PDA

View Full Version : Why does Altair sound American?

ilnadmy
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I was just watching some of the E3 videos, and in the part where he talks to Talal he has a decidedly American accent. In a game that prides itself on authenticity, and where everyone in the city spoke with an Arabic accent, Altair's accent is very jarring. Anyone else notice this? A member of the Hashshashin with an American accent just doesn't seem right lol.

SmokehtheFirst
07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Given he's the main character, the player doesn't want to have to focus really hard to understand what he's saying. It'll allow for a more casual experience.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 04:53 PM
maybe altair came from america with a ship?

olendvcook
it might tie into the whole si-fi thing aswell

moqqy
Originally posted by olendvcook:

unlikely

T_Spoon_UK
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, it was the only thing i was quite Ooo-er about..

Ohwell. cant have everything.

ilnadmy
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Honestly, if it's so hard to understand what a person is saying in an Arabic accent then you won't have a clue what anyone else is saying in the game since they all have Arabic accents. The fact that Altair has an American accent sort of kills the authenticity of the experience, since it's the main character who sort of lends the game its feel.

Edited for grammar.

TheMongooseDog
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I didn't have so much a problem with the accent as I did with the actual voice. If he talks at all, he should sound much more like Sam Fisher than the Prince of Persia.

SmokehtheFirst
07-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ilnadmy:
Honestly, if it's so hard to understand what a person is saying in an Arabic accent then you won't have a clue what anyone else is saying in the game since they all have Arabic accents. The fact that Altair has an American accent sort of kills the authenticity of the experience, since it's the main character who sort of lends the game its feel.

Edited for grammar.

Altair is the MAIN character, so he's probably going to talk the most, and the player is going to be more inclinced to listen to Altair than the rest of the characters.

Ti.llama
07-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I literally cringed every time I heard the Voice Over for Altair. The accent is less a problem than the acting... that voice over in all the demos has absolutely no inflection- it's robotic- and some of those lines he delivers are just straight cheese ball.

ilnadmy
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Well it doesn't have to be a strong Arabic accent, just I'd rather it wasn't overtly American. I mean imagine Sam Fisher with an Indian accent. Wouldn't sound right, would it? Same thing here, he's surrounded by Arabic-accent NPCs, so he stands out like a sore thumb whenever he talks.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Ti.llama:
I literally cringed every time I heard the Voice Over for Altair. The accent is less a problem than the acting... that voice over in all the demos has absolutely no inflection- it's robotic- and some of those lines he delivers are just straight cheese ball.

well i've got to agree with you on the last point - an assassin with many missions behind shouldnt say "come down here, let us settle this with honor!"

ilnadmy
07-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Well I've just watched some of the extended videos where you can hear a lot of the dialogue, and Altair sounds waaay too noble and goody-two-shoes. For an assassin he doesn't sound very scary or battle-hardened. I think we need more of that and less of his "good hero" vibe.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
yep now he sounds kinda too much like a noble knight

TheTrojanPig
07-13-2007, 05:38 PM
im tellin ya vin diesels voice couldve kicked this voices *** but im not worryin about the voice cause i just wanna kill people not have convos with them so it wont bother me much

Mulle_DK13
07-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Altair says that, because if Talal runs, he have lost his honor (Talal has)!!

And I'm glad he has american accent... I would sound wierd with arrabic accent.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 05:40 PM
so what ? who cares about honor

ParadiseFH
07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
jade and ubi we hope you're listening!

altair definitely needs a more rugged voice (whether it be american, english, arabic or something in between).

spazzoo1025
07-13-2007, 06:01 PM
maybe theyre not done doing the voices and they just put that in so they could show that part in the demo

kekti
07-13-2007, 06:03 PM
hmm could be cause he's from serbia? or from a part of eastern europe

Lordgrunty11
07-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by moqqy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olendvcook:

unlikely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
how is that unlikely? it makes a lot of sense, if he's from the future or something then why couldn't he be american?

ilnadmy
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
I didn't know Serbians spoke with American accents.

Also yes Ubi, please change the voice's ruggedness and the dialogue to be a little more on the morally ambivalent side, and perhaps try to find a voice actor that can do more of an Arabic, or at least neutral, accent.

ilnadmy
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Lordgrunty11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olendvcook:

how is that unlikely? it makes a lot of sense, if he's from the future or something then why couldn't he be american? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jade said in the GameSpot interview that there is no time travelling, so he's NOT from the future.

Tinted.View
07-13-2007, 06:09 PM
If they've finished the voices, I doubt they're gonna start over just because some people on the forum thinks Altair sounds weird. Even if they're not done, I doubt they're gonna pay attention to us. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

moqqy
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lordgrunty11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:

how is that unlikely? it makes a lot of sense, if he's from the future or something then why couldn't he be american? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jade said in the GameSpot interview that there is no time travelling, so he's NOT from the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, thats why its unlikely, because altair the character shouldnt have any ties into modern age himself

spazzoo1025
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lordgrunty11:

Jade said in the GameSpot interview that there is no time travelling, so he's NOT from the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, she only said that to keep everything secret. She'll deny everything you ask about upcoming games

olendvcook
07-13-2007, 06:19 PM
i didn't want spoil anything but

*spoiler*

Its really some guy in a virtual machine >_> not time travel you can tell that from xo6 demo

moqqy
07-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ilnadmy:

Dude, she only said that to keep everything secret. She'll deny everything you ask about upcoming games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, she wouldnt lie on an interview to everyone. and its been confirmed before. there is no time traveling and altair isnt from the future

park212
07-13-2007, 06:23 PM
being too noble may have been the reason he fails the first mission you play in the game.

It could be an emotional dilemma?

chewie1890
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I believe it was his own arrogance which was his ultimate downfall. After accomplishing missions for a while, he became cocky and over-confident, that's when he screws up his mission.

Lordgrunty11
07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I just can't believe that there isn't any time travel involved, I mean futuristic code stuff around your target, it says things like Reinitializing and computer offline (< or shutting down, can't remember) and on the facts thread it says that one of the three games will be set in the future- http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/5701064934

DeAdLy2323
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
genetic memory anyone??

chewie1890
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I just can't believe that there isn't any time travel involved, I mean futuristic code stuff around your target, it says things like Reinitializing and computer offline (< or shutting down, can't remember) and on the facts thread it says that one of the three games will be set in the future- http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/5701064934

Okay let me lay it out.

Altair's descendant is looking into his genetic memory, that's how we come into playing Altair. It's really just his descendant 'watching' the memories play out.

There's a larger conspiracy based around the Crusades which could have repercussions on the present/future. The other games are alleged to take place in the present/future, besides that we know little else. Only other thing we know is that Jade confirmed there will be absolutely NO time travel.

Lordgrunty11
07-13-2007, 07:04 PM
nice theory

moqqy
07-13-2007, 07:07 PM
nice theory

thats pretty much confirmed so its not a theory

ThePheonix1030
07-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I was a little startled when I first heard Altair's voice. I was aware that Philip (the voice actor) was American, but when he said that one line (yeah you know what I'm talking about), it sounded so corny...

Originally posted by SmokehtheFirst:
Altair is the MAIN character, so he's probably going to talk the most, and the player is going to be more inclinced to listen to Altair than the rest of the characters.
Well look at GTA IV. Niko has an accent...

KnightTemplar45
07-13-2007, 08:18 PM
At first I didn't even realize how American he sounded, but now that you mention I guess he does. It doesn't really bother me. My first thought was "So he does talk"/

SpiderFreak
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
If it does tie into the sci-fi element of the game, then it could be that even though Altair isn't time-travelling, the person who is "re-living" Altair's memories could somehow be the one talking, or for some reason Altair has his accent. Doubtful, but it would explain the accent.

I probably would have preferred it if he didn't talk much, if at all. The way he was talking, and that he was talking at all, made him sound too much like a hero and not enough of an anti-hero. He's an assassin, after all.

Lordgrunty11
07-13-2007, 09:03 PM
nice theory

thats pretty much confirmed so its not a theory </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never heard that before, who said?

moqqy
07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
nice theory

thats pretty much confirmed so its not a theory </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never heard that before, who said? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the devs

Lordgrunty11
07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
they revealed the storyline before it came out after they've been so tight lipped all this time? where?

Tlepolemus7
07-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm all for him speaking in arabic, with subtitles. If not that, maybe an arab accent?

If you can't make out what someone with a hint of an accent is saying, you need to get out more.

chewie1890
07-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Tlepolemus7:
I'm all for him speaking in arabic, with subtitles. If not that, maybe an arab accent?

If you can't make out what someone with a hint of an accent is saying, you need to get out more.

I'll drink to that.

Though voice acting has never been a big deal to me in action games, in RPGs it bothers me if it's not good quality but I think I can handle it in ACs case. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Moseman894
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
You say that Altair should have an Arabic Accent, yet we don't even know his nationality at the time. He could not be arabic and be named after someone/something Arabic.(Altair = the Flying Eagle)
In any of the screens where you see his face he looks more English-American than anything.

moqqy
07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Moseman894:
You say that Altair should have an Arabic Accent, yet we don't even know his nationality at the time. He could not be arabic and be named after someone/something Arabic.(Altair = the Flying Eagle)
In any of the screens where you see his face he looks more English-American than anything.

his father is a muslim and mother a christian

ScytheOfGrim
07-13-2007, 11:08 PM
i want him to speak arabic, then i want an option to turn off subtitles!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

it'll be the first arabic video game.

and i can understand it too!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif YAY!!!

boogymonster199
07-13-2007, 11:33 PM
well his parents are of mixed origins, maby the combination of accents sounds oddly american, like opposite extremes making a medium or something

Tlepolemus7
07-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Don't be stupid, a mix of english and arab doesn't make american.

And we know its genetic memory, not stupid 'back from the future' type stuff, so its not like he is just using the accent that he'll have in the future.

