PDA

View Full Version : Wtf on the "Wtf" Ending

Varo_Koyan
07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
So anyway, I just finished Assassin's Creed 2, and it is indeed one of the best games I have played. But, one thing just watered-down the experience. What the crap is up with the ending?

I, for one, was hoping for a conspiracy reaching back to the early centuries of human civilization. Something to the effect of the Templars, the ultimate unseen power in the world, controlling society in the backgrounds of history, until they were powerful enough, the technology was advanced enough, the world was connected together, and almost all the Pieces of Eden together, to unleash a diabolical plan to overthrow the world governments and establish a New World Order in a plot so terrifying and unimaginable it would truly be an "Oh dear God" moment.

But I guess that's the difference here, we got a "Wtf" instead of an "Oh dear God" moment. And it truly is a "Wtf" moment (in a bad way). See, instead of some stellar story-writing tying in all the important moments in history together with the Pieces and the Templars (Which I had assumed would happen, with the puzzels in the Truth thing), they decide to put in some over-used end-of-the-world-sun-go-explodeh cliche and some sci-fi alien crap (which I absolutely, vehemently hate to see in a game or movie that's really not sci-fi).

Now, I haven't played through AC1 all the way, so I may not have the complete story. But aren't the Templars supposed to be kind of a big threat, one that would take over the Earth? Because they just seem like a nuisance now with the ending (Especially when Abstergos sends five guys and an old man to take care of Assassin's who happen to have deadly information against them).

Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else feel it was lack-luster or that it deserved more? Because to me it just destroys the credibility of the story. I sincerely hope AC:B will make up for this, and maybe its rumored "Wtf" will make up for this one's, and maybe it will cover up AC2's ending, but I really don't see how it can recover.

No matter what though, I really do love the game, the characters, and the story (except, of course, the ending), and can't wait for Brotherhood.

Comments and Opinions are definitely welcome. (That's why I made this thread, isn't it?)

Rompipalle1488
07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums! =)
I agree, the ending did have a sense of emptiness.
Maybe you should try and get an advising job at Ubisoft?

EzioAssassin51
07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Varo_Koyan:
See, instead of some stellar story-writing tying in all the important moments in history together with the Pieces and the Templars (Which I had assumed would happen, with the puzzels in the Truth thing), they decide to put in some over-used end-of-the-world-sun-go-explodeh cliche and some sci-fi alien crap (which I absolutely, vehemently hate to see in a game or movie that's really not sci-fi).

You know, the game is sort of sci-fi! If only a bit...

But anyway, i thought it was a great ending and the reason i lived it is because i know that Ubi is going to find some way to put the Templars in there as a threat to stop them from stopping the sun from exploding. Doesn't Abstergo want to send a satellite out into space to enslave everybody after all the wreckage/end of the world? (I might have it wrong though!)

But i agree, the AC:B one should be great especially seeing as it is with Desmond instead of Ezio (because Nolan North was doing the voice when he was like 'WTF?')

Also, welcome to the forums

Murcuseo
07-11-2010, 12:39 AM
lol no matter what game you play if you go into it with expectations like that you're bound to be disappointed... especially as it's the second in a series.

You might get that in AC:B, you might not but if I was you I'd just sit back and let it unravel rather than pick at it until it falls apart http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

SWJS
07-11-2010, 12:54 AM
You know, the game is sort of sci-fi! If only a bit...
Actually the entire premise of the game, including the animus and genetic memory, is purely sci-fi. Plus, all throughout the series, the POEs and TWCB played a major role in the plot. It was obvious TWCB would eventually turn up.

I loved it, and thought Minerva's message was a brilliant twist. That part I wasn't expecting.

Honestly am I the only one who could actually comprehend and enjoy AC2's ending? :/

EzioAssassin51
07-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You know, the game is sort of sci-fi! If only a bit...
Actually the entire premise of the game, including the animus and genetic memory, is purely sci-fi. Plus, all throughout the series, the POEs and TWCB played a major role in the plot. It was obvious TWCB would eventually turn up.

I loved it, and thought Minerva's message was a brilliant twist. That part I wasn't expecting.

Honestly am I the only one who could actually comprehend and enjoy AC2's ending? :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could comprehend it but i only fully understood it in my second play-through seeing as i wasn't as surprised!

