotten recently was 480MB).

Even running it once give an improvement (around 320 MB free physical memory).

I notice the difference if I don't run it! The sim responds a lot more sluggishly if I don't use it.

I have a Ti4600 and 512MB DDR RAM, (P4 3.06Ghz)

Note: I only shut down programs/utilities that FSAutostart recommends closing, plus anything internet related - as I don't play online). If I'm unsure about shutting anything down I will just leave it alone!

jds1978
10-29-2005, 11:28 AM
i just DL'ed the app on account of your testimonial....it works wonders!

major_setback
10-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by jds1978:
i just DL'ed the app on account of your testimonial....it works wonders!

Good to hear it. I've been using it for well over a year (maybe 2 years) and I'm very pleased with it.

Tip: Allow everything to restart fully after gaming, I usually give it a good two minutes before touching the keyboard.

jds1978
10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Good to hear it. I've been using it for well over a year (maybe 2 years) and I'm very pleased with it.

Tip: Allow everything to restart fully after gaming, I usually give it a good two minutes before touching the keyboard.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Freelancer-1
10-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Although I don't use this app and don't need to as I have a fairly good understanding of the XP operating system, I have to say I think it's a good thing when these posts are made.

I wouldn't mind having a sticky with people's fixes for little things that work for speeding up the game.

Windows is a bloated patched mess and the IL2 series is full of sloppy coding, so as I see it there is much room for improvement.

It would be nice to see everyones fixes all in one place.

FritzGryphon
10-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Sloppy coding?

IL-2 series is the only modern sim that runs with acceptable rates and without crashing, barring problems on user's machine. I've even played it succesfully on a Voodoo 3 + 800mhz without any issues.

Compared to LOMAC, CFS3, Falcon 4, BoBII, it's perfect.

T_O_A_D
10-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I use this prog and appeciate its power. I only wish I could figure out just what window services are required to be left on, so as to not kill, Hyperlobby, and MSN messenger. Right now I have it down to 22 processes running when in game. If I shrink it anymore I loose those two aps above.

Freelancer-1
10-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Sloppy coding?

Compared to LOMAC, CFS3, Falcon 4, BoBII, it's perfect.

You're right, perhaps.

But compared to what it could be...

sparrow420
10-29-2005, 03:13 PM
The biggest improvement that FS-Autostart gave me was a substantial reduction in micro-stutters...

Every process in the background that demands attention, will cause a small stutter: the execution of IL2 is then temporarily stopped to do something else (check the list with services...)

What's nice of FS-Autostart is that you can shut down a lot, and after stopping IL2, all services are turned back on (if you want). Opens up a way of experimenting with what you really (don't) need in the background...

Cheers,

Sparrow

turnipkiller
10-29-2005, 03:27 PM
I must say that this is an awesome little program. My computer is somewhat underpowered for this sim, and I need to grab every little bit of help to run it. I am too scared to turn things on and off because I don't know what I am doing, but Autostart explains what things do and is easy to use and configure.
The most noticeable improvement was the ground not causing stuttering. Usually when I have a screen with a large part of the forest visable, for example the Smolensk map in QMB, it is very stuttery and generally unpleasent to watch, especially when I am trying to line up a shot. After turning off unecessary processes, it is very smooth now, and I was even able to turn the ground scenery up one notch with no ill effect. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up on this major. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BERNDT79
10-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Hmm I'm really computer illiterate...can someone shed some light on how to configure this to play IL2 with hyperlobby and TS? I don't want to ruin my online play by accident. Like what are some of you guys personal lists of shut off processes and programs? Thanks!

p1ngu666
10-30-2005, 07:11 PM
just download and install them both mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Dew-Claw
10-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by _VR_C_Berndt:
Hmm I'm really computer illiterate...can someone shed some light on how to configure this to play IL2 with hyperlobby and TS? I don't want to ruin my online play by accident. Like what are some of you guys personal lists of shut off processes and programs? Thanks!