He should speak arabic or at the very least speak with an arabic accent. Anything else is just lazyness =D

Kaxen6
07-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Altair's voice just doesn't register correctly in my brain... Maybe an Arab accent would help. The voice just sounded so flat altogether, if it was a little worse I'd almost imagine I was watching badly dubbed anime (though I swear they go out of their way to be terrible in some anime like when the Chinese guy has a more British sounding accent than the British guy...anyhow, completely rambling off-topic...)... I'd be totally game for arabic with subtitles... that sounds fun...

Though I think the "let's settle this with honor" line threw me off the most. That just doesn't sound like an assassin-y thing to say! I need my precious moral ambiguity!

Tlepolemus7
07-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I didn't even think it was altair was talking for a while. When I realized, a little part of me died.

Skaevola
07-14-2007, 02:09 AM
YOUR BASIC SPOILER ALERT!!

Here's my speculation (because I am equally horrified with Altair's Amercan accent): Altair's memory is, at least to some extent, being "played" by his descendant, right? How do you talk to people in a game? Through a headset! Even in a game where your character has a totally different voice from the player, it doesn't change the sound of the player's voice. Altair is the one who actually said it, but the descendant (who I'm assuming for te sake of argument is American) has to say it since he's "playing" Altair's memory. (Just think, he may even be talking in his artificial sleep!)

I know how totally desperate this is, but there has to be a reason somewhere! Ubisoft isn't made of idiots!

Also:
"Though I think the "let's settle this with honor" line threw me off the most. That just doesn't sound like an assassin-y thing to say! I need my precious moral ambiguity!"

Well, it seems to me that, at this particular place in history, The Hashashin were the most honorable folk around. Sure, they killed a lot of people by sneaking, but that may be just because they were unbelievably outnumbered (see last years E3 demo). After all, the Hashashin were the people killing the people without honor (using the Crusades to their own ends). But if Altair has a chance to face his opponent fairly, he has no reason why not to, thus, "Let us settle this with honor!"

The Crusades was a horrible time in history for honor/morality, and it seems to me that the Hashashin was the group doing the most honoable stuff. IMHO, there is certainly nothing dishonorable about the kind of assassins they were.

EDIT: Here's sothing else I thought of: Maybe it was just a bad line. Of course, he couldn't be Arabic with that line, but maybe, just maybe, he has an English accent and the voice actor just messed it up. Hey, we can hope!

olendvcook
07-14-2007, 02:23 AM
if they have some fancy equipment to go into his memories you would think they would have a voice modifier.

sireatsalot91
07-14-2007, 02:28 AM
maybe Altair spoke English for E3 and subtitles would be kinda difficult for that many people to read, despite the gigantic screen, and Ubisoft wanted people to not get mad at missing something he said. I can't come up with a reason why they didn't get an actor with an accent or anything.

Here's my speculation (because I am equally horrified with Altair's Amercan accent): Altair's memory is, at least to some extent, being "played" by his descendant, right? How do you talk to people in a game? Through a headset! Even in a game where your character has a totally different voice from the player, it doesn't change the sound of the player's voice. Altair is the one who actually said it, but the descendant (who I'm assuming for te sake of argument is American) has to say it since he's "playing" Altair's memory. (Just think, he may even be talking in his artificial sleep!)

I don't think the descendant is actually "playing" as Altair, but rather Altair's memory is playing as a kind of movie and the descendant is watching it in Altair's eyes.

ilnadmy
07-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Moseman894:

Are you suggesting that there were Americans in 1199? O.o

That's what's really annoying, it's that the American accent is such a modern thing that having it in such a historically-based game sort of kills any sense of authenticity. The British accent in Prince of Persia didn't sound out of place since there were British people way back when. But American? Sorry doesn't fly.

And yes, I would LOVE Arabic voice-overs. I would just turn off the subtitles. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Altair_92
07-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Come on! Are you guys even appreciating what they're giving us. All of this freedom and authenticity and you guys are complaining about 1 persons voice?! Id be pissed if I had been working on this game for 4 years and then found posts about people picking apart this game.

I liked his voice. Everyones opinion is their own. i just think that you guys should pay attention to what your getting, which is a game like none other, and not a small thing like this.

wollbert23
07-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Phillip Shahbaz does his voice, kinda looks like David blaine.

ALSAKR
07-14-2007, 03:38 PM
الطير speaks all languages very well, to well control the situation in every place. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

ilnadmy
07-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ALSAKR:
الطير speaks all languages very well, to well control the situation in every place. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

It's actually Al-6a2er (sorry I don't have an Arabic keyboard), not Al-6ayr.

fr4nz1988
07-14-2007, 04:12 PM
About historical accuracy: American English is closer to Medieval English than British English. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

But another point. People in other countries don't speak English with accents but another, own language http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
People here in Germany don't talk in German English to each other, but in German.
So why should Altair have an Arabic accent? Either he should speak Arabic, Aramaic or something like that or he should speak proper English. Everything else would just be Hollywood reality.

ilnadmy
07-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by fr4nz1988:
About historical accuracy: American English is closer to Medieval English than British English. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

But another point. People in other countries don't speak English with accents but another, own language http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
People here in Germany don't talk in German English to each other, but in German.
So why should Altair have an Arabic accent? Either he should speak Arabic, Aramaic or something like that or he should speak proper English. Everything else would just be Hollywood reality.

That's true, except that ALL the NPCs in the game speak with an Arabic accent, so the fact that he's the only one who speaks with an American accent is very annoying.

Another example I just thought of is Kratos in God of War. While he doesn't speak with a Greek accent, he has a very neutral accent, which is fine. He does NOT have an American accent, which is key, because the American dialect is historically a relatively new inflection.

waffletom
07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by sireatsalot91:
I don't think the descendant is actually "playing" as Altair, but rather Altair's memory is playing as a kind of movie and the descendant is watching it in Altair's eyes.

You're right about that, the descendant is just watching.

As for the accent (and the language), i've heard that the reason for this is due to some sort of translation program being used by the decendant. From what i've heard, most of the NPCs in the game will speak Arabic until targetted, following that they'll then speak english.

ilnadmy
07-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by waffletom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sireatsalot91:

You're right about that, the descendant is just watching.

As for the accent (and the language), i've heard that the reason for this is due to some sort of translation program being used by the decendant. From what i've heard, most of the NPCs in the game will speak Arabic until targetted, following that they'll then speak english. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again not true, if you watch the E3 videos when Altair climbs some buildings in plain sight of other NPCs, they say in accented English, "He's going to hurt himself, I tell you."

waffletom
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Again not true, if you watch the E3 videos when Altair climbs some buildings in plain sight of other NPCs, they say in accented English, "He's going to hurt himself, I tell you."

As i said, that was based on what i'd heard.

Did you notice anyone speaking in Arabic? If the translation theory is correct, then it may only affect people in a certain radius.

Mayborn
07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi,
I've seen the trailer and I'm very impressed with the amount of detail gone into the game. The people all look the part the clothes look from that period. The accents from the NPC's sound from that period.

The only one BIG thing which clearly stands out like a sore thumb is the accent of our main hero.
I have to agree with the peoples opinions here, He does sound distinctly American. Which ruins the whole feel of the game for me. Apart from that it looks and sounds convincing that i am in Jerusalem.

About what some people have said asking that Altair speaks in Arabic with English subtitles.
Well that would be a bold idea indeed. It might even land them a place in the history books.

But i feel it would be easier if our character spoke in English in the important dialog and cut scenes. But in the rough and tumble of the streets it would be really cool if he spoke in Arabic. For example while his pushing his way past people through the city. Or just gets fed up with beggars, he could say Get out of my way' in Arabic while throwing them to the floor.
Or when he receives a band aid or some money. He could say Thank you' in Arabic.

This way it would be quite educational and very interesting at the same time. It would be easy to pick up what his saying in my opinion, unless ofcorse you have a closed mind and refuse to understand.

So in conclusion... I would really like it if our hero spoke English mostly and with a hint of an Arabic accent.
It would be soo cool, authentic and original. Like I was really there in the medieval ages.

But alas I doubt they will change his voice now. The guy who does his voice now is alright and I can live with it. Its just that at the moment the voice doesn't have that "wow" factor it's a shame when nearly everything else has that wow' factor.

HAUNT3D
07-14-2007, 06:46 PM
the game is gonna have subtitles anyways... he could easily have an arabic accent. they could even make everyone speak arabic or yiddish and all that if they wanted to and i think the game would be even better.

why, though, is he a damn white guy in facial features and skin color though? probably the futuristic element, i think.

ilnadmy
07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Let's give Ubi some credit, he doesn't look THAT white. Plus I don't understand what people mean when they say he has "white facial features".

I've been to a bunch of different forums and honestly many people are complaining about the voice of Altair, so it's not just a few people around this site, and from a programming perspective probably the EASIEST thing for them to change is the voice; just get someone to come in and re-record the guy's lines, and replace them in the scenes. That's why I'm holding out some hope of it being changed.

HAUNT3D
07-14-2007, 07:01 PM
he's a middle eastern shi'ite muslim. this guy looks more like tom cruise than saddam hussein (i know, he was a sunni.) flat nose, rounded features,TAN SKIN, curly non-caucasoid dark colored hair... you know, kinda like JESUS probably had.

maybe that's the point? maybe this secret organization he works for began in ancient times and continues till now, and really has no national/racial/religious affiliation? kinda like "The League of Shadows" in batman begins?

ilnadmy
07-14-2007, 07:10 PM
So...where are you getting this "Shi'ite" thing from, if I may be so bold as to ask?

HAUNT3D
07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
the hashashin or Nizari, as they were originally called, were a group of fiercely persecuted and militant Shi'ite Muslims. the whole "hashashin" meaning "hashish smoker" is by some thought to be a kind of slur created by other Islamic groups and europeans. yes, i know, it probably doesn't even mean hashish smoker, but there are 100 different names for the group anyways. UBISoft simply chose to believe that the word "Assassin" was derived from the word "Hashashin." The origin of the word "Assassin" is heavily debated.

they also were called "fedayeen."

anyways, it's kinda like the whole "Devout Catholic" Christians and "Protestant" Christian conflict.

