PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Lever/Throttle control

Riper-Snifle
05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
hello fellow flight simmers. I am into many different flight sims, but Il2 Forgotten Battles/AEP/Pacific Fighters is my favorite. I am a Glider pilot in real life, and I own several other flight sims. The question I have pertains to spoilers, gliders do not have throttles since there is no engine, so in landing control of the spoilers (dive brakes) is very crucial, much like throttle control in a power aircraft. My question is- can throttle crontrols be set to control the spoilers or is there a completely different type of joystick interface that can be used for this purpose? I understand that IL2 and PF do not feature any gliders but I figured someone might know. Thank You in advance.

Fennec_P
05-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Dive brakes/recovery flaps are either open or closed, no in between.

AFAIK this is historically accurate.

Tully__
05-09-2005, 06:02 AM
In addition, very few aircraft even have them. Among the few that do are the Stuka, SBD, Val and Corsair.

Waldo.Pepper
05-09-2005, 09:53 AM
In addition to Tully's addition - 'soon' the Ju-88 should also be flyable and have them also.

Riper-Snifle
05-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Right, very few have dive brakes and their are either in or ot, but like I said I was talking about spoilers on gliders. Everyone here plays multiple flight simulators and I am no different. There are gliders in the Microsoft Filght Simulators but I am never able to get them off the ground (not sure how to set up tow plane or winch). But once I get them off the ground it is necessary to have the position of the spoilers alterable by some sort of lever, whether the throttle is changed in its assignment or a new control device from CH products possibly exists. Does anyone know any information about gliders in flight sims, and could they contribute? Thank You.

anasteksi
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
P-38L also has diving brakes

Fennec_P
05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Snifle, I'm not sure what you mean. There aren't any adjustable spoilers in any of the IL-2 planes, and thus no way to set up a lever to control it.

You can set axis (like sliders, levers or whatever you got) to control things like flaps, trim, throttle and so forth. Any axis that your game controller has can be set to control these functions. It's also possible to use multiple game controllers.

Tully__
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
In the controls screen there's a control for airbrake/dive brake. It's a toggle, so when you press the key assigned to it the first time the spoilers deploy, the second time you press it the spoilers retract. You can use a keyboard key or a joystick button.

IIRC the spoilers/airbrakes work the same in MS FS98 and FS2K, i.e. the control is an assigned keyboard or joystick button that acts as a toggle.