PDA

View Full Version : Added PF to AEP, now experiencing repeated screen freezes

Tallyho1961
10-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Any help here is appreciated:
I have been flying the IL2 series for a year now and have never had any technical difficulties. Yesterday I added PF as an add-on and now, for the first time, I am experiencing regular freeze-ups, necessitating a forced restart of my computer in order to resume play. Each time the sound remains, but the image freezes. This is happening both in new PF environments and older FB/AEP environments. I realize that there could be many reasons for this and much data may be required, but is anybody else seeing this and have any general advice that might help me to find a solution.

Thank you.

Tallyho1961
10-30-2004, 07:56 AM
I have been flying the IL2 series for a year now and have never had any technical difficulties. Yesterday I added PF as an add-on and now, for the first time, I am experiencing regular freeze-ups, necessitating a forced restart of my computer in order to resume play. Each time the sound remains, but the image freezes. This is happening both in new PF environments and older FB/AEP environments. I realize that there could be many reasons for this and much data may be required, but is anybody else seeing this and have any general advice that might help me to find a solution.

Thank you.

AFJ_rsm
10-30-2004, 08:19 AM
im gettin the same exact thing.... im planning on reformatting my rig in a couple of weeks (as it is much needed by now) and reinstall everything. hope that helps.

VOL_Mountain
10-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Did you read the "Read Me" file?

See the section about some ATI drivers that cause unstable conditions.

GT182
10-30-2004, 09:40 AM
It's also been said that a clean install of FB-AEP-PF is best, without installing patches 2.01 and 2.04. PF has them included when using it as an addon and will make the install v3.00.

Save your original FB/AEP 2.04 out side the the UBI Soft folder first before the above clean install, if you wish to use it also.

rodion_zero
10-30-2004, 09:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
It's also been said that a clean install of FB-AEP-PF is best, without installing patches 2.01 and 2.04. PF has them included when using it as an addon and will make the install v3.00. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I did.

At first, I just installed PF over my old FB+AEP, but then I had the stutters really really bad, considering that I ran AEP+PF on an older PC. But when I completely uninstalled FB+AEP, THEN I did a hard disk defrag, THEN reinstalled FB+AEP, THEN installed PF, everything is more or less smoother now.

LOL all the extra work reminded me of doing the infamous "FALCON DANCE" for preparing a good, stable Falcon 4.0+ADDONS installation.

-RODION

Tallyho1961
10-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks to those who have responded to my message. I am using Cat 4.14 drivers, which the ReadMe does not warn about and which did not cause problems under AEP.

I guess I could reinstall the whole shebang, but want to make sure I do it correctly. I assume that I:

1. Uninstall everything and defrag.
2. Install FB (what about FB patches?)
3. Install AEP
4. Install PF (patches included with PF)
5. Hope for the best.

If I go this route, I do not want to lose any custom keyboard or system settings, which would be a pain to reapply. Can I just save a copy of my config.ini, bldconfig.ini and il2setup.ini files and recopy them back into the reinstalled game folder, or will the uninstall leave these behind?

Any further help or alternate suggestions before I start digging are appreciated.

CHDT
10-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Clean install after a hardrive format: stutters too!

BuzzU
10-30-2004, 11:20 AM
I did a format, clean install of FB/AEP/PF with no patches. I have a nvidia card. I did get get a freeze one time just sitting on a carrier while getting 90 fps. First one i've ever gotten on this system.
It wasn't a total system freeze as I could Alt-Ctrl-Del to get out of the game to shut it off, but the game was frooze for sure.

Tallyho1961
10-30-2004, 12:06 PM
I was just going through some other threads - people with a similar problem - and it may be a heat issue. Based on what I read, I took the side of my rig off and was able to play far longer before the freeze, which I had begun to suspect was time-related - I was even thinking of timing my flights to see if there was any pattern. I don't know how to deal with this one - a bigger fan? More Fans, a BIOS setting? It's brand new to me. Anybody got any expeience with heat management?

VOL_Mountain
10-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Does your MoBo support software to display temperature?

Give some consideration to lapping heat sinks and using Actic Silver if you suspect a probles. I did this for my CPU when I upgraded. Additional fans won't help much unless you have good CPU/GPU to heat sink thermal transfer first.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi,

If you think it could be overheating, simply play another game which is onerous...or one of the 3D benchmarking programs and see if you experience lockups with those.

If you suspect it's just PF, are you experiencing the problem on DCG campaigns only or single missions/QMB? You might find it's simply the number of AI which is causing the freezing...

Cheers,
Norris

Atomic_Marten
10-30-2004, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VOL_Mountain:

See the section about some ATI drivers that cause unstable conditions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is always some issues with ATI. I don't know is it worth to purchase their Radeons, considering problems related to it (some guys were saying that Radeons won't work on certain MBO's and stuff - dunno if it's true though, but didn't wanna take any unneccesary risks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). That is the main reason why I changed my mind in the last moment and bought myself nVidia graphic card.

