PDA

View Full Version : Do you use default depths for torps?

Sgt_Starbuck
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Or do you find different depths better for different types of ships?

Sarge

Mittelwaechter
04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
It depends on what fuse you want to use. This depends on weather and firing position as on the year of campaign and what you want to attack.
Did I miss something?

Soon there shows up some english speaking nice guy to tell you the secrets...

Goose_Green
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Until finding out about draft heights and the more interesting ways of making torpedoes work for you I have never used the default depths, you can't beat setting a torpedo to a depth of a metre or so below the targets draft height and setting the fuse to magnetic....KABOOM!! and then happily watch while the ship breaks in half!! It's all to do with a bit of physics and letting gravity work for you....

Or you could use the impact fuse for sheer brute force and aim at a ships ammo or fuel bunker!!!

Sometimes 1 torpedo is enough to kill a merchant or even a warship when the torpedo is set accordingly

Realjambo
04-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree with Goose on this one. I rarely if ever use the set torp depths - I always check the recognition manual and personally I prefer the 'old 1 metre below' method with fuse set to magnetic.

Interstingly, and to back up what Goose says, I have a good friend who serves on Frigates in the British Navy and he says nowadays pretty much every country use this method, as the force of an explosion below the keel of a ship and the water pressure afterwards that it creates is quite devastating.

Goose_Green
04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey RealJambo you have reminded me of a post on this forum a few months back with pictures and narative of how an old Australian naval vessel was used as target practice for a new torpedo that used the very method mentioned above...not sure where it is, probably page 100 or so!

Realjambo
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Goose

OT, glad to see you're displaying your winning sig banner! and also that you got it edited to say 'March' - that had been niggling me - given the take up for April os going well, so thanks for getting that done, did HelpPlease do it for you? I ought to thank him if he did.

Kaleun1961
04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I like to play as realistically as possible, for two reasons: I like the challenge and also to overcome the weaknesses of the game. [That being said, I like to use certain computer aids which help me translate the abstract to the limited dimensions of the virtual world.] I know that historically, magnetic torpedoes were a flop for the Germans and this is not accurately modelled in this game. So for me, most of the time I do not use magnetic shots.

I like to set the running depth of my torpedoes to 3 metres for smaller vessels, like coastal merchants. On bigger freighters and tankers with a deep draft, I usually set my torpedoes to run at 6 metres. My guideline for impact torpedoes is about 2-3 metres above the keel, in order not to have them bounce off the rounded hull. Although it is possible in this game to set your torpedoes to run at 1 metre or even 0.5 metre, I think the game does not model the effect the surface waves would have on such torpedoes.

If I find myself in a less than optimal attack position [at a severe angle to target and not much opportunity to improve the angle to something more perpendicular] then I opt for a magnetic detonator and set the running depth for 1 metre below the keel and hope for a hit. With magnetic pistols, I try to keep the range as short as possible. I've found that the longer the torpedos runs, the higher the possibility that it will prematurely detonate. Now I know that rough weather is supposed to have an effect on them, but the truth is that surface waves really don't have an effect on a torpedo that is running at a depth of say 3-5 metres in less than storm conditions: It is not being slammed by waves, it is only subjected to the constant resistance of the water through which it is travelling. This is known as "self shock" and was the factor that afflicted the German torpedoes for the first few years of the war. In this game, I have experienced higher premature rates in bad weather. This, in my opinion, is faulty reasoning on the part of the game designers. Bad weather [i.e. waves] should only affect a torpedo that is running very close to the surface. And, in reality, what submarine commander would fire a torpedo at a running depth of 1 metre in a stormy sea? Some of the ships in this game have a very deep draft, which means that with a magnetic shot the torpedo is running at something like 12 or so metres. That's too deep to be affected by surface waves in most conditions. If the weather is that bad that a torpedo running at 12 metres is being affected by the surface conditions, then really there is no way that a U-boat would have been attacking in such weather. It would be impossible, or extremely difficult to observe the target and get the information needed to calculate a firing solution. There were Atlantic storms that were so bad that the U-boats had to call off attacking convoys, as it was impossible to operate offensively. The priority for both sides was just to survive the storm.

Goose_Green
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
OT RealJambo - just sent you a PM

lecek
04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
I use 3 meters an impact for almost all merchant targets.

I will change depths sometimes, use magnetic sometimes depending on odd conditions.

I have had a number of duds with torps set deep because of rounded bottoms of ships so I don't normally aim very low. I can sink most ships in one shot this way anyway.

I will use magnetic torps for odd angles and for example with a liner. You can sink a liner much easier with magnetics. I don't get enough of a crack at them to know how to sink them in one shot.

Mittelwaechter
04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
@ Kaleun1961

The problem with magnetic fuse in stormy seas is not the running depth but the up and down dancing of your target!
If the keel is raised by the waves, the torpedo doesn't contact the magnetic field of the ship and moves on.
And with its keel deeper down the ship presents the rounded hull to cause a bouncing off.

Four different conditions:
calm seas + good position = impact fuse at 3 meters above keel or magnetic fuse at 1 meter under keel for a "skill shot" to break the keel
calm seas + bad position = magnetic fuse at 1 meter under keel - no bouncing off
rough/stormy seas + good position = impact fuse at 3 meters above keel - magnetic settings see my comment
rough/stormy seas + bad position = try to find a better position, don't waste torpedoes.

Silva_Bullet
04-21-2006, 02:34 AM
I find the default depths to be adequate against merchants, in most cases (except the God damned C2's) but when I'm facing off against a big warship, I set the torps shallow, and aim just under either of their main batteries (that is to say, their main guns)

This way, you have a chance of igniting the ammo bunker, and it's bye bye.

In the case of C2's... well, those bastards have a really deep draught, so they require special attention. Then it's best to set the depth one or two metres below keel.

But, in response to the question, I do find the default depth to be adequate, in most cases.

Kaleun1961
04-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Good post, Mittelwaechter. I forgot to mention the obvious: that the ships keel in a storm is rising and falling. That's why in a storm I use impact pistols.

Silva: C2's are not really that difficult to kill. You do have to hit a vulnerable zone; I prefer the engines area. I laugh at C2's but my personal bugaboo is the T2 tanker. I seem to have the worst luck when attacking them.

Silva_Bullet
04-21-2006, 07:50 AM
K-61: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif With me, it's the reverse... I have no problems killing T2's, but it's the C2's I have a problem with... though I'm getting better at killing 'em. I find it's much easier to kill T2's if you aim at the fuel bunkers... I've never seen one break her back, but they sure as hell burn brightly.

Sgt_Starbuck
04-21-2006, 11:12 AM
I've been using 8.5 meters for C2's and it busts them up pretty bad. T2's I leave torp at default depth or chances are it will be deflected downward.

Sarge

horribleron
04-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree. I use magnetic pistols only when the weather is calm or I am forced to shoot at a odd angle to the target. I like to use them against Liberty and Victory ships the most because of their rounded hulls.
My formula is:
Small Merchants - 3M impact
Large Merchants - 6M impact
Liberty/Victory ships - 6.5M magnetic
Destroyers - 2M impact (or 4M magnetic for accoustic fish).
Big tankers/Liners - 7M impact.

I just sunk a DD with a accoustic fish that actually missed to the rear, circled the ship twice and then blew up under it!

Oh.. DO NOT fire accoustic fish in slavos. They will all home in on each other and make a mess of things.

Horribleron

D4689
04-21-2006, 05:16 PM
I prefer the magentic pistol for relatively calm seas and -65/+115 AoB. Impact otherwise. Though lately I have been having a lot of luck with magnetic pistols in rough seas... hmm

Virtual_Adept
04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I find it difficult not to split tankers in two. Doesn't matter what I do, impact, magnetic, depth doesn't matter (as long as the torp detonates). Doesn't seem to matter where I aim either. They explode, split, and the remains burn until they sink.
C2's are an interesting case. Sometimes I can sink 'em with one torp, sometimes it takes my full loadout. It just depends on the cargo, and where I hit 'em.

Liners...I've gotten adept at killing liners with just one torp. Of course, I don't often encounter them anymore with the GW and TW mods. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

TooFastForLove.
04-21-2006, 06:24 PM
When you guys say things like "aim for the fuel bunker, aim for the engine room..." etc. Are you using manual targeting? I always do manual targeting and I hit my targets most of the time, (surely better than 75%), I have no idea how you could hit a specific portion of the ship intentionally.

TooFastForLove.
04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Anyone?

Moustacheo
04-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Well remember that you can use the crosshairs of the periscope to aim at a particular point on the ship just as you can in automatic targeting, the difference is that how close you get to hitting that point depends on the accuracy of your data.

If you don't already I'd highly recommend finding from using the map and TDC rather than the notepad, or at least for finding the speed anyway. Also try to get as close as possible, after I calculate the enemy's course I usually go ahead flank to a position that is perpendicular to their course and 800m away. At those kind of distances it's much more of a question of whether you hit the part of the ship you wanted rather than just hitting it at all.

lecek
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
I use manual targeting.

It isn't hard to hit a specific part of the ship.

If your data is very good it is just a matter of letting the torpedo go exactly when the target zone is in the crosshairs.

I find all the 1941 ships easy to shink in one shot. (Except liners.)

I have trouble with victorys and liberties. I can sink both in one shot, but usually it takes me 2 or 3.

Whermacht02
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey you people?? How are you??
Im relatively new to SH3, but i have played SH in the good old days of DOS. Im still trying to get the most of the game (currantly i´m playing in 62% realism and it feels good)
What works for me with the torps is always setting 1 or 1.5 mts more than the depth of the keel and set the pistol to magnetic. I must admit that this has a devastating effect on the target ship. When i started playing SH3, i always used the default depth with magnetic (doh). But after doing some research on the german torpedo technology, i found out about this technique and has never dissapointed me. For me, it even works in stormy seas... Now, a question related to torps... Does someone know the exact dates on which each torp model becomes available back at port???

Tsushima
05-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Look here

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=C...#Available_Torpedoes (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Career_Timeline#Available_Torpedoe s)

Whermacht02
05-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Tsushima!! thanx my man!!! Found lots of useful info there!!! Take care!!