Abeonis
07-11-2010, 06:09 AM
I don't see what the issue is people have with understnaindg or comprehending the ending. It's almost as bad as people's inability to simply press 'jump' on the Acre tower...

So anyway, I just finished Assassin's Creed 2, and it is indeed one of the best games I have played. But, one thing just watered-down the experience. What the crap is up with the ending?

I, for one, was hoping for a conspiracy reaching back to the early centuries of human civilization. Something to the effect of the Templars, the ultimate unseen power in the world, controlling society in the backgrounds of history, until they were powerful enough, the technology was advanced enough, the world was connected together, and almost all the Pieces of Eden together, to unleash a diabolical plan to overthrow the world governments and establish a New World Order in a plot so terrifying and unimaginable it would truly be an "Oh dear God" moment.

Because that's not an over-used, predictable and to be honest, downright stupid ending to a game. I mean, how many game/novel series have that sort of organisation in it. The Templar's already fulfil that role in the AC series, through their ownership of Abstergo, NASA and the likes.

But I guess that's the difference here, we got a "Wtf" instead of an "Oh dear God" moment. And it truly is a "Wtf" moment (in a bad way). See, instead of some stellar story-writing tying in all the important moments in history together with the Pieces and the Templars (Which I had assumed would happen, with the puzzels in the Truth thing), they decide to put in some over-used end-of-the-world-sun-go-explodeh cliche and some sci-fi alien crap (which I absolutely, vehemently hate to see in a game or movie that's really not sci-fi).

Actually, I don't think I've seen a game series where a solar flare (they never once indicate the "sun-go-explodeh" at all) was imminent. The entire series, as mentioned by EzioTheAssassin, is sci-fi. The very first prt of the first game is Desmond in the immediate future climbing out of a machine that reads genetic memories, being forced to search for a device that allows the possessor to control to thoughts a bodily actions of his victims... strikingly sci-fi to me.

Now, I haven't played through AC1 all the way, so I may not have the complete story. But aren't the Templars supposed to be kind of a big threat, one that would take over the Earth?

No, they've never been said to say that. The want world peace, just like the Assassins. The difference is the means by which they would obtain this peace; by removing free will.

Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else feel it was lack-luster or that it deserved more?

No.

Murcuseo
07-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Abeonis:
I don't see what the issue is people have with understnaindg or comprehending the ending. It's almost as bad as people's inability to simply [press 'jump' on the Acre tower...

The answers always obvious when you know it lol

lilbacchant
07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll admit to being underwhelmed w/ the ending of AC2 immediately following my first playthru. But that, as I've now come to realize, is simply because I found it unnerving. Why?

As the OP said (and, yes, I'd played AC:1 several times before playing AC:2), I was expecting a continuation of the simple, though imaginative and well written, storyline about the "big, bad, conspiracy via secret organization" that we've all become accustomed to via novels, movies, other games, etc.

Once I got over what I expected it would be -- took a couple of days, to be honest -- I began to enjoy the ending and all of its potential ramifications.

Thus, I think the problem a lot of people have with the ending isn't that they can't understand or appreciate it, it's that they're, at least temporarily, blocked by their expectations of where the story was going.

And, because of that, in my mind at least, it's what makes it a great WTF! ending.

Abeonis
07-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abeonis:
I don't see what the issue is people have with understnaindg or comprehending the ending. It's almost as bad as people's inability to simply [press 'jump' on the Acre tower...

The answers always obvious when you know it lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is true, although I got it first time. Didn't even know peole were having issues until a I checked the forums a few playthroughs later.

Varo_Koyan
07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't see what the issue is people have with understnaindg or comprehending the ending. It's almost as bad as people's inability to simply press 'jump' on the Acre tower...

I had no trouble at all comprehending the ending, if that's what you're trying to say. What's not to get? It's basically the theory that the Gods of civilizations are aliens. We were created by them as a slave race, right? I heard about it on the History Channel, too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Because that's not an over-used, predictable and to be honest, downright stupid ending to a game. I mean, how many game/novel series have that sort of organisation in it. The Templar's already fulfil that role in the AC series, through their ownership of Abstergo, NASA and the likes.

And okay, the secret organization thing is a bit cliche, but not so much as the idea of the Earth being destroyed by a cataclysmic event, solar flares or otherwise. You see that in many books and movies today, maybe not so much in video games, but still.