Unbelievably simple.

major_setback
10-31-2005, 02:30 AM

It's really simple, even a computer dummy like me could get it to work, so you should be OK!

Have you installed it yet?

Guide for dummies (like me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) this may be oversimplified but, well...:

1. Click on the FSAutostart symbol to start it.
2. Click on 'file' then chose 'new, from the drop-down list.
3. On 'new profile type', select 'blank' the first time you create a profile, )otherwise you can use the same profile for several games by selecting 'copy of current profile'). Name it.
4. Click the 'save' symbol. you have now created a profile and it must be configured.
5. Make sure your profile is highlighted and click on 'configure', set the path to the FB/PF executable using 'browse'(the executable symbol within your FB folder which starts the game when clicked on).
Select also 'defragment memory' and 'force idle task to execute'. Click 'save'.
6. Click 'services' on the main dialogue window.
7. Click on each of the services in turn, a guide will open on the right-hand side recommending you to either shut-down or leave it running. This you do by clicking on 'action' and slecting 'stop and restart' from the list.
Do this for all 'services' (processes?), then 'save' and do the same procedure as above for 'programs'.

Maybe someone else can help you with exactly which programs/services should be left running for internet gaming (as I'm unsure).
As general advice though I'd state the obvious: Leave anything internet/network related running.

By the way: In 'programs' I leave most things running but still get a great benefit...I turn off ('stop and restart') WinCinema, RealPlayer, InCD, FinePixViewer, QuickTime, plus anything internet related as I don't play on the net.

Note: I turn off google-desktop (stopping it only!! otherwise I get a repeated warning that I shouldn't re-start it as it already exists).

major_setback
10-31-2005, 02:44 AM
Here are the services I 'stop/re-start'. Note: Anti-virus/firewall/internet I shut off manually.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/FSAutoex1.jpg

Dew-Claw
10-31-2005, 08:09 AM
If you use Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html) you can use it to google each process to find out exactly what it is.

BERNDT79
10-31-2005, 08:52 AM
Whoa! Thanks Major Setback! Thank you for taking the time to do that, that was exactly what I was looking for. I will have to get started on this tonite. I will let you know how it went.

-matt

Waldo.Pepper
10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
I like fs autostart and have been using it for quite some time, and it would be perfect if....

I could get it to load my X-45 profile, then unload it afterward. Anyone?

neural_dream
10-31-2005, 11:17 AM
The internet is by far the most consuming with the various little processes running. So, in my case that I'm connected 24/7, fsautostart didn't really do much (30mbs difference). Although I didn't try that second run you recommended. I'll do that tonight.
I suppose it will be better if you also shutdown windows explorer before you start a game and run the game by ctrl-alt-del -> applications -> new task -> browse for the game's executable.
P2P programs also kill your performance. Shut them down before you run a game, and generally applications that work in the background and use the harddisk frequently.

Oh, and it was good you clarified that by shutting down you actually mean "stop and restart" in the action choices.

marc_hawkins
10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Can you get this to run with IL2 stab? I've got rather used to having the historical markings! If so, how do you do it? downloading now....

major_setback
10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by marc_hawkins:
Can you get this to run with IL2 stab? I've got rather used to having the historical markings! If so, how do you do it? downloading now....

I havn't tried. There is a function though that allows you to start a (secondary) program before loading the sim.

major_setback
10-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
The internet is by far the most consuming with the various little processes running. So, in my case that I'm connected 24/7, fsautostart didn't really do much (30mbs difference). Although I didn't try that second run you recommended. I'll do that tonight.
I suppose it will be better if you also shutdown windows explorer before you start a game and run the game by ctrl-alt-del -> applications -> new task -> browse for the game's executable.
P2P programs also kill your performance. Shut them down before you run a game, and generally applications that work in the background and use the harddisk frequently.

Oh, and it was good you clarified that by shutting down you actually mean "stop and restart" in the action choices.

Can you explain what P2P is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

marc_hawkins
10-31-2005, 12:33 PM
humm, i've just set it up and saw that option, though i must be doing something wrong as when i try to launch it i get a error message. Well, i'll play with it and see what happens, unless there's some bright spark with the answer!

Dew-Claw
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
P2P= peer to peer

Napster, Bearshare ect.

Should work with Stab, I use IL2Manager with no problems.
I even have a profile that loads it multiplayer...
IL2Manager, HyperLobby, Teamspeak, and TSoverlay all launch from 1 profile.

Dew-Claw
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by marc_hawkins:
humm, i've just set it up and saw that option, though i must be doing something wrong as when i try to launch it i get a error message. Well, i'll play with it and see what happens, unless there's some bright spark with the answer!

Check which processes your shutting down,
Your shutting off something Windows needs.
Prob one of the svhost files.
Use Process manager to run a google on each process to see what it does before shutting them down.

marc_hawkins
10-31-2005, 01:36 PM
well, i must be doing something wrong. At first it wouldn't work at all, then when i downloaded the beta patch he has, it got as far as starting IL2 stab before doing nothing. Then when i fiddled with some of the options, It did the error message again. Well, i've uninstalled it for now, will download it fresh and take extra care and see how it goes.

jetsetsam
10-31-2005, 02:03 PM
You have to extract the patch into the parent FSautostart program file for the patch to work.

marc_hawkins
10-31-2005, 02:13 PM
well jetsetsam i placed the two files from the patch into the FS autostart file, (replacing the others) so don't think it was that.. hummm...

marc_hawkins
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
ahh.. think the problem is that it loads stab, but stab doesn't auto load IL2, if you see what i mean. I don't think i do, think i need to go to bed and look at this again tomorrow....

neural_dream
10-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Alright, i was wrong. FSAutostart does indeed improve greatly the performance of the game. I can't wait to try it in FS2004 where i usually suffer in max details.

edit: I tried it with highest possible details in FS2004 and NBA Live 06 and the result was very impressive to say the least for my 1.9GHz AMD and ATI9600.

Tip: Follow Major_Setback's procedure exactly. For convenience i quote
1. Click on the FSAutostart symbol to start it.
2. Click on 'file' then chose 'new, from the drop-down list.
3. On 'new profile type', select 'blank' the first time you create a profile, )otherwise you can use the same profile for several games by selecting 'copy of current profile'). Name it.
4. Click the 'save' symbol. you have now created a profile and it must be configured.
5. Make sure your profile is highlighted and click on 'configure', set the path to the FB/PF executable using 'browse'(the executable symbol within your FB folder which starts the game when clicked on).
Select also 'defragment memory' and 'force idle task to execute'. Click 'save'.
6. Click 'services' on the main dialogue window.
7. Click on each of the services in turn, a guide will open on the right-hand side recommending you to either shut-down or leave it running. This you do by clicking on 'action' and slecting 'stop and restart' from the list.
Do this for all 'services' (processes?), then 'save' and do the same procedure as above for 'programs'.

Maybe someone else can help you with exactly which programs/services should be left running for internet gaming (as I'm unsure).
As general advice though I'd state the obvious: Leave anything internet/network related running.

By the way: In 'programs' I leave most things running but still get a great benefit...I turn off ('stop and restart') WinCinema, RealPlayer, InCD, FinePixViewer, QuickTime, plus anything internet related as I don't play on the net.

Note: I turn off google-desktop (stopping it only!! otherwise I get a repeated warning that I shouldn't re-start it as it already exists).

zjulik
10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
Here are the services I 'stop/re-start'. Note: Anti-virus/firewall/internet I shut off manually.

Some of you may want to do some studying on what to deactivate permanently. This list is an example of a machine running way too many processes as default. Go to this page for a start:
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

15 Windows services, give or take a few and not including antivirus, firewall etc is all you need for most anything.

Graf1119
10-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Help!
-----------------------

Error Launching FSAustStart Batch Control!

