PDA

View Full Version : OT: Surrender of Japan delayed by pancakes...

Crash_Moses
03-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Read this in the paper today and just had to post it.

In a nutshell, the young lad entrusted with delivering the official notice of Japan's surrender to the President took his own sweet time...

You can read the full article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-03-13-pancake-messenger_x.htm

Crash_Moses
03-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Read this in the paper today and just had to post it.

In a nutshell, the young lad entrusted with delivering the official notice of Japan's surrender to the President took his own sweet time...

You can read the full article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-03-13-pancake-messenger_x.htm

darkhorizon11
03-15-2006, 07:16 PM
That is pretty silly.

Sometime even seemingly unimportant people make the biggest difference.

vocatx
03-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Neat story. Thanks for posting it.

Crash_Moses
03-16-2006, 10:09 AM
You're welcome.

I just can't believe they gave it to a 16-year-old to deliver. I mean...somebody must have read it before they gave it to him, right?

And I'd really like to see that short film...

woofiedog
03-16-2006, 02:21 PM
LoL... Very interesting story.
Thank's

Chuck_Older
03-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Seriously now...what person in their right mind wouldn't stop for some yummy pancakes?

Waldo.Pepper
03-16-2006, 03:44 PM
I am sure that this is plausible. But to my skeptical ears this sounds like a tall tale, and embellishment if you will.

Imagine the old guy going a little senile perhaps or just desiring a little attention making more of it that there was - combined with a young struggling filmmaker and stir in some ambition.

Now add....

"We did everything they tell you not to do," the young filmmaker says. "We used extras, made a period piece, shot eight locations and used kids. This film theoretically should not have been made."

All this for a 16 minute film.

Now add that the subject died recently and we cannot verify any of it.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm being too suspicious in my old age. Sorry if I'm being a d 1 ck.

Crash_Moses
03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism.

However, USA Today isn't exactly a tabloid and lacking any primary sources I hesitate to use my imagination to explore alternate explanations (I'll leave that for CNN).

Although your theory certainly sounds plausible...without any evidence to the contrary I'm going to have to take the story at face value.

(an aside: You didn't come off sounding like a jerk. It was an honest opinion. No worries here). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Waldo.Pepper
03-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Re USA today not being a tabloid.. of course not. Media (of all stripes) get fooled by hoaxers all the time. Hitler Diaries, Tasaday tribesmen, etc. etc. etc. Who knows. I think it a sweet story too - maybe even true. I sure wouldn't call the old guy on it if I were at his bedside.

Crash_Moses
03-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Me neither. But you're right...corroboration from another source would give it more legitimacy.