Tallyho1961
10-30-2004, 01:52 PM
I still can't believe it, but I solved the problem with a $14 fan. I installed it at the back of my case and have been flying without a hitch fOr the last hour. Frankly, I'm in shock. Thanks to all who chipped in on this, I was convinced I was about to enter MoBo, driver, uninstall, reinstall hell.

Fliegeroffizier
10-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm curious...why would PF cause extra Heat to be generated??

Spectre_USA
10-30-2004, 02:09 PM
I've got 5 fans purrin' away under the hood, and cooler weather than earlier in the summer.
Also having these lock-ups with the sound looping while flying campaign on a nVidia 6800.

Has happened twice in 7 missions. Just did a very thorough scandisk as the last one was a dilly with
the hard-drive light on the whole time. Am using the 3.11 Beta version of DGen...

hook124
10-30-2004, 02:18 PM
k, clean install of IL2FB good, now when trying to install AEP addon it says it stopped because IL2 Forgotten Battles was not found. any suggestions?

Tallyho1961
10-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi Fliegeroffizier: I have no idea about your question above. Could it be that PF is more resource-intensive than the prior games? Maybe my CPU was close to maxed out with AEP and PF pushed it over the edge - I'm no expert on this stuff. All I know for sure is the fan fixed the problem and I'm flying again.

InsidianVA
10-30-2004, 03:52 PM
hook124, sometimes the IL2 installation does note enter it's regisrty setting correctly, i.e. not adding a language key. This is how you solve the problem. Go to start, run, regedit. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles. On the right, you will see the keys, you should have 3. If you only have 2, it will probably be missing the lanmguage key. To add the key, right-click on IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles on the left, then new, then string value. Now you will have a new entry on the right. Enter language where it says New Value #1 and hit enter. Now, right click on it, then click modify. For value, enter en_us. Now you should be able to finish your installations with no problems.

InsidianVA
10-30-2004, 03:57 PM
lol, almost forgot why i was here..I too am having lock up problems, and I am having them very frequently. My computer is not over heating. I have a geforce 6800, with the new 66.81 drivers. I have tried several different drivers with no luck. Also, I do not have PF installed as an addon right now, so there are no problems arising from that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My system:
ABIT NF7-S ver. 2.0 motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (barton core) 2.08 Ghz
1024MB pc3200 DDR
eVga Geforce 6800
120GB Samsung SATA Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro SP1

hook124
10-31-2004, 02:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyrin69: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the info, but I figured it out, that is the English part of it.....(I'm not a FAN of "autoplay" so I don't have it on.....so no English selection prior to installation =no AEP find IL2 FB and halts install

thanks again though

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

InsidianVA
10-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Hook124-glad you figured it out. Ok, back to my problem. It does seem to be an overheating problem after all. How could this game cause so much heat? I can play Doom 3 on Ultra settings for hours on end and never overheat, but I can only play PF for 30 minutes or less and it overheats my computer? I just dont get it...something isnt right here. I currently have a 12" oscillating fan pointing straight inside my open case, and it has solved the problem, but geez, what am I gonna have to do, cut 10 more fan holes in my case?!?!

Electro_City
10-31-2004, 08:44 AM
I had the same problem as you after adding PF, ( using cat4.10 ) so I installed the checksix cat4.5 and havent had a single issue since.

TC_Stele
10-31-2004, 09:32 AM
Wanted to throw in that I'm experiencing similar problems. Defragged, uninstalled/reinstalled game and hoping for best. Could be my machine but not sure til I try it out today. I just know that I didn't experience this at all with FB/AEP.

Reschke
11-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Same issue here only running PF as a stand alone product. It depends on the mission but they are only happening in the DCG campaigns. Tonight I am going to uninstall FB/AEP and PF then reinstall all of the programs together and go from there and see what happens.

System Specs:
A64 3200+
Gigabyte K8N Pro
1GB DDR3200
ATA-133 Maxtor 40GB w/ 8mb cache
BFG 6800 OC 128MB
WinXP Pro
DX 9.0c

Reschke
11-01-2004, 01:59 PM
bump

gates123
11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
for overheating issues check the heat sink for dust collection, no need to add more fans.

ib2rad
06-14-2007, 08:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tallyho1961:

Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ib2rad
06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ib2rad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tallyho1961:

Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a newbie. PF 'puter freezes after 4-5 minutes, necessitating forced restart. Went thru tech advise via phone, gave over Diag data, received "solved" message, but freezing persists. My hardware said to meet requirements. Any help??

VW-IceFire
06-14-2007, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VOL_Mountain:

See the section about some ATI drivers that cause unstable conditions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is always some issues with ATI. I don't know is it worth to purchase their Radeons, considering problems related to it (some guys were saying that Radeons won't work on certain MBO's and stuff - dunno if it's true though, but didn't wanna take any unneccesary risks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). That is the main reason why I changed my mind in the last moment and bought myself nVidia graphic card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are issues with nVidia and ATI cards. If you frequent hardware sites and look into the help areas you hear some pretty dire problems that people have. But its certainly not one over the other.

-HH-Quazi
06-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Yea. All you have to do is go visit the eVga forums and read some of the issues those guys are having. And this is true for any graphics card forums, ATI or nVidia.