PDA

View Full Version : outside temperature in IL2

general_kalle
02-07-2008, 06:50 AM
in outside temperature moddeled in IL2?

that would mean that in africa you'r engine would overheat very easily and in Finland and other snowy places it would be harder than in Normandy for example?

JG53Frankyboy
02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
it is moddeled.
and it has influence on the overheat of the planes.

to check the maps temperature , use as example the He111 - over your head on the right side is a temp gauge.

SeaFireLIV
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Yea, it`s easy. Fly a Spit Vb on desert terrain or Hurricane or any plane you`re used to in the desert and get ready to open up that radiater quick!

K_Freddie
02-07-2008, 07:53 AM
On one of the North africa maps, take off at midday, and fly overland then fly out to sea.. you'll notice a big difference. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEBillfish
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
New Guinea no difference that I can recall.....In fact, most. As far as I "know" (meaning have seen), only the original Africa has the condition that affects heating and cooling.....Temperature may BE different, yet it doesn't seem to have an effect.

VW-IceFire
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
You may not notice it but most maps have their own temperatures. The winter maps are of course cold and therefore overheat takes longer, temperate maps are somewhat variable but similar, some of the Pacific maps are similar to temperate maps or slightly hotter but not significantly different in overheat times and finally the desert maps are the hottest. I think most have been adjusted to relatively conservative temperature numbers as some planes could barely make it off the ground without overheating and cooking the engine in earlier patches.

Someone did a great comparison test somewhere that I'm remembering most of this from.

HuninMunin
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
The temperature can be set by the map maker to be anything he likes ( in Celcius ).
One could easily list the exact figures for each map here, but it would be a tremendous step towards the dark side.

OMK_Hand
02-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Temperature drops with altitude also.

SeaFireLIV
02-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think most have been adjusted to relatively conservative temperature numbers as some planes could barely make it off the ground without overheating and cooking the engine in earlier patches.

I remember. Online we in Spits (or Hurris) got airborne and then before we`d even begun to climb we overheated. This made dogfighting extremely difficult as 109s did not seem to suffer as much.

It`s definitely been changed since then. Personally, I`d have kept it the former way if that`s how it was, but it`s hard to imagine that it was. Of course, I don`t know.

Lurch1962
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
To be sure, this game does model a more-or-less normal, or "standard" decrease in temperature with altitude, for all maps. Depending on the locale and/or season a map represents, the ground level temp will vary.

I get the impression from a couple of posts here that some folks believe that there is also a horizontal temperature gradient between land and water. I doubt this! That would be an unnecessary level of detail, for at least two reasons:

1) If this were to be handled properly, then the real-world temp reversal which often occurs between day and night should also be "modeled". In other words, warmer land during the day (sea breeze), and then warmer water at night (land breeze).

2) The altitude range at which this horizontal gradient occurs is not very deep, being confined to, say, the lowest couple hundred meters or so. Moreover, the thermally-induced winds (land and sea breezes) tend to turbulently mix and therefore "diffuse" out the differences before they have a chance to become significantly large.

Fork-N-spoon
02-07-2008, 07:04 PM
This is only a guess, but in the couple of years that I've played this game, I'd have to say that the outside temperature is rather comfortable in that I've always played in short sleeves.

VW-IceFire
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think most have been adjusted to relatively conservative temperature numbers as some planes could barely make it off the ground without overheating and cooking the engine in earlier patches.

I remember. Online we in Spits (or Hurris) got airborne and then before we`d even begun to climb we overheated. This made dogfighting extremely difficult as 109s did not seem to suffer as much.

It`s definitely been changed since then. Personally, I`d have kept it the former way if that`s how it was, but it`s hard to imagine that it was. Of course, I don`t know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the issue is ultimately that some of the cooling systems on some of the aircraft don't work quite the way they do in real life. So while some stay cool forever others heat up rapidly and overheat and cause damage. With maps like that the problem is compounded and it exposes weaknesses in the modeling. Thats just a theory and a guess but I can't imagine Spitfires being limited to 60% throttle rads full open in desert conditions while a 109 can fly around all day at 90% with the rads half open. There are other types also similarly affected but those two always get the attention http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif