PDA

View Full Version : sfs editor, official position?



Lewicide
07-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Has there been any official UBI/Maddox position stated on the "tool" (if it exists as such) yet?

Ivan said he was getting to the bottom of it but the forum crash nixed the thread.

Any further news?

LEBillfish
07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I doubt Maddox games and especially Ubi would know......You're asking them to figure out if their code could be cracked....My guess is they would respond privately "Yes, there are a dozen ways"......They know most of the ways I'd guess, because they wrote it...YET...That does not mean anyone outside the magic circle could figure it out or has built a tool to do so.

Only way to know is if someone steps up and say's "ok, I did it"...Naturally to be bombarded by a bazillion "you s**k's"...and then again as many "can I have it's?"

SaQSoN
07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
There is no and will not be any "official" comments. Particulary, taking in account, that there is actually nothing to comment.

Yet, there is "un-official" one.
According to one of 1C programmers, they are well aware about SFS cracking possibility. A new encription method was developed for the BoB SFS. However, due to the recent "cheater" panic and histeria http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif they may introduce this method for the FBPF 4.07m.

Lewicide
07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, we need to find this tool (if it exists) to at least know what it is capable of.

edit that, since I just got a response

cheers SaQSoN

SaQSoN
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, we need to find this tool (if it exists) to at least know what it is capable of.

If such tool exists, it will grant it's user access to certain FM parameters and all default textures (cockpit, planes, ground units, land surface).
Yet, it won't be possible to change/add 3D models or functionality of an aircraft (by, say, adding more guns, bombs, etc.) The DM would be also unaffected, since it is 3D model- and code-related.

PS All comments above are unnoficial and based on my limited knowlege of the engine and thus may not be 100% correct. Particulary, taking in account, that I never seen the "tool" in question and do not know what it may (or may not) do.

Jaws2002
07-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by SaQSoN:

Yet, there is "un-official" one.
According to one of 1C programmers, they are well aware about SFS cracking possibility. A new encription method was developed for the BoB SFS. However, due to the recent "cheater" panic and histeria http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif they may introduce this method for the FBPF 4.07m.


I don't know if this is a good idea. This will give the hackers head start on the BOB and they may crack it by the time it comes out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Bearcat99
07-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I think they should just try to make sure that those with un hacked version will be able to fly together and exclude versions with different files.

SaQSoN
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I think they should just try to make sure that those with un hacked version will be able to fly together and exclude versions with different files.

Well, that is the part of the new encryption/protection system. If I understood correctly, there will be an on-line SFS verification embedded into the net code. Which will add some additional load to the net traffic of the game. So, modem users - get better start thinnking about upgrade your I-net connection. And say thanks to the hackers, and MUCH, MUCH bigger thanks to the local paranoids. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TheGozr
07-04-2006, 12:21 AM
No body heard of "Punk Buster" in here ?

Bearcat99
07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by SaQSoN:
Well, that is the part of the new encryption/protection system. If I understood correctly, there will be an on-line SFS verification embedded into the net code. Which will add some additional load to the net traffic of the game. So, modem users - get better start thinnking about upgrade your I-net connection. And say thanks to the hackers, and MUCH, MUCH bigger thanks to the local paranoids. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Do you think that will be only on the initial load.... if so then that wont be too bad.. but if it increases lag to an already...... iffy net system. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif.. Oh well... either way Ill still be flying... and since I know most of the people I fly with it wont be a big deal.

SlickStick
07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SaQSoN:
So, modem users - get better start thinnking about upgrade your I-net connection. And say thanks to the hackers, and MUCH, MUCH bigger thanks to the local paranoids. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Can you blame people for wanting to be able to fly a game that is protected by it's developer? Paranoid, hardly. It's just that so many flight sim pilots have been down this road before and we finally had something solid in this game that provided a good measure of protection against modifications. All we had to worry about were speed hacks and internet connection manipulation. And Oleg/1C gave us the means to detect those. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'll assume from your "unofficial" thoughts, that it is indeed possible to recompile the .sfs files for online play after modifying them? Or not knowing the tool, it is still "unofficially" unconfirmed that this is possible?

Oh well, at least better encryption is coming. I guess some will just have to lower detail settings and tweak their internet connection a bit. Thanks for any further information that you provide, SaQSoN.

TheGozr
07-04-2006, 02:30 AM
SaQSoN:
Do you know "Punk Buster" Anti cheat..?
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=info.php

Xiolablu3
07-04-2006, 03:04 AM
I was sure I saw an engine flying past me on a server the other day. No plane, just the engine.

It could have been lag, and noone reported any other strange goings on.

Has anyone else seen anything else strange?

I would expect to see a lot of 'messing' about on servers which are not peoples regulars, and hence dont care if they they get banned. Once the cheat becomes widespread, kids will not be able to resist 'showing off' and annoying others with this tool, so I wouldnt worry until we see reports of strangeness happening.

On servers with externals on it would be easy to catch these people becasue you could flick throught hte planes in external view and see what was altered, if its textures to make the planes invisible.

On servers without externals it may be a bit harder. Can the admin still look through the planes in external view on a full real server to check?

SaQSoN
07-04-2006, 05:16 AM
SaQSoN:
Do you know "Punk Buster" Anti cheat..?

No, I didn't until now. In general, I never was interested in any anti-cheat software. Primary, because I don't play many games on-line, and in the IL-2 series in particular, I know, that 99,9% of the "cheaters", I encounter are simply a better pilots then me (apart from people with bad connection).
And, after reading the features of this "Punk buster", I can say, that half of them are present in the game already, while another half will, probably, be included in the 4.07, or in the BoB...

One13
07-04-2006, 05:36 AM
This was posted on the SimHQ forum, its an email from Oleg which he said could be reposted.

"The last news. The guy do not give anybody the source.... His behavior
changed after Dimas post on Russian forum.
He don't play the sim. His goal was to show how he is cool in the
"community" of hackers... becasue Il-2 series is(was) one of most protected
for recompilation software in the world for a very-very long time (SFS was
our own method of cripted compilation since 1994, that was created for the
car navigation system by the contract. They use it even now...)

So nothing seriuos happened. But we anyway rework that to see how it works
with Il-2 series and then modify for BoB.

You may post it."

There is talk that the encyryption will be changed in 4.07.

danjama
07-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by One13:
This was posted on the SimHQ forum, its an email from Oleg which he said could be reposted.

"The last news. The guy do not give anybody the source.... His behavior
changed after Dimas post on Russian forum.
He don't play the sim. His goal was to show how he is cool in the
"community" of hackers... becasue Il-2 series is(was) one of most protected
for recompilation software in the world for a very-very long time (SFS was
our own method of cripted compilation since 1994, that was created for the
car navigation system by the contract. They use it even now...)

So nothing seriuos happened. But we anyway rework that to see how it works
with Il-2 series and then modify for BoB.

You may post it."

There is talk that the encyryption will be changed in 4.07.

thats good news if its true

Bearcat99
07-04-2006, 06:29 AM
I just hope they hurry up and release 4.06..... We were supposed to have all 3 by now.

Feathered_IV
07-04-2006, 06:44 AM
I remember that too. These days I just think of a long, seemingly unatainable date, and then double it. As a general rule of thumb, it works quite well http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Choctaw111
07-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I think they should just try to make sure that those with un hacked version will be able to fly together and exclude versions with different files.

I agree 100%!!!

SlickStick
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by SaQSoN:
No, I didn't until now. In general, I never was interested in any anti-cheat software. Primary, because I don't play many games on-line, and in the IL-2 series in particular, I know, that 99,9% of the "cheaters", I encounter are simply a better pilots then me (apart from people with bad connection).

Thankfully, Oleg and 1C do not share your opinion on the "low %" of cheaters. I shudder to think what this game would have been like online if we didn't have MAX LAG and Speed Check in the conf.ini to protect our servers.

Now, if we could just get more Hosts educated about protecting their servers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Good to see word from Oleg about a fix, even as he alludes to the files.sfs not being able to be recompiled for online play, but they will place further protection anyway to continue to ensure the integrity of his masterpiece.

WOOHOO!!! http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4682/homerwoohoo2vy.jpg

THANK YOU, OLEG!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

AKA_TAGERT
07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Lewicide:
Ivan said he was getting to the bottom of it but the forum crash nixed the thread. Yet you felt the need to start a new thread?


Originally posted by Lewicide:
Any further news? I dont know, why dont you check to see what Ivan said in the other thread.

Jezzzzzzzzzzz.. And the MODS do this for free? You couldnt pay me to do it!

TheGozr
07-04-2006, 12:19 PM
SaQSoN


yes i used when we were doing the World championship for Quake 3 serie and mods . Please look into this Punkbuster it was exelent.
We used it in lan or online activate it at will. On or OFF verification of some files to be exact, if the file defered from original the player couldn't connect.

Repport it to Oleg..
thx.

(PS: I will not hide that i wish to find the sfs cracked, to be able to work on very specific planes that need work and corrections to show and send it back to Oleg of how they suppose to react or the closest as possible .)

SaQSoN
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
verification of some files to be exact, if the file defered from original the player couldn't connect.
As I already said, this method will be built in the FB and BoB as part of the new protection system. Along with some other measures. So, there will be no need to use an external program for that.

Monty_Thrud
07-04-2006, 02:30 PM
PunkBuster was hacked years ago...i gave up playing Battlefield 1942 because of that and COD2 for the same...you can sit and watch them cheat...climb inside objects to hide and shoot people, see and shoot through walls, aimbot...i just don't get it, don't they understand they ruin it for themselves aswell as everyone else.

I only went back to BF1942 recently, sure enough they're still at it, PB catches some but not all.

Lewicide
07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lewicide:
Ivan said he was getting to the bottom of it but the forum crash nixed the thread. Yet you felt the need to start a new thread?


Originally posted by Lewicide:
Any further news? I dont know, why dont you check to see what Ivan said in the other thread.

Jezzzzzzzzzzz.. And the MODS do this for free? You couldnt pay me to do it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The second page of Ivan's thread was lost after the forum crash and at the time of starting this thread, there had been no retrieval of that second page.

Yes I did feel the need to start this thread and I am pleased with the answers given.

Yes the Mods are chosen and invited to perform that function (for various reasons), you were not (presumably for various reasons).
You may consider that a blessing, and we may also consider that a blessing.

This thread has had people participating for two pages, and I feel has contributed something.

If you don't like the thread, there are many others to choose from.

AKA_TAGERT
07-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Lewicide:
The second page of Ivan's thread was lost after the forum crash and at the time of starting this thread, there had been no retrieval of that second page. So.. point is you could have posted in THAT thread instead of starting another.


Originally posted by Lewicide:
Yes I did feel the need to start this thread and I am pleased with the answers given. Im happy for you


Originally posted by Lewicide:
Yes the Mods are chosen and invited to perform that function (for various reasons), you were not (presumably for various reasons).
You may consider that a blessing, and we may also consider that a blessing. So


Originally posted by Lewicide:
This thread has had people participating for two pages, and I feel has contributed something. Yes boosting your post count with redudend information.


Originally posted by Lewicide:
If you don't like the thread, there are many others to choose from. Yup, lots of folks like you that feel the need to sturr the pot. Give Oleg at least a week before you drink the Kool-Aid

Lewicide
07-05-2006, 12:37 AM
You contributed nothing to this thread except to whinge.

I very much doubt Oleg, or anyone else for that matter, needs your protection from your percieved "people like us", (I can only take that as people not like you) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

I won't waste any more time on you, or engage any further in your puerile banter, consider yourself brushed off. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif