PDA

View Full Version : Ever had days like this?...

Divine-Wind
03-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Alright, so I finally get around to doing the first level of the New Guinea 1942 Campaign (DGen, flying P-40s), and everything goes smoothly, from take-off, to where we intercept the fairly large Japanese force attacking our airfield. Our flight splits up, with me, Red 2, following our Major. (I had no choice... I can stand anything but that annoying voice calling out 'WTF?! GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE IDIOT!)
We get on the tail of a Betty, which fires like mad back at us, missing me a whole lot, 'cept for a round to the engine. But almost every tracer hits Red 1, rendering his beautifully purring engine little more than a put-put-putter for a few seconds. After that, his engine cuts out completely. Amazingly, he decides to let me go on and take out the bomber (he never said anything, which to me means 'Why not?...').
I put a few rounds into it, and it goes down smoking and spouting flames. Not bad for a 50 cal ******.
I turn back, and suddenly I hear the Major screaming at me to get back on course. So I get in position, only to overshoot. So I circle back, and overshoot him AGAIN. So I repeat the process maybe 6 times, each time being yelled at for 'getting off course' (**** dangit, Major, you wanna try this?!), before I decide to go against everything in me and set it on autopilot. I notice that I'm getting dangerously close to the sand up ahead, and take off autopilot and pull up. Suddenly I notice this:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3559/aiditch19tl.png
Red 3 apparently chose life, and pulled up with me.
I look back a few moments later, and notice the same thing:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6976/aiditch20pt.png
Red 4 goes down with Major what's-his-name, which results in this:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3241/aiditch31ol.png
I just started laughing, all the while Red 3 is yelling at the other guys to return to base.

To make a super long story short, I turned back to base, belly landed (my engine somehow died), and for some reason (prolly because of the belly land) I had to refly. cr@p dangit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Now, has anyone else had something like this happen?

widdershins
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I have had flight leaders telling me to "get back on course"... a course that leads right into a mountain.
I have also watched the rest of my flight call for landing clearence, fly the pattern and one by one drop out of the sky on final approach.

It can be quite entertaining, `specially when you are a dive bomber stuck in the back of the line because the rest of the flight always destroys the targets before you can get a chance... can't help but laugh and feel a little vindicated.

horseback
03-30-2006, 11:42 PM
My Dad, a long-retired USAF Master Sargeant air controller, loves to tell the story of the time when he was in Korea in 1959, controlling two ROK F-86s that were assigned to gunnery practice on the periphery of his base (I think it was Osan, but I was six at the time, and all he brought me back after a year was a set of fancy chopsticks...).

To make a long story short, the flight leader was making his pass on the ground target just at the very same moment Number Two got the same target in his sights. Dad says that there was an explosion of very agitated Korean over the radio (normal ops were all in English), followed by "This is Blue One. My engine has stopped. I am going to get as much altitude as possible, then I am punching out." in very calm, very good and clear English.

Dad says that they watched him through binoculars from the tower as his smoking Sabrejet used all the kinetic energy of his diving pass at the range to zoom up to about 3 or 4 thousand feet, at which point he jettisoned his canopy and ejected. His 'chute blossomed and he landed safely, his wingman circling him, as his aircraft followed a ballistic path into some nearby fields.

Just before he touched down, as Dad and his crew were rousting the crash crews to go get Blue One, the radio crackled to life once more.

"This is Blue Two, punching out with my leader," this time in a very heavily accented and stressed out voice, at which point Number Two's canopy popped off and he ejected, sending a perfectly good, almost brand new late model F-86 to join the one he'd already shot down.

When the crash crew arrived they found Blue One kicking the hell out of Blue Two...

cheers

horseback

PBNA-Boosher
03-31-2006, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by horseback:
My Dad, a long-retired USAF Master Sargeant air controller, loves to tell the story of the time when he was in Korea in 1959, controlling two ROK F-86s that were assigned to gunnery practice on the periphery of his base (I think it was Osan, but I was six at the time, and all he brought me back after a year was a set of fancy chopsticks...).

To make a long story short, the flight leader was making his pass on the ground target just at the very same moment Number Two got the same target in his sights. Dad says that there was an explosion of very agitated Korean over the radio (normal ops were all in English), followed by "This is Blue One. My engine has stopped. I am going to get as much altitude as possible, then I am punching out." in very calm, very good and clear English.

Dad says that they watched him through binoculars from the tower as his smoking Sabrejet used all the kinetic energy of his diving pass at the range to zoom up to about 3 or 4 thousand feet, at which point he jettisoned his canopy and ejected. His 'chute blossomed and he landed safely, his wingman circling him, as his aircraft followed a ballistic path into some nearby fields.

Just before he touched down, as Dad and his crew were rousting the crash crews to go get Blue One, the radio crackled to life once more.

"This is Blue Two, punching out with my leader," this time in a very heavily accented and stressed out voice, at which point Number Two's canopy popped off and he ejected, sending a perfectly good, almost brand new late model F-86 to join the one he'd already shot down.

When the crash crew arrived they found Blue One kicking the hell out of Blue Two...

cheers

horseback

After chute shooting, the thing that pisses me off the most is when a wingman gets overzealous and doesn't do his job. Furthermore, it's the guy who shoots OVER the shoulder of his leader that makes me go nuts. When this happens offline in my campaign I find the person who did it and see how he likes it. Then, to make my satisfaction complete, I will not come to his aid if he gets in trouble. (They don't come to mine either)

When in an offline campaign, I find it's much better to be the leader, but let your wingman take point. The AI is so stupid about proximity targets that I still have a lot to shoot at.

Rammjaeger
03-31-2006, 06:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
To make a super long story short, I turned back to base, belly landed (my engine somehow died), and for some reason (prolly because of the belly land) I had to refly. cr@p dangit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
QUOTE]

That's strange. In my experience belly landing, even landing in a nOOb way (wings torn off etc.) constitute a completed mission (and I fly with 'no instant success' turned on).

eskimo-again
03-31-2006, 06:56 AM
see, i just deleted the sound file and went my merry way.

Divine-Wind
03-31-2006, 07:57 AM
I prefer to use the radio mute key. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

About the crash landing, it may have been due to me missing the runway. (I touched down on one of the taxiways)

LStarosta
03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
After chute shooting, the thing that pisses me off the most is when a wingman gets overzealous and doesn't do his job. Furthermore, it's the guy who shoots OVER the shoulder of his leader that makes me go nuts. When this happens offline in my campaign I find the person who did it and see how he likes it. Then, to make my satisfaction complete, I will not come to his aid if he gets in trouble. (They don't come to mine either)

When in an offline campaign, I find it's much better to be the leader, but let your wingman take point. The AI is so stupid about proximity targets that I still have a lot to shoot at.

Way to stick it to the AI!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

F6_Ace
03-31-2006, 04:07 PM
AI went down the pan several patches ago.

Best to fly online nowadays...which is just as well as maybe it's a ploy for pay to play http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif