PDA

View Full Version : 128 player servers?

StylezXP
04-20-2006, 03:14 PM
This caught my eye on the main page: "Free servers all over the world offering exhilarating multiplayer experience: up to 128 players on 29 online maps. "

Haven't spotted any 128 player servers yet but is there any plans to support this in the near future?

StylezXP
04-20-2006, 03:14 PM
This caught my eye on the main page: "Free servers all over the world offering exhilarating multiplayer experience: up to 128 players on 29 online maps. "

Haven't spotted any 128 player servers yet but is there any plans to support this in the near future?

BaronUnderpants
04-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Would like to see the average ping on that server http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Proppably possible but the amount of freezes and lag would go through the roof.

StylezXP
04-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Well it's certainly possible. Joint Operations had 128 player servers that ran fairly smoothly as long as the client's had a system sufficient to push the clients. I'm curious as to why UBI would promote that as a selling point when not one server with that limit exists.

AFJ_Locust
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StylezXP:

Haven't spotted any 128 player servers yet but is there any plans to support this in the near future? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ITS A LIE AND HAS BEEN A LIE SINCE THEY PUT THAT CLAIM ON THE FRONT PAGE.

Servers with 40 players are taxed hard, Its not the bandwith either its the netcodeing or the sim itself, we had MEGA bandwith 10MB UP & 8MB down PER SECOND, & there is still lag, the machien was a top of the line server with top notch technoligy, STILL ther is bad lag with 40 players, theres NO way in hell anyone can host 128!!! period

StylezXP
04-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I noticed that too Locust. I was hoping a dev could help clear that up.

rnzoli
04-22-2006, 06:16 AM
I am not a dev but did a few measurements on bandwidth usage. what I found that the uplink bandwidth NOT LINEARLY, but rather EXPONENTIALLY increases with number of players.

So according to my quick calculations, 128 players need ~50 MBit/s uplink bandwidth, 64 players need ~ 14Mbit/s uplink for ensuring no server congestion at all.

I am not excluding the possibility of coding problems or sub-optimal network handling in the dedicated servers, but the bandwidth demand is often underestimated by the server operators.

Stoyanov
04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
The only flight-sim that supported more than a 100 players was the good old WarBirds. Since then there is no such sim as far as I know. I've been on Il-2 servers with 60 players, and if the map is big enough to keep the players from a big furballs,and server has good I-net connection and specs - it is playable... but 128... man its impossible.....

Hawgdog
04-22-2006, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StylezXP:
.....why UBI would...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How long you been here?