PDA

View Full Version : Qn Regarding Windows Firewall

IZT
02-07-2005, 07:05 AM
OK i use a router, a netgear one. Now i do not install any software firewalls but my router of course has a build in double firewall NAT and something. Can anyone let me know if it is safe to diesable my windows fire wall? and does it even help at all?

IZT
02-07-2005, 07:05 AM
OK i use a router, a netgear one. Now i do not install any software firewalls but my router of course has a build in double firewall NAT and something. Can anyone let me know if it is safe to diesable my windows fire wall? and does it even help at all?

Weather_Man
02-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes and no. You are reasonably secure with the router alone. I went years that way with no problems whatever. But, you will be a bit more secure with a software firewall also. Redunancy in security is never a bad thing.

Bottom line, you're fine without it, but more fine with it. I've opted to leave the windows firewall on. It's not a hassle at all--just specify the programs/ports you want to have internet access and your done with it.

To date, windows firewall has not blocked or notified me of a single intrusion or unauthorized goings on. So, the router does work well on the front line. Just be sure to change your default password.

SlickStick
02-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Only to add a little bit to what Weather_Man stated above, I recommend using ZoneAlarm as your software firewall. I've had a couple of bad experiences lately using WinXP's firewall and just feel that it is somewhat easier to circumvent than ZA.

Just my .02βΆ.

Firestorm07
02-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Ok, I've got Windows XP Firewall active and I have had difficulty hosting. How do you specify the program or port you want to have accessible?