PDA

View Full Version : Replacing default skins for dgen campaigns: Help needed.

major_setback
11-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I can't find an answer for this, so please help.

I wan't to replace the default skins (for other aircraft than my own) with ones I've downloaded from skin sites so that I get better quality skins in (dgen) campaigns (this is not a question about online skins).

I know that I can change skins for specific campaigns, however this is NOT what I am asking for...I want to change the default skin to one of my choice for every aircraft so that I don't constantly have to change them, so that in dgen campaigns/quick missions/single missions formations of (for example) He111s will have a nicer look.

I'm sick of some of the default skins http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif, and there are so many good one about that it's a shame not to use them.

Any help is greatly appreciated! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

YAKMAN1968
11-04-2005, 07:13 AM
You can't with the standard dgen, BUT you can if you use IL2-DCG programme by Lowengrin,
www.lowengrin.com

major_setback
11-04-2005, 07:23 AM
mmm...I couldn't get that to work, despite repeated tries.

I might have another go at it...I kind of gave up though.

Thanks anyway!

csThor
11-04-2005, 07:59 AM
With DGen you need to edit the "database" file of a campaign. You can find these in your "DGen" subfolder of the Il-2/FB/PF main folder. You need to find out the name of the campaign you wish to edit (e.g. for the new Northwest Germany map it's 'G45.DB') and open it in Notepad. There you will find a lot of lines including these:

[Planes]
40 P_38L NWE_P-38L_US.bmp
20 C_47 NWE_C47_RAF.bmp
20 P_51D20NA NWE_P51D_GENERIC.bmp
20 P_51D5NT NWE_P51D_GENERIC.bmp
50 P_47D27 NWE_P47D27_GENERIC.bmp

Under [Planes] the planetypes and their numbers are defined. I would advise against editing these without knowing what you're doing, but as you can see you can simply add the exact name of the skin you wish to use. A second skinname would be a winter skin, but this will only be used when a winter map is loaded (it is not necessary). This is one possibility. Number two follows:

[Squadrons]
usa01 P_38L
skin: NWE_P-38L_US.bmp
usa01 C_47
skin: NWE_C47_USAAF.bmp
usa01 A_20G
skin: NWE_A-20G_US.bmp
8AF_004FG_334FS P_51D20NA
skin: NWE_4FG-334FS_P51.bmp

The [Squadrons] tag is not necessarily present as it is a rather new variable. Here you can define the planetype a squadron uses (you can choose multiple ones) and a skin this particular unit should wear. The skin definition is not necessary, but I recommend it anyway. Please note that this will only work with the squadrons listed in Il-2 and in the [OOB] tag in the same DB file. DGen supports a lot of squadrons and I have recently completed the russian and german unit pool (Starshoy should release a new DGen anytime soon). You may need to experiment if a certain squadron is supported by DGen - but as always you must use the internal names of Il-2! You cannot "invent" own squadrons. This won't work.

major_setback
11-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks. I might try that. I was really looking for a way so that whatever sort of mission I started I would get decent skins, without having to do work everytime around.

The He111s and Ju88s really irritate me, I hate those skins!!!I hoped there would be a lazy-mans way around this. I'll try with DCG one more time...someday soon maybe.

csThor
11-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Well I prefer fiddling with text files over the options orgy of DCG. Maybe because I started my PC "carreer" with DOS instead of Windows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif