PDA

View Full Version : Performance of the Radeon 9200 in FB

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 09:01 PM
I recieved a 128mb ATI Radeon 9200 SE (Slow edition /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif ) in the mail today. I ordered a 128mb 9000 regular but they appearently ran out and sent me the 9200 SE instead. Theoretically the 9000 regular is faster, but not enough to justify spending another $5 on shipping to send this one back. Anyways, I think I have it pretty much optimised now and thought I would post its performance here. I get a steady 25 fps in cockpit at excellent detail at 1024x768x32 bit with 16 bit texture compression but no AA (I hate AA, blurs image) while flying straight down staring through the gunsight. Not too impressive, but it does run FB just fine at excellent settings. And if you're a poor college student like me who has to skip meals in order to cough up enough money for any toys, then the super cheap 9200's arn't that bad of a deal. I have also tested it with OFP:R and it runs that sim VERY well.

In short, good card for $60 US that will run FB at near maximum detail without any problems. But not an ideal choice if you have more money /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 09:01 PM
I recieved a 128mb ATI Radeon 9200 SE (Slow edition /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif ) in the mail today. I ordered a 128mb 9000 regular but they appearently ran out and sent me the 9200 SE instead. Theoretically the 9000 regular is faster, but not enough to justify spending another $5 on shipping to send this one back. Anyways, I think I have it pretty much optimised now and thought I would post its performance here. I get a steady 25 fps in cockpit at excellent detail at 1024x768x32 bit with 16 bit texture compression but no AA (I hate AA, blurs image) while flying straight down staring through the gunsight. Not too impressive, but it does run FB just fine at excellent settings. And if you're a poor college student like me who has to skip meals in order to cough up enough money for any toys, then the super cheap 9200's arn't that bad of a deal. I have also tested it with OFP:R and it runs that sim VERY well.

In short, good card for $60 US that will run FB at near maximum detail without any problems. But not an ideal choice if you have more money /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

ZG77_Nagual
09-18-2003, 09:04 PM
I have a 9200 on a laptop - 1.6 gig centrino - and it runs pretty well - looking straight down is, if there are forests around - pretty much as slow as she gets so that ain't bad

http://pws.chartermi.net/~cmorey/pics/p47janes.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-19-2003, 12:01 AM
Yeah, those forests are the only thing that cause any problems. I don't know what it is about them but they absolutly kill the FPS when you look at them from almost straight up. Not even flying over the middle of Berlin or Leningrad has this effect.