Path=C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Il-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\fsactl.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\FSAutoStart\profiles\xxxx.ini"

Folder = C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Il-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
---------------------------

Anyone have a clue? Followed setback's instructions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

major_setback
11-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Graf1119:
Help!
-----------------------

Path=C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Il-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\fsactl.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\FSAutoStart\profiles\xxxx.ini"

---------------------------

Anyone have a clue? Followed setback's instructions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I am very uncertain about this, I'm REALLY no expert so someone else might help...but anyway:
The path/location you gave to the executable can't be found for some reason. I get exactly the same error when I try to set up a new profile so that I can run the old 4.01m version of the game (in order to compare it with 4.02m which I now use). I have the 4.01m version in a different location on my computer (compared to the 4.02m), I have a feeling that this might have something to do with it. Is your game installed in the default place (ie. under either 'programs' or 'program files').
I'm just guessing wildly here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also, if anyone has a tip that would lead me to being able to run both versions of the game using FSAutoStart(by getting FSAutostart to work for 4.01m as well as for 4.02m) I would be eternally grateful.

Edit: I tried renaming the executable. This doesn't work.
Note: I can run FS2004 and other games through FSAotoStart without a hitch, it's just the 4.01m verion of FB/PF which is the problem.

neural_dream
11-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Close the application and open it again and then add new game. Bug i guess. Mine works like this. Before i had the same error messages.

major_setback
11-01-2005, 04:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Graf1119:
Close the application and open it again and then add new game. Bug i guess. Mine works like this. Before i had the same error messages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a beta patch for FSAutoStart (I just saw this):

Quote from FAQs on the authors site:

"Q: When I press the Start button, I get an error message saying €œError Launching FSAutoStart Batch control€. What is the problem?

A: Please update to Build 11 Patch B, which addresses this problem. You can find the patch here."

FAQs:

http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/faq.htm

Patch:

http://www.kensalter.com/downloads/fsasctl_v11b11b.zip

major_setback
11-01-2005, 05:10 AM
The MAIN support forum for FSAutoStart :

http://www.kensalter.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

jetsetsam
11-01-2005, 05:59 AM
major_setback, I think you can achieve waht you want by setting up profiles for both versions. I have a profile for the game and another for flying online on hyperlobby. As well as for the two other games I play.

Click on file>new and give it a name. Then left click on the new Icon to highlight it and then click on configure. Click browse and get into the program file you want and click on the executable file for that version. Do the same for the other version. This sets the path for the profile you have created.

Same answer for graf. you have to set the path for the game through the configure button

Graf1119
11-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Hmm, jetset, thought I did that. Twice actually. Hmm...

Thanks setback and guys. Got the patch, will see how it works. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

neural_dream
11-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Did u try closing and opening again before you create new profile? Works for me without the patch.

Graf1119
11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Alright works with the patch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Problem is...I don't see any kind of difference when running Il2FB/PF. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Now are you guys noticing a huge fps difference or just a minor one?

neural_dream
11-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't check fps. I see performance with many aircraft and AAA and now it's always smooth. Before it was tiresome.

Tip: stop and restart for explorer.exe too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Graf1119
11-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Ahh, that could be it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Will try here at lunch.

jetsetsam
11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Just in case you haven't tried this yet, start the program, click first on services, then the running button down at the bottom, then place your cursor over each line and there is a description on the right as to what that service does and whether it's ok to turn it off.

Then do the same for programs and save.

There is only one service that I can't turn off even though recommended. I don't know why but when I turn it off my keyboard doesn't work.

I've set up several profiles for the games I play. For instance, for online I obviously leave IE on, but for offline play I turn off the browser and my anti-virus (after I have disconnected from the internet) and am able to play mega aircraft missions with no stutters.