But I really think the ending just takes depth away from the story. The story would have been about exposing and destroying the said secret organization, a realization that we have to turn away from the old ideas of human thinking, and solidifying the ideas of freedom, Democracy, World Peace, etc. Now these can still be part of the story, but I think the new plot twist will just avert from and weaken that.

lol no matter what game you play if you go into it with expectations like that you're bound to be disappointed... especially as it's the second in a series.

I actually didn't come into the game with that high expectations (atleast not for the story. The gameplay, yes, and it delivered). I actually didn't know there was a "Wtf" ending. And actually I thought the game was going to end when he found out almost everyone who had guided him was and assassin, and was accepted into the order. Which didn't disappoint me at all, except I thought the game was a little short.

I think the reason is the ending just wasn't believable to me, they just didn't sell it to me. It was kind of an "Oh, come on" kind of thing. Also, I think it's too reminiscent of the 2012 hype that's going on, with changes here and there.

And I think I may have been a little over-zealous in criticizing the game as to seem to attack it. It really didn't bother me as much as I have seemed to let on. I just wanted to get it off my chest and see what other people thought about it, both the ending and my opinion of it. I don't think I'm going to throw the game away in a rage or anything, and it is still one of my favorite games.

lilbacchant
07-11-2010, 02:35 PM
And okay, the secret organization thing is a bit cliche, but not so much as the idea of the Earth being destroyed by a cataclysmic event, solar flares or otherwise. You see that in many books and movies today, maybe not so much in video games, but still.

But I really think the ending just takes depth away from the story. The story would have been about exposing and destroying the said secret organization, a realization that we have to turn away from the old ideas of human thinking, and solidifying the ideas of freedom, Democracy, World Peace, etc. Now these can still be part of the story, but I think the new plot twist will just avert from and weaken that.

I see your point, and admittedly that same thing worried, and still worries, me a bit about the ending. There's the sense that they introduced a big twist just for the sake of throwing people for a loop; whereas, good storytelling relies on depth and character development vs. plot twists.

I think the reason is the ending just wasn't believable to me, they just didn't sell it to me. It's too reminiscent of the 2012 hype that's going on, with changes here and there.

Yeah, we're now faced w/ two currently popular (overused?) thematic storylines. But, I think, credit should be given for the unique, imaginative weave they're binding them together with. The question remains as to whether the story, as a whole, will suffer from trying to tackle too much: will it result in superficial plot devices as the only means to advance the story, or can they maintain depth along the way?

And I think I may have been a little over-zealous in criticizing the game as to seem to attack it. It really didn't bother me as much as I have seemed to let on. I just wanted to get it off my chest and see what other people thought about it, both the ending and my opinion of it. I don't think I'm going to throw the game away in a rage or anything, and it is still one of my favorite games.

I don't think I'm that far off from your view. In fact, I think the biggest difference is that I have a bit more optimism that they can manage the story w/out it becoming unwieldy.

A good chunk of my optimism stems from their Creative Director having said that they had a general outline of the trilogy even while doing AC:1. If they were just making it up as they went along, I'd be very, very worried.

lilbacchant
07-11-2010, 02:50 PM
BTW, I'll add that what I suspect might be happening from the writer's standpoint is partially due to AC's success -- i.e., it was originally conceived of as a trilogy, but there's no way, given it's success, they want to drop the franchise after AC:3.

Hence, the secret-organiztion conspiracy will continue to run thru the franchise after AC:3, but the 2012 apocolyptic story will play itself out w/ the end of the trilogy. Of course, that's just my guess ...

SWJS
07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Gods of civilizations are aliens
Not quite. TWCB are really just humans who were more advanced, and came before us. They genetically engineered us as slaves, and even put synapses into our brains to control us with the POEs. We didn't comprehend them, so boom. We claim them to be gods.

DJBare
07-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I enjoyed the ending, and really not that inexpected after seeing the truth video, the "wtf" came for me when Minerva directly addressed Desmond.

lilbacchant
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by DJBare:
I enjoyed the ending, and really not that inexpected after seeing the truth video, the "wtf" came for me when Minerva directly addressed Desmond.

Yeah, her addressing Dez direct was a mindblow.