Skaevola
07-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Before I had ever even heard of Assassin's Creed, I read on Wikipedia that the word Assassin was derived from "Ashes Sheen", because they would coat their faces in ashes to blend in with the dark. AC has been a very edumacational expeience for me!

Tatersalad810
07-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Does it really matter what he sounds like? I mean sure he's supposed to be middle eastern but as long as he sounds cool like Darth Vader or Sam Fisher I'll be fine with it.

Darth Vader was a white dude but they had an african american do the voice acting. (The name escapes me but I've seen him act in several different movies as a king or figure of power.)

It's not that big of a deal. That's like complaining about the women if they weren't covered a whole lot like they are nowadays.

MeAltairLol
07-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by kekti:
hmm could be cause he's from serbia? or from a part of eastern europe
Eastern Europeans don't sound either American, nor Arabic... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ilnadmy
07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Tatersalad810:
Does it really matter what he sounds like? I mean sure he's supposed to be middle eastern but as long as he sounds cool like Darth Vader or Sam Fisher I'll be fine with it.

Darth Vader was a white dude but they had an african american do the voice acting. (The name escapes me but I've seen him act in several different movies as a king or figure of power.)

It's not that big of a deal. That's like complaining about the women if they weren't covered a whole lot like they are nowadays.

Right, but Altair doesn't sound cool. If he did sound cool I wouldn't be complaining lol.

How would you feel if they got 50 Cent to voice Darth Vader? A little extreme example, but still it brings the point across. Sure it was voiced by a black guy, but he sounded like he was supposed to. I personally couldn't care less who voices Altair, as long as it sounds cool. An American accent in Jerusalem, however, is NOT cool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SCARFACE_47
07-15-2007, 09:35 AM
i hope they will use the same voices like in prince of persia and than do the voicover for germany coz here for example the prince is voiced over by the german voice of johnny depp and the hitman 47 by wesley snipes (who also does martin lawrence)
vin diesel or bruce willis would be cool for altair, but i think the best would be colin farel OR hugh grant

Mayborn
07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Does it really matter what he sounds like?
well.... in a nutshell, it doesn't really matter, BUT...
for a game that prides itself in being historically accurate it matters allot!!

Its like playing the Total War games who pride themselves in being historically accurate only to find that the generals of each nation all speak with American accents.
It would spoil the imagery of it if you know what I mean.

In conclusion.... Its going to confuse allot of people if Altair speaks with an American accent where America never even existed in that period.
PS. i'll still buy the game never the less

ScytheOfGrim
07-15-2007, 10:29 AM
his voice isn't bad, give him that people...but you're right, should have more of an arabic accent.

OR he could speak arabic fully!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NeVerDown.
07-15-2007, 10:37 AM
"Come down, and let us settle this with honour" sounded kinda coolio to me..

altairiscool
07-15-2007, 11:05 AM
I would love if they made him speak arabic and then had subtitles. But I was also thinking that maybe the future people maybe had a translator.

SCARFACE_47
07-15-2007, 11:37 AM
this reminds me a bit of segas yakuza; a lot of people here (in ger) complained about the english voice over, because it sounded too much ad if you were in harlem than in tokyo

Clonage2006
07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Arabic with english subtitles sounds fine to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I don't mind a little reading.

ThePheonix1030
07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Clonage2006:
Arabic with english subtitles sounds fine to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I don't mind a little reading.
Personally, I think it's more professional having subtitles...

MeAltairLol
07-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ThePheonix1030:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clonage2006:
Personally, I think it's more professional having subtitles... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif 100%... plus it'll be more realistic.

altairiscool
07-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by MeAltairLol:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThePheonix1030:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clonage2006:
Personally, I think it's more professional having subtitles... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif 100%... plus it'll be more realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>well not really cuz usually when I'm walking around and hear someone speak a different language I don't see the translation at the bottom of my eyes but obviously I also want that so I not really argueing.

ThePheonix1030
07-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by altairiscool:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MeAltairLol:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThePheonix1030:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif 100%... plus it'll be more realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>well not really cuz usually when I'm walking around and hear someone speak a different language I don't see the translation at the bottom of my eyes but obviously I also want that so I not really argueing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I kind of thought about that, too...how hard can reading subtitles while playing be? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Mayborn
07-15-2007, 12:55 PM
OK, You won me over,
What better way to learn a new language while having tons of fun.

I'm all for Altair speaking in Arabic!

but i'm also not opposed to the idea of him speaking in English with an Arabic accent.

I wonder if anyone actually takes notice to these forums, lol

JACKREAPER564
07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
IF ALTAIR DINT TALK IN ENGLISH WE WOULDNT UNDERSTAND SO PLEASE DONT MAKE THE DEVELOPERS OF THE GAME CHANGE THEIR MIND http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
THE REAPER IS BACK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

JACKREAPER564
07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
DONT MAKE THE DEVELPERS MIND CHANGE PLEASE LET THEM DO THEIR WORK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifTHE REAPER IS BACK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

altairiscool
07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
subtitles buddy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif and dont double post or else you will be banned.

ensangfroid
07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
"[monotone] Come down here. Let's settle this with honor. (or else I'll hunt you down and stab you in the back...)"