The noticeable effect of this program is not more stutters. It's all the background services and programs doing things that draw on your computers capability that causes the stutters. And once you've achieved a fps of 30+ you can't see the difference anyway.

jetsetsam
11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Oops.

not=no.

major_setback
11-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Whoa! Thanks Major Setback! Thank you for taking the time to do that, that was exactly what I was looking for. I will have to get started on this tonite. I will let you know how it went.

-matt

How are you getting on?

major_setback
11-01-2005, 10:48 AM
THE PATCH did it. I can now play both 4.01m and 4.02m via FSAotoStart!

FOR EVERYONE HAVING A PROBLEM CONFIGURING FSAUTOSTART - note this is a beta!!!

Here's the patch readme:

"FSASCTL.EXE VERSION 1.1 BUILD 11 PATCH B

Created 1 Dec 2004

DO NOT DISTRIBUTE - THIS IF FOR BETA TESTING ONLY

Installation:

Copy both .exe files to the folder where you install FSAutoStart. Please backup the existing files first.

CHANGELOG:

1) Using ShellExecuteEx to start the main application - hopefully this will help with the error 193 problem

2) Allocated more memory for defrag to cure the problem where users with 2 GB memory were not able to fully defrag

3) Fixed bug where starting batch from FSAutoStart may result in an error

4) Added ability to configure where FSAutoStart asks if you wish to close the GUI when starting the batch process

5) Added ability to double-click the profile icon in the Main Window to Start the batch process

Please post your results in the forums at http://www.kensalte.com/forum.

Thanks for testing!

Ken Salter"

major_setback

Ritter_Cuda
11-02-2005, 02:42 PM
ok what is the GUI?
Cuda
/

4) Added ability to configure where FSAutoStart asks if you wish to close the GUI when starting the batch process

major_setback[/QUOTE]

neural_dream
11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
graphical user interface.

Well, the interface.

Graf1119
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Ok, I've run it a few times. No difference whatsoever to me. Went through all the services and stop/restarted all that were recommended. Stop/restarted a few programs as I didn't know what was what actually.

But...when it asks to close GUI during main application start I always select yes. perhaps I should leave the GUI open?

major_setback
11-03-2005, 05:43 AM
Ok, I've run it a few times. No difference whatsoever to me. Went through all the services and stop/restarted all that were recommended. Stop/restarted a few programs as I didn't know what was what actually.

But...when it asks to close GUI during main application start I always select yes. perhaps I should leave the GUI open?

I select 'yes' , ie: close the main window (GUI).

Have you set 'forces idle task to execute' and 'defragment memory' on the 'configuration' window?
Do you highlight (select with the mouse) your chosen profile before clicking 'start'?

You should notice a difference...at least in the amount of memory ('free physical memory') shown to you as you run it (this is shown both before AND after closing down processes/programs/defrag'/idle task!).

Are you sure that valid path has been selected...does FSAutoStart load FB/PF itself...it should do this without you starting the game.

WWSensei
11-03-2005, 07:27 AM
This tool is useful for those that have a badly configured system to begin with. Excellent for beginners, but if you have already optimized your system you aren't likely to see much improvement.

If you are someone who leaves MSN messenger or AOL or Quicktime or Winamp running while you fly you'll need this tool. If you have already cleaned up your running services and programs you aren't likely to see much improvement.

Graf1119
11-03-2005, 08:33 AM
I've done all that setback. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I do close most everything when I first start up my pc so that may be the reason. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

neural_dream
11-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
This tool is useful for those that have a badly configured system to begin with. Excellent for beginners, but if you have already optimized your system you aren't likely to see much improvement.

