PDA

View Full Version : Locking onto targets in ACB single player

IBYCFOTA
06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
For how poor the multiplayer lock system is, it looks brilliant in comparison to the mechanics of locking onto targets in single player. Often times a mission requires you to kill a target surrounded by countless guards, which means that killing the wrong target can have disastrous consequences. This is particularly true if you're trying to go for 100% sync on any particular mission where there is little room for error. So why did Ubisoft decide that locking on to NPC guards is literally not possible? You can have them in your sights and the game will fool you into thinking they're locked, but the slightest bit of movement inevitably causes your lock to shift to another NPC. Why can I set a secure lock in multiplayer but not single player? It really defies logic. I'm not even going to try 100%ing the single player because there are far too many situations where this becomes an issue. Anybody know if this is going to be fixed in Revelations?

john63
06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
You can tell who you'll lock onto by looking for a whitish outline around the target character. But more importantly, you don't need to lock onto a target to assassinate them. just walk up all stealthy-like and use hidden blade, low-profile. The only time I lock on in single player is when I've been exposed and I need to fight a group of guards. And air assassinations, of course.

IBYCFOTA
06-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by john63:
You can tell who you'll lock onto by looking for a whitish outline around the target character. But more importantly, you don't need to lock onto a target to assassinate them. just walk up all stealthy-like and use hidden blade, low-profile. The only time I lock on in single player is when I've been exposed and I need to fight a group of guards. And air assassinations, of course.

I'm aware of all of these things. When I say that I can't lock onto NPC's I mean that the 'lock' aspect is nonexistant. If I change the camera angle while locked on to somebody my lock will move to another NPC guard if one is nearby. In many situations, you're right, it's not a big deal. However when you're trying to Assassinate somebody from a rooftop the locking system continually lets you down and shifts at the worst times.

I just don't understand why I can't mark a target and have the lock stay like the MP. It would make the game in general play much smoother in all sorts of different situations.

Highwayman48
06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by john63:
You can tell who you'll lock onto by looking for a whitish outline around the target character. But more importantly, you don't need to lock onto a target to assassinate them. just walk up all stealthy-like and use hidden blade, low-profile. The only time I lock on in single player is when I've been exposed and I need to fight a group of guards. And air assassinations, of course. This is a good explanation.

Blind2Society
06-12-2011, 10:53 PM
The lock system in SP is rubbish. You can't aim it and the range is atrocious.

lukaszep
06-13-2011, 03:44 AM
But the lock does stay, you just tap R1 like in MP.
But the lock can be extremely annoying say when your chasing a thief that then goes up on the roof, and the camera follows him making it impossible to see what you're doing.

IBYCFOTA
06-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by lukaszep:
But the lock can be extremely annoying say when your chasing a thief that then goes up on the roof, and the camera follows him making it impossible to see what you're doing.

All pressing RB/R1 does regardless of whether or not you tap it or hold it is pause the game to bring up your item wheel. Trust me, I've tried just about everything. There is no way to keep a secure lock on your target in single player.

lukaszep
06-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by IBYCFOTA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukaszep:

All pressing RB/R1 does regardless of whether or not you tap it or hold it is pause the game to bring up your item wheel. Trust me, I've tried just about everything. There is no way to keep a secure lock on your target in single player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, the weapon wheel is R2/RT :S

PhiIs1618033
06-13-2011, 05:54 AM
I agree, the lock system is bad. Not so much the locking on itself, as the lock-switching. I LOCKED onto someone.
If I lock a door, I don't want the lock to shift to another door, do I?

GallopRider
06-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
I agree, the lock system is bad. Not so much the locking on itself, as the lock-switching.

Totally agreed. I don't mind the lock system all that much, it's the switching that really irks me. Personally, I wish SP had the same system as MP. Holding down LT/L2 and moving the right stick to aim the lock target is great. SP could use it...badly. I've been desynched countless times in SP simply because my lock switched. Ugh, especially in the last part of the Colosseum mission.

However, the lock switching in SP is necessary in order to rack up those kill streaks. Pardon the cliche, but it's a two-edged sword.
Still, being able to aim the lock would be nice...

darkghost1995
06-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I wish they kept AC2 lock on system. I thought it was a great improvement over AC1 lock on and then they just killed what worked with the lock on system with ACB.

IBYCFOTA
06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by lukaszep:
Um, the weapon wheel is R2/RT :S

On the 360 it's actually RB, I assumed the PS3 equivalent would be R1. Either way there is no way to prevent your lock from shifting the way you can in multiplayer which is the crux of the issue.

Originally posted by GallopRider:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
I agree, the lock system is bad. Not so much the locking on itself, as the lock-switching.

Totally agreed. I don't mind the lock system all that much, it's the switching that really irks me. Personally, I wish SP had the same system as MP. Holding down LT/L2 and moving the right stick to aim the lock target is great. SP could use it...badly. I've been desynched countless times in SP simply because my lock switched. Ugh, especially in the last part of the Colosseum mission.

However, the lock switching in SP is necessary in order to rack up those kill streaks. Pardon the cliche, but it's a two-edged sword.
Still, being able to aim the lock would be nice... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice to see some reading comprehension in this thread!

Interesting that you bring up the lack of a true lock system being a result of the combat, I never really thought of that. It does definitely make sense, but I do think there ought to be a way to set a secure lock if you want to. The modern controller has too many functions for me to believe that Ubisoft couldn't seamlessly implement this into the game.

masterfenix2009
06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't know about you,but I have never had a problem with it. All I do is tap the left trigger. It doesn't move at all.

Blind2Society
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
The lock system in SP is rubbish. You can't aim it and the range is atrocious.
Allow me to elaborate. When I say it's rubbish I mean just what you all are saying. The switching, along with the camera movement when chasing a locked target is terrible. Not being able to aim my lock is extremely annoying. Fianlly, the range issue. It is simply rediculous. In MP, so long as the character is visible, you can lock. This is not so in SP and it really ticks me off.

Originally posted by assassino151:
I don't know about you,but I have never had a problem with it. All I do is tap the left trigger. It doesn't move at all.
I felt the same way until I played multiplayer and realised how much better it was. Granted it has it's flaws, for example, locking onto characters you are not aiming at. Regardless it's still better than SP.

As for the combat system I'm not sure I see an issue. The lock changes when someone attacks you, which is not needed and is more annoying than anything. The only time it should switch is when I switch it myself or when I kill the person I'm locked on to which still allows the kill streaks. Currently the lock switches with any movement of the left stick (I don't know what simpleton thought that was a good idea.)

brotherhood511
06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I totally agree with how annoying the lock system is in the SP. I find that when I lock onto a guard and I move the camera it suddenly moves to a different one. What usually follows is a long, desperate attempt to lock back to the one I wanted.

Maybe make a firm locking system for dispatching targets while being stealthy in low profile, while keeping the same system in place now for combat in high profile for counter kills.