The more game play footage they show, the more cautious I'm becoming with my optimism. Dangerous assassins shouldn't jump out of the shadows and shout to their targets, "Come out and fight me, man-to-man!"

I really hope they're going to work on the voice acting (if not the dialogue). Much of the other characters were good, but Altair sounded like he was reading from cue cards behind the guards' backs.

I think Arabic would be really cool. I mean, it IS rated M, so anyone who's playing SHOULD be old enough to read the subtitles. I think it would be better than the Arabic accents; adding accents to make the location seem more "authentic" is like dubbing over old Kung Fu movies with "Chinese accents" like, "Hoooooo~ How brave of YOU, grasshopper - to fight ME - in kung FU - hooooo~" or to think that Native American peoples spoke in third person and broken English like, "Big Bear Chief make peace offering. Smoke'm Peace-pipe." I mean, they focused so much on the surroundings and making them historically correct, but they seemed to gloss over the dialogue (as far as we've seen).

I have my doubts, however, that they even have enough time now to hire translators and go over hours and hours of dialogue, recast the extras of the crowd to speak in Arabic, et cetera, even if they wanted to give the gamer the option of Arabic or English (maybe even make subtitles optional if you're confidant in your centuries old Arabic or think they're distracting while you're playing in English).

Perhaps they didn't think it as through as they could?

rogue_tom
07-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Unless it's a part of the story he really shouldn't sound American. If it's someone watching a memory or is the past there is no reason why he would sound american.

I don't understand why they would go to the effort of having the npcs with proper accents but not the main character.

If he sounded french or german i bet there would be alot more complaints.

danny.b87
07-15-2007, 03:04 PM
well maybe its easier for the gamers that he talks american...
but hey maybe he sometimes say something in arabic maybe he learned more languages
hey its an idea you know i could be like that

HAUNT3D
07-15-2007, 03:37 PM
AC is not a stealth game. Ubisoft has clearly stated that it is an action combat game and NOT stealth.

Altair is not a ninja, and the word Assassin does not have any thing to do with stealth.

Typical modern day assassins commonly do as the original Hashasin did: they blatantly murder their targets in front of the populace so that everyone can watch and there is no question about how they died or who killed them. Nowadays, they run up and shoot political leaders with pistols, much like what happened to Abraham Lincoln. They don't just want the kill, they want to make a point.

any person doing something they believe is good for the people or righteous has no reason to hide.

Back on topic-

It is doubtful that it will be placed in Arabic with subtitles. Even though there is plenty of time to redo all the dialog and add subtitles. there probably isn't going to be a whole lot of talking, anyhow. people are gonna have a hard time talking with my knife in their eyeball.. lol probably more of a gurgling sound and i think that language is universal...

i think it will probably remain how it is right now. i do wish he had an accent, though. that is a real easy fix.

Mayborn
07-15-2007, 03:41 PM
We might be complaining about an issue that does not exist.
All I've heard him speak is 1 sentence. He might actually sound authentic.

But I would prefer native tongues and subtitles. But I'm not fussy in that area.

HeresToAtomBomb
07-15-2007, 03:54 PM
It is merely because, economically, it is the most viable solution as the majority of people who will purchase this game speak English. It is a major turnoff, for some, to have to endure a videogame - at this point, of unspecified length - listening to character speaking another language even if it was done to be historically accurate. Ubisoft Montreal/the other affiliates may want to make the game as realistic as possible; however, they would never allow curtailing their revenue for the sole purpose of accuracy. That is bad economics.

ilnadmy
07-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Right so maybe it's not all in Arabic, but at least no American-accented English. I mean that's a very easy fix and it would do a LOT to change the atmosphere of the game. Plus, the voice actor sucks as it is, accent or no accent.

steveo1991_sj
07-15-2007, 04:07 PM
would u rather read subtitles or just understand what he was saying..and even if he did have an arabic accent then more ppl would complain because he wouldn't be speaking his language so im all for him speaking english w/o an arabic accent so i can focus on the game and besides who wants to read while playing a game?

Mayborn
07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by steveo1991_sj:
would u rather read subtitles or just understand what he was saying..and even if he did have an arabic accent then more ppl would complain because he wouldn't be speaking his language so im all for him speaking english w/o an arabic accent so i can focus on the game and besides who wants to read while playing a game?
Loool dude, you sound too young to even be able to buy this game.
Firstly when his speaking you wont be playing' as such. You'll be listening or reading (if you're deaf). Its not like his going to have a full on conversation with someone while you're attacking and being attacked.
You're other point didn't make any sense. I think you where saying its worse if Altair (a middle eastern guy) sounds middle eastern and speaks English and better if he sounds American and speaking English.
Hmmm, which translates into... Kingdom of heaven the film would have been better if Saladin spoke with an American accent, rather than a middle eastern one

I'm puzzled by your logic but hey just to humour you......
You know what, while there at it why don't they make everyone sound and look American while wearing track-suites and removing allot of the non important villagers from the game Because it just adds allot of unneeded story and feeling.
All I want is to focus completing the game without any distractions like accents or reading.
I don't want a rich realistic story with rich characters and designs.
Heck, I'd be happy if our heroes name was Hank Johnson'. It would make things easier for me.

PS. I'm not fussed weather he speaks in his native tongue or not, As long as he sounds the part.

ensangfroid
07-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by HAUNT3D:
AC is not a stealth game. Ubisoft has clearly stated that it is an action combat game and NOT stealth.

Altair is not a ninja, and the word Assassin does not have any thing to do with stealth.

Typical modern day assassins commonly do as the original Hashasin did: they blatantly murder their targets in front of the populace so that everyone can watch and there is no question about how they died or who killed them. Nowadays, they run up and shoot political leaders with pistols, much like what happened to Abraham Lincoln. They don't just want the kill, they want to make a point.

any person doing something they believe is good for the people or righteous has no reason to hide.

Back on topic-

It is doubtful that it will be placed in Arabic with subtitles. Even though there is plenty of time to redo all the dialog and add subtitles. there probably isn't going to be a whole lot of talking, anyhow. people are gonna have a hard time talking with my knife in their eyeball.. lol probably more of a gurgling sound and i think that language is universal...

i think it will probably remain how it is right now. i do wish he had an accent, though. that is a real easy fix.

You're right. "Assassin" isn't about stealth, it's about smoking narcotics, but I doubt Altair will be running around drugged up, either. The assassinations (and attempts) you're thinking of (presidents, movement leaders, musical idols, et cetera) are usually made by mentally ill people. They think that they will be praised and rewarded for killing the people they kill, that it is their destiny, or that the person is evil, part of some sort of conspiracy, things of that nature. They acted of their own accord. They weren't trained assassins, they weren't part of an assassin's guild or political agency.

When you think of "professional assassinations," you should think of the CIA of the United States' attempts at foreign leaders, the USSR making sure people who thought ill of the Communist Party would disappear, the Mafia of Sicily and North America removing "people of interest" from the living populace (massive shoot outs and massacres were rare; many murders were low profile, with the bodies dumped on the side of the road, and in ditches and rivers) and other such regimes.

I still doubt there would be enough time. The game is probably between 10-20 hours. There's probably about two to three hours of dialogue, between everything. They would have to first hire translators, audition voice actors, cast and record them, sync the animation (lips) to the voices and vice versa. Then they would have to sync the subtitles underneath everything (though they might have already done that for the English language). It would take several months, if they rush it, and it's only four months until release. By now they should only be working out as many bugs as possible, not adding in a completely new component. It's simply too late, but it still would have been nice to have the option of either Arabic or English, like choosing between two languages of a foreign film: the original language, or the dub.

Tatersalad810
07-15-2007, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tatersalad810:

How would you feel if they got 50 Cent to voice Darth Vader? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that would be really funny and I would NOT complain.

ilnadmy
07-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Actually that would be really funny and I would NOT complain.

lol yeah it would be pretty funny, but it would ruin the entire movie.

Reynard1985
07-16-2007, 12:40 PM
hello everyone. I am new to these forums, but after the E3 presentation I felt urged to come here to understand why Altair has an American accent. This was the one thing that allowed for me to basically get dis-concentrated from the rest of the game for it wasn't in accordance to the rest of the time setting. Fortunately I saw this thread had already been created, so I will just state my preoccupations.

I am hoping that this was just a demo dev version in which voice overs have just been placed there for time constraints for the E3 showing. The same thing happened with the Fable trailer at E3 2004 in which the young hero came out to ponder upon what the future will hold with an American schoolboy accent. This of course got all fans extremely riled up seeing as it was going to ruin the feeling of Albion. Of course it mattered little seeing as the hero never actually got to speak in the game.

Anyhow, as I have been reading this thread, I went over the different opinions and ideas. All the way from those people who wouldn't give a **** if Altair had a cockney accent, just as long as they were able to lice arms and limbs around, all the way to those who like me would like more consistency within the game and have Altair speak with an Arabic Accent (something like Sayid's accent in Lost), to also those who want to go even farther and have Altair speak in Arabic and have subtitles which I must say is a very ingenious idea, but probably wont occur.

I am not really in the position to speak for everyone, but in my opinion, I would feel the game ruined a bit if Altair had that new age American accent... even a rough Irish or French accent would do Altair more good.

GPNM
07-16-2007, 03:47 PM
He definitely needs to have an Arabic accent.

Though...it might be tied in to the whole sci-fi twist that we've been speculating on.

AVandelay
07-16-2007, 05:05 PM
This doesn't make since, here's a video I found on Youtube of Philip Shahbaz, the actor who voices Altair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9fa7xVUcgs
It appears he can speak Arabic pretty convincingly, at least from an American perspective.(I'd need someone fluent in Arabic to tell me if that's good or not, and to be honest, I can't really tell if that is Arabic, or another Middle Eastern Language.)
The voice in the gameplay movie doesn't even sound like his American accent. Perhaps it's just a placeholder?

GPNM
07-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by AVandelay:
This doesn't make since, here's a video I found on Youtube of Philip Shahbaz, the actor who voices Altair.
It appears he can speak Arabic pretty convincingly, at least from an American perspective.(I'd need someone fluent in Arabic to tell me if that's good or not, and to be honest, I can't really tell if that is Arabic, or another Middle Eastern Language.)
The voice in the gameplay movie doesn't even sound like his American accent. Perhaps it's just a placeholder?

You might just be right...hoping so.

chewie1890
07-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Yah know why I think he has an American accent? While they were in the cut scene he held down his head button. Remember Jade saying that people would be speaking in foreign tongues and you would have to have intuition active to have it translated? Perhaps it was being implemented right there.. I could be dead wrong though...

Woody990
07-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by chewie1890:
Remember Jade saying that people would be speaking in foreign tongues and you would have to have intuition active to have it translated?

I didn't know this so if its true I think it may be that Altair is speaking arabic but the futureistic stuff is just translating it for the user.

DeLMrcs
07-16-2007, 06:24 PM
If you watch the interview with Patrice he says halfway through that when someone is being bullied and you approach them a small cutscene will show Altar speaking Arabic telling them to stop. See what he say also about the game:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4120_en.html

By the way I'm new sort of, just never got around to posting.

NinjaHayate
07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
the arabic sounds good. but when he said the name of the traveler it didnt sound very convincing. he might be using an accent im not acostumed to. otherwise the arabic sounds great.

SloppyCracker
07-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah the accent sounds... bleh.

simulacra
07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
He kinda sounds like david hayter in mgs2, which voice acting were terrible, he sounded to gung ho and over acted the lines...

scatheofshadows
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
his voice didnt sound like a big bad mofo voice just kinda...well normal and yeah not arabic....

moqqy
07-19-2007, 06:17 AM
theres a confirmation that altair DOES speak arabic! wohoo. at least in some cut scenes.

bobbysingh99
07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
hmm the whole using a translate buttun in cutscenes would get annoying after a while!

plus i dont think they would want to double the diolouge by having it in 2 languages (unless theyre doing this anyway for the arabic version of the game)

ah im confused and probaby set to be more confused during the cut scenes :P

ScytheOfGrim
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
i heard about that moqqy.

but i dont think there will be subtitles for what he says, cuz i think it will be only like a sentence or two, soooooooo...maybe not worth translating??

doesnt make a difference cuz i'll understand anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

SCARFACE_47
07-19-2007, 07:38 AM
i want him beeing voiceacted by the guy who voice acted tony montana since al pacinos voice changed too much
imagine.....DIE YOU ***** **** **** CRUSADER **** ******

a-secret-threat
07-19-2007, 11:51 AM
we all can agree on that he needs a new voice and maybe a different accent but it must be easy to listen and understand... enough said

so i dont double post....

theres a confirmation that altair DOES speak arabic! wohoo. at least in some cut scenes.

he says history is rare for north-americans.. sry but i think hes a jerk now.. thats uncalled for since america will probably be spending the most money to get this game..(idk if im right on that).. u dont instult your customers

bobbylucifer
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
idk, i personally (being english) find the widespread view of the average american as ignorant hilarious - it takes some balls to insult your own consumer base. to be honest though i doubt america will be spending more money on it than the rest of the world combined (being that ubi isn't even american).

ilnadmy
07-20-2007, 10:05 PM
I think he was more commenting on the fact that history isn't a focus of North American schools, since he was referring to something he learned while in school. I don't think he's offending his consumer base lol.

So Philip Shahnaz or whatever his name is is voicing Altair? He sounds really different than the dude in the E3 demo...maybe that was just a placeholder voice? Who knows. Either way, this Philip guy doesn't speak PERFECT Arabic in that YouTube video. It's good, but his name is Persian, so he probably doesn't speak Arabic as a first language.

sireatsalot91
07-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I agree with him, and I'm American! Seriously, the majority of Americans could give half a rat's *** about history. I think it's cool, but once in my class we got really offtopic and a student actually got into an argument with the teacher about wether water was blue or not. This is not a lie, not a joke, but the truth. A group of girls honestly thought that water was blue. That's how interested the majortiy are in history. Eddie Izzard also commented on how bad we are with history in one of his acts: "...and this building was made FIFTY YEARS AGO!""No! That's impossible!...We weren't ALIVE then!". It's a pretty funny act.

ScytheOfGrim
07-20-2007, 11:33 PM

his arabic is good, but he cant pronounce some of the deeper letters that arabic is famous for.

i dont think i could stand arabic like that in a game im gonna be playing 24/7 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

but then again...its better than the arabic in kingdom of heaven...

Clonage2006
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Hope you're Right.

HaydenMisenti
10-08-2017, 02:24 AM
America didn't exist (well, no one was knew about it) in the early AD years

andynaruto10
10-12-2017, 01:05 AM
10 years necro, LOL!

RedSpider
10-12-2017, 01:22 AM
I too was a little taken aback to see this thread revived.

Moultonborough
10-12-2017, 01:25 AM
I think it rather impressive to necro a thread after a decade goes by LOL.