If you are someone who leaves MSN messenger or AOL or Quicktime or Winamp running while you fly you'll need this tool. If you have already cleaned up your running services and programs you aren't likely to see much improvement.
True, but it offers automation. For example, who's bothered to shut down the windows explorer and start the game from ctrl-alt-del -> new task? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

WWSensei
11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
True, but it offers automation. For example, who's bothered to shut down the windows explorer and start the game from ctrl-alt-del -> new task? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

If you mean Windows Explorer it shouldn't be running in the first place. If you mean the explorer shell shutting down is only helpful until the OS fires it back up again a few seconds later--parts of it are required for the OS to run (talking XP here). If you've gone to a site like blackviper and shut off all the un-needed services to begin with there is little you need to bring up task manager up to shut-off.

fireman519
11-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I gained about 45mb. I had already cleaned up my processes along time ago thanx to Blackviper.

I was playing in a server last night, and I kept getting ping spikes for some reason. The server would punt me after the third warning. I am running 3mb/256k cable, and I have the connection optimized for best performance. I had nothing else running, and the game was very smooth, I just kept getting those spikes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

jetsetsam
11-03-2005, 03:21 PM
fireman, spikes can also be caused by viruses and/or spyware.

graf, FSautostart probably won't give much improvement in fps if that's what you're looking for. It just smooths things out.

Try doing a mega plane mission with lot's of pyrotechnics from ships, then use FSautostart for the same mission. If you are using it correctly, the mission should play a lot smoother.

fireman519
11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Between FSautostart and a program called Latency Tool, My game is running smooth now.

I had already ran sb s&d, Ad-aware, ewido, and did a full scan with AVG, so spyware and viruses weren't the problem. I went back into the same server tonight after using the latency tool, and all was fine, no more warnings.

Latency Tool (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951)

Hiriyu
11-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
... If you've gone to a site like blackviper and shut off all the un-needed services to begin with there is little you need to bring up task manager up to shut-off.

You are right for the most part, but neural-dream does have a point regarding the automation aspect of this program. I use FSAutostart like a mode switch - I run it without launching a main application, turning off stuff I would usually have running (multimedia/theatre software, antivirus, some logging tools, etc), launching some other stuff that I might want to have running (controller profiles, TrackIR, Fraps, etc), and run a memory defrag. Quite nice to do with one click of a shortcut from your desktop.

jds1978
11-07-2005, 03:36 AM
this tool is just gr8. i can now play missions with uber-flak. before, i had to tone the settings down to "lame-o" levels. now the sky above the IJN looks like the world's scariest 4th of July celebration. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Mescof1
11-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Great tool. I had my system services adjusted per Blackviper, but I like the handiness of this. thanks.

Mescoff

Grue_
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Main site seems to be down, I downloaded it from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/FSAutoStart--build-Download-14374.html

Saunders1953
11-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey Major Setback:

On the basis of all the praise for this I downloaded it and installed it last night--late, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to tweak it. After I tried it out, it didn't seem to restart any of the applications I had marked as "stop and restart." I checked it after I exited the game by clicking on "Services" without restarting the program, and all those that I had marked were noted as being "stopped" instead of "running"---which if they were trurned back on, should have been the case, correct?

I'm at work now, so I can't check it until tonight, but was just wondering if I'm supposed to be doing something else when/after I exit the game.

Also, why do you shut down your firewall, internet, etc? Are those that big a hit on your system?

Thanks.

major_setback
11-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Saunders1953:
Hey Major Setback:

On the basis of all the praise for this I downloaded it and installed it last night--late, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to tweak it. After I tried it out, it didn't seem to restart any of the applications I had marked as "stop and restart." I checked it after I exited the game by clicking on "Services" without restarting the program, and all those that I had marked were noted as being "stopped" instead of "running"---which if they were trurned back on, should have been the case, correct?

I'm at work now, so I can't check it until tonight, but was just wondering if I'm supposed to be doing something else when/after I exit the game.

Also, why do you shut down your firewall, internet, etc? Are those that big a hit on your system?

Thanks.

This seems strange.
I just checked my settings and they show the same as you get (under the 'state' column in the 'services' settings), even though my computer is working fine and, as far as I know, everthing has been re-started. I guess that it's just a bug in the program and it's failing to show that the services have been re-started.
If you're not getting any obvious problems then I wouldn't worry about it.
I presume you still have 'stop and restart' showing under in the 'action' column?

When I have done enough gaming I just exit the game in the normal manner and the processes and programs are automatically re-started - I don't do anything special at all.

I shut down firewall, antivirus, and internet to save even more memory. I only have a modest system so it needs all the help I can give it. I believe that the antivirus might continually check files as they are opened - which would use memory and cause stutters (?). Someone else might be able to give you a better answer.

Saunders1953
11-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks Major!

I presume you still have 'stop and restart' showing under in the 'action' column?

Yes.

Schithawk
11-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Hmm I'm really computer illiterate...can someone shed some light on how to configure this to play IL2 with hyperlobby and TS? I don't want to ruin my online play by accident. Like what are some of you guys personal lists of shut off processes and programs? Thanks! wow hat list of proccesses is amazing!! i just looked at mine and here they are . this is all my sys runs and i have hyper lobby and i.e. open !!hmmmm well camnt seemto copy ooff of task manager but with hl ie, ive a total of 25 running proccesses. idont want anything to start up when i boot just windows ,then open what i need.i keep my hard drive clean aswell if i need an application i use it then uninstall. i defrag once a week. my harddrive is 90& free and my sys flys!! : )benchmarked well above any other compatible machine. gl

RAF238th_Soak
11-17-2005, 07:06 PM
I have been using FSAuto Start for a few months now and I'm happy with it. I have 29 services set to stop/restart and several programs too. Took me a little time to figure out what services caused errors when I shut them down. A good way to do that is in the configure tab and use "do not launch any app, just pause" while setting up.
I did't have much luck with the FSAutostart's page defrag ...mine would cap out at about 198 and then I would get an error. Likely because I have 2 gigs of ram. So I use a utlity called PageDefrag with FSAutoStart instead. You can get it at http://www.sysinternals.com
Works great and it Defrags your page file when you reboot.
I don't think shutting down your firewall is a safe thing to do.

major_setback
11-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by RAF238th_Soak:
....I use a utlity called PageDefrag with FSAutoStart instead. You can get it at http://www.sysinternals.com
Works great and it Defrags your page file when you reboot.
I don't think shutting down your firewall is a safe thing to do.

Thanks, I might try that.
I think they have fixed the memory issue:

Have you installed the patch for FSAutoStart? This quote is from the patch (beta) readme that I posted earlier on this thread: " 2) Allocated more memory for defrag to cure the problem where users with 2 GB memory were not able to fully defrag".

The beta works fine for me.

I only shut down my firewall and antivirus when offline, restarting (rebooting my system) before going online.

setback.

RAF238th_Soak
11-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by major_setback:

I think they have fixed the memory issue:

Have you installed the patch for FSAutoStart? This quote is from the patch (beta) readme that I posted earlier on this thread: " 2) Allocated more memory for defrag to cure the problem where users with 2 GB memory were not able to fully defrag".
setback.

Yes I'm using the patched version and I see it start to slow at 172 blocks and when I get to 198 blocks it says "unable to allocate enough memory". I reach 198 out of the 205.
I don't bother with the page defrag anymore.

LePetit_Lapin
11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
I might get around to writing a guide on how to set up your system from scratch (Ie: a wipe and re-format) so that it runs in tip-top condition all the time.

As it is FSAutoStart doesn't really do anything for me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Schithawk
11-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by LePetit_Lapin:
I might get around to writing a guide on how to set up your system from scratch (Ie: a wipe and re-format) so that it runs in tip-top condition all the time.

As it is FSAutoStart doesn't really do anything for me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hurry, Hurry lol that's agreat idea for a new thread. eliminate the problems before hand. be looking forward to it.
i've got a sys that i use for virtually nothing but flying . is there a more appropriate os i could be using than xp pro sp2?

AFJ_Locust
11-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Yep good idea

I have only 14 process running in background

There all nessicary or wouldnt